She's not showing any signs so should I still approach her?

There's a girl in my class and I've been trying to work up the confidence to talk to her and maybe joke around a bit and eventually ask her out. The problem is, she's shown absolutely no signs of interest during my brief interactions with her. She doesn't really register that I'm there when I'm around and the couple times she spoke to me, it was more professional, like student to student, like "Am I in your way? You can stand here if you want." and other neutral stuff. She's the studious type who's serious about her schoolwork and studies, but she really shows no interest.

The thing is, I had problems with the last girl I liked in not recognizing signs, so I'm thinking that maybe I shouldn't do anything since I recognize the signs now; but then I keep telling myself that maybe she won't KNOW she likes me unless I talk to her/joke around with her... I'm not sure how to approach this or if I should just give up.
2
1