Marijuana Shouldn't be Legalized

Marijuana Shouldn't be Legalized

Let's assume laws under legalization would make pot similar to alcohol (21 age limit, no driving under the influence, etc.)

This take is an answer to take Marijuana Should be Legalized by @michellebrown48 hence construction is similar to it.

1) It's extremely addictive for some people:

Marijuana Shouldn't be Legalized

It would be malpractice to say that cannabis isn't addictive. Anybody who's experienced it, actually been addicted to it, knows how profound that addiction is... The difficult thing about marijuana addiction is some people, even though they're addicted can do fine with it for many many years before they start to have difficulty, but eventually the high starts wearing off, people start smoking a lot more to try to get that high back and that's when they descend into difficulties. ...I've been treating cannabis addiction for 20 years. When people are addicted to cannabis, cocaine, and alcohol the drug they have the most difficult time giving up is the cannabis. It is extremely addictive...for some people. I think that's where people get confused. It's not very addictive for many people. It's a small subset of people with a genetic potential for addiction. But for them, it is really tough. You only need to talk to them, they'll tell you how tough it is.
- Dr. Drew Pinsky

2) It Has No "Acceptable Medicinal Use"

Marijuana Shouldn't be Legalized

Marijuana is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) so its use is unregulated. The FDA, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, and National Institute on Drug Abuse have found no sound scientific studies supporting medical use of crude marijuana. The FDA’s guidelines for a drug’s approval require that certain factors be established: dose quantity; frequency and duration of administration; and interaction with other medicines. None of these has been determined for marijuana. Never has smoking been an accepted method of administering any medicine. There's also an article posted by Washington Post explaining 5 reasons marijuana is not medicine

3) Marijuana is terrible for your mental health:

Marijuana Shouldn't be Legalized

Marijuana may even be WORSE than cigarettes. At least cigarettes don't peel points off of your IQA ANorthwestern University study found that marijuana users have abnormal brain structure and poor memory and that chronic marijuana abuse may lead to brain changes resembling schizophrenia. The study also reported that the younger the person starts using marijuana, the worse the effects become.

4) It has Physical Consequences as Well

Marijuana Shouldn't be Legalized

Physically, Marijuana is even more harmful than cigarette smoking. The immediate effects of taking marijuana include rapid heartbeat, disorientation, lack of physical coordination, often followed by depression or sleepiness. Some users suffer panic attacks or anxiety.

But the problem does not end there. According to scientific studies, the active ingredient in cannabis, THC, remains in the body for weeks or even months.

Marijuana smoke contains 50% to 70% more cancer-causing substances than tobacco smoke. One major research study reported that a single cannabis joint could cause as much damage to the lungs as up to five regular cigarettes smoked one after another. Long-time joint smokers often suffer from bronchitis, an inflammation of the respiratory tract.

Marijuana can change the structure of sperm cells, deforming them.

Thus even small amounts of marijuana can cause temporary sterility in men. Marijuana use can also disrupt a woman’s menstrual cycle.

(Source 1, 2 and 3)

5) Amsterdam's Failed Experiment.

Let's consider ideal conditions and arguments by legalization supporters true. Then legalization of it should work, right? Amsterdam is the most famous place across the world that has effectively legalized pot. It has even turned into a tourist destination for potheads. Legalizing weed has been a huge success there, right? Actually, not so much...Its citizens are now alarmed that their children are increasingly being exposed to it. Netherland is the first country to ban marijuana in schools.

Do you still think it should be legal? share your reasons!

2132

Most Helpful Guy

• I live in an area where it's legal and I've done edibles, but I never smoke it. It helps me sleep and greatly enhances sexual experiences (orgasms last longer).

BUT I'm not proud of it. However I've always been very responsible. I only do it in the evening after my work day is done, after exercise and I'm not driving. I don't go around bragging about it or pushing it on other people.

However the homeless population in my state has doubled. We have also seen an influx of knuckleheads (litterbugs, rude people) and black tar heroin is on the rise. Whether or not pot is a gateway drug is another debate. But the state I live has become a tourist attraction for the wrong reasons.

My take on pot is that should be treated like booze. It's not good for you (except for certain medical conditions), it's nothing to be proud of and it should be used responsibly. These stupid ass 420 evangelicals or only proving why it was illegal in the first place.

