What is up With This Generation? We Claim to Not be Racist Yet Just One Thing Triggers a Riot...

For those of you who don't know, just a couple weeks ago or so H+M posted a European advert where a black child was wearing an orange hoodie that stated "coolest monkey in the jungle." Now because of this people have apparently gotten so overly emotionally affected. And when I say emotionally affected I'm referring to the level of offence they took from a simple sweater and a kid, wait , no, a "black kid."

So H+M since has removed the advert and apologised for it. But here's my question, had a white child been wearing the "coolest monkey in the jungle" sweater would so many people have been so emotionally affected by it? It's the 21st century, the world was meant to move away from racial slurs when Nelson Mandela was released from prison, when Martin Luther King junior began his uprise, and all these great iconic role models said they wanted equality and independent countries. MJK once said...

“I have a dream that one day little black boys and girls will be holding hands with little white boys and girls.”

― Martin Luther King Jr., I Have A Dream

Now you tell me is it fair to the generation who doesn't see colour to be forced into this type of situation? Let's be honest, currently young people honestly don't give that big of a fuck about race. Our generation has more interracial marriages than any other generation before us so far. So again I'll state, we really dont give a fuck!

When I was kid I remember my father or my mother chasing after me calling me a cheeky monkey and I'd giggle and laugh cause being a monkey was the coolest thing. You could jump around and you were very energetic, and as we grew up my siblings and I would call each other monkeys when they got annoying. Now is being called a monkey strictly for every other race than black now?

Are black parents no longer allowed to play the monkey game with their kids because wouldn't it now count as racisim amongst your own?

Now could y'all do as this childs mother said and kindly get over it?

P.S. Today alone, three H+M stores were raided in south africa as a way to show their dislike of this sweater and ironically these raiders took clothes from the stores.

1638

Most Helpful Guy

• it's far different to have children be called terms of endearment by parents and have racially charged epithets used... you have to be able to understand that and see the difference between parents using the term of endearment and a non-parent dressing a model in a certain piece of clothing

racism does exist today regardless of the changing tides. we can't simply ignore the potentially racist actions that occur because we want to believe we live in a post-racial society

and being clear i don't know that the photographers intentions were racist but we can't simply deny that racism exists and the poor taste of this ad because you, i or others aren't racist

Most Helpful Girl

• Unfortunately, there is a history there, and that makes it a sensitive topic for society. I don't condone the raiding of stores or any kind of behavior like that, but I do think that people- businesses and individuals- have a responsibility to try not to hit on these kinds of sore points. When racism is no longer an issue, then maybe we will be able to totally let it go. Until that time, it's incredibly naive and unrealistic to think that people should be able to slip up this way without offending and upsetting people.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 37

• H & M in south africa would have been looted anyway. they simply needed a good enough reason for no one to want to make them accountable aka using the shield of "you're a racist, I've been racially abused" to get away with anything.

Travel the world and see how societies work, where poverty and drug abuse/trafficking are more predominant, which are the "unsafe" neighbourhoods. They all have one thing in common. No it's not skin you little racism triggered fella: it's lack of education (institutional and family education) from which poverty and inability to live a normal life derives.

It's not that I'm born superior, it is that my mom wooped my ass and taught me to say good day every single time I met someone, though I said the same thing 5 minutes ago to the same person. To respect everything that others had because logically it is not mine and I don't own it. To work hard if I want it for myself and get me one.

Unfortunately calling racism is the way for some of these people to retaliate to their inability to simply be part of the society they are in. Some simply want to believe their failures are because of others. Some simply look to blame others instead of looking themselves in the mirror and say "I fucked it up! But no, I can change it, I know I can do a lot better".
    Blame on others and expect others to solve it for them, but they become aggressive when solution they provide is: going to school (if talking about a child) and getting you a job (if talking about an unemployed adult). They gladly accept foundations giving away money and clothing, foundations that will advertise themselves as helpers, but will not ask for anything in return; instead they will let those people continue to live in that exact same situation as they were yesterday. Which makes tomorrow just as sad and bleak.

