Positive Prejudices: How the Entertainment Industry is Doing More Damage to Equality Than People Realize

Time for my second myTake, I'm still new to this. So the average length or style I haven't figured out yet. But I will do my to make my points understood.

When replying. Please make sure you have read the entire myTake and to provide points to your reason. Cursing at anothers opinion adds nothing of value to the discussion or your views.

"Jordan Peele’s ‘Get Out’ Is the First Debut Feature From an African-American Writer/Director to Make $100 Million"

"After Black Panther and Wonder Woman, Batgirl needs a female director"

"Amy Schumer Doesn’t Think She Deserves the Same Salary as Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock"

These are some of the titles I've noticed that always catch my eye. At first glance it doesn't really bother people, and me bringing it up is not meant to cause problems. But my discussion will be based on articles like these.

We all want equality. We all want people to feel safe and seen as equal regardless of skin color. Or gender or culture. I am not racist. You'd think I wouldn't have to say that. But people seem to attack you if you don't. My point I want to make is how damaging these type of articles or issues or debates are to true equality. And the idea that positive prejudices is a gateway to being equal when it really isn't.

"Woman directed good movie" doesn't equal oscar (despite Oscar being pretty political and weak nowdays)

"First ever black director makes movie about slavery" doesn't equal Oscar.

I have no doubt in my heart a woman or black person or Mexican or gay or straight person can make an amazing movie. An amazing series or work of art. Your color or gender should not influence how your work of art is seen and how it is published. If you worked days on a project, maybe building your own house and someone came and said, "This this is amazing, because you are black" is it a compliment (yes.... kinda) but would you want to hear that? You want to be praised on your talents, not how you look or are born.

In the same way there is little to no doubt whenever a minority in a country makes a good piece of television or cinema they are praised more than if, say, a white man did the same thing. People will say there is already tons of good movies made by white people. No... There's already tons of good movies made by people... And this movie made by a black person or woman is another one of them.

People will say how these minorities never used to be included in things like this and of course the world has is dark sick history with slavery and racism and sexism. But how long until we stop basing the level of praise something deserves from the color of someones skin or their gender? I'm a good cook. Not an amazing female cook. I'm a good cook. That's all. Me being a woman doesn't add any merit.

Now I'm not saying you mustn't use words like black or woman or Asian. I'm refering to the reason for someone's talents (Had to add this to avoid pointless accusations)

In the same way overpraising something because it comes from a minority is more racist in itself. This is good because a black person made it.... Again...no...it's good because the person who made it worked hard and did it well. This applies to many facets of entertainment including forced inclusion even if it voids accuracy. Or treating a movie as superior because it includes different sexualitys.

I'm lesbian.. Say a movie is about a lesbian love story. I have no doubt it will praised all over even if it's a crappy movie. Why... Because they want to seem like they're being inclusive and accepting. If you want me to feel accepted, don't judge a movie based on what boxes of inclusivity it ticks. Base it on it's story, characters, acting, artwork, you know, things it's supposed to be praised for.

Same goes for any other type of entertainment which is why I included the Amy Schumer article. She demanded equal pay.. Why... Because she's a woman. When that should have no relevance to being a comedian. Your pay is based on the quality of your show and the amount of tickets sold. You want to be paid more? Put on a better show...

This is why I feel this false sense of praise and positive prejudice is way more damaging to the goal of making all people of all color or gender seen as equal.

Hopefully you are able to discern my point. Over time I will improve... I hope.

1033

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you did a fine job and I agree with the major premises of your piece. We've gotten a long way from Martin Luther King's dream that his children would not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. He was dreaming of a world in which merit was celebrated regardless of superficialities like skin color or gender or sexual identity. But that's not the world we live in today. The most race-conscious, gender-conscious, sexuality-conscious people today are liberals. They make everything about race or gender. I agree with you: I don't care what color skin a film-maker has. It it's a good movie it's a good movie. And I do get annoyed when people criticize a movie like "Dunkirk" for not having the carefully-approved number of "people of color." They weren't there because that wouldn't be accurate history.

