A World Without Guns Is Not A World I Want To Live In

Before I start I should point out that I actually am in favor of stricter gun legislation. This Take is going against those who say that the world would be better without guns.

A world without guns is a world in which the strongest and most violent among us can kill with impunity. It's the world where a man armed with a knife can hold down and rape a woman with half a dozen people sitting nearby who are too afraid to attack and stop him. It's the kind of world in which a person can't defend themselves when a few burglars break into their house and kill them and their children.

You can't be serious, it's impossible to kill multiple people with knives.

March 1, 2014 8 men and women armed only with knives went on a slaughtering spree in Kunming China. They killed 31 and injured 143. Police arrived within ten minutes of the first calls and only stopped this spree of violence when an officer opened fire killing 4 of the assailants and injuring 1.

July 2016 a man kills 19 and wounds 26 in Samagihara Japan.

2008 Akihabara Massacre man goes into a shopping district armed with a knife killing 7 and injuring 10.

Tel Aviv man enters a bus and stabs 12 before being shot by a police officer.

March 22 2017 British man kills two and injures 40 before being shot dead.

December 2012 man stabs 23 children in Chenpeng

Any sane person would just call the police!

Really? Why? If you want to protect yourself and your family calling the police is not likely to help. It takes the police time to get to you. Police are always reactionary, this is just the nature of a crime. If you want to be alone with a serial rapist and murderer armed with a knife for 5-15 minutes be my guest, but this is not a situation I would want to find myself in. A World Without Guns Is Not A World I Want To Live In

Lawrence Singleton, man who served 8 years in prison for raping a 15 year old girl before chopping off her arms and throwing her off a roof. Do you really think if an armed and properly trained person was nearby that they couldn't have stopped this?

Conclude

I think that's enough case examples. 1600 people were killed by knives in America during 2016, and the simple fact of the matter is that the only reliable way to defend yourself/ others from being killed by a person armed with a knife is a gun. Hell, this is why we call police to come to our aid in the first place. I will reiterate that gun laws should be stricter, but I'll save that for my next take.

1139
ladsin is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree with everything except the statement that gun laws should be stricter. I'm all in favor of doing whatever it takes to prevent gun violence. However I'm interested in what has been proven to reduce or increase gun violence not what people THINK will decrease gun violence. Murder rates go up with the introduction of new and stricter gun control laws. Violent crime goes down when gun control is done away with or reduced. This is objectivelying true. It has been proven by statistics time and time again. People who advocate strickery gun laws have never seemed to truly debunk these studies only claim they are inaccurate under highly questionable arguments.

I don't have time to write more but if you want know why I support constitutional carry in every state... just read the book "More Guns Less Crime" by John Lett. He was a professor and economist who studied the effects of gun control as well as the relaxation of gun laws. People have made claims to discredit them but all of them have been based on false premises.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I would have to disagree. Japan is a place which has strict gun laws and has much less crime overall. Obviously sociological factors account for much of this, but I can't see or at least any argument that America doesn't have a problem with gun violence.

• I'm not, I was just pointing out my particular state's issue.

• Indeed. Yet that kind of flawed thinking is the source of motivation for many gun control arguments. Whether or not they are valid, people will argue that high crime in places with lax gun laws means there is a correlation between more guns and more crime, rather than asking the question... as opposed to what? They don't know what the alternative would be. They can't say more gun control translates to less gun violence because they can't know that. They can't experience the "what if" of restricting guns unless they do just that... oh wait yes they can.

Those who fail to learn from the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat the same (to paraphrase Winston Churchill's quote)

We can look at what has happened elsewhere when guns have been restricted. It results in more violent crime. More guns results in a shift and reduction, from violent crime to non-violent crime with an overall drop to total crime.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 10

• And your point? In your first example it was 10 men doing the killing and they only managed to 31. That's a very low number for that many people. Had it of been 10 men with assault rifles yeah everyone there would be dead. So this stupid comparison you're attempting to do has no real point

• And injured 143 in ten minutes... I'm not arguing that all criminals should be outfitted with guns. So... It only took one police officer with a gun to stop all of these people. If there had been a person with proper training and a gun they could have stopped this atrocity.

I'm saying people have a right to defend themselves from those who would victimize them.

• Simple acting as if guns are the only way to protect ones self. Then explain why in Japan and South Korea where guns are banned and a crime happens can people and cops still defend themselves?

• Japan just has less violent crime in general. Guns don't cause crime. The problem in America is that we have higher rates of all violent crime.
      Two of the mass stabbings I mentioned were in Japan. It was harder to take them down because of this.