How about foundations and these SJW, realize there might be a situation spread like a disease in parts of society and that education should be FORCED and rewarded instead of giving away money and clothing and finding excuses behind racism. How about go there and figure out a plan to make the children actually learn and get good grades if going to school anyway.
    Foundations are around for a long time and I'm sure they tried, but failed and what better way to cover your uselessness than to hop on and cry "racism" instead. So their aim at this point is not to change those groups, but to change the rest of the society by screaming racism for every little thing.

• just as an example from the country I live in. There are gypsy communities. Some did manage to integrate and act as normal people. But most do nothing and get social assistance (in form of money and food packs) funded by state budget. They simply sit around and do nothing. At one point a mayor in one of such areas decided to change something, so he started forcing the adults to help keep community clean by swiping the dried leafs from the ground, emptying the garbage cans and taking them to the recycling plant, so on. Children were supposed to go to school.

The news crew was filming them and they were all very pissed they had to work and do something to earn what they were getting.
      Result: they became one great socie... NO. Next time elections happened the gypsies turned the balance to a different mayor that promised to give more money.

• And one more example of such a group.
      An italian decided it would be good business to make a furniture factory in a gypsy area. His reasoning? "These guys are discriminated and cannot get jobs, so when I'll come here and start this plant, all of them will flock to want to have a decent life".
      By the way he was offering more than the minimum wage.
      Goes around with the mayor asking people if they will join. All said yes :))
      Builds the factory with 800 K euros. Opens and... nobody working in it. All the people he asked if they want to work, came up with an excuse.
      Italian lost 800K for he thought these people are discriminated and wanted to have a win win situation. But little did he know those people were already winning.

• so is this the actual way of solving things? giving them money and food to sit around? is this how discrimination and racism is solved?
      well the only thing they learn is to scream racism and discrimination and they know they will get something out of it. and they are rewarded for that.
      And government is closing their eyes to that and play along because, just as the mayor in that first example, they find out these people can mean the difference between winning or losing elections. so nobody is really looking to solve their situation. instead they force the rest of the obeying well intended hard working population living in the society to think they are racist. it's easier this way.
      And it works. And I'm sure it's the same everywhere. we cannot change these guys, so let's change the rest and force them into believing this and that.
      and it will only create an even bigger gap inside society

• Not being racist doesn't mean you're not aware of racist memes. How often were the Obamas depicted as monkeys? Putting out this advert makes it easier for the people who did it to say they're not racist, just having a bit of fun. The advert isn't racist, but it muddies the waters.

• Ironic, protesters cry racism then go and do the VERY thing that causes stereotypes to exist in the first place.

• I agree with your take on this. People today just live for the next excuse to be butthurt over something. . . anything. But I do take issue with your statement that the current generation doesn't "see colour." I think today's generation (very much contra to Dr. King) see color/race/sexual orientation/etc., in almost every issue. Everything has become political and part of some supposedly noble struggle. I agree with the child's mother.

• "had a white child been wearing the "coolest monkey in the jungle" sweater would so many people have been so emotionally affected by it"

THANK YOU!! I was thinking the exact same thing when I heard about this shit! And I don't think anyone would bat an eye. No one ever called the kid a monkey and yet people are acting like H&M did exactly that. It's a damn shirt. He's black. If that shirt was hanging on a store rack, would people get offended if a black person bought it? Would a black person not be allowed to buy the shirt because of the racial implications that it might cause for some people? Because that would be racist. I can see it now "Headline: black people not allowed to buy shirt that says 'monkey' on it while white people are allowed to. In other news, segregation is making a low-key comeback!"

Shameful. We're too damn sensitive.

• Most of us don't care, but the loud whiny crybabies that would make a big deal out of this are doing just that... I mean they're warriors, social justice warriors, and they're going to whine, stomp, and cry the loudest.

I think most of us agree that this is overlookable and I'm pretty damn sure H&M did just that. Whomever was supposed to screen for nipple slips and excessive dick bulges in the underwear section simply didn't look at this kid and make the connections... the racist ones and the outrage that goes with it... they overlooked it or probably even thought it was cute (kinda like my Japanese girlfriend when she had a pot leaf shirt on and thought it was a maple leaf [she hated drugs]).

Gift idea for my black friends for sure. At least they'll think it's funny.