• Exactly... I have no doubt people of any race. Color. Creed or gender can make an amazing movie. But all those factors don't influence it into being a good movie. There talent does

Most Helpful Girl

• THANK YOU for posting this. People are so PC these days. Not offending minorities, overcompensating and praising people for their skin color is not what even Martin Luther King had in mind!!! What is happening to this country? I agree with all your points. It's like... as a woman... I shouldn't have to have special treatment. I want to be loved for what I do, not for the gender I am. Don't forget the 100 different genders! The alt left has made society into offended, obsessive cry babies! Thank you for showing this idea! :)

• Your welcome. Im happy you liked myTake. It's my second one. So im not a professional writer of them yet. I agree that society has become too pc. And praise is given more to someones gender or race than their actual talent.

• Awesome! EXACTLY! :)

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 32

• No, I can't discern your point because it comes from a lopsided foundation. It proceeds from a false assumption/foundation that before we tried to introduce diversity, we had quality.

It's the same argument used in the argument about employment. When it comes to the fire department, women for decades have been ruled out, because they were the "weaker" sex. So legislation is passed that women have to be given the same consideration as men. Counter arguments are introduced making the claim that standards have been "lowered". Why? How?

Because of the built-in assumption that all the men who were being hired because of a sexist hiring policy were qualified and of high quality. An assumption that on its very face is sexist.

Moving to your analogies in the entertainment space, I apply the same logic. There was an argument a while back that the reason why movies with non-"White" leads did poorly was because they were of poor quality. And that is because of the ethnocentric assumption that "western" values projected universally. We get movies that lack diversity of actors/actresses, scripts, topics, dialogue, etc. because all of these movies have to be funneled into a narrow cone of "acceptability". It is an assumption that has been proven wrong time and again.

A movie about lesbians needs to be concerned with telling a good story about lesbians. I hardly think lesbians will be celebrating a crappy movie. Likewise, not many "Black" people think "Medea's Family Reunion" is great theater.

• @RolandCuthbert Exactly, you are defiantly well educated on this and present your knowledge well without bias to create a stronger argument here. Thank you for writing this I agreed with all your points because it was evident research was done here not just personal opinions formed from emotion.

• @rolandcuthbert Thank you for your opinion. Hopefully mine hasn't upset you somehow im sure you prefer a civil discussion rather than petty insults or assumptions. I never meant for you to think that. Im new at MyTakes so I may end up not putting in points I forget or don't think of.

I never said there's aren't any bad movies made by black people or Gays. Of course there are and of course peoples know these movies are bad. Like some of the Tyler perry ones.

And no Black panthers praise wasn't all because it's a black director. I never said that either. I think both Wonder woman and Black Panther are good movie's. I personally don't see them as masterpieces or great films. But they are good. My point is that there have been a lot of articles online of people who do praise those movies because of the female director or the black director.. That doesn't mean all. But some do. Those are the ones im bringing up in my discussion. Those who compliment on skill because of color or gender.

• Understood.

But I want to make sure that this whole discussion is cast in the right light. After years of "White" male directors, maybe we deserve some diversity in direction, production, acting, and writing?

If "we" can get over the hurdle of expecting everyone to comply with some singular worldview, we can actually see some diversity on screen.

Well, if that is your goal. You don't have to want this goal. But I think it is important to recognize that there are those who want this.

I think it is a bad assumption to claim that there was this high standard of quality existing before we thought about diversity. In fact, I am quite certain without diversity, we have lost something in the kinds of stories we can tell.

A movie every lover of the cinema should see. . . but how many even know about it?

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/.../...268_AL_.jpg

• The truth is that the "diversity" advocated by all those people can be summed up with one sentence: get rid of white males.
    Their diversity is just a racist and sexist statement. The problem is that the US already accepted it. You're now stuck with racist and sexist people who think their are right to be racist and sexist. Who think white people has to be pushed aside and subdued because they're evil.

