How do you know to try to fix things with someone you hurt , or walk away bc they are being impossible?

I accidentally hurt a guy in the past. When we dated. I say accidentally bc I meant no harm and it was just bc I was oblivious to his experience and not ready to be a gf.
I never meant to hurt him and I always liked him. I was just dealing with a lot of trauma in my life I guess I had no space for anyone. And it was private so I didn't want to discuss it.

I never explained anything to him. bc I'm not good with words when it comes to personal matters.

However that was a year ago. And over the past few months, I think I've been making a clear point of trying to treat him better and make up for what happened through actions.

But he seems to still be angry if be angry over something new. In getting tired of his mood swings.

I feel bad walking away when i never even explained things but his behavior is disrespectful and in just tired when I think if trying to have a real talk with him.

I'm not currently talking to him so outwardly it could look as if I've moved on but inwardly I still think im being unfair as he never had a Chance to understand the situation and fix his behavior and he could be acting out bc he's hurt.

I know people say you should try depending on how much you care but that's a bit too ambiguous for me. I need a more definitive reason to push past my pride.

Now I think one way to look at is yes I'd have to humble myself a bit to explain things but then I'll know I did the right thing. And if his behavior doesn't improve I can move in knowing I did what I could..

And MAYBE all he needed was an explanation and some recognition of what happened and he'll actually act normal again.

What do you think?
1
1