Gender Stereotypes We Need To Get Rid Of

1. Pink is only a woman's colour

Both my guy friends love to wear the colour pink and I personally think some guys really rock the colour.

2. All guys like sport

I haven't personally met a guy who doesn't like sport but I know people are different and no two guys would be the same and there are guys out there who don't like sport.

3. Men are messy

In every movie I swear guys are messy or their room is messy. Well not true. I'm really messy like if you saw my room right now you'd probably have a heart attack (my mum sure is gonna have one). Both my best guy friends have cleaner lockers and rooms than me.

4. Men earn for the family

I totally hate this. I would love to be the one who earns for the family honestly.

5. Only women and girls gossip

Well that's not true. Because let's be honest most people love some good gossip.

6. Only men should propose. Itโ€™s sad when the girl has to propose

I totally prefer the traditional way but I respect women who want to propose.

7. Women don't play video games

8. Men don't cry

Crying is a human expression and if a man wants to cry he should and it shouldn't be a problem

9. Women love dresses and makeup

<3 I hope that you liked this MyTake. Obviously not everyone is like this but some (my parents) are like this. I wish most gender stereotypes could stop and everyone can stop caring about what others do and people can do their own thing in peace :) Please share, like and send positive opinions on this my take.... That would mean a lot to me. Also thank you all for the support and if you haven't seen the previous MyTake you might want to check it out <3

Love you <3

#2018

#stereotypes

3270
txdiie_ is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• I expected some feminist bullshit but this is actually good and I agree with almost all. The only two I would point out is men earning, while its not a rule, it is far more natural, men have always gone out to hunt and bring food while women were taking care of the children. Nowadays we dont hunt that much, but men still have better endurance and willpower when it comes to hard stuff. While when it comes to raising babies, we flat out suck. Natural gender roles are natural. And second point I disagree with is video games. Video games are for kids, and if an adult plays them its a huge sign of immaturity. Plus, the vast majority of gamers are losers. Successful people enjoy real world experiences

Most Helpful Girl

• Iโ€™m a woman and Iโ€™m very messy. And I donโ€™t like the colour pink :/

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 69

• In your speech, you should distinguish between your desires and other people's needs. Obviously, you would like to abolish all of these stereotypes, but I do not feel a need to do so. Telling me that I need to do that overstates your case and undermines your credibility.

• I wouldn't say so. Women have the freedom to do whatever men do within the rules and it should be respected. Nobody should expect any stereotype of anyone. If a guy plays with dolls or a girl likes video games, let it be! They like what they like! Don't mess with it! What needs do you speak of? Stereotyping or doing what society considers normal is not a need. If you stereotype out of choice, then it's questionable your morals and people will stereotype you back and don't complain when they do. Can you point to specific examples on this list?

• You did not read thoroughly what I said. 1) POSSIBLE 2) THEORY
      I am afraid if you didn't make the differentiation between that and what you state, you won't read properly what is written. This is going pretty off topic, but here are sources as you wish:

phys.org/.../...people-unnatural-values-human.html
      academic.oup.com/jah/article/98/3/723/684892
      www.scientificamerican.com/.../
      http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/6/7/e012467

Sources: American Sociological Association, Oxford Academic, Yale University, University of Central Arkansas, Multiple sources from Google Scholar, etc.

Although I have doubt you will will read into these much, the first one seems to aim closer to what I was stating. I can see the future where you deny all of these as biased liberal BS and go on a rude, viscous, vile, rant about it. But studies are studies and you asked for them. Maybe I can be proved wrong...

• @errorgoodnameunfound If you need to think of yourself as a more advanced example of humankind, that is your path to follow. It obviously fulfills your ego needs and helps you to have some self-esteem. If you are happy with being another young person who calls people names in a knee-jerk reaction whenever they disagree with you, then you will hopefully continue to evolve. I read the first authority you cited and, apart from the obvious bias which permeate academe, you have over-interpreted it to support your theory.

Frankly, I have had enough of your patronizing condescension. Goodbye!

• Pink is a girls colour only because of marketing. It used to be a boy colour.

• I believe these stereotypes are slowly going away. It used to be much worse.

• With my complexion I look good in certain pinks, I don't have a problem wearing the color.

I like sports, but I am not a fanatic about sports. I like to go to live games, but prefer to read than watch sports on television.

I know women are not neat, that is a sign that you are a none sexual friend. Because no female interested in you, will let you into her place if it is a mess.

