Today is International Day for Tolerance. Have We Become a Society of Being Less Tolerant?

https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/international-day-for-tolerance/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Day_for_Tolerance

This day was created to encourage mindfulness and faith in human rights – in order to encourage equality and diversity across the world, the UN introduced The International Day for Tolerance in 1996. It followed the United Nations Year for Tolerance, which was 1995, in order to observe its teachings annually.

There’s no doubt that a world free of tolerance would not be a good place to be. It is the belief of those supporting this day that such a world should never exist – and that everyone has a right to their expression, religion, and their conscience without fear of bias or ridicule. In addition, it teaches that a persons racial or religious background is inconsequential to the potential for tolerance and friendship between them.

The UN defines tolerance as respect, appreciate and acceptance of the diversity of the world’s cultures and all the ways that we are human. It is a human right to receive, and should be expected to be practiced by not just individuals, but groups and states. Human rights is the core of this thought – as such, it supports the notion that humanity has the right to live in peace.

The International Day for Tolerance supports the notion that education is a key factor in preventing intolerance across the human race. On this day, we are encouraged to educate and learn how to practice solidarity between ethnic, social and cultural groups.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With this said. Has this day fallen of deaf ears? Have we become LESS TOLERANT to others who are of different skin color, faith, height, and other?

Whether it be a group or certain groups, or an individual who caused something, and we label the one person for an action, everyone is different. That what makes the WORLD what it is.

827
legalboxers is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think the US at least has become more tolerant, not less.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, we have become less tolerant as a society. And honestly, I think it's because of days and movements like this, at least in a large part.

I didn't really think much of these anti-hate movements in the past, but these days, I'm starting to think that they do more to plant seeds of hate than they do to dig them up. These anti-hate movements have the exact opposite result of what they intend.

I say this because I think that they inflate a sense of pride and ego, which can easily become self-righteous arrogance, which can therefore make a person less tolerant. Such victims of this mentality think that because they support a certain cause or a certain political candidate, they truly are the tolerant ones and anyone who thinks otherwise is a racist, a bigot, a homophobe, a chauvinist, a misogynist, a Nazi, or any other nasty name in the book of nasty names. Then it creates a sense of group-think.

Personal example, I took a photography class in high school. It was my favorite class and the teacher was one of my favorites. It's the only class I really remember anything from. I visited the teacher once after Obama was elected the first time. We started discussing politics and I told him I voted for McCain. And immediately, without listening to anything I had to say, this man (a white man in his 60s, mind you) whom I had previously admired started calling me a racist. To my face.

The problem with these anti-hate/tolerance movements is that they assume that disagreeing with them makes you the enemy. If you're against gay marriage, it's automatically because of homophobia. If you're against abortion, it's automatically because of misogyny. If you're against illegal immigration, it's automatically because of racism.

i.pinimg.com/.../...4628d3f4deacf341fcefcc7eb7.jpg
    adam4d.com/.../2015-06-05-bigot6.png

I get it. No one wants to be on the wrong side of an issue or on the wrong side of history. But throwing out presumptive labels like this is a show of intellectual weakness and yes, intolerance. No one wants to be a homophobe or racist, so to avoid being called so, they join either the movement or stay silent.

These movements have a good intention, but we need to start paying attention to the results. The results have been anything but good. We have NOT made progress in making our modern society less hateful.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 7

• Less. Try being a straight white Christian conservative girl on campus. Non-conformist views and beliefs are not tolerated.

• i hope you don't mind a slight challenge to your notion that we live in a less tolerant world. you are a white christian conservative on a campus. were you on that same campus last year, two years ago, ten years ago?

my point is you are having a singular experience which is true to you but perhaps not true in the larger context. so i think to say we live in a less or more tolerant world requires examination at a macro level rather than the micro level

• He broke the law and he is do egotistical that he the fact that he broke the law must be someone else's fault

• @Waffles731 sounds more like a witchunt

• If you don't agree with the left or are Christian, you will get slammed for it these days. It's all about being tolerant until you don't agree with them or have different views, and that's when the shaming tactics come in. You better not be Christian cause if you are then, your're automatically homophobic, bigot, close minded, bible thumper, living in the stone age, and all this other hateful name calling/judgments. But that's exactly what God said was going to happen, they hate you cause they hated me first. Join the world and they will love you, stand with God and they will hate you.

