How many discussions regarding politics have successfully changed your views?

Like how many times have you gotten into a discussion or debate with someone of opposing political views, and they provided sufficient evidence to change your views?

Note to mods: I'm putting this to "other" instead of "society and politics" because I want to get a more representative sample.

• none because i don't have political conversations
  • none because although i have political conversations, i'm adamant about my views
  • once or twice, i've been influenced to change my views
    Vote C
  • 3-5 times
    Vote D
  • 6-9 times
    Vote E
  • 10-20 times
    Vote F
  • more than 20 times
    Vote G

918

Most Helpful Guy

• Two times that I can recall.

One was gay marriage. I used to be against it's legalization and am now for it. Oddly enough because of debates I had on GaG. There were several people I talked to about it and I reassessed where I stood. It forced me to look at why I believed what I did. On that one the only real reasons I had were mostly tradition of marriage, my upbringing, my parents views on it and associating marriage with biology.
    Like I still don't feel as if gay marriage is a good thing for society, but I do feel like it should be legal and I didn't before.

Second view I had that I have since changed is marijuana legalization. Used to be against it and am now for it as of 2013, after a couple debates I had with people. Although my only thing now in regards to weed is that I feel it should be connected to the Welfare state issue. I think we need to get rid of welfare first. Though realistically I don't see that happening. Not before weed legalization. That view has more to do with my personal experience. Back in college I worked at a 7-11 for 2 years straight. I watched people trade buying groceries for someone else for cash they could use to buy alcohol and lottery tickets. Which is against the law, because that's not what welfare is for. The current welfare system is easily abused as it is and will certainly be used just as easily to buy drugs. Now marijuana is a softer choice obviously, but none the less the system abuse will happen more. I don't like knowing my tax dollars are regularly going to booze, lottery and soon to be drugs for people that will continue to draw welfare for years to come, because why would they stop?

But yea, there may be more but those two are the ones that come to mind immediately. I've actually taken a lot of time to think about my views and why I have them either by sitting down and thinking about it or after debates where I was forced to do so.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have changed my views when someone has made an argument that really made sense to me. But all too often, political views are very opinion based. Most of the time someone who disagrees with you is basing their views on something that you think is totally bogus.

What Guys Said 17

• I didn't vote. It's rare that a person says anything valid. However I usually take what people say and do my own research and I end up learning new shit. I have become basically a "centrist." I used to be more left. Though I haven't relinquished any of my left views, I now see that there's good stuff on the right and that left and right isn't all there is. I've learned there is a shit ton of extreme depth to just about every area of politics you can imagine and that the overwhelming majority of people choose their beliefs, and they stop learning the instant they find the answer they wanted. I rarely debate with anyone anymore because to me it's a waste of time. Instead I'll just go to whatever forum or chat or w/e and ask questions, get people's crazy and retarded views, research them myself, and come out of it having learned a lot. But if I don't talk to people and I don't ask questions I don't get pointed to all these different things so unfortunately I stil have to do it lol.

• I'm pretty malleable to logic & reason when presented with a civil argument. I think people who never change their minds in dialogue are a bunch of pussies who don't want to admit they're wrong sometimes. I've had people use statistics & present facts I was unaware of which has actively changed my mind & i've admitted 'I was wrong about that' at some of those times.

• When my views change, it's usually through reading and consideration, rather than other people's arguments.

It's probably happened on a few occasions, but not regularly.

• I've never had a discussion that straight up changed my mind.

I've had opinions and views shift over time, due to significant amounts of reading, listening, discussing and thinking about things.

• It wasn't discussions really.

A while ago I was pretty left (nearly Communist level if not AT that)

Then something clicked and I flipped to centre-right just like that

I have no idea how it happened, maybe I was always a conservative I just never knew it

• Most people don't change their mind. If you're lucky, the best you'll get is a political discussion where the other person doesn't insult or talk down to you.

• my views are constantly challanged by politics and political discussions. every time i thought people can´t get even more dumb, they prove me wrong in the most cruel ways.

• i discuss politics a lot but the opposing views never seem to have a decent argument to counter mine, it always seems to be emotion over fact or misconstrued cherry picked stats over facts with context.

• A few times certainly. I used to lean hard right, but now i am more libertarian if anything. A decision influenced by both parties. But to be apart of something i employ reason. And this is it.

• Not really through discussions, but sometimes through reading. It's a gradual process though and my core values haven't changed much over the years.

• If someone prooves me, using actual proofs, that I'm wrong, I will certainly change my view. Not changing it would be stupid denial.

• It's happened, before. It was more back when I was pretending to know politics, but now that I'm into it my ideas are slowly becoming more sealed, but everyone deserves to be listened to

• I don't get involved with politics cause one politician is more
    crooked than the other one. They say all the good things they
    will do for us and all it is one lie after a another.

• My political views are based on emotionless science and facts, so it's hard to sway me differently.

• A few times I never kept track.

• Don't be fickle, but don't be stubborn.

• A few times I have I'm not sure the exact number though

What Girls Said 8

• I used to be super conservative but I had some really good friends who were really patient and helped me become more educated on many topics

• "B" is Best from the Rest. xx

• I'm open minded, but my answer is "none". Why? Because no one ever seems to give any data that supports their position.

• Over time some of my beliefs have changed, but I only changed once because someone was discussing it with me. I was neutral on the subject they were convincing me of and they were so charismatic and persuasive!

• None I have politcal conversation but they never been able to change or influence it.

• It happens almost daily

• ew politics

• none