• You can't win with these idiots. If there was no black kid at all they would again scream racism.

Same thing happened with the dove advert and so many more.

Dove and the Non-Existent ‘Racist’ Advert ↗

• Racism

Where do I begin?

Firstly, it is rampant. And worse it is somewhat more subtle nowadays away from the blatant past. Which makes many think it is not as valid as it was in the past. Take Australia for example. A very Racist past as shown by the 'White Australia' policy of yesteryear. I was there for last 6 years and it is always made out to be so welcoming. It is to a large degree. This said it does not conceal the rise of the Right to show the Racist undertones always apparent in the populous. As shown by extremist nutjob groups like the 'True Blue crew'. Who use vicarious reasoning for their antics but the bottom line is the are bellend Racists

Secondly, Racism is bandied around to readily. Too few understand the gravity of the term. For example on a football site (soccer) if you civilly disagree with a view of another who is for argument sake, an Indian. instantly, you are labelled a 'Racist'

To I, it underlines the ignorance many have with the term and its use. I find this hugely offensive, and if they did it in real life, I would have no hesitation in dropping them on their ass. even if it saw me in jail

• I honestly think that some people just don't have anything better to do than to look for ways to be offended.

• It is just another example of liberals being racist and making up BS. They know it is just a kids sweater and isn't intended as racist at all.
    Liberals are too prejudice and they constantly see things that way.

• I'm black and i'd wear it lmaoo.

• No, if a white child had worn the same shirt we wouldn't even know about it. But being called a monkey doesn't have the same negative historical context for whites as it does for blacks. And that's the bottom line. I'm all for MLK's dream, but let's be 100% real. There are still plenty of people, millennials included, who go around thinking that blacks look like apes. And use that thinking and imagery to look at us like we're subhuman. That's why people didn't like it.

• I like monkeys. I like monkey style martial arts, but I can't practice it because I'm black because of racism. It's bullshit!!
    Some asshole ruined monkeys for me. They can go to hell!!!

• I just wallow in the irony that in order to find this racist and offensive you first have to associate a black child with a monkey.

• But who came up with the term P***h monkey though in the first place? Over time it stuck with people who are the minority.

• I agree with you 100%. People are so bored with life, that they have to make up bullshit and act all offended.

• I don't see a problem with it. It's a fun little hoodie. Racism will never be die but we can minimize it. The problems is people are too sensitive these days. They will try to find something to be offended about.

• *shrugs* it is what it is.

• Black people were referred to as monkeys in the past not whites.

So of course a white boy wearing it is no big deal, but it hurts black people to see a black wear something like that.

Big difference.

• So in other words we can never move on from racism, we'll keep making the word 'monkey' a racially charged term so that black people instantly feel offended whenever they hear it rather than attempt to make the word meaningless and harmless. Hmm..

• I think it's people looking to see what they can be offended at. They're the ones who made the connection between "monkeys" and African people. Anyone else would see the picture and think they might by it for their kid.

Simples...

• See the people who put out this advertisement didn't even think twice about it being racist, because they aren't racist, until someone points it out, and a bit of racism kicks in to even realize

• More from Guys
    17

What Girls Said 15

• I agree people get offended over a sweater but don't get offended when people in Israel are killed, when people in Burma and Kashmir are killed now that is the true definition of racism, my sister.
    In Burma, it is feared that girls may be sexually exploited and in Kashmir there are many rumours about women being raped. Did the UN do anything to stop? No. But bless those country leaders who voted against Donald Trump and he began talking about donations, no donations is more expensive than a human being's life. In Burma, a baby was thrown in the fire because he was a Muslim- that is racism.

• I don't think it was on purpose, really. Just a coincidence. Coolest monkey in the jungle is a cute idiom to talk about your kids, so maybe when selecting models, they just randomly picked models for shirts.

• My sister in law used to call my nephew "my little monkey" and no one ever seemed to care.

• This happend in South Africa and they had apartheid until 1994 and are still being called like that in their own country so I don’t think it’s up to you to say how people should react. My black friends even here in the Netherlands get insulted like that. And let’s not forgot the footballer from Italy that gets thrown bananas to his head and monkey notices by white people.
    You should get your head out the gutter and actually look around you instead of pushing away other peoples their feelings!

