Should females get free tampons and pads?

I can see both the pros and cons:

Pro.
- Only one of the sexes gets periods and therefor it wouldn't be fair between the sexes if they've to pay for it
- Females don't choose to get the period

Cons.
- Food, medications etc. is human needs and not everybody can get free supply; things they needs to survive. It's also a necessarily like tampons and pads.
- It would be expensive and is tax payers supposed to pay it?
Should females get free tampons and pads?#Period #FreePadsAndTampons #PadsTampons

• Yes (Explain why, please)
  • No (Explain why, please)
Select a gender to cast your vote:

88101

What Girls Said 88

• Would those absorbent items be of high quality? Would there be a variety of brands to choose from? If the answers are no, then I think those goods shouldn't be free.

I think part of the reason why pads, tampons, and menstrual cups aren't free is because of production costs that make each product distinct in the market. Would offering them for free mean that women would get to be confined in using a single feature that would probably not meet some women's standards and necessities?

I think that system would be easily exploited. To counter this, people who offer products free of charge often give products of substandard quality so that it would seem like nothing intrinsic is really lost. It's a lose-lose situation wherein women who use the substandard pads/tampons would not experience products of optimum service and the producers of those absorbent products would have to keep producing and disseminating goods with barely any financial returns.

• 4d

You are 17 and you understand capitalism? BRAVO! You will go far in this world.

• 3d

solution is simple the state could pay the fabric 🤔

• 3d

@Loon309 "You honestly think these big ass brands are still gonna be spending their money to make and distribute quality product if they're not getting any pay benefit from it?"

^^ Well, presuming the government would be footing the bill...
      Y'know, government subsidies can be pretty damn lucrative — especially if /1/ the contractor has no qualms about fleecing the public treasury, AND /2/ the civil servants approving the budgets just rubber-stamp everything without scrutiny, because, hey, it ain't **their** money (... except it actually IS, but, people don't personalize a 1/38,500,000 share of state tax revenue like they personalize the cash in their wallet).

They'd probably still make a shitty, maximally-cost-cutting product — since, after all, "consumers" would have zero ability to switch brands in protest — but, no waaayyyy would they "cease to exist" if the government gravy train is running.

• No.
    No necessity is free, it's just part of life that you need to purchase it and there are varying levels of brand and quality to help cover a range of economic living situations, including reusable products. Toilet paper isn't free, electricity isn't free, hell - water isn't even free.
    A complete waste of resources to have feminine hygiene subsidised by anyone when there are homeless and starving people out there.

• 4d

Should homeless get free tampons, pads, food etc? Just asks because I'm curios and since you mentioned them.

• 3d

Your logic is simple to the point I like it. I just stop trying to use that argument that you just made because since I am a guy most girls would just start accusing me of being a sexist.

• 3d

@gianna80 also technically a lot of establishments only let their customers use toilets, so if you're a paying customer you're technically paying for the toilet paper too. As for establishments that don't use this rule, they're still expecting that the majority of people using their toilets are people who are paying customers - or potential paying customers. Toilets are also beneficial in the long run for malls and similar establishments because they increase positive customer experiences. Wouldn't want to go to a mall that didn't have a toilet. So not only do you sometimes have to pay to use the toilet, but in general it's also beneficial in many ways for the establishment to have one.

• I don't know why this is suddenly a hot topic. Buy your own stuff. When you're sick, you buy cough syrup. When you want to have sex, you buy condoms. We buy laundry detergent. Vitamins. All sorts of things. Why are pads special? Nothing is free, and why should the government (which is you) pay for everyone's pads, including your own? You want to lobby against the luxury tax, fine. It probably isn't worth the resources, but whatever. However, this nonsense that buying pads is somehow a punishment or unjustly burdening women needs to stop. There are real problems out there. Some girls don't even have access to pass. People die everyday for contaminated water. And we're bent out of shape because of pads. This is such a first world complaint.

• 3d

I have so much severe appreciation for your brain right now. Thank you so much for not being another horrible third wave feminist.

