Love At First Sight DOES NOT Exist.

I think love at first sight is impossible, i sometimes see questions on here about love at first sight and see quite a few people who seem to believe in it, here are a few reasons i don't see how it is possible.

Love At First Sight DOES NOT Exist.

Love At First Sight DOES NOT Exist.

- Love isn't all about looks.

Love At First Sight DOES NOT Exist.

Love at first sight is genuinely all about looks, sure you can see someone and have mutual attraction with them, get to know them and then become something more, but you can't love someone just by looking at them, that is just attraction.. love is much deeper than finding someone attractive.

-You know nothing about them.

Love At First Sight DOES NOT Exist.

Love is something which grows over time, you can't love someone you know nothing about, it can take years to truly know a person let alone seeing someone in a room and "falling in love" what you're feeling is more likely "lust at first sight"

-It sounds like something out of a Movie/Not realistic.

Love At First Sight DOES NOT Exist.

I'm a hopeless romantic myself and i'd really like to find what i'd consider true love, but i know love at first sight in reality is ridiculous, even though one of my favourite movies is Titanic.. in reality, they didn't actually love each other because they knew each other 3 days, they were deeply infatuated which could of turned into love eventually, but they didn't really know each other, i think a difference between love and infatuation is love lasts and infatuation often does not, even though both emotions can feel just as strong.

-Everyone who told me they found love at first sight, is no longer together.

Love At First Sight DOES NOT Exist.

This one is personal to me and me only! yes i'm sure you know people who said they found love at first sight, and they're still together, i personally have not, every single person i know who told me they felt "love at first sight" broke up, and it just even more proves to me that it was just infatuation and there feelings for one another did not last.

-Its a shallow concept.

Love At First Sight DOES NOT Exist.

It's almost saying love is about someones outer appearance rather than who they actually are, how can someone say just by looking at someone made them fall in love? love is about loving someone for everything they're not because they're beautiful or attractive its because you love them for all there faults and funny little quirks, if you think you love someone because you think they look really good, that is not love.

Do you think love at first sight exists, why do you, or not?

Thanks for browsing :)

Love At First Sight DOES NOT Exist.

3181
PrincessPie is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh but on the contrary madame
    Actually I've had love at first sight
    Its actually everything you said but the opposite.

It is about looks
    But within the first 30 mins you develop this equilibrium and connection so fast. Its an organic connection and energy that immediately feels as if you've known tbem for years and both wonder where the hell you've been for the last 10 years
    And it just continues to sky rocket at the speed of light until you are in love. Nothing will stop it. We even had distance between us like 6-8 hours for months lol didnmt stop it. It even happened again lol recently. Maybe im just a hopeless romantic though ya

--> thats pretty much love at first sight
    --> an important note: love doesn't mean it will last. Lasting together forever takes more than love. I still love the girl im not with even though im not with her

• I think your description is very accurate, I touched on the concept of intuition. I totally agree.

Most Helpful Girl

• Nah. Many people fell in love at first sight and lived happily ever after. Real life is more bizarre than fiction.

Most people underestimate love at first sight because a) they never witnessed it and b) they think people fall in love by looking at the face so it's shallow.

It's not. People fall in love at first sight with unattractive people as well. This is not about looks it's rather about the person's aura/vibes/energy/whatever that heavily attracts you towards that person and you feel like you two are a perfect match. Some say that they fell in love by looking into their eyes. This can happen because eyes actually tell us a lot about the person.

About a decade ago the news of a real couple went so famous in media. It was about a man who fell in love at first sight with a blind woman. He did not even know that she was blind until he contacted her family to send a marriage proposal for her. Even after he got to know that she is blind, he still wanted to marry her. They got married.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 80

• Indeed, love at first sight is implausible. It's basically saying you fell in love with each other for their looks. I've heard people say, "from the first time I looked into her eyes, I was in love" or "The first time I smiled at me, I knew we be together for ever".

It's never, "the first time we spoke and I heard her/his thoughts on quantum mechanics and string theory, I was in love". Because that would involve actually getting to know the person's mind and critique your interest in each other before allowing yourself to become enthralled by each other's physical looks.