There is a reason men don't cry in public or in front of women, because we are seen a weak and no matter how compassionate a female may be to a male stranger crying. I have yet to meet a female that is understanding, of her man crying in public or in front of her for that matter.

When a woman has to propose to her man, that is a big red sign that something is wrong with the relationship.

I don't know to many women that don't love makeup, but I know to many that don't like wearing a dress or skirt. Call me old fashion and a caveman, but for a formal event I think females should be in dresses not pants. Women just look more elegant and classy, in a dress than they do in slacks.

• The thing with Stereotypes..."gender wise" at least... They ARE majority speaking correct.

1. I think 99.9% of "straight men" haven't worn PINK... or have wanted to.

2. I think 99.9% of guys do like sports... Drinking Games are a Sport, LOL.

3. Yes... MOST men when they live alone ARE messy... but the funny thing is we still know where everything is, LOL.

4. Again, that is true for at least 90% of 2 parent family house holds.

5. Still true. Guys only gossip about sex/sexual things... girls gossip way more about everything.

6. I the only one I agree with you on. With all the #Metoo stuff it's coming. I already have thought for a long time that the girl should make the first more/ask guys out, as dating/doing anything sexual is 90% up to them.

7. 2/3rd of all video gamers are boys.

8. Compared to women.. we cry 10x less. The thing with that statement... is that is about single guys that are dating girls and only want sex and aren't in love. A guy that "IS IN-LOVE" will always cry if his wife/family gets seriously hurt/daughter gets married.

That statement is true when it comes to getting physically hurt, needing stitches, etc.

9. I never heard that... it's just that Guys like it/them for the most part... as they make a girl looks sexier. 99% of female fashion is based on how males like it/are attracted to it.

• I like pink colour (somewhat dark pinkish) I've worn it quite a times

I don't like sports. Swimming is the only sport in which I'm really good at. I love cricket too

I cry really often.

I'm less messy than other guys maybe because my mom scolds me often for that and she's a hygiene fanatic.

I won't mind if a girl would propose me

• i think "only men earning" is quickly dying or already dead. Not because of feminism, but because times are getting harder and wages are growing at the same rate as inflation. It is simply just too HARD to be a single income household, dual income makes so much more sense, fiscally.

• Gender stereotyping can limit the development of the natural talents and abilities of girls and boys, women and men, as well as their educational and professional experiences and life opportunities in general. Stereotypes about women both result from, and are the cause of, deeply engrained attitudes, values, norms and prejudices against women. They are used to justify and maintain the historical relations of power of men over women as well as sexist attitudes that hold back the advancement of women.

• I agree for the most part, many of these have little to gender and more to do with culture.

Women for the most part do like makeup. No one is forcing them to wear it.

Videogames are played by men for the most part because it appeals more to men than women instinctively. But I love me a gamer girl and wished more played.

• Gender stereotypes are true though... maybe not for everyone but when you make a stereotype you usually go with the majority.

I mean its just how it is. Also honestly in my experience if you a dude gossiping your considered to be acting like a bitch. Other dudes enforce male stereotypes like if another guy slap you and you cry your considered a bitch. No guy wants to be a considered a bitch so its the way it is. Obviously if your mom just died nobody is gonna call you a bitch for that one.

• guys gossip a TON.

• @UnaKaizen yeah xD Some of the most gossipy people I've met have been men. A lot are women too, though. its an equal sport, it seems.

• @UnaKaizen Never said guys don't but I don't think we do it as much females. If something big happened we gotta share it with the bros but we don't talk about it as excessively like females. I mean I'm basing this off what I see females do in class and my 2 sisters and mother who all identify as females and they seem to drag it with all the gossip talk.

• Good list, but I would add one thing. Girls can't ask a guy out or initiate a conversation with their crush.

• Men shouldn't cry. Crying is for women and girls only, but mostly for little girls. Any dude who cries is instantly damaged goods, and an effective lady repellent.

Simples...

• I'm a man who's not messy and isn't a big fan of sports. I don't like sports but wouldn't say I hate them. I don't follow sports and don't really like watching them.

• I can see your point,, but being transgender I still like the differences the sexs bring. Imagine a guy in a dress all the make up cannot come close to a lass in the same situation. I love the difference !!!

• Great short article :)
    Let me add one more thing to it:

10. Men's success is determined by his salary, assets and properties

• I agree with some of this mytake, but at the same time we need to acknowledge that there are differences between men and women and that men and women do often make different decisions based on their gender.

• No. I'm perfectly find with gender norms, gender roles, and gender stereotypes. Stop pretending men and women aren't fundamentally different, because we are.