• 3d

Aww. Thanks. 😉

• Guys have to eat more, so are women going to have to subsidize men's food costs so that can be equal?

I say, how bout we all quit worrying about petty shit and focus on making ourselves better more productive individuals and then the world will be a better place. Someone else paying ridiculously small sums of money to cover the cost of my pads is a stupid waste of time.

• It would be nice, just as men might wish for free items in order to shave - especially when a job requires them to be clean-shaven.

There used to be a time in life when there weren't disposal pads, just like there were cloth diapers - so what did we do? :) There is information online about how to make homemade, reusable sanitary pads. I know it sounds awful having to clean them, but if one is willing, it could save thousands of dollars over her lifetime.

If cost is an issue, DIY is an option, which is why I think that they should not necessarily be free.

• It's very situational. There were times in Jr. High that I couldn't afford the dime the school nurse charged for pads - my family was well off, but I was not allowed to have more than just the tiniest amount of pocket money. In situations where women are very young or at an extreme economic disadvantage I can see the benefits. In countries where such products are prohibitively expensive and not having them means girls have to stay home from school, I can see the benefits.

As a very poor American now (none of that family money has made it to me), I still manage to obtain these products without much problem as needed. But I'm also not deciding whether that $10 has to cover a big box of generic brand pads or food for my kids either.

There are many NGOs worldwide who are trying to get appropriate feminine products into the hands of the women who can't afford them.

I personally think those who benefit from keeping people in poverty, and away from resources, should pay for the poor to have such things.

• No. That's dumb. It takes money to make those things. If you make them free, who's paying for this? You want them to take money out of the already abysmal education fund or shit like that and put it towards free menstrual products that only benefit one portion of society? Because i fckn promise you, they're not taking it out of the senators' salaries.

• 4d

I'd rather have free toilet paper than free tampons and pads.

And also, a package of pads cost about as much as a fucking Frappuccino at Starbucks or a smaller cup of whatever bullshit coffee you get at a shitty hipster vegan coffee espresso bar hell hole. People want to support things like shitty coffee shops and pay 7$ for a shitty cup of nonrefillable coffee, but then they want the government to buy them shit they don't need but would like to have? That's why i don't take it seriously. I don't take any of this seriously because when you've seen people on welfare buying Doritos prime ribs and shit, it kind of numbs you inside. Like, i shouldn't have gone to college. I should've just moved out to the hood and gone on welfare. Shit.

• Honestly: NO, but not for the reason of sexism or equality. Our bodies are natural, animalistic things that are the product of millions of years of evolution. Our bodies naturally produce all kinds of weird, slimy things we have to take care of. Today, we live in a civilized society where its appropriate to blow your nose and wipe your ass and brush your teeth. Should tissues, toilet paper and toothbrushes be free? No. Should they be available for people who need them, but can't afford them? Absolutely. We end up paying for period products not because we are female... but because it is socially inappropriate to have blood running down your leg. This is exactly the same as toothpaste and soap. Its socially inappropriate to skip the showers entirely and let your teeth grow foul smelling fuzz. Men have a chafing problem that women never have... but you never see medicated powders talked about like tampons and pads. The money we spend on these products are not an example of sexism or unequal expectations. Its just an example of our civilized society having to compromise with our evolved, raw, bleeding, pooping, sweating natural human body.

• 3d

The thing is, women do need all the things men do (toothpaste, toilet paper, shampoo, toilet paper) but men don't need period pads.

What do you mean with chafing problem? Balls rubbing against the legs or anything like that?
      Never heard a single man say that he was sore because of that.
      So I don't think this is quite comparable, as basically ever women got periods, while that chafing problem is then "just" a medical condition like every other too.
      And if you talk about gender specific medical problems, women are worse off. Bladder infections and all that.

Don't get me wrong. I do understand your opinion. Just try to explain while acknowledging all of your (valid) points, you can still be in favor of free period products.

• 3d

@MarcoIsAFailure, you've good points.