• Look I disagree, probably because I'm so fucking glad I live in Australia where guns are very regulated, but I think more than guns, the US has a crime issue. Guns could be related but I think it's part of a greater issue.

• I agree that we have a violent crime issue.

• Alright, well this is getting a little redundant. Thanks for the discussion! Have a good day.

• @lilaqua According to statistics put out by the UN and the FBI, America ranks middle of the pack as far as violence goes. You act like we're #1, when we're not. The only unicorn in the "civilized" group is Australia, who had extremely low gun violence to begin with. They had 1 mass shooting in their entire history, and even that was enough to make those timid lemmings ban all guns everywhere. The EU as a whole has violent crime on the rise, and we all know why that is. The US is at least steady or on a decline.

• People in countries without guns are doing fine and aren't petitioning for their right to shoot though.

• Are they? If someone is being raped and murdered do you really think that they're thinking, "oh thank god im not allowed to have a gun."

• Like I said, it's dangerous for kids to find and play with it. I'm sure you know that in order for it to be safe at home, you need to lock your guns away and keep the bullets separate from the weapons. I don't think that people who buy them specifically for self-protection purposes do that. They don't want to keep the unloaded gun in the bedroom and upon hearing someone break in in the kitchen to have to run to the living room to get the bullets and load their gun in the darkness.

• Oh yeah I completely disagree. There's all sorts of ways to have your gun locked away and easily accessible. In fact you have to do this if you want to be a responsible gun owner.

• Only law abiding citizens obey gun laws Mr Lad.
    Law abiding citizens do not need to be punished for what criminals do.
    Loved the rest of your myTake though :)

• For me that would actually be an interesting world to live in. Killing someone with hands or knife or anything from a close proximity takes more viciousness and makes the person really feel what they've done - since they literally have blood on their hands.
    (You definitely can't deny that today's firearms kill a lot more people than any one person with a knife... And much faster as well.)
    It would be interesting to see how the world would fair without any firearms. It will never happen, that's 100% for certain, but it's an interesting thing to think about.

• I wouldn't recommend it. We know a fair amount about the violent death rates in pre-gun societies and they were almost always worse. This isn't an argument that guns reduced the violent death rate, but just an acknowledgement that people will find a way to kill others without weapons, and as best we can tell at similar if not greater rates.

Some of the more devastating weapons (rifles) actually kill less people yearly than fists and feet do. Only about a quarter of the knifing deaths, etc.

• Yes... I mentioned them in the comment below... tribes...

• Ah. Missed that

• i think a world without guns (including criminals) would be better for crimes and stuff but like i think farmers and stuff would still want them to kill rabits or like sometimes dogs get hurt and are in a lot of pain, and they have to be shot, but hunting for fun isn't necessary so we should just use them when theyre absolutely necessary

• I may be misunderstanding you, but are you saying that the world would be better without criminals at all? I'd agree with that, the problem is that there are criminals, there are people out there who want to bring you harm, and I think you (general) should be allowed to defend yourself with the best possible tools for the job.

• @Nivinxus omg no but thats so weird, that means like schools could print them! haha that kinda sucks though, there's not much point in controlling guns anymore then

• No there is a point, it just means the Government will have to be more restrictive in not only guns but the means to make guns. In Australia, it's not just guns that are restricted, but ammunition and empty bullet shells as well. Remember, no matter what, guns are weapons that requires specific sets of conditions for it to be a functional weapon.

• You should be sectioned, you. Preferably for a VERY long time.

• What is sectioned?

• What are you talking about? Did I ask to have the right to shoot up a school?

• Fuck off. Imbécile.

• So... What do you think about gun laws?

• Let's ban knives

• While we're at it what about rocks and bricks? :) people use those as weapons too. X3

• Very good read... I completely agree...

What Guys Said 38

• "A world without guns is a world in which the strongest and most violent among us can kill with impunity."

A world with guns is a world in which the weakest and least violent among us can kill with impunity. Which is why scrawny little white boys are able to massacre dozens of school children.

• You'll never convince the anti's. The only way they get convinced is if they suffer from some kind of violent act of a perpetrator and realize if they had a gun they could have defended themselves.
    Otherwise, they are acting out on emotion - there is no logic and there are no facts to backup their position.

• When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

• And how does that compare to guns? Imagine all those cases with guns.