• As a Christian, I will not be tolerant of those things that go against God word.

• I think it's always been like this people just have less discernment and impulse control. It will just change forms and as society crumbles we will be taken over and it will all start over at the beginning.

• International students on my campus personally attack me because they dress a thousand times better than me 😩 especially the Asian ones

• It's a bit of a shame to me really, Asians can be very vicious when they put someone down despite their demeanour. Don't let it intimidate you or anything, if that happens, Kick. Their. Ass.

• @Nivinxus lol they don’t hurt me, i FEEL attacked by their level of fashion. Makes me feel like a bum 😢😩

@robin48 i don’t think it’s respect for body, have you seen the extreme diets some of them go on? Americans take pride in comfort and casual looks

• Honesty, women attack each other about everything.

• hope people be more tolerant

• No, everybody is mean.

• Yes very

What Guys Said 26

• this is a question that is asked a lot and i think is fairly hard to answer
    many individuals who suffer intolerance will say that intolerance is growing despite research showing the this to be false.

i tend to think that tolerance on the whole is growing. i think intolerance exists and those who are intolerant have been emboldened by circumstances in our present world to be more brash, vehement, loud and public with their intolerance.

• Being politically correct does not equal tolerance. People should always be able to carry on respectful discussions of which they can disagree on without being labeled bigots or now fascist. Real tolerance is disagreeing with others but still being willing to stand up for the constitutional rights of others because its a matter of principle and vice versa. You know things are bad when no one can even hold a rational conversation where "safe spaces" are touted.

• Also, the UN has no authority on anything or over anyone. The UN is a violation of the sovereignty of nations.

• I think it is the same. It is very Machiavellian in regards to the ethos of 'all men are equal, but some are more equal than others...'

many embrace this seeing themselves above or below others which drives intolerance. Plus the powers that be profit by the fractures apparent in the populous. They use the media to polarise the highlight the divide as a mean to gain. The frustration here is few question or see through the obvious agendas

I only see one human race, and all equal

• We are more tolerant than we have ever been.

We are so tolerant in fact that functionally even the least of our tolerated are not shunned to the point of being completely destroyed and blacklisted.

It's questions like these and times like this I am reminded of my parent's and grandparent's tales of real segregation. Oh my grandmother used to get so angry recounting the reality of what it meant because those memories, none of which I share or have faced or experienced, were too infuriating to die. Even as she sunk into mental decline she knew those moments intimately.

I just think that people are too prone to negativity. When we talk about things like civil rights we are not talking about you liking something, or even supporting that something, we are talking about the allowance of equivalency. You don't have to like the idea of gay marriage for yourself to understand that it should be allowed.

Of course this came up in a large way when it was legalized. Churches would release official statements stating that they would not marry the couples though they would not protest against the law itself or be derisive about it. So such is the world that intolerance became a buzzword and the functional decline of thought became a problem; it seems to have worked out in the end but ultimately the notion of bilateral Americanism is too powerful.

Tolerance is not a matter of being, "For or Against" and the sooner this is discovered the sooner we can move forward.

For those who are saying the world is becoming less tolerant look at the outrage over the attempts at a travel ban. The populace is responding fervently with a loud "No!" and understanding that terrorism is not a religion (though many still state that Islam is a violent religion) but a matter of personal and political behavior.

We are progressing.

• I'm not tolerant anymore. I'm fed up with people not standing with their decisions, like if they want something, they beg you for it as if their lives depended on that and you'd be the most cruel person if you denied what they begged you for, and but if they're expected to use it, keep it or even give something back they're like "yeah well, don't know" and leave you with that.

• I feel like there’s more racism now than in the 80s and 90s, yes there were racists back then but racism is a different term and I think that’s what scares me is that as a society we are merely repeating actions or becoming worse.