• In first world countries I really do not see why it is a issue to buy pads and tampons. I mean really. You do not have a few dollars to scrape together each month for a pad or tampon but you can afford a Starbucks coffee all the time with a iPhone and macBook? I never got that logic. People living in POVERTY can get their pads/tampons for free. That is understandable. Like people in my country SA who live in informal settlements with no running water or electricity who has to use portable toilets and have to eat porridge the whole day as it is the only food they can buy.

I find people in first world countries really do not understand how privileged they are and then they still complain about having to spend a few dollars on sanitary items. I would love for them to visit countries like mine and to see how some people have to live.

I am sorry that I am coming across as ranty and angry but to see day to day what Americans for example complain about vs what I have to see every day.. i just do not understand it. You come from the worlds richest country but still moan about having to buy a tampon... :/

• 3d

Which country do you live in? I lives in Norway and we Norwegian have no reasons to complain. I started this discussion for fun. But some Americans have reasons to not be happy despite the fact the US is a first world country. It exists homelessness there and they've not the same welfare system like in my country. Homeless people in the US is homeless for different reasons than these in my country.

• 3d

I'm from South Africa. The problem is that there is lots of resources in USA available FOR homeless people as their country is rich, with a very good economy. Countries like mine, who are poor, can not afford the amount of resources a country like USA offers or has. Sure, there is problems with homelessness but surely not everyone complaining about the pads tampons money issue is homeless. IF a homeless person was to demand or ask for free tampons or pads I could understand it. But if you are actually privileged enough to live in a home with running water, electricity, food and a Iphone in your pocket, I do not buy that you cannot afford a tampon or pad and feel like you are suddenly set back by a few dollars each month.

• No for many reasons. 1. Nothing is free and someone will have to pay for it. Why would I want to place that responsibility on anyone but myself? I thought we were SUPPOSED to be strong independent woman after all.
    2. Once you require someone to provide something than you start giving them rights to dictate how something is provided and exactly the "service" is thats being provided. Usually this isn't a win for anyone.
    3. Its a veryyyyy rare case that someone can't afford tampons. People talk about this extreme level of poverty where people have to choose between formula for their baby or a tampon and I just really don't believe thats a common as some like to act.

• Just because they are free doesn't mean they are good. I'd much rather pay for high quality products.

• No. Considering the high quantities of pads and tampons women use, I don't think they should be free. And technically if they were free for women, they wouldn't be free for *someone*. Someone still has to produce these things, they don't just magically appear out of thin air. Just like we all still need to pay for toilet paper, soap, toothbrushes and deodorant. I mean, none of us chose to shit/pee, get our hands dirty or to have cavities, yet we all still have to pay for these things.

If money is such a huge issue to women who don't want to pay for pads or tampons, I would advise them to buy a period cup instead. It can be used for up to 12h if you don't have an abnormally heavy flow (and even then up to 6h I think), and if you take well care of your cup (wash it every day and boil it before and after every period) you can use it for more than 10 years. That's a single investment of a few bucks, none of the waste of pads and tampons, and the convenience of not having to empty it as often as you need to change a pad or a tampon.

• No, if one item becomes free then other people are going to get upset and start demanding things they want for free too regardless if they need it or not. And I'm sure people/companies who make tampons/condoms/birth control wouldn't be happy about making these items that give them no paycheck. They would all just quit and tell women and men to keep and their pants and that women should go back to the days of using rags. After all that's what women back in the day did anyway before the creation of pads and it never bother them. Plus menstruation only happens once a month, just bite the bullet and stock up now and you won't have to worry about buying more later on it. That's what I did, bought a giant box of pads and I'm still using them, haven't bought period products in in a few good months now.

