"Don't dip your pen in the company ink." Opinions?

One thing my father always taught me is that you should never date co-workers or clients or patients. Basically, you should never try to date someone you met through work or use your job as a way of meeting men/women because you could be jeopardizing your livelihood. What's your opinion on the matter? Is it as risky as he makes it out to be? Is it ever worth the risk? Would you do it?
I'll be pleasantly surprised here if I'm proven wrong but my theory on this is that I expect to see men standing on one side of the fence and women on another, for the most part.

32

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on a lot of variables.

1. Will you look unprofessional or will it damage your reputation?

2. Is this a career building job for you or is it a part-time job while you are in college or trying to figure out what you want.

3. Are you dating a co-worker or your boss/subordinate?

4. How likely is it that you would have to run in to this person on a daily basis if you two have a nasty break-up or things just don't work out?

5. Are both of you single or is one or both actually attached to someone else?

Overall, the easy answer is "Don't date a co-worker". But I would say young people in a job that is not part of their career path, can and do date co-workers (not bosses or subordinates) and it can be a great way of meeting someone. For older people it can be a disaster if they are not using good judgment. That's when you read about posts on here where people are dating when they are still married or in a relationship, or dating their boss, or just looking for a casual fling.