• Sad but true, as a South African, last year (2017) there was another racist Facebook post about black people being referred to as monkeys

• No interest and looks like you've already taken their spot. Typical, you get asked to back up your claims, however you lack the mental capacity to do so and would rather talk shit like a 12 year old. Simple mind, that's all I can say. Goodbye.

• @Kkaos you never asked me to back up my “claims” you can just google it yourself. Lazy kkk

• All honesty as a south African who was at the stores while they were being raided (another store locked us inside), I can see how it would be vied as racial and maybe they should have an actual imagery of a monkey and some colours to make it more children apparel but besides that it's been taken so out of context. But to move forward we do need to stop reflecting on things and I'm not saying forget just stop continuously looking back in it and stirring shit up but side note the people that rioted are part from a political party named the eff and they are known to insight violence

• I was at menlyn, I was one floor above when the riot began. Dude we started freaking out.

• I was at East Rand and when they fired the rubber bullets we didn't know who it was and everyone was just like gun and running

• the real racists are the ones quickly likening a black child to a monkey... and then destroying a fine company's reputation. then we have the celebrities who are too liberal for their own good and pretend to be these incredibly political beings pulling out of their HandM deals to please the public and look noble. in reality, it's pathetic. HandM is not racist. the mother of the child herself was shocked and confused by the outrage. this generation is fucked.

• Black people have been called chimps, apes, MONKEYS, gorillas, and every other primates tittle in order to insult us racially by other races (mostly white people) for quite a few centuries now including this one. If you haven't been called any of those terms, then lucky you, but most of us have which is why there's such a big up roars about this being a micro-aggression. You ask would there be this big of an uproar if a white kid wore it, but white people aren't called apes, chimps, MONKEYS, gorillas, and everything else under the sun to insult them racially. Love how you quote MLK, but forget even after his speech he was shot dead in his hotel because racism didn't magically disappear into nothingness. It's still around, and so are both the victims and aggressors of that era and their descendants who they've raised.

• What am I denying? You keep going on about your links but you're not actually making a valid argument that is relevant to me.

• And I'm welcome to any evidence if it's applicable to me, however I'm sure deep down we both agree with the same things.

• Quite frankly my friends and I jokingly call each other monkeys in jest and not either one of us sees this as a racial slur meant to demean or degrade each other in any way, it's sad that such little things trigger the racism card in this day and age

• i hate it when white guys are hitting on me and immediatley say "you know, i don't see colour." lol. but people don't seem to get it. i'm black and i wasn't surprised with the ad; i've sat down with some white friends of mine and realised that some just carry a lot of unspoken mentality towards us. I experience racism everyday. trust me, if there was a protest for everything I went through there'd be no rest. i've had a manager scream at me coz she was angry that i wasn't broke and she assumed i was just broke. lol she does my payslip and thinks i'm broke. anyway we are used to it; only less sensitive incidents are released by the media. Racism hasn't died; it's just more polite.

• it's just a hoodie!

• I didn't really find this sweater to be racist. Parents nowadays call their children "monkeys" all the time, whether they be white or black. It's a term of endearment to mean that the kid is energetic and a bit goofy too. I understand why the black community would take this sweater the wrong way, but I think they also jumped to conclusions.

• I get you're point but your title showed your bias... if people are offended by something they have a right to protest. No one speaks on these senseless protests and riots caused by Sports fans (which happens more than political protest)... no one really complained about "no taxation without representation" but as soon as black people want to protest it is a problem and it is "unamerican" lmaooo

• This is sad.

• Gotta report from my research going back to the 1920's
    EVERYONE is partly racist
    be they gang together as
    Whites
    Blacks
    Jews
    Catholics
    Mex/Spanish
    RICH
    POOR
    whatever
    some MORE exclusive than others
    the plays, evidence and daily observations tell this story

• I don’t believe in looting, but only a fool would say we are very far removed from calling black people subhuman names like ape and monkey.

Only a nitwit wouldn’t have caught that in a catalog proofreading session, so it makes me wonder about the company.

• Because of the way liberals misuse the word racist it now means that you disagreed with s liberal.