• 3d

But truth be told, if money wasn't so important to the world none of us would have to buy things that are basic needs for humanity. Water, food, clothing, housing, medical care are things that should be free. The world shouldn't have people starving, dying, or living under bridges, but things are this way because of man's unnecessary greed for power and money. Just think if we all pitched in to help one one another across the world, we could all come together to share food in stores, the return would be everyone gets to eat and not starve. Someone is sick and near death, we help them to get better so they may live longer, the return would be get the exact treatment if our health ends up declining some day as well. Things are not the way they should be in the world, but they are because we took a piece of paper, turned it green, and said this more valuable than your life. It's sad but it is what it is.

• 3d

I like you, can I kiss you?

• I'm on the fence for this one 😕

In the ideal world free tampons and pads would be perfect.

But realistically I'd compare and place tampons/pads with baby nappies. If nappies for babies aren't free then sadly we as growing women don't stand a chance to get free tampon/pads.

And the norm is (especially in economically developed countries) that we should be able to work and buy these needs, as we would for food and shelter.

I may sound very opinionated and narrow minded here but I firmly believe that people shouldn't have children if they can't financially commit to raising the children until they're adults.

Also I think that by selling such necessity products (food, shelter, everything babies, tampons/pads) it pushes people to work and earn money which is great for the economy.

• it's a hygiene and sanitary thing. people dont have to pay for deodorant and showers either but we do it to stay clean. I dont think $5 every 3 months or so is a big deal. women really need to shut up and stop complaining. I dont want my taxes going up because of someone's bloody vag.
    people make those products. they require resources. it's just not fair.

• No. But the luxury tax on them should be dropped. They are very clearly not a luxury.

• It'd be great but it's extremely unrealistic. Let's face it: most things aren't free and that's the way it should be.

• I voted no, because I'd imagine if all pads and tampons became free companies wouldn't bother creating the products anymore. What's the point? They gain no profit and only lose money. If this was something that was funded by taxed I'd imagine the quality of the products would go down and women would receive less options. More importantly, women didn't choose to have periods and they are a necessity, but so is food and water, clean air and housing. None of those things are free. We all need them to go day by day, we all need them for survival but none of those things are free. I do think pads and tampons should be less expensive, same with groceries. It's not like we're never going to eat food again.

• Ironically most women voted Yes while most men voted No XD
    But seriously the tampons and pads you buy have a lot of tax on them, they would normally not even cost that much (in the end they're both made of mostly cotton and viscose which are not very expensive). So answer me this guys: Nowadays tampons and pads are taxed as LUXURY ITEMS did you know that? In what way is an item that helps women cope with a natural body function a luxury item? That's as if they'd tax condoms as a luxury (condoms are tax-free).

• 4d

Don't compare apples with oranges. I agree tampons and pads shouldn't be taxed, but don't make the comparison you just made. Bringing a kid to the world can't be compared to stained pants.

• 4d

Actually in the UK they removed the tax and they only cost a few pence cheaper so I'm not really sure how that makes them mega expensive.
      Anyway, condoms aren't exactly male oriented considering that it takes a male and a female to create a baby and you should also include the fact that there is such a thing as female condoms which cost more (though they aren't exactly common).
      And it's not that ironic when you think about it considering that periods affect the majority of women (and some guys) if periods don't affect them why should they say that it should be free?
      Even if they were free the cost of tax would go up considering that the government would be paying for it which wouldn't really benefit anyone considering that the companies would lose out and possibly cause high unemployment.
      Another thing is that some things e. g. basic food, water and education, you know, basic rights all require people to pays whether through taxes or by person so even if it was "free" it wouldn't be.

• 4d

@gianna80

The sales tax depends on where you live and it's not exorbitantly high. In my country soap, electricity and razors fall under the high tariff and so did toothpaste until last year, so it's not like tampons are being singled out. Sales tax regultaions are byzantine in most countries. Suggestions that tampons are singled out because they're only for women are nothing more than paranoia, just as ridiculous and worrying about a "gay agenda" or a "war on masculinity".

• No, for the simple reason that it costs money to produce these items. Manufacturers are businesses, after all, and businesses need to recoup their costs and make a profit to stay afloat. However, some brands and types of tampons and pads are far more expensive than they need to be. I just avoid the fancy products, lol.