It's called escalation. They bring knife so you bring guns. They bring guns you will need grenades. They bring grenades then you will need machine guns. They bring machine guns to you will need anti material rifles. They bring sniper rifles and you will want armored vehicles.

If you counter people with bigger guns then you will need ever bigger guns.

Rely on statistics rather than case study. Asian are really bad at dealing with mass murder. Unlike the US which happens on a daily basis, they are ultra rare in those Asian countries. Nobody got the training and knowledge to deal with bloody cases that involves multiple victims.

You can easily trace this back to ancient times of China when possessing a 10-inch blade would be considered a crime. When government had strong crack down on weapon possession, you got a lot of hidden weapons. During the period of weaken laws and government control, you get a massive development in weapons and methods of murder.

• So your argument is that people should not be allowed to defend themselves with a gun because someone else may get a gun?

Guns can increase the lethality of an attack, I'm not pretending otherwise, but guns can also prevent these things. There's a reason that in most of the cases I mentioned the police came. They came with a gun and stopped the attacker.

• Rifles and handguns are both guns.. why do you single out rifles? How many people carry rifles around in populated areas anyway?

Because you already have the alternative of less lethal method then there is no reason to carry a giant block of lumber and steel around while you go shopping at the mall.

• I would simply disagree that we have an equitable means of protection. You can just youtube videos of tazers and pepper spray and see how frequently they're ineffective.

I just mentioned rifles specifically because they are the most deadly weapons. They offer killing force at a greater range, offer a greater capacity, larger caliber etc. These aren't used often in killing. This was trying to preemptively, or perhaps just point out that things like the AR15 (which many people are terrified of) actually aren't the problem with American gun violence.

• I would still have a go with a knife wielding psychopath. We had a case here in Oz, where an Islamic extremist attacked an man in a park, the victim suffered serious injuries and ran into a shop for protection, and islander and his kids came to his aid, he picked up a fence post and fucked the guy upside the head a few times, then the cops came. Saved the aussies life, otherwise he terrorist would have finished him off.

• I am against most gun control laws. If there was a way for guns to just not exist at all for anyone I would like that, but I admit, I am one of the type that would be violent and take what I want from so many people that couldn't stop me without guns. Because without guns, if you are better at close quarters combat that the local law, you really could get away with a lot.

• How did he he only get eight years? He ripped her arms off and threw her off a roof!

• He got 14 but was allowed out after 8 on good behavior. I think 14 was the maximum punishment because the girl lived.

• Nope. 'Merica

• Yeah, I know.

• A worldwithoutschool shootings must be so boring: news.google.com/.../school%20shooting

And there was one mentioned in the Chicagotribune too : www.chicagotribune.com/.../...-20180302-story.html

• So if that guy at Sandy Hook had gone in with a machete instead of rifle, who do you think would have stopped him? The first-graders? The 90 lb teacher?

• Gun toting Joe Average isn't properly trained, well motivated either.

• Did I say he was?
      You did see the part where I multiply stated that we need tighter legislation... right?

• You and me both, the saying, god made men, but Sam colt made them equal refers to that, before guns, the strongest man could do as he pleased as long as he had a knife, sword, or ax

• Well said. Only the delusional desire to live in a bubble thinking this earth is heaven.

They have no idea how many bad people in this earth have a desire to hurt others for the sole purpose of hurting others.

My grandma yesterday told me a dude went up to a girl and just killed her for "Because He wanted to kill somebody"

It's extremely risky to live in this world and not have a gun.

• The invalidity of your take isn’t your opinion, it’s the assumption that the world would somehow be worse off, mostly cause you don’t know a world where no guns exists. After that, I subscribe to the Chris rock quote from his last special. 3rd, I’m pretty sure 10 people with knives is a lot different than 1 dude with a knife compared to 10 people with a gun and 1 person with a gun. Also, that last question about the dude chopping some chick’s arms off is kinda invalid given that we still have guns and it happened and no one saved the chick... that’s a self defeating question

Side note, what dickhead thought it would be a good idea to
    1- only give a pedophile who chopped some bitch’s arm off only 8 years?

• No well-trained person was nearby with a gun to save her. Additionally, most of these knifing sprees I mentioned ONLY ended when a well-trained person with a gun came to put an end to it.

He was sentenced to 14 but only served 8. He got out ok good behavior before he went on to rape and murder another woman.

• Well, I mean, old society is not much to go off of given that pre guns (and post guns), the idea of bathing was considered stupid, cars didn’t exist, the sun revolving around the earth was blasphemous, the world was relatively isolated and feudalism and slavery were somewhat still in vogue. The only definitive thing you could say guns would be a benefit for is war due to lack of close combat against armies and large swaths of people (ie the battle of the bastards)

• Yeah, that's why I said that guns didn't cause the difference.