You are going to have to accept that Marijuana is going to be eventually legalized nationwide in the USA (except maybe not in Utah). Not saying its a good thing, but like gay marriage, it's gotten too much support behind it.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 21

• Alcohol is more addictive, causes more deaths in proportion to how much is consumed, and is more damaging to the the brain. It impairs you much more. So why didn't you write a post about Alcohol?
    Furthermore, it's a biological fact that any depressant can help reduce the size of a tumor as they are anti-inflammatory, it wouldn't be as effective as a low sugar diet but it would help. The FDA's research dates back to before the 2000s, modern day research shows that the only negative health effect that can occur from consumption of marijuana is caused by smoking it, it leads to a increased chance of lung cancer, less than cigarettes, but still a chance.
    Also because marijuana is now sold legally in Holland, illegal vendors have no more customers. Unlike illegal vendors, legal vendors check ID for age. The issue with schools was that students in their last year of school, who were 18 brought marijuana to school so they banned it. But the levels of underage consumption by percentage are much lower that the USA, France and the UK, countries all with stricter cannabis laws than Holland.

• All of this is false information. I will keep smoking herb whether it is legal or not. I am fine with it being illegal because it is cheaper on the black market anyways. They tax it too much

If this is how you feel you are a douche

• So instead of researching and explaining why its false, you're just going to cry false and do it anyway... Yep, thats smart.

• ... im not the person who wrote the take, if thats not whats vonfusing you then i have no idra what you're on about

• She's too stoned to research lmfao.

• It should be legal everywhere. People have the right to put anything into their body.

Plus, marijuana is a billion dollar industry. Also, making marijuana illegal helps the criminals like if we made guns illegal.

• Guns should be illegal because 1. it's dangerous to even own a gun and 2. people are killing themselves with guns.

• Making guns illegal actually makes it harder for criminals.

"Yo dude, we need guns for this shit"
      "No problem, I've got fifty! And if we get caught with them its fine, cause we dont need a reason to carry fifty loaded firearms around with me!"

Gun ban
      "Yo dude, we need guns for this shit"
      "Well shit dude, i ain't fillin out all that paperwork. I can't get em anyway cause of my record. Does steve still have some?"
      "Nah he got busted"
      "Shit."

No, a gun ban would not help criminals at all. Anyone remember Australia?

• Disagree. We're constantly making excuses in order to keep alcohol legal yet being hypocritical and exaggerating the negative aspects of weed. I would think you're being reasonable unless you think alcohol and tobacco should remain legal.
    1. There is no physical addiction that can be developed from marijuana, only dependency (which can come from anything sex, fame, food), whereas there is a physical dependency in alcohol and especially tobacco.
    2. This is still up for debate, but every doctor and chemist agree it's a powerful painkiller with little of the side effects of the alternatives. Again alcohol and tobacco are actually more detrimental to your health than marijuana.
    3. Alcohol has more debilitating effects on mental health. Focus on the reasonable consumption of marijuana
    4. This is kind of bullshit. The cancer thing is real, but what about edibles? and how is it different to tobacco? At least you can't die or overdose from the active ingredient itself.
    5. "failed experiment". How? How is the netherlands the first place to ban marijuana, every school ever has an anti alcohol and drug policy.

• I think the first point detracts from the overall argument. Porn is addictive to some people as well and can lead to a multitude of negative things. Should we ban it?

And let’s just say that you only look at the rest of your points. Worse can be said for alcohol consumption... yet that is still legal.

• Marijuana is harmful. But since some people swear by their benefits, I feel like more research should be done and whatever good use it has, it should be used for only that. Basically, use it to benefit people.

• Marijuana is excellent for pain relief, particularly those with terminal cancer. Many doctors who deal with terminally ill patients, believe in its use.

• I'm not sure if terminally ill people are a great catalyst for everyone else. Terminally ill people basically have *nothing* left to lose that they haven't or won't already. Not exactly the same as a healthy young adult

• @yoshi_wanna_ask wow... ‘nothing left to lose’ 🤔.. I don’t think their family members would feel like that. But I get your point, and you make my point clearer. It should only be used for medical reasons.

• It doesn't mean they've lost everyone who cares about them just that there's not really anything else that can be done medically. There's still very little proven, tested, medical evidence that it benefits people & all of the results that have tested *any* positive results are for when it's not smoked & sometimes not even the core ingredient.

