About how old were you when your parents told you to not date outside your race?

Of course I know this doesn't apply to everyone. But you'd be surprised how many people I've met in my lifetime that have told me they weren't allowed to pursue a romantic relationship outside their race.
I'm one of those people out there that this doesn't apply to due to the fact that my family is very blended, so I've always been a little shocked that people still think "that way".
A friend of mine said that he didn't even bother asking out this one girl he really liked because she just so happened to be black and that his parents would've disowned him.
My former college roommate told me her parents actually told her to never bring a non-Mexican man home. She said her parents we're very strict about that.

These are just a few examples. I'm just curious as to how a parent would even tell their kid that. Especially since we're always taught from preschool that we're all equal. At what age does "we're all equal" start to change?
28
26