• 3d

well businesses would still get paid. all free stuff did cost money to produce.
      they would probably earn way less because the gov would negotiate the best deal and buy in bulk, but that's also money saved in distribution for the company

• Kind of, yes? Like yes I think they should be readily available for free in the same way toilet paper or soap or water are- situationally and not with great quality or quantity. Menstrual hygiene products are pretty basic necessities, and I think it would be a very good idea to make them accessible for people who need them and can't afford them, but obviously it's just not realistic to go around handing out unlimited quantities of free stuff.

• There are free pads at my school bathrooms hahaha but my school pays for them. I've seen other places with free pads (restaurants, country clubs, clubs, theatres) in female bathrooms. But the company pays for them, just like they pay for electricity, water, napkins for cleaning hands.

I think that can work. but free that tax payers must pay for it... i dunno

• Hell no I had to buy them so can other women.

• I think the reason why they aren't is because it's a monthly thing where sometimes it occurs twice a month. Every woman's body is different so the usage is different too. For instance if you have menorrhagia then you're likely to use more pads/tampons. Add to that the count of women in a society country. The cost would become too much and they wouldn't be earning much profit

• No, I don't see any reason for them to be free (except potentially to homeless women or those in severe poverty). However, they certainly should not be taxed.

• No. We all have to pay for necessities! but I do think that its great that there is an organisation that gives pads/tampons to the homeless! 👍🏻

• No, just as men should not get free things just because they are men.

• i say no because we all need toilet paper too. so if i we're to say yes than toilet paper would have to be free as well because we all shit and piss if that makes sense and that is also not either sexes choice lol

• I think it should be free for those in need like homeless women, because they don't have any solutions.
    But I've never had a problem with buying tampons and sanitary towels so I don't see the need in it being free.

• 3d

They already are free for homeless people. Every homeless shelter -including those run by churches- give out free handfuls of pads and condoms to all. Homeless individuals as a way to help them and protect them from becoming pregnant. So the shit you're talking isn't only already in place, but it's actually better available and more capable than you're aware.

• 3d

The "shit" I'm talking is based on what I know in my area.
      There are so many homeless people here and there aren't many magical places for them... therefore not everyone has the luxury of walking into a church and being given what they need.

• I don't see why not.
    You can get an abundance of free condoms just about anywhere that doesn't sell them (like schools, medical clinics, birth control clinics, etc..) so.. why not offer free tampons as well? Especially seeing as how periods are something all women get without being given a choice.

• 3d

I don't have a choice about when I have to take a shit, does that mean you should have to pay for my toilet paper?

• 3d

@Loon309
      LOL are you seriously comparing toilet paper to menstrual products.
      anyway, you can receive free toilet paper at most of these places too so best run off and stock up while you can.

• More from Girls
    58

What Guys Said 101

• The fact that we need certain things does not mean that someone else should provide them for us. If I need a girlfriend, should the government import a Russian bride for me? If I "need" a car, should the government give me one? When we say "the government," of course the government can only act by collecting taxes from everyone, so we should be saying "my neighbors should provide me with a girlfriend, or a car, or pay my rent, etc." Why should my neighbors be required to do that.

These questions contain an inherent deception. "Should females get free tampons and pads?" Where can you get such things at no cost? Nothing is free; someone must pay for it.

If healthcare could be truly "free," of course it would be great for everyone to have access to the best healthcare. However, it is not free and someone must pay. So the question really is "should your neighbors be required to pay for your healthcare if you cannot afford it yourself?"

Political conservatives are not opposed to people having access to healthcare but the left makes such accusations to demonize us. Conservatives are opposed to a government which assumes more and more control of our lives because there is no history of any totalitarian government which truly functioned to advance the welfare of the populace.

