Is it a good idea to allow teachers to carry Guns in school? If yes then why and why not?

• Good idea
  • Bad idea
  • Other/Results
    Vote C
Select a gender to cast your vote:
No Anons please
Thanks everyone for answering! I need to select MHO and I'm confused about it... Can you vote for it?
Conditions :1) You can only vote for two opinions, a guy and a girl
2) You can send me private message if you wish to hide your identity.
3) You can not vote for yourself.
4) You can vote only if you've shared a opinion about topic.
5) Just mention @username to vote
Two opinions with highest votes will receive MHO. thanks for your help :)

1434

What Girls Said 14

• Bad haha.

I'm a teacher and I'm telling you that is an AWFUL idea. Teachers can't even keep track of their phones, let alone a damn gun. Do you have any clue how often things are stolen from teachers by students and they never notice?

No. No. No. Please. No. God. Jesus. LORDT!

• Some school districts are better than others at making sure they don't hire complete idiots to be teachers. If the safety of students is such an impossible concept to grasp, that the teacher can't be trusted with it, then it may be time to re-assess the hiring qualifications.

If they are so incompetent per the definition in the Constitution that their gun safety comprehension is an F- grade, then how many other areas are they deficient in?

Just one more way the entire system is broken.

• There was a kindergartner in my district that actually stabbed another one in the face with a pen and that kid had to get plastic surgery.

And it doesn't have to be gang related. Kids accidentally shoot one another all the time. Plus parents are crazy. I had a parent of one of my students come in and try to fight a student in another teachers class because her daughter didn't like her. The teacher opened the door and when she walked in, her daughter stood up and they tried to fight this one girl in the middle of his class.

Oh and there was a gang riot in my school a couple years back and one of the kids had a taser. And in another riot the year before that, our principal had his leg ran over by a car.

And you can't kick the kid, not bastard, because that's how you get fired.

You must live under a rock if you really believe all that nonsense you just spewed out.

• Also, for your information, most school gun carry policies are only applicable to middle childhood schools and up so there most likely would not be a kindergarten teacher walking around with a gun anyway.

• We had one mass shooting in Australia and tighter gun laws were introduced.
    We haven't had any more problems.
    What happened at Sandy hook primary school deeply saddened me.

• No, teaching is a hard enough job without forcing them to basically be cops too. If a school feels they need more security, they can hire separate security people or make a deal to have a cop at the school.

• I agree with that, schools should have separate security personnel.

• @samhradh_leannan "But that'll scare the children" Is one thing I've heard. Basically some people want guns eradicated from the Earth... except of course when THEY need protection. "Thats thats thats different!"

• @demonics I don't know what "that's that's that's different" is supposed to mean... This is not about general gun rights though. Allowing/requiring teachers to carry guns in school is different. Could it potentially be frightening to students to see security guards around the school? Maybe. But if they're used to it and they understand that the guards are there to protect them, then I don't see why it would be too much of an issue.

• It's a bad idea. I'm being deadass. People have their breaking points and may be impulsive. What sounds way better is allowing there to be police throughout the school who have passed extensive training, both physical, emotional, and psychological. Some teachers aren't fit to have a gun.

• Good idea.

• I'm all for concealed carry and allowing people to carry guns basically anywhere. So yes if a teacher is responsible enough to be around your child ALL DAY LONG for almost a year then you should be able to trust them with a gun if they choose.

• Bad idea.

Only in very extreme cases when they think the school is in a high risk but they can't really close the school for public exam candidates. It would be good if they rather have more security guards but if they can't, they have to make sure the teachers are physically and mentally capable of owning and using a gun. Again, this is for the very extreme case.

• If those teachers pass extensive background checks and psychological testing to determine their temperament, and the gun will be kept in a locked safe that will alert authorities when it is opened, then I think it could potentially be a good idea. But we can't just hand out guns to every teacher.

• Oh my God! The bears! The bears!

• Very bad ideas when I think of my teacher I'm sure at least 5 of them would have shoot a student.

• Bad idea

• Good to shoot the bears with.

• Bwah hah ha. I'm anon.

• bad idea

What Guys Said 34

• let's see teachers carrying weapons in schools.
    no chance a kid gets their hands on that right?
    are teachers trained in de-escalating situations?
    non-lethal shooting?
    do all teachers have clear mental health backgrounds?

answers:
    of course
    no
    no
    and no

oh and meanwhile we have teachers acting inappropriately with students, teachers accused of abusing students so arming these people just seems like a horrific idea. teachers are meant to teach not play security guard as well

• I'm skeptical to this and thinks it's a bad idea. It doesn't improve the safety because it's possible for the students to steal the teacher's gun (Example if they're potential school shooters) and it's also a possibility the teacher is a person who plans to shoot people with it. It may exist some potential terrorists and school shooters among teachers too. Getting the teacher's health background won't be solid proof the teacher can carry a gun since some may be not diagnosed yet, but other doesn't need to have a diagnose to have intentions like this.

I'm glad this isn't an issue where I lives. The general population here isn't allowed to have guns and there's very strict rules to have any. There's so few people here having guns that the police doesn't always need to carry them.

• What happens when a teacher loses his shit and decides to shoot people though? You'd need to arm the students too if you're going to arm the teachers. Everyone in schools should have guns. Well behaved pupils should be allowed to have hand grenades. The school bus should be an apache helicopter.