• I agree to a certain extend. I have no doubt there are those who think like exactly as you described "get rid of white males" but the way I see it. I feel it's almost like a huge worldwide sense of white guilt and history guilt that they still feel the need to "balance' yet by the way they feel they balancing it.

It is just replacing racism or sexism towards woman and minority's with racism towards white people and specifically white men.

Although this doesn't apply to everyone. I can certainly see there are some with this kind of mindset.

• You're way overstating it, man. It's more complicated than that.

• I smoke a joint tonight, I smoke a joint tonight.
    Me and all these dinosaurs are blazin blunts tonight.
    We blazin blunts tonight, We blazin blunts tonight.
    Me and all these dinosaurs is on a hunt tonight.

Ill only spit this one time so let me take it slow.
    I started to get high about an hour ago,
    but then the buzzer rang and I looked out the peephole
    It was a whole bunch of raptors and they just won't go.
    I stepped back and the knocks I just tried to ignore
    Thought I was safe but they knew how to open doors
    and without even asking they just came on in
    They started smokin my weed and then they called their friends.

I smoke a joint tonight, I smoke a joint tonight.
    Me and all these dinosaurs are rollin bones tonight.
    We rollin bones tonight, We rollin bones tonight.
    Me and all these dinosaurs is gettin stoned tonight.

I smoke a spliff tonight, I smoke a spliff tonight.
    Me and these dinosaurs is gettin freakin ripped tonight.
    We gettin faced tonight, We gettin faced tonight.
    And all these dinosaurs is crashin at my place tonight.

An Allosaurus in the corner tryin to pack the bong,
    Hot boxin in the john with a pteradon.
    And Now a compy and a stega startin to get it on,
    But I can barely move because this weeds the bomb.
    A anklysaurus makin smores and eatin lucky charms,
    The pterodactyl took my whole bag of pepperidge farms.
    T-rex just went and set off the fire alarm
    and now he can't get it out because he's got little arms.

Now my neighbors on the phone and said she called the cops
    and this really freaked out the triceratops.
    he's tryin to climb out the window and we yellin stop
    cause Im on the fifth floor and its a heck of a drop.
    We heard a knock and then the cops said they wanted in
    Then the cirolliphus tried to go and talk to them,
    but he made things worse cause he reeked of weed and gin
    but luckily the laphasaurus quickly jumped on in.
    They said we were too loud and that folks were in bed.
    The laph told the cops we would be quiet and said
    But then they shined the light and asked why his eyes were red.
    We were busted, so thats when he bit off their heads.

Me and all these dinosaurs is gettin stoned.

• "never used to be included in things like this"
    Nope, that is just Marvel marketing or did you forget Blade existed BEFORE Avengers.
    Also, Xena was there WAYYYYYYYYY before Wonder Woman. Again, it was marketing.
    All-female heist movies were a thing much before the new Ocean's 8 or has everyone forgotten Wild Things wasn't just one pool scene?
    I miss when entertainment was supposed to be entertaining first and foremost with everything else being very very subtle. e. g. RoboCop, Total Recall and Demolition Man. Even the novel War of the Worlds and the Invisible Man.
    Also, Black Panther was horrible. There was too much talking, the other bad guys turned on a dime dispute having absolutely no motivation to, and the justification of the main villain was beyond stupid given how well the US army treated him, even the society itself is literally a dictatorship with ONE valuable resource i. e. very similar to Saudi Arabia and Venezuela in terms of possible power dynamics, MatPat even did a whole theory on it. Also, in those thousands of years they had that metal they had no bad ruler or rebellion despite not having a democracy? seriously? Also also, his great great grandfather never knew about slavery happening? his grandfather never heard about MLK or Malcolm X? In all that time no other Wakandan got left in a country with racism? Also, half of T'Chaks's army turned on him in one second but no one bothered about all those things in those hundreds of years? No one except his uncle decided screw the king I am taking on the Boars myself? No one decided to help Zulus against the British at Roke's Drift? No one wanted to step in to stop the civil war following that? Only one person decided to do something in the F'ing 90s? AFTER slavery, after Mandala, after MLK but apparently Ice Cube's Black Korea and some comparatively tiny riots are more urgent? The entire plot hinging on racism/revenge-racism FROM THE 90's is the stupidest decision in the movie.

