When should you ever admit depression in the real world?

I went to the dentist (and my jaw felt like it was almost teared off) and he ask me if I had depression. I don't know why unrelated doctors to the brain and mind would ask about mental illness, I suppose maybe due to ethics and code of practices they would have to treat their patients differently or if they are taking medication.
I never admitted to anyone and no-one noticed because I'm the rock in the family and that is their quote not mine.
Its not just in hospitals but also university and other workplaces. I wonder when would it be really important to admit it to professionals? and I wouldn't to say it to general people. It sometimes worry me that maybe the serotonin levels will skyrocket if they do a procedure (I'm just kidding). But was there a time when you needed to confess or have you kept it secret? Or did you have the bravery of saying it and how did it go?
4
0