I think it makes sense for scientists to keep testing & working with the drug until they find a way it can *safely* be used with little to no side effects but in the mean time the risks & detrimental effects are just too big for it to be a good idea. However if people have nothing to lose & they use it responsibly (not smoking it) that's about the only good way to use it.

• Its not for everyone but that doesn't mean its the worst thing out here bc it isn't. I've seen components in it do more good then anything, like a cigarette is worse. I just won't see the bad thing ab it bc I have yet to really see a plausible reason why. On all the intervention shows I've seen, weed was not on any of them lol. Between cigarettes and alcohol they done more harm then marijuana ever will.

• I very much disagree with most of your points.
    Personally I don't find weed more addictive than other substances, like nicotine. I get high occassionally and I don't crave it, but I am very much dependent on cigarettes. As for it's medicinal use, I'm not sure about how it works as a pain killer, but it does provide temporary relief from symptoms of patients with PArkinson's disease. Whilst it may have some adverse effects on the brain, it can arguably also help with mental health, like depression.
    All the negative factors you mentioned apply to alcohol as well. If weed should be illegal because of this, you might as well bring prohibition back.

• Who on earth is going to smoke marijuana on school anyway. You have to be 18

• Who on earth is going to smoke ciggarettes on school anyway. You have to be 18..

• @yoshi_wanna_ask look, we've just got two different opinions on how to have fun, but I think marijuana is not the big bad that so many people see it as, and it's horrendous to group it in with more dangerous drugs.

• @lilaqua I think you're right but even if it's a 7/10 as far as being dangerous (compared to other drugs) there are still a lot of terrible recorded side effects. I think there are positive things that it could be used for but there's no way it should ever legally be available for people to use in the same form it is now.

• I don't know why marijuana is much worse than alcohol or tobacco.

• Seriously? They just stated the reasons, just up there /\

Yes there are a lot of things people take that have a range of bad side effects that vary from person to person. However Marijuana seems to have a much more addictive, long lasting & harmful effect.

• @yoshi_wanna_ask It's rather amusing that you'd think only drug abusers would defend drugs. I guess in your mind all people against fat-shaming must be fat themselves too lol adios!

• I only said that because of what I thought you said you experienced while you were at school, but I was debating with you and another person who answered this question & got some of your details mixed up. She mentioned having used for a bit while in high school. So, sorry about that. Of course not everyone who defends uses and your example is a completely unrelated issue. Anyway, take it easy.

• Die faster or Don t do it just Americans
    The rules in America are just ridiculous

• Hmmm:)
    I'll see you with a part 2 soon

• Are of these are 100% false

Fake news

• I agree with your MyTake

• I agree that it shouldn't be legalized.

• Charlotte's Web should be legalized.

• I am still confused.

• NO WAY!!!
    I have seen a few episodes of how it has ruined one of my relative's lives and another, who finally came around, thank God.
    Good for a cancer victim only.

• I agree.

• More from Girls
    1

What Guys Said 31

• if it has no medicinal purpose? how do we explain it's pain and anxiety relief in cancer patients. how it can reduce seizures in those with epilpsey from dozens a day to 1 or 2 a month.

my uncle has parkinsons and uses a canabinoid oil on his hand (no thc, no high). when he rubs this on his hand i swear he is a different person. no shakes, no stuttering of speech. it has allowed him to get back to his wood working otherwise he was stuck in a chair watching daytime television

• Yikes... All of these are just terrible.

• I smoke. It does what my medications dont do. Trying to say it doesn't have medicinal properties is pure bs. If you have trouble eatting it helps you eat. if you have trouble sleeping it helps you sleep. It helps me focus. It helps with my depression, my anxiety, bipolar disorder and my PTSD. 100 times better than the shit pills i have to take that are doing NOTHING by the way but rotting my teeth and the rest of my insides. Everything that you threw out there in your little proposal.. It doesn't apply to me. It works. Everybody just has a different reaction to it. Marijuana is a natural herb. Its not chemically altered. Unlike those pills that you prescribe to people with mental disorders. You know. those pills are rotting my teeth. they cause me to have tremors. Once my body gets used to them i get switched to something else or a higher dosage with even worse side effects. You seem like a big pharma pusher. im gonna assume marijuana is hurting your pocket book so your gonna slander a potentially good thing. I know why it was made illegal. And I HATE THAT people CONTINUE to try and USE FEAR tactics on something that HAS POTENTIAL.

