Why is our generation so preoccupied with being in contact with each other 24/7?

I told my psychologist that this is why I think I don't have a lot of friends. I don't see the need to text, call, Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram, etc. my friends every few hours. Hell, even every few days. I'm perfectly fine with having my own space and life and checking in with my friends from time-to-time and to make time to SEE EACH OTHER IN PERSON. I don't see the hype between being in contact 24/7. I think a lot of people think I'm weird and standoffish because of this. I just don't see the point. I'm a loner and very self-sufficient, so it is not that I don't care, I just stick to myself and don't require constant attention because I have school and work to tend to. Any idea why most people can't function without talking to someone all the time?
6
1