Not to mention I think the divorce rate in America is a good indication that love at first sight, is infatuation at first sight. By the time the two people finally realize the type of person their in a relationship with, they've been married for some time.

At any rate, I do hope to find love myself soon, but her physical looks are merely what will indicate that she takes care of herself and exercises. I want to know her personality, interests, and intellect.

• Weither love at first sight is or isn't your reality is totally fine. But i wouldn't go as far to say that it doesn't exist. Though it might not happen in your very existence doesn't mean its nit happening.
    I could say a person cannot tell if they want to sleep with said person upon first impression.
    Well one night stand is word. So obviously that debunks my argument. But in my reality i can't see that, i dont, nor do i like the idea.
    At 1st sight you can build this flawless image of said person and trick your mind into thinking he/she is the shit. When you mind and emotions are in play you start have feelings and build attraction.
    But thing is you have push yourself. Looks plays a factor. Much like speed dating you dont have enough to go off of besides looks and how they act.
    Example. Guy sees girl walking pass him. In a seconds he thought about how good she look, how successful she is, her body, how can you talk to her and more things. He is now drawn to her and already feel he knew her for years.
    Girls its different but simple. Meh, just sayin.

• I agree.. Love at first sight is a silly notion really.. Now somebody said somethin about havin an instant connection with somebody, and I agree that that can happen.. But even that ain't love.. It means y'all just have a special connection that can easily lead to love..

• The corrected term is Lust at First sight. I've only been in love once and that was after being around her for a long time.

3.bp.blogspot.com/.../Love_is_Lust_by_jeffrey.png

• Quite frankly in a certain regard you're correct and in another you're incorrect. Allow me to explain...

Love at first sight does not exist. BUT two people can FALL IN LOVE at first sight. Being "in love" is a mental state bordering and sometimes overlapping on infatuation. It turns off the reasoning centers of your brain and prevents you from thinking logically about a person. Puppy love is I think something similar. Point being two people can have an interest and attraction to each other that borders on infatuation from the moment they first meet. Whether or not that's love is another matter partly dependent on what you define as love. If love is defined as a certain behavior and action then it's hypothetically possible to display that along with being in love from your first meeting of a person, if it turns out they compliment you well just as a person the relationship could go well and you could live a happy loving life together. I think that's the sort of thing "love at first sight" comes from.

• Love cannot happen at first sight.
    It is lust or attraction.
    Cuz love requires patience and commitment and compromise.

If you are not ready to compromise and accept the weakness of the other person then you will never be in love.

Also love is a journey and not a destination.

• Agreed... it is a false notion. There are many people that believe no genuine love can exist between woman and man , many men believe a woman is incapable of loving a man at all.

• thats sad, i think men are amazing.

• Thank you for your appreciation !! Sadly , this mindset is growing among men of all age groups , but you will likely agree , feminist & other misandrist propaganda has poisoned the minds of girls / women , hence so many treat males like dirt... or even less !!

• i agree with all your points, love at first sight is a completely shallow concept based on physical attraction only and it probably won´t work well in long term, altought someimes it really does.

• Love isn't at first sight, lust is at first sight.

I don't know if I love a girl when I first see her. But I do know if I wanna go inside her. Love is something that only happens when you love what is really inside of them. Not sex, bad pun. I mean who their character is.

• I understand & accept this is your personal opinion, but just because it was love at first sight does not necessarily mean it will be something lasting. Some people will experience love at first sight at a very intimate & deeper level than most people only because it was meant to only last for a short time to make that person believe that love exists & that they are deserving of such a love. Certain things happen in a way for a reason to which we may not know or could fully understand as to why it even happened in the first place whether in the moment or months after. I think that certain people have all sorts of experiences for how they come across the feeling of love with whomever they see & want or are with. I firmly believe we go through all kinds of relationships/dates/FWB until we can find such a person who makes all the pain & happiness complete worth it irregardless if it lasts. Of course we all wish things can last, that's where we have to put in the work to keep it going until death or the bitter end when for some they cannot go on because what they once had is diminished.
    I used to be such a person who would never say that love at first sight exists, until it did happen & then I put in the work. It was some of the best moments of my life & if I was not a risk-taker I would've completely missed the whole experience. Just my thoughts on the matter.

