Why do people try to categorize and label themselves? Is having an identity really that important? What for? It changes nothing! Isn't it unneeded?

People try to categorize themselves all the time. I'm submissive, dominant, feminine, masculine, honest, reliable, dishonest, lazy, energetic, charismatic, anxious, generous, stingy, blah blah blah blah.

These words are completely unnecessary! They are only a description of what you claim to be a "general" term for your "overall" behavior, but there isn't even such a thing. ALL behavior and ALL motivation depends on the CONTEXT that triggers the event, and who you are interacting with, how you feel at that given moment, how much time do you have, etc etc.

And "feminine", "masculine"… they don't even mean any specific thing. You can claim anything to be masculine or feminine, you'd probably not be wrong. Because these mean absolutely nothing of value.

Yet, some people identify as "women" not because they are adult human biological females, but because they "exhibit feminine traits". Like, what?

Female is well defined. Woman is well defined. Femininity is NOT well defined, AND depends on context.

If you want an identity, then at least use terms that are VALID descriptions, and don't depend on context. For example, " I often give to charity ". You can still be stingy about other things, this really doesn't mandate anything about your previous or future behavior. These terms mean nothing of value.

So why do people try to bother using these general descriptive terms to create an arbitrary set of characteristics which don't even necessarily apply except for some random events when the context actually allows it? Identities are a waste of time. My behavior greatly depends on whom I interact with, and that is the case for everyone else. Technically, identities are just self-deception and stereotyping oneself and others.

Meaningless. Whether you identify a certain way or not, that will never change what you actually are, and what you are actually like, and how you behave in given contexts.

What do you think? Are identities useful for anything?
+1 y
Well, I honestly wonder if anyone will bother with reading any of this, lol.
2
5