Everyone should have guns. Nuns should have guns. Nuns might need to shoot people too.

AMERICUH, FUCK YEAH!!

• Only if the teachers are also qualified to use that gun and certified in gun safety. Just allowing teachers to bring guns to school is a bad idea. It should be in the job description that if you choose to bring a gun to school you must follow x, y, z guidelines. As long as they follow those rules I don't see a logical reason why not. The biggest concern people have against it is that the teacher (or most people in general) are unqualified to use the gun or will freak out under stress and discharge the gun, when they don't have to do so. Training takes away that issue away and would have saved a lot of lives in school shootings past.

I think back to Virginia Tech and think if there were multiple qualified people with guns there would not have been anywhere near the damage done that day. The shooter killed people executioner style and they followed his orders to die. Had there been guns around that wouldn't have happened. Would other people of been shot in the fire fight? Possibly, but would there be as many dead? Probably not.

• If trained properly, it would be a good idea. It's harder to shoot at someone who is shooting back at you.

• Yeah if the teacher is responsible with their firearm then yes it is, I mean it's a people problem not a gun problem. Kids back in the 70s, 80s and before used to have hunting rifles and shotguns in their trucks and cars for when they went hunting after school and no one ever got shot.

Besides just look at what happened to all those schools in you gun free zones, kids died, teachers died, some of those schools had security and all of it failed and there was nothing you did to stop it.

• http://i.imgur.com/GArQrtB.jpg

Let me tell you what is a good idea...

It is a good idea to entrust the education of your children to people YOU KNOW AND TRUST so well, that you wouldn't even think twice about them carrying a gun or a bazooka or a battleship, because you KNOW and TRUST that person to protect your child, not endanger your child.

It is a good idea not to give your kid up to complete and total strangers that you wouldn't trust to get your order right at McDonald's, and then spend all your time wondering whether they have a gun and what they might possibly use it for one day.

So, in other words, "the problem" is not the problem. The problem is that you're not willing to see the obvious solution. Because you might have to think and it could require effort.

You might have to be PERSONALLY BOTHERED by your own child's education, you might have to make an actual SACRIFICE, for God's sake! Instead of just going through the motions, sending your kids to school because that's what everybody does, buying school supplies every March, because that's what everybody does, attend two conferences a year, because that's what everybody does...

• If there's a school shooter the teacher can almost instantly stop it if in immediate danger. Honestly for defense I think teachers should actually carry a tazer. It's a way better alternative that can still be used to protect a classroom.

• Because the chances of a teacher being rushed and disarmed by bad students are quite high. It takes several seconds to unholster a side arm and to be in a position to use it. Easily enough time to be overwhelmed my his or her attackers. Now you have a kid with a gun.

• They'd have nobody left to teach by the end of the day. If I were a teacher I'd have blown me away after the first 10 minutes

• They can shoot the little bastards when they act up. Darwinism at its finest.

• Great idea, and then you can sell guns to all the kids so they can defend themselves against rogue teachers. No surprise this is a Republican idea.

• If the teacher knows how to handle a gun responsibly and keeps it concealed, i don't see why it would be a problem.
    I mean I don't think it's really necessary, but it wouldn't be a bad thing.

• They should allow the students to have them as well and have a gun shooting class so that you can have a civilian military.

• Only if said teacher has a permit. I'd rather just have armed security guards, but this is much cheaper.

• Yes... until some teacher loses his shit and shoots someone... or thinks he saw a "threatening black man" and shoots him... And who's gonna pay for all those guns and the training?

• I feel like a teacher would snap at a student and eventually kill a kid

• Not much faith in your fellow human huh?

• Well... I guess that would be true!

• @demonics

LOL! 3. You'd never have a problem with a child in that school for the next 50 years.

X-)

• Only if there are many bears near the school and if teachers get a full firearms training.

• Not at all... teachers are not trained for firearms nor are they capable of handling that type of situation... in addition kids don't need to be walking on ice just because the professor can lose a nut one day and come in blasting everyone lol

nope

• Bad idea. Teachers are there to teach, not play body guard.

• Anything liberals are against is a great idea.

• No. Did you know that carrying around a gun increase the person's chances of dying and the people around him chances.

• I'm a teacher and we can't be trusted with firearms either (some of us might shoot the students).

• I think it is an okay idea, they should be allowed to protect themselves and their students

• Yes every teacher and every student should have a gun on them at all times

• Which age limit should it be then? There's several types of school. We've elementary school, middle-school, high school and college.

• In some US schools there's metal detectors and similar security system like the airport. So there's an alternative way to keep the security and if everyone gets a gun, it's more likely there would be more shooting accidents etc.

• @curiousnorway if the guards at the metal detectors are armed then maybe but if they're not armed the shooter could just kill them and then go on a rampage

• ONLY IF THEY ARE PROPERLY TRAINED ON HOW TO USE ONE

• Instead of training teachers to handle weapons, why not just make sure there's a trained officer or police presence in the school or near the school. Giving a teacher have a weapon in a classroom can be a point of contention and teachers shouldn't be feared.

• Also, training/arming every teacher would be way more money than just having an officer in the school

• bad... they should have trained guards that know how to handle a gun not teachers

• I don't see any inconvenients as long as the teachers are proprly trained and mentally stable.

• it is less that is more not the other way around.

• More from Guys
    4