I don't know how much I could agree though. Old warfare used to be much bloodier. I think the suggested rates are ~15% of people dying from violent injuries in antiquity. Then the violent death rate dropped to it's lowest point (until now) in the 20th century when, despite two world wars, our violent death rate was less than 1%. Plus we've actually had a lot more than just two world wars, and as far as casualties go only one of ours makes the top 10 (I think it comes in around 6)

• Resource-based economy. War (War is a Racket, Smedly Butler, Major-General USMC, retired), and crime are the greatest numbers. And are gone within a resource-based economy, especially a post-scarcity society. Behavior in general will change so, that the other things will fade away. Yes, human nature is difficult, yet easy if you give it what it needs most - support, stability, and opportunity. Notice I said will. Because this is happening.

• Sad fact is the only true way to stop the spree of violence that is tearing our world apart is to change how every human in the world acts. For the entirety of humanity bloodshed has been very common. Wars have been fought over food, money, land, people. Entire kingdoms and empires have fallen over such simple things as love, anger, jealousy etc.. To eliminate all conflict you have to eliminate the very thing that makes a human unique you have to get rid of there emotions and there ability to have curiosity. Other than that about the only way to truly bring the world together and stop the wanton spread of violence seems to be when an extinction level event happens. Assuming that the movies are basically saying that given global extinction people smarten up and put aside all hatreds etc... Good luck and Best regards.

• If you want to see a world without guns, look to Japan. All firearms are illegal, and even police do not have them. As a result, there are about 4-5 gun fatalities PER YEAR in Japan... a country with half the population as the USA.

The reason why Americans feel the need to arm themselves, is because their culture is COMPLETE SHIT. Rape is glorified among many men in America, where 9/10 men have porn addictions. Violence is glorified in American culture such as TV shows, Hollywood movies, music (mostly from rap music) and video games.

As a consequence, civilians in shithole countries like America NEED guns, because they have been taught to fight against everyone, including their neighbors.

• Mexico has strict gun legislation and a very high gun crime rate.

So yes, cultural factors are at play.

• I dont know... i want a world with no weapons... period. I mean, if you wanna hurt/kill someone, you would have to go in close and personal. Its ridiculous to be able to kill without even being in the same vicinity as the person. Like a sniper or even worse... destroying an entire city with the push of a button.
    i mean.. if you don't wanna be hurt... then get stronger.
    but with guns... you can be as strong as you fucking want... spent 38 years building it up, and some 5 year old happens to find your.45 and accidentally pulls the trigger while its pointed at you. and poof.

I like guns... but i hate bullets. Im more of a Katana guy.

• True. All the women of the world should be at the whims of whatever big/strong guy happens along her path.

• or she can uglify herself... make herself less desirable...
      and plus... most rapes are just reactions... stop making it sound like its only guys that rape women... the shit goes both ways. I've been raped twice. the problem is society... i don't bitch about it. It happened... i moved on.

• Alrighty

• You could say that guns are life.

That's what I say, anyway.

• Just make those guns harder to get, and put a mental stability test before they get their gun license
    But semi auto and auto fire type guns must be banned, they'll tremendously increase the casualty rate even if the crime rate is the same

Guns are only useful in societies where violent crimes are frequent...
    Especially America
    But places where the crime rate is low, they'll just serve to increase the collateral damage hence I assume that's why they're banned

It's quite interesting to see the others thinking of preferring not to have a gun even if a violent crime happens to them... although they're stubborn in this aspect, I'm sure they'll change their minds when they actually become the victim's themselves!
    I personally feel they're indoctrinated to think guns = more crime and casualties by watching the media and the left wing news... what do you think about this?

• A world without guns isn't even feasible, let alone desirable. What do you do when a semi-truck is coming at you and a crowd full of people? Pull your knife on it? It took one man 60 seconds to kill 71 people with a truck. What's the answer to that? Ban semis? Outside of shooting the driver, that truck ain't stopping. Even concrete barricades are laughed at by objects that massive. And we already know you can make perfectly good bombs out of everyday house hold chemicals. Hell, fertilizer plants can explode with massive force without extra additives, let alone if you actually tailor your chemicals to optimize the explosion.

• Finally something I agree with from you 😂 100% good take!

• Agree, I'd rather be shot than have my stomach cut open

• More from Guys
    18