• I don't think we are less tolerant as a society today. Just that what we have an intolerance for has changed. A lot of people think tolerance is to accept liberal ideologies. Which is the exact opposite of the very definition of tolerance. Tolerance is when you are against something but don't do anything to hinder what it is that you're against. You're against it, but you let it take its course.

• I mean the UN isn't an organization that carries very much weight. I will tolerate what you do so long as it doesn't affect me. Of course the catch here is that under strict scrutiny, virtually every decision we make impacts other people, and thus other people have a vested interest in the decisions we make.

• In the United States, I think we're more tolerant than we used to be. The intolerant among us have become more vocal, but in general we're more tolerant as a society.

• I don't have any tolerance towards pornstars, bikini/g-string whores, sluts and feminazi bitches who have their children aborted with big pleasure, cheat in the name of sexual freedom, dress slutty and are quick to lose virginity and get dicks. Aka Western women. They will never know love and morality. Only men can love.

• I forgot: They also swap partners while dating/married calling that sexual fredom.

• I think, amazingly, Rush Limbaugh said it accurately:

"You know what the magic word, the only thing that matters in American sexual mores today is? One thing,

"You can do anything — the left will promote and understand and tolerate anything — as long as there is one element. Do you know what it is?

"Consent.

"If there is consent on both or all three or all four, however many are involved in the sex act, it's perfectly fine. Whatever it is. But if the left ever senses and smells that there's no consent in part of the equation, then here come the rape police. But consent is the magic key to the left."

And if you doubt he said it, it's included in this video:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGsAXF3uwr8

And, what does "Only men can love." mean?

• Problem is that tolerance isn't the goal, it's a byproduct of liberal principles. When you shift the goal to tolerance, you undermine the freedom inherent in liberalism. Aspire to freedom for all and the necessary amount of tolerance will follow.

• Far far far far far less tollerant we now live in a defend your own label culture rather then a defend everyone culture.

• I find it amusing that in my experience the people that try to preach tolerance are the most intolerant people I've met.

• I've become less tolerant as I've matured. Once you get exposed to the real world you start to see that not everyone is deserving as much of your tolerance as the internet warriors would tell you.

• Tolerance is not necessarily a good thing. People's tolerance for poison allows them to live a little longer before they die. Democrats have no tolerance for anyone else's opinion. Why should I be tolerant?

• In the West more tolerant. PC has done it's trick into shaming and labeling anyone that critics or speaks hard truths as hateful, bigots or racist.

• So, PC works?

• @goaded: You can't fairly criticize women or you'll be called a sexist. Can't fairly criticize Islam you'll be called a bigot, you can't speak out against serving homosexuals at your own business do to a person's religion or you'll be called hateful.

• Why don't you try criticizing specific behaviour or ideas?

If you start with "women do X", you're being sexist because you're lumping all women into a single category. If you instead critcize a particular behaviour: "women who do X...", it's not sexist.

Same with Islam; "Muslims kill innocent babies" vs. "The Muslims who kill innocent babies...".

Atheists criticize Islam all the time, but they do it without being bigoted.

• Tolerance is to be tolerant of ideas and movements that you don't agree with.

"The ability or willingness to tolerate the existence of opinions or behavior that one dislikes or disagrees with."

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance
      "The paradox of tolerance, first described by Karl Popper in 1945, is a decision theory paradox. The paradox states that if a society is tolerant without limit, their ability to be tolerant will eventually be seized or destroyed by the intolerant. Popper came to the seemingly paradoxical conclusion that in order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance."

• All it took was for russia to get that idiot trump, elected, so that Americans would start fighting with themselves, instead of unifying. IT IS RUSSIAS FAULT

• In a sense maybe. I feel that in many cases negative biases are less (which is good) but has been replaced with complete lack of interest instead.

Met people with obvious immigrant backgrounds who've said that they don't experience a lot of stereotyping or being singled out, but on the other hand, nobody ever poses any interested question about their backgrounds anymore either. So they feel a bit like they're presumed as "everyone else" always, or that nobody really cares about any of that, positive or negative.

But overall, I guess it's more progress than not.

• Oh my God, is it ANOTHER special day? How many are there?

• More from Guys
    6