• Much like cigarettes and alcohol, marijuana should never be allowed on the market. It is used by mentally weak people to escape the hardships of reality. The same goes for most types of illegal narcotics. While marijuana does not have the same chemical addictive qualities as cigarettes (you won't shake from withdrawal symptoms), it is mentally addictive. It's like saying masturbation isn't addictive... but I don't see anyone stop doing it.

• Exactly. I don't know why people argue that if alcohol and tobacco is legal then why not marijuana. It is live I've killed 2 people already hence it is OKAY to kill third one

• @davidryan

You realize the paradox you just described right?

Using marijuana tax money "to help these people recover, get educated, which will improve society, improve the person's life, which will reduce use".

So you're saying that the government should endorse the use of marijuana, then use the tax money to help people recover and stop using it?

So if a lot of people use it, the gov't gets more tax. How much do you want to bet that politicians won't use it for drug treatment? No politician will ever use a dime to treat people, because they want the money. The more people they get to stop using pot, their government coffers shrink. That is a very stupid cycle you created in your head.

• There is no paradox and this was not created in my head. Same marijuana is legal is not endorsing it just as cigarettes being legal is not endorsed by the government. They are warning ads and they pay for marketing telling people not to use it. Marijuana is bad. This is the model that’s being used by other countries… Countries that are doing way better than the United States disastrous dru there is no paradox and this was not created in my head. Same marijuana is legal is not endorsing it just as cigarettes being legal is not endorsed by the government. Warning ads and they pay from marketing telling people not to use it. Marijuana is bad. This is the model that’s being used by other countries… Countries that are doing way better than the United States disastrous and failed drug war.
      And saying the government won’t give up a dime to help users is a paranoid and unjustified viewpoint that you have made up in your own head. Again, look at other countries. This model is working.

• Ministries and departments of health across the globe still seem to be trying to find a consensus, but the direction seem to disagree with the current U. S.'s F. D. A.'s opinion.

Granted, the Israeli Ministry of Health's specialized Medicinal Cannabis Unit states states 「Medical Cannabis is not a medicine, it is not registered as a medicine, and its efficacy and safety when used for medical purposes has not yet been established.」 But, it also admits 「Nevertheless, there is evidence that cannabis could help patients suffering from certain medical conditions, and alleviate their suffering.」
    www.health.gov.il/.../default.aspx
    Israel has actually become the 「 the epicenter of medicinal marijuana」.
    www.usnews.com/.../israel-is-a-global-leader-in-marijuana-research

Even the adamant anti-drug warrior Pres. Duterte's Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (P. D. E. A.) and Department of Health (D. O. H.) supports legalization, licensing, and national medicinal R&D labs.
    http://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1011367
    http://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1010921
    www.congress.gov.ph/legisdocs/basic_17/HB00180.pdf

In the case of the U. S., the U. S. Patent and Trademark Office (U. S. P. T. O.) holds for the Department of Health and Human Services (H. H. S.) patent 6,630,507 for the use of cannabis oil against 「neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia.」.
    patft.uspto.gov/.../6630507

How will the consensus go in the next few years? Only time will tell.

• Heh Bob Barr. Here's what *medical* professionals have to say:

"Marijuana is seen as efficacious in reducing nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy" - American Nurses Association

"Contrary to what we’ve all been mis-taught [marijuana is] not a very harmful drug… it’s a drug remarkably free of toxicity providing it’s used intelligently." - Lester Grinspoon, Psychiatrist at Harvard University

"Marijuana doesn’t have a high potential for abuse, and there are very legitimate medical applications. In fact, sometimes marijuana is the only thing that works…" Dr. Sanjay Gupta, Neurosurgeon

"Jurisdictions that have legalized medical marijuana, decriminalized possession of marijuana and/or other drugs, or tolerated limited, retail sales…have not experienced significant, if any, increases in marijuana or other drug use." - American Public Health Association

Also, do you really think Federal agencies would have anything positive to say about marijuana, considering it's illegal at the Federal level? Especially with Donald Trump at the wheel? C'mon, man, that's crazy talk.