• I don't think tampons should be free. Tampons aren't expensive. You can buy many of them for a fairly inexpensive price. They're also available everywhere. Having taxpayers pay for women's tampons is theft really. No one should agree to let taxpayers pay for women's tampons. Get a job, so you can buy your own tampons

• After thinking about this for a while, I decided to chose "no".
    On the one hand, I do believe that universal health care could probably pay for these things. And I do believe that women deserve to get these hygiene articles for free.
    But then again, there are other hygiene articles that we all need although we don't want to. I don't want to go to the bathroom but I have to. So I'm forced to buy toilet paper. I'm also forced to buy tooth paste and shampoo and many other things. So who is going to pay for those? And if we're already at this point, why not make food available for free too? I'm obviously not being totally serious but there is a genuinely serious base to these questions. Where do you stop? It would probably be very hard. So, I say "no" for practical and economic reasons, not because I think women don't deserve it.

• 3d

I don't think the argument is so much that all pads and tampons should be available for free (at least that's not the argument I've been hearing) so much as that they should be accessible for free when necessary, like toilet paper or soap in public bathrooms. As with a lot of things, the mistake people are making here is treating it as entirely black and white, without considering that it's possible for something to be available for free to some degree while still being not free more generally.

• 3d

@cipher42 Great point! I agree with you. I guess this kind of changes my mind again...

• maybe not free but covered by insurance. in places with universal insurance that would mean free to the subscribers and part of taxes. in the US it would mean women may pick a policy that does or doesn't cover those items

• If they were "free" then it would mean that the government would be using our tax dollars (i. e., money they take by force from everyone who works/earns money) to make the most economical products possible.

If you want to know how that works, find a woman who lived behind the iron Curtain before 1989, and ask her how good the feminine hygiene products were back then. If she says anything better than "abysmal", I'll be shocked.

Women today have all kinds of options, and lots of R&D dollars are spent each year to find better ways to make them. If you want to go back to "cotton rag" levels of technology, then, sure, invite the government to put all the other companies out of business.

• No. Feminine cleansing/ hygine products are a huge industry and the income that comes from that plays many ways into the economy of the businesses and stores that sell them. If those products were free, the businesses would stop making them since they would have no reason to profit. If taxes paid for it all, the fiscal budget would have to be adjusted to account for the new program and that would raise all of our taxes. There would need to be safeguards in place to monitor proper use and distribution of the products so they wouldn't be sold for profit illegally. #kotexcartel #padsand'ponsbecomedrugs Finally, the female genetalia has a self cleansing mechanism and the products are a luxury good (similar to blowing your nose in a kleenex) and they aren't necessary. Women still survived and thrived before their invention and widespread use. It is merely human convince and hygine/ disgust for the fact that a women's uterine walls are shed and discharged from the body in the form of discharge. It really is a misunderstood and taboo concept amongst most male circles (I myself only know rudimentary knowledge on the topic.)

• Oh... alright, Why not just give them bra's and panties while you're at it 😂

For this to happen, the state has to de-commercialize all tampon companies. Start introducing state ownership of tampons/pads, and start distributing basic tampons/pads for 'collection'. Oh but where is the money for the production of tampons going to come from if no one's paying for it?

Fucking why not make toilet paper free as well?

To elaborate on your point a bit, People are paying for FOOD... basic necessity, what makes tampon an exception? That's like saying people didn't choose to be born... therefore we must give free food.

It's NOT being sexist, it's being practical.

• While I'd generally say that women should get tampons and stuff paid by tax money since I'd see it as a health issue kinda thing that you can not ignore for obvious reasons, it wouldn't work for logistical and economical reasons. Just some stuff I can think about on the stop would be all the paperwork, regulations and hours of planning that would go into it. Who gets how many, and how does the shopkeeper know this? Does everyone get a card that you give the cashier to tick off a box of tampons? Then, there needs to be legislation for supermarket funding through the government etc. Also, can nobody else pick up tampons for you?
    It's just a little bit of a clusterfuck, and I'm sure that the administrative costs would be more than what women already pay for their tampons...
    So, just for stupid reasons that do not have anything to do with the question, I'll have to go with no.