• I'd agree with your points, but I'd also add that a lot of people think they are experiencing love at first sight when they encounter someone who reminds them of a person they did love or fits the profile of their idealized love.

• It's a very shallow concept, and I can't see how it can have any basis whatsoever in reality.

I think it's romance, for the most part, people saying when they're in the honeymoon phase, that it was love at first sight.

But as you correctly say, how can you know them, if you've only just seen them? Plenty of attractive people have a rotten core...

• The first girl I met at school is beautiful, and she also shares my love for music, sailing and reading. She is intelligent - I can converse with her in Latin - and did I mention that she is literally the most beautiful thing I've ever seen?

I've been in love with her since Year 0, but I haven't worked up the courage to ask her out yet. I'm on good terms with her parents, her brother's in the year below me at school, so I give my handmedown uniforms to him, since I have no brothers, and we are great friends.

I could go on and on about how great and amazing she is. I've never looked at another girl, except one, but she was nothing compared to her.

Unfortunately, she's way out of my league. I'm trying to attain a standard that she will appreciate - we share a love for music and the theatre, so I'm writing a musical. I'm planning out a fantasy novel, and I've already written a few piano solo pieces. Boring stuff, but yeah. I'm hoping to finish the musical before her birthday in October.

Love at first sight does exist.

• Hehe, well I sometimes wish, that our lifes had a bit more cartoon/fairytale wonder to it, but unfortunately I am either too much of a bitter old cynical (not my own flattering remark, haha) or maybe just too solid grounded on the planet and with a terrible imagination ! :-)

Thanks for sharing ;-)
    And congratulations on making the editorial staff :-) certainly well deserved :-)

• 1|0
  • About some time somebody admit this and said it! :-D I give you a big round of applause for this take!!

@Unit1 Agreed?

• I do agree. I doubt true love even exists nowadays.

• Attraction at first site for sure. We approach people that we are attracted and comfortable with. Love comes as a result of many things that come together after a while. We can be e attracted to someone @ first site, which can develop into love, but it won't necessarily resolve into love later. Not all highschool sweet hearts last. Lust and love are different and come with responsibility.

• I think the phrase shouldn't be taken literally. True love at first sight only happens between a child that just born and its parents.

In the case of romantic relationships it's different however taking it to literal in that context its a mistake. More than love it's attraction, and not physical, I think its a special kind that's related to specific behaviors and a specific personality we find very appealing.

• lust at first sight exists and a feeling you like being with someone talking like the way you feel round them for one reson or many etc
    Its up to your interpratation if thats love though.
    what is love?

• you take an analytical approach whereas love is very different. it is a bit like magic. it can happen in a blink and leave you wide-eyed and instantly under its spell. on hello, i was in love with my ex

• More from Guys
    60

What Girls Said 30

• I agree with you... I do not think love at first sight exists.

I guess it comes down to how people know they are in love. To me, love takes time, it takes knowing someone (inside and out) and knowing I will take all of them - the good and the bad. To me, that takes years.

I do not trust people's judgment if they fall too soon and/or too quickly. I do not find falling soon to be a good thing. I think it shows a lack of good judgement, if I am honest about it.

• I thought think its love at first "sight" like most people here. I genuinely believe it's something physiological that attracts us to one another. For example, have you ever seen a ridiculously sexy woman, but don't wanna date her? Have you ever seen a cute girl or a decent looking one and can't get her out of your mind? There is something working deeper than just physical attraction working in my opinion.

• I get that logic actually I agree, but I don't think that feeling is love, but I agree that feeling isn't always only about looks.

• Yea I get what you are saying. I guess it's the closest description to say "love at first sight"

• I think it's more attraction/lust at first sight than actual love. But i do believe we can feel deeply attracted to someone we just met, and feel some kind of bond or connection with them (whether they feel it too it's a different story! Although i'd like to believe they do)

• "But i do believe we can feel deeply attracted to someone we just met, and feel some kind of bond or connection with them"
      absolutely i've felt this, but i know it isn't love as i don't really know them.