• Absolute rubbish. Let's go through it point by point.
    "1) It's extremely addictive for some people." So are many prescription pain meds. So are CPAP machines, for that matter. Many medical devises and substances are either addictive themselves, or cause addiction-like symptoms in some people. This is not prima facie reason to make them illegal.
    "2) It Has No "Acceptable Medicinal Use"" Circular reasoning. The "acceptable medicinal uses" are defined by statute to deliberately exclude them, rather than be reason argument based on scientific evidence.
    "3) Marijuana is terrible for your mental health:" Of course so is glaucoma, chronic pain, night terrors, chemo-induced nausea, and a host of other mental and physical maladies successfully treated by marijuana. It's not as black and white as you make it out to be. Further, those negative side-effects are not as pervasive as you let on.
    "4) It has Physical Consequences as Well" Sources one and two are issues about smoking, a hazardous form of ingesting ANY drug. They don;'t apply to the more common forms like vaping, eating, inhalation of oils, or skin absorption. #3 is from an obviously biased source, and may be discounted for that reason alone.

• yeah... do you know the actual reason why its illegal?

www.drugwarrant.com/.../

• The FDA, like any other governmental association, is agenda-driven.

The massive use of marijuana would affect the number of people using medical drugs for anxiety, pain relief, etc... and that is BIG business here in the United States.

The cold hard truth is... marijuana is legalized, only because the states need the tax revenue from selling it. That's all. Nothing to do with "doing right by the people" whatsoever. All about $$$.

• However I do believe the future of marijuana use is in edibles. I predict the stigma (and common sense) of inhaling smoke being bad, even if it is not tobacco... will be so strong that edibles become the norm and smoking marijuana becomes a niche market.

• What the heck I just read lol

Marijuana should be legal in every country for freedom reasons and economical reasons

• You're spewing horse shit. I myself don't take marijuana, but many people have benefited from it medically, regardless of what all these pseudo doctors say. The FDA are a criminal organization that are hell bent on destroying natural treatments that cure disease, and look at how many people have died or been made sick from pharmaceutical drugs.

• I think I haven't read enough about structure of brain after reading this as far as my mh stae board books are considering
    This take was needed
    The question on marijuana is asked again and again.

• I was making thousands of dollars a week... then they legalized it. I didn't mind selling weed because, let's face it, the people that smoke that are not the same as coke snorters, meth fiends, or even alcoholics.

I could sell shrooms now, (I grow and microdose), but it's something I think would have to grave of an effect if abused. All it takes is one bad incident, your shit gets blamed as the cause of it, and then they're trying to track you down.

So make weed illegal again... so I can get richer and richer. I'm a lumpin proletariat.

• I'm liberal and I'm divided on this. Sure, stoners have a right to smoke. But also, weed can do heart damage.

• Alcohol KILLS !! Directly and indirectly ( accidents , violence for some examples ) Alcohol is addictive... lethally so and is responsible for the deaths of 3 people.. including my late best friend... Mary Jane is NOT addictive , neither is it a " gateway drug " ... those in Point 3 nearly always have a pre -existing underlying mental condition.

Ganja does not directly kill & rarely indirectly kills , however a person under the influence of ANY intoxicant should NEVER drive / or operate any hazardous objects , from machinery to simple blades. It was only ever illegal as it eroded Big Pharma & the breweries big profits... they in turn used financial clout to influence ( bribe !! ) the lawmakers... if it's good enough for Queen Victoria back in her day... then it's good enough for the rest of us !!

• yes quite right, i can think of some more, it makes the user violent and anti social.

• I don't smoke it , but you need to stop with the demonization of cannabis. It does have medical value the national cancer institute admitted that cannabis kills cancer cells. The real reason why they don't want to make it legal is because it would threaten a lot of industries who make A LOT OF money from it being illegal like law enforcement, the courts, prisons Big pharma they don't want it legal either because it poses a threat to their drugs that they sell that leaves a lot of Americans addicted like OxyContin and others. Alcohol and cigarette companies don't want it legal too, they fund anti drug organizations to help keep it legal because they know people would switch to cannabis overnight if it was legal everywhere and that would pose a threat to their drug profits because alcohol and tobacco are drugs you know.

• Netherlands is the first country to ban it in schools? I believe it is banned EVERYWHERE in schools.

• My bad lol. Specifically banned in schools where it is legal in Amsterdam. It shows teen addiction

• I don't think that is a good indicator; alcohol is also banned in schools but is legal except in a handful of countries.

• Exactly. That's why it is included in anti legalization topic

• It causes apoptosis in cancer cells.

• More from Guys
    11