• I was more concerned about stereotypes like "Women are always the better parent and should get children in the divorce" but uh, sure, pink. Let's fix that. Top of the list.

• Males are males. And females are females.

We have to accept it, if we don't accept it
    then we have movements like -

Feminism and Mgtow.

• cf.girlsaskguys.com/.../...8-a2d9-3d63a033357b.jpg

Yeah. Both extremes are doing the same thing, yet see the other side as enemies ๐Ÿ™„
      Although I would say, that the male-version of feminism would be MRA but MGTOW - on average (and high on their red pill rage) - does what feminazism is doing (hating the opposite sex).

• Little known fact, virtually none of these were stereotypes BEFORE the enlightenment movement. In fact until about 100 years ago blue was a girl's color and pink was a boy's color. Likewise, while potty training was still going on, most toddlers wore dresses no matter their gender. Also, before the enlightenment, most wives were business partners with their husbands and would run their business single-handedly if he had to leave for a time for something or other. Women were treated wit far more respect before the enlightenment because they were seen as equal with men. After the enlightenment, bit was thought that reason was the most important thin and that men were the epitome of reason while women were only of emotion making them "less than" after that point.

• I'm a substitute teacher for teens, and I wear pink ALL the time at work in some way or another. My students (grades 7-12) dig it so much. :-D

• I agree with you on all of these. There is no biological basis for any of these stereotypes.

• Why is it "needed"? Would it be more succinct to say you "want it"? I classify wants and needs based on necessity to survival. None of these things meet that criteria.

• You forgot these:

Man up.
    Don't hit girls.
    Take it like a man.

• Good luck with that. Men will always have those expectations because we are society's beasts of burden.

• Uh no. Boys should not wear pink. And guys should definitely be the ones to propose, not the other way around.

Other than that, decent list.

• Funny. what if I am wearing pink right now? What if I just had my fiance propose to me the other day. What are you gonna do about it? Sue me? I can do what I want and if you judge, I'll judge back and if you take any harmful actions based on your judgements, I'll fuck your life up bad. Problem?

• @errorgoodnameunfound I have no idea what you're talking about.

• But I like my male stereotypes...
    Plus, pink used to be a boys colour.

• I agree with those, I am the clean one in our marriage, I cook and do the laundry and most of the shopping. I have no issues with it, right now she does make more than Me, so what I worked my ass of for 20 years 70 to 90 hrs a week making 80 to 90k a year and was miserable. So the change has made me a better husband father and papa. I get to hang w my 3 grand kids more than anyone and they love being w me now where before they were like who is that grumpy dude! So yes tags and stereotypes need to go!

• Women shouldn't play video games, they do, but they shouldn't. It's a sin and you will go to hell for it.

• Show more from Guys
    39

What Girls Said 31

• I have only one guy friend wearing pink sometimes, it looks nice on him โœ”
    In junior highschool one of the guys mocked another guy for having a pink notebook so he ripped the pink cover off his own notebook during class, teacher noticed him and gave him a lesson about stereotypes, now only the mocking guy is ashamed of himself ๐Ÿ™Š
    Anyway I like pink too!
    And I like to practice sports, here in Italy almost every guy likes soccer but some don't even play sports so... Well w/e ๐Ÿ™ƒ
    Most men are messy, we meet for parties and sometimes at one of our friends' we found things um can't even say but like crime scene ๐Ÿ˜ฑ
    Working in Italy, everyone wants to work, maybe old stereotype or idk?
    Gossip always trying to avoid it myself but my friends get me in so easily, not even noticing it, but me is like ๐Ÿ™Š anyway aand ik guys gossip a lot too, so never thinking of this stereotype...
    (Maybe Italians are too outspoken?)
    Proposal um for relationship or marriage?
    I think this depends on character, but I don't know about marriage, it seems a true stereotype in movies ๐Ÿค”
    I play games but not many friends play ๐Ÿ†—
    Crying umm happens more often for me and my friends like when we watch drama, guys just avoid watching it with us and if there are sad sad moments in a movie they either become ice cold with feelings or joke about the scene...
    Sometimes happens that guys cry if talking in private, with me, or in chat but in chat is not the same thing...
    Fashion is also for men surely, some guys know even more than me!
    But only few guys use makeup, they ask me advice sometimes ๐Ÿ’„

In the and anyway I don't mind some stereotypes, there are worse, it's nice is everyone can have a bit more open mentality though, so everyone can understand each other better, hopefully!