• I agree. Awards should be for excellence not as participation trophies

• Exactly how I feel. I rather get an award for doing a good job and not for doing a job cause im a woman.

• When you sacrifice meritocracy on the alter of social justice you lose any semblance of quality or craftsmanship you once had. There's no surprise here. The role of director should go to the most qualified, not the most politically correct. Same with the role of star actor. If you don't do that, you won't get the best result. Duh.

• Absolutely. Praise has to start somewhere though to encourage others. Once it becomes old and commonplace, usually then can some get there on strictly merit alone. That's not to say there aren't really good pics made by minorities of race, ethnicity, religion, gender or handicap that are strictly merit based.

• I believe there should be special funding for minority groups to be heard - but then once it comes to judging, everything is on an equal playing field. Judged on merit.

Amy Schumer annoys me. She wasn't offered as much, because she didn't have as great of a commercially successful track record. But nope "I'm a women, muh gender wage gap"

• Well written. Problem is the industry purposefully makes these movies because that's what people want to see. The audience and the industry are both to blame.

• I feel you're missing the point here. "Wonder Woman" was directed by a woman AND is a great film. "Black Panther" had a predominantly African-American crew and cast AND is a great film.

They were not elevated to that status just because they represent minorities or because they fill the quota of politically correct films for an Award.

Now that we got that out of the way, what we need is to make sure women, African-American and other minorities have the same opportunities and access so they can do great work they most surely are capable of.

And this is, in my opinion, inspiring. We should celebrate that because those are small victories towards equality. Equality means that everyone has a level playing field. It does not mean that women or African-American or any minority professionals are going to get ahead because of how they were born.

• There is social and racial prejudices in many films and television shows. It has been that way for years.

• Everyone looks at equality the wrong way. Forcing a particular demographic to achieve a particular thing, especially if to collectively shame another demographic, breeds sociopath and reverse-bigotry.

Just look at SJW Ms. Marvel... it's repugnant and makes the heroes as selfish and morally devoid of compass as the villains! And wants you to praise Kamala simply for being a non white female, rather than for having a single clue or any competence at her job!(Which she has none.)

Organic diversity is better. It's best when no one notices it, because they have an actual story to follow instead. Miles Morales was pure pander when dirt introduced. Now days, he's grown to be a respected canon character. Riri Williams, however, is bad writing incarnate.

• I partially agree with you. BUT sometimes we praise based on race just to encourage certain community.

Take black people for example and imagine you're one of them. So if you look out for role models from your race, you'll see all those big rappers starting from Notorious B. I. G to Kendrick Lamar. And what do they rap about? Raping women, using drugs etc. Well other people see it as "easy path" and it is true. It will also imply that "black people cannot make good movies" since there are no good black movies or they're very rare.

At the same time, if we praise a movie for being black, it'll encourage and inspire other black people because it'll make them think "We can do it too" because he did it after overcoming situations like us

• This is one of the reasons I avoid watching Hollywood movies.

• It's ALL "Bullshit/ HYPOCRITICAL".

Even in Wonder woman, they made her so Dumb that she couldn't understand what (chris Pine's? character) was saying... even though she was suppose to be this more evolved/higher being.

And ALL the "Black shows" are a FK'ing joke. They call the Oscars racist... when 99% of the actors in their movies are black... EVEN a Ghetto movie like (boys in the hood) would have half NON-Blacks... if it was REAL.

Another example is the BET awards... which are the most racist concept since the KKK and the NAZI.