• I feel the same way about this that I do about "free" healthcare, "free" contraceptives, "free" education, "free" abortions or "free" anything else; it's not really free, because someone's paying for it and that money could go towards things that people do need, like food.

It'd be great to live in a world where everyone could be given everything that they need to survive and succeed, but that's not the world that we live in. We have people starving in our country, so why would I ever support giving someone's cheap ass free tampons and pads? If they can't afford their own tampons, there are volunteer programs and channels that people can go through. Otherwise, it's your body, take responsibility for it.

• No, unfortunately. If they did, they could and possibly would take the biggest load as they could, since they're free of course. Things like this, shouldn't be free.

• Get a fucking job and pay for your own necessities. If it is "free", who ends up paying for it? Someone eventually pays the bill.

Something should only be covered by the government if it benefits all people equally. Sewage, water, police, fire dept, basic education. Things that are utilized unequally should not be covered by the govt. Food, university/college, medical, and... pads/tampons

• Well, should men get free condom?

Also, I know girls that are able to restrain their "menstruation" and got time to go to the restroom.
    I don't know if it's possible for everybody. But solutions exists not to use these products, so why bother and all? It's a huge waste..

• 4d

The thing is that period is something females gets and can't control; something they gets against their will. Sex however is something people can choose to do or not to do.

• 4d

Condoms affect men and women

• 4d

In my country men do get free condoms.

• In most cases tampons are being paid jointly by couples, in other cases parents of teenage girls.

Who would pay for tampons if they were free? Older generation Tax Payers?

Are we now going to have a tampon subsidy?

No bad idea.

My spouse and I paid for her and my daughters tampons and now that they are adults they are paying for them now.

• I'd say they should be partly free.
    If you only take the production costs without fancy branding and colourful packaging, it would not be that expensive. The state could buy those in bulk and distribute them free of charge to people who live off welfare.

I think this would be fair, as it is a additional need and welfare is for taking care of those basic needs.
    If somebody got more needs than somebody else, he obviously needs to be provided for that extra.

Then, in countries with government funded healthcare, they could pay a fixed amount per product. This should be high enough that the most basic products are either almost or entirely free. But women would retain the choice to pay extra and get a higher quality product of their choice. This is already done with stuff like needles for diabetics.

Note: this is written from a German perspective. Here it would be possible and within the same spirit of what is already done. This can be totally different in the USA or other places.

• Until our current economic model is fixed, it would be a huge burden to the tax class to add free stuff. It's also a slippery slope. If you give out free tampons/pads, some angry MGTOW will demand free toilet paper and baby wipes, since he "didn't get to choose whether or not he has a functioning butthole".

In a perfect world, I would say yes, definitely. But it's not perfect, and I shouldn't have to pay for your pads and tampons anymore than you should.

• No, tampons/pads should not be given out for free. One can't claim that only women buy tampons because I've sold them to men numerous times, and every necessity is paid for be it food, water, or anything else but air. If anyone wants people to get them for free they can donate them to a shelter.

• No. Everybody should pay for their needs, because fulfilling those needs somewhere cost money and effort. You are paying for other people to make them for you. This is something alompng the line that should condoms be free? Only one gender needs to put them on (and is expected to carry them). The answer is obviously no in that case as well.

• No: people pay for other necessities (water, food, shaving gear, etc...) themselves too. Remember that men need to eat more. In a broader societal context it could easily be argued that men pay more into social security and healthcare insurance/taxes than they get out of it, but of course women pay more for other things. I think the standard where large, catastrophic costs are shared and small costs are individualized is a good solution and feminine hygiene products are a small expense.

• Can we have free toilet paper too?

• Who's going to pay for it. more government means less freedom, plus government money will increase cost as tampons now can draw on a limitless supply of dollars and don't need to keep costs low.

I don't expect for girls to pay for male expenses for any reason even if men suddenly had an equivalent need, it's not fair for anyone to pay for someone else under penalty of law for any reason.