• "Both my guy friends"
    "Both my guy"
    "BOTH"

I get your point but you really shouldn't use an example that consists of two out of 8 billion. I have two guy friends who do swordcraft... That doesn't mean most guys do, it means two guys that im friends with do swordcraft.

• yeh but like i get it more guys like pink but I don't know where to get an example of that

• Both my exes were not interested in sports at all but I am a huge cricket freak. My guy friends are interested in cricket though.

The stereotype of men earning for the family puts such a heavy disregard towards women who work hard to earn for their families, it breaks my heart.

My room is messy af and mom calls it a cowshed lol. My ex had a very very clean and tidy room.

And boys gossip a hell lot! Oh god. The way boys bitch about other boys just how girls do. I don't have friends in school but even hearing my classmates say stuff like that makes me want to bury myself.

Regarding proposing, anyone who believes it's time to get married should propose. Doesn't matter if it's the guy or girl, whoever is first.

And it is okay for men. Men do cry less because of nature, but it doesn't make crying not okay for them at all.

And not all women love dressing up and makeup although I absolutely love it. But yes, women do enjoy shopping and makeup more because women can distinguish more shades of colors and there are relatively less colorblind women than men in the world. Still, it doesn't mean that all women are shopaholic lol.

• Are your parents crying now. Just curious or proud of you?

• we will neve get rid of them sadly

because she and he is still a thing
    and boys and girls are still different by appearance

and with some people still beliving in it
    your screwing up all of society

so wel never fix it unless all humans die right now and we restart

• well most don't consider these stereotypes true anymore, although there'll always be some. so i feel you on that lol. i mean i'm not into pink, not earning money myself, gossip, and dressing up along with doing makeup. at the same time though, there's nothing wrong with those who do. but yeah, not everyone should be generalized. guys too, as you mentioned

• Very true, thank you. My dad is the biggest gossiper I know, and my brother's favorite color is pink.

• Agreed, but the stereotypes came about through our actions when girls became shy and defenseless and boys assertive and brave. Until there is a major pattern break, we can say bye-bye to anti- stereotypes.

• What is a boy? what is a girl? we are both equals we were created for the same purpose. We can be whoever we wanna be and we can do whatever we wanna do. Nothing can limit us.

• Nope we are not equal nor were we created for the same purpose. Women have their place. Stay in your lane!

• @StayInYourLane Oh the weak minded weaker man. How peculiar. You see young boy, the superior ones in the world are ones that don't care so much for look, gender, etc, but for potential and how far they actually go. If a man can both take care of kids AND be a soldier and his wife can do the same, they are FAR superior than a man who can ONLY be a soldier and a wife that can ONLY take care of kids, but not vice versa.

• @StayInYourLane really? I wonder where is that lane cause I can't see it in my life ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

• I couldn't agree more! Everybody saying that these are just speculations, know hey are full of BS. I'm way over stereotypes, let individuals create their own legacies. But that could just be me, everybody calls me the modern day flower child. :)

• It's true. Best mytake ever! My room is like a horror movie basement. I like blue and i hate most dresses and rarely use makeup. I got really p*ssed off when one of my guy friends got injured at PE and was on the verge of tears but the guys kept bullying him and making fun of him about it.. it's sad what we've come to.

• The gossip thing is definitely not a girls thing... I thought switching from an all female office to an all male facilities team would have less gossip but god it's like highschool all over again.

• I agree to all of what you've mentioned :) one of the top ones I dislike s the "men don't cry" one. That's just bs. XD

• Or "men shouldn't show emotion, that's for girls/babies/fags"

• They are definetly not all accurate steryotypes.. but isn't it good to have them as an incentive?

• I agree COMPLETELY! Girls and Guys stereotypes suck!

• Wait some guys are still scared of wearing pink because they see it as girly? I though that was only an issue before 5 years old.

• Guys are manly. Most of my guyfriends are very gentle and sometirmes feminine although some are not gay. They sometimes cry.

• I agree with this to a major extent! I am not a Feminist, but these are beliefs I hold. My mother is the main money maker and my dad was stay-at-home.

• Why do we need to break them when they are mostly true? I don't understand at all.

• I hate it when people assume these things

• Beautifully written <3

• it'd be nice if they were all gone

• Great job.

• Love this take! Great job๐Ÿ’œ

• I liked it!

• All good points :)
    I do love dresses and makeup though.

• Thank you

• Also to add to your list, ' the guy should be taller than the girl in the relationship ' , let's kill this stereotype!

• Yes!!! These gender stereotypes do need to disappear...

• Show more from Girls
    1