• And sometimes it's better when you don't. Once you know something about them that you don't like too much, it's like all that energy suddenly dies and it leaves you feeling empty for a bit.

• Yes, i've felt that too lol.

• Until you experience it 1st hand - you will never believe it. It is possible and it is more than just about looks. You feel an instant connection with that person to where they feel like you've known them your entire life and you can talk to them about anything (which normally you can and do). Good luck to experiencing it yourself. When this happens, it's at the least moment you'd ever expect it to happen.

• I've felt this. At the least expected moment. We both did. But
      distance :(

• Well, that's a connection not "love" at first sight per say.. But I do agree that this can happen.. Love always requires growth...

• I know exactly one couple who had a love at first sight meeting where it worked out. They stayed together until she died of lung cancer a few years ago.

So out of all the “it was love at first sight!!!” meet cutes in the world, that’s the only one that I know of where it worked.

• Here's my closest interpretation to "love at first sight" that I apply to myself:
    I met my current boyfriend in high school and immediately got a big crush on him. I felt like I had to have him or some kind of "destined to be together" feeling. Unfortunately, I already had a boyfriend that time. Years later, I met my crush again (this time, in college) and he later became my boyfriend. Now, 20+ years later since our 1st date, we're still very much in love with each other! We're now engaged to be married back in our homeland (USA) next year. I somehow feel I was meant to fall in love with him that 1st moment I saw him. <3

• I agree. I am head over heels innfatuated, lusting and sweet on the guy I am dating. Our 1st date was the beat date... ever. I have decided one day i want to marry this guy!! But it's only been 2.5 months. And i recognize, if I'm honest with me, thats not love. Love is built over time, with trust, and support during the crappy times. The fresh new date is fun and anyone can be a good mate on one of those. It's how he acts when you have a bad bout of diarrhea and you haven't cleaned the dishes in a week or wjen you run out of gas an hour away and call him for a ride. His reaction to those fun situations is a testament to his love. So i agree. It might be lust or even extremely like at first sight, but unlikely true love

• Well duh.. I don't know anybody who really thinks they can fall in love with someone from just looking at them. You migt think it's love when it's really just attraction.

• I totally agree!! You can't fall in love with a person's appearance, love is based on an emotional connection you share with another person, and their mind and soul. It has ALMOST nothing to do with their looks. Appearance CAN affect sexual attraction, but so can a powerful mental/emotional connection (or lack thereof).

• Yes it exist. But it is not allowed and not accepted and you get rejected. But it does exist even it makes many people extremely jealous.

• Love at first sight does not exist. It is just myth. I agree with you.
    Love grows by time. You get to know them you like them as they are. You like them more despite their crazy habits. Now that is love:)

• Love at first sight exist. And it is from God.
    People who are anti the law of God are satanists they like to control people what and what not to do. :)

• I disagree. I believe that love at first sight does it. I've felt it three times, and I'm still with the third person.

• Well said. Love isn't something that just pops out of nowhers, it grows slowly and need constant nurturing from both sides to thrive.

Good Take.

• With the right person love at first sight actually does exist because your with the one you love the most

• Love at first sight is 100% possible though it's not nearly as common as people say it is.

• I agree with this very much.
    Love at first sight doesn't exist.

• I don't think it does, I feel it happens once you get to know someone and you get over the initial lusting (well for me when I fall in love the lusting goes up a little bit 😋) because you know them and you love them for everything. My husband said he felt it when he first saw me, and that he'd had a vision of me before we met and it sounds so sweet and I love it, I just feel bad it wasn't the same at first sight for me. I think you can fall in love very quickly, that's happened to me where I was going to stop even talking to this guy but a few months later I realized I was hopelessly in love with him. Back to the first sight, there's people that catch your eye that your body instinctively is attracted to but I have never fallen in love just by looking at someone

• This is true, especially if you are drunk ;)

• Nice take

• More from Girls
    10