• No. They already get their asses kissed in pretty much every other way imaginable, I shouldn't have to pay for their fucking pads, too. Fuck them. Bleed, bitch. It's not my problem. Stop spending your money on going out with your girlfriends, looking for strange cock, and buy some godsdamned pads.

• No, I do not think that is a good idea. The feminine product business is a business like any other, and introducing a "free" product (I use quotations because federal or state government would still have to pay for them, by use of tax dollars, whether that means purchasing them from manufacturers or building a manufacturing plant themselves ) would lead to lost jobs and a lower GDP for America.

• I don't think they should be taxed as luxury items, but they shouldn't be completely free either.

• No they should not. Not only is it a luxury item in the first place, but the quality is going to be crap anyway. It's a waste of taxpayer funding. If you have to pay for water and food why should pads be free?

• Here is your free, usuable cup.

gladrags.com/.../2012052814225345790_lrg.jpg

As per their FAQ, if you look after it, it will last you years and years. If you don't, you get to buy a new one because that's your fault. If you prefer to use tampons or pads, that is also up to you to look after.

• Why not free food? It's much more importance than pads and tampons.

This is just stupid chicks trying to get free stuff. Someone has to produce the materials, someone has to use those materials to make the product, someone has to then ship the product to the store. Who's going to pay for all that? Pay for your own shit like we pay for our own shit.

• No. Where does this entitlement mentality come from? How does it get started and where does it end?
    Why should anyone be paying for anything for someone else? I'm just not getting it. And the government shouldn't be paying for anything personal for people - they don't even belong in our healthcare industry.

• 3d

If people can work I'm agreeing in they should earn their own money. Things like food, water, electricity, tooth paste, soap, toilet paper etc. isn't free either and it's human needs. When it comes to health care I thinks it should be free and the part of a welfare society. Not everyone can afford health care and it's expensive. Poverty isn't something people can control and health care is more expensive than basic grocery needs. I thinks as a society people should contribute so everyone can get an opportunity to a decent life quality. Life doesn't need to be more unfair than necessary.

• 3d

So from my point of view I thinks caring about other humans and letting the general population getting a decent life quality is important. Bad things happens us all and some gets more severe, so if the community helps each other the world doesn't need to be more unfair and worse than necessary. Poverty isn't only something that exists in the 2nd and 3rd world countries, it's a thing in 1st world countries like the US too. In Norway; my country, no citizen needs to starve to death and you don't need to live as a worthless trash despite your economical situation. Yes, they still face challenges, but not more than necessary.

• 3d

Hmmm... you sound like you can decide for people better than they can. This is a typical liberal/socialistic/communistic approach that many of us don't buy into. And you argue with the exceptions rather than the rule or the norm. in my opinion it's all a fail. But whatever, you're entitle to your opinions.
      No, no free tampons! :)

• They should do a tampon charity.

• NO! Women have been having periods since the beginning of time without needing to shove a rolled up toilet paper bullet up her cooch. There's no reason to call it a "necessity" because it IS a privilege AND a preference. These companies need to make money too (which is why they've made it their mission to convince y'all you need special types of cloth shit to put up there WHEN YOU DON'T)! They're actually not more hygienic than ulterior options, they are dangerous because toxic shock syndrome does happen. -My ex girlfriend's little sister died from it from a tampon when she was 12.- it's a waste of money and resources when you could just invest in reusable pads and diva cups/make your own reusable pads they're not actually so difficult. -My class made a bunch of them to ship to Haiti and Uganda and they took us like 10minutes to make one.- and lastly it's completely selfish and ignorant and detrimental to the environment

• 3d

that you chicks would actually have the audacity to demand I pay for your fucking tampons and pads with my tax dollars when I know for a fact that you're just being picky, privileges, prisses who pride yourself on your inability to function how to conserve product and not kill off the trees that create the oxygen that we breathe so that you can shove their corpses between your labia.

• They can shove an old sock up their snatch for all I care. If I'm not boning it, I don't want to pay for it's upkeep.

• More from Guys
    71