• I completely agree. People are so bias towards everything they ignore the fundamentals. It's results that matters, not the packaging.

However, if I could sell my shit grade movies because I hire black women then I probably do that and hire a PR spin doctor to promote it on Facebook and a Russian mob to bash all the critics as crazy homophobic retards.

Probably buy myself an Oscar by bombarding the judges with gender and equality messages or something.

Yes. That's right. People forget these are FOR PROFIT projects. They need to make money. Equality and all that jazz are for PR purposes to sell their stuff.

Did you know that industries spend more money in showing people that they support women than actually supporting women?

• there's a whole lot of reading in here but I will say I like Wonder Woman

• men should be allowed to be men, and women allowed to be women.

• Wonder Woman was a decent movie, but not Oscar worthy because it didn't make sense.

• Dude it was great up until they did that "Ares" thing at the end.

The ending was like 20 minutes too long.

• @RolandCuthbert those were just a couple examples, and the thing that bothered me most is that I couldn't tell whether it was WW2 or WW1.

• Oh yeah, that was another problem. It was supposed to be WWI, but they kept going for the Nazi look.

Haha!

:D

• Nice Take, girl. I really appreciate that. ✌

• More from Guys
    12

What Girls Said 9

• I agree with this article.
    In EVERY way, shape and form.

I'm sick of seeing backhanded racist, sexist, etc-ist compliments, too...

You should post this... Everywhere.

• I've shared it will the people I can. If you want you can share it too... (yes that is a slight guilty self promotion XD i admit it)

• I want to go count how many of the comments say "that was a good take from a woman" 😆

• Its ironic I know. But they obviously don't mean it in a bad way lol. So im fine with it lol

• When a minority person or woman do a creative work, their experiences as minority or woman do reflect in it. Which are different than experiences of a person who falls into majority.

So you have to consider it while appriciate get someone's work- where they came from and all that.

That being said there are definitely exceptions like for ex. And Indian person in USA directs a superhero movie which have nothing to do with the fact that he's Indian, then in that case , factor of "his life experiences" and hence he being a minority are less relevant.

• I do agree to an extent but I don't think it is quite so deterministic. Does a Theoretical Physicist need to experience a black hole to understand it? Not necessarily. So too it is possible for someone to understand another persons experience. Does a millionaire understand the experience of a worker class person? Possible, but unlikely.

I actually liked the Wonder Woman movie a bit more than I do with typical Hollywood portrayals of female characters (same with Riddley from Alien vs. Predator) because they weren't 2 dimensional Mary Sue's, they were characters with clear character development arc, someone whose experiences you could relate to, perfect imperfection if you will (faulty, but not beyond redeemable). For a long time that has bothered my about Hollywood characters because they are not portrayed in the same way that makes a good character development and writing which is what I care about.

• "People will say there is already tons of good movies made by white people. No... There's already tons of good movies made by people... And this movie made by a black person or woman is another one of them." I feel like stating the obvious here or there isn't hurting anyone especially if the praise is due. There haven't been a lot of movies made by non white men, let alone movies with a big budget and/or that capture the country's attention.
    Praise is good, it could inspire someone else of that group that they can do it too, despite how few of their ethnic group, sex, etc have done it before.

• Nice take :)

• If u can do it.

• Thank you.

• Interesting

• I liked all of the movies above, I don't think they did any kind of damage to gender equality. Lgbt people are not a separate gender, they are not a part of the gender equality problem.
    The main problem is the conflict between gender extremists, like the mgtow (who pretend to be "egalitarians") and femi-nazis (who pretend to be "feminists").

• I wasn't saying any of those movies were bad or damaging... My issue was with treating a movie like a Masterpiece or incredible because the director is black or a woman. It usually will be praised more. They were both decent movies. In my opinion none were masterpieces. Just good movies. My point has nothing to do with the movies and more to do with praising them for wrong reasons

• I see, ok, then we agree :) 👍