Are you for or against a hijab, burqa and niqab ban?

I've seen several politicians in different European countries talking about a ban. It's illegal in some European countries to wear burqa and niqab in public, but hijab is still legal. Other countries is considering banning it's [All of them] use in school, jobs and other public places. I'm wondering what your opinion is.

Here's my opinion:
I thinks people should be allowed to wear what they wants to in their spare time, but jobs and schools should be allowed to have some dress codes and have policy about being religion and politically neutral in clothes. I'm not saying it should be mandatory, but just an option for workplaces etc. if they wants to. Just because I thinks it's fine with a dress code doesn't mean I'm for a school uniform in school.
#Hijab #OutfitBan #HijabBan

(The B option's picture is just an example, not necessary these you would ban)

• I'm for a ban (Explain)
  • I'm only for banning some of them, not all (Explain)
  • I'm for only banning them in public, not private (Explain)
    Vote C
  • Schools, jobs etc. should be allowed to have a dress code against it
    Vote D
  • I thinks it should be encouraged to not wear it, but not a ban
    Vote E
  • I'm against a ban (Explain)
    Vote F
  • Other (Explain what and why)
    Vote G
A person on GAG wrote a MyTake as a respond to my question.
www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a48552-why-banning-facial-wear-is-a-terrible-idea

4968

Most Helpful Girl

• I think Hijab and Dopatta are completely fine.. they do not look unprofessional or anything.. but I am against Niqab/burka.. it's not even mandatory in Islam to cover your face... so I don't know why those women do it.. maybe they're forced to do it.. I am all for 'people should be allowed to wear whatever they want'' but Niqab/burka is something which should be banned.. it takes away one's identity

• Yeah it's a law in some countries like Saudi Arabia.

• @ElissaDido Well it is in some countries.

• Covering of the head is the practice.. not covering your entire face

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, obviously I'm NOT for a ban. Because that would infringe on someone's right to wear these pieces of clothing if they truly wanted to. My opinion on the hjibab and similar articles of clothing? Outright female oppression. These women in these countries that have a belief in wearing such clothing are usually not as free as the men. They are beholding on the wishes of the man and these women are repressed. Many women claim this to be true. How can you cover up your body and face and not be oppressed? It's to control these women. When it comes to workplace policy, the employer can decide what constitutes proper attire and uniform. Just like tattoos must be covered, some instances hijabs must be removed.

What Girls Said 48

• I have mixed opinions about this. On one hand, I fully support everyone's right to follow whatever religion they want, and clothing is sometimes a big part of religion. So due to religious freedom, that should not be banned. On the other hand, from what I have heard, the burqa and niqab are not actually requirements in Islam. I believe those are simply more of a cultural thing in certain Middle Eastern countries (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) so in that case, it shouldn't be treated the same as clothing that is strictly religious.

I can see how completely covering your face can be a security issue in public. I know in many places masks and other things that cover the face are not allowed so it would make sense to ban them for the sake of consistency with other laws.

• I am not a fan of religion - certainly not Islam, so my *personal* opinion is that it shouldn't even be worn.

However, this is about banning an article of clothing, and religion or not, I'm against that thinking only because if you tag on the reason that it's religion, then it's bigotry - even if you think it's well-meaning for the woman. If it's banned because society thinks it knows best, then that's dictatorship.

So my country has banned the burqa, and normally I'd be thinking 'great, I'm on board' - not so fast. Telling someone what to wear or not wear (granted it's not at work, and places like airports and banks can still insist you show your face) isn't right, and I stand by that even though I personally don't agree with the religion.

It would be no different than Christians or pro-lifers telling me what to do or how to think because of their "well-meaningness". Besides, if it isn't the burqa, what next? There will ultimately be something to ban, and it's the same old - people trying to run other people's lives.

If rules are put in to place such as showing one's face for security reasons at a bank, or alternate dressing for work or school, there shouldn't be a ban on *any*thing, and I think that's my point more than my disdain for all religions. If you want to believe it, go ahead. If you want to wear it, be my guest. Don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you what to do.

I think we actually have more success by simply living better lives and being more compassionate if we want to influence the best from others. To me, telling people they're arrested for wearing something just isn't the answer.

• Only if they're also going to ban crucifixes, crosses, pentagrams, moljnirs, baphomets, yamakas, rosaries, monks robes, nuns habit, priest collars, basically any and all religions attire.

• Ok, here i'm going to talk about whether it should be banned IN MY COUNTRY , which is a Muslim Arab country.

I'm not against Hijab because I'm considering wearing it someday and many of the females in my family, including my Mom, wear it. I think that in some contexts Niqab/Burqas should be banned. For example, in the hospital, at school, University etc. But i don't really mind them wearing it oustide, like i seriously don't care.
    I'm actually considering wearing the Hijab because it attracts me.

• Banning for security purposes is not logical because still a people may cover all of their body but may not wear a hijab. So just because someone is wearing a hijab doesn't mean that that person is hiding something I think people should respect to each other's clothing especially if it's for religious purposes.

• I suspect the head coverings that most religions used to wear but now mostly still used by Muslims was not for modesty or religious reasons but to stop the spread of lice thousands of years ago

As for the face coverings that's piss taking... in Syria the women are ripping them off and burnin them but Muslim women are wearin them to stir up west that's all it is to piss us off... should be banned completely

• Meh, I'm for people doing what they want. If what they want is to cover their hair or cover their face or their whole body, then cool. I guess in some situations, like at airports or maybe at the bank or something, it's important to be able to see someone's identity so in that case, maybe they can be taken aside into a private room so the identity can be verified by one woman or somthing like that, but other than that, sure, wear what you want.

• I think it's fine and something European countries are free to do.
    I mean... if it's illegal or 'socially frowned upon' so much in predominantly Muslim countries to wear shorts/a tank-top, why not extend the same courtesy to Muslims when they come to westernized and predominantly Christian countries?

• Not sure where you'really from but most Western countries are secular, not Christian, and rightfully so. No matter what the religion is, the government affiliating itself in any way with religion is only asking for problems.

• @Deathcore_Zealot
      So you're saying that Europe is the morally depraved society that is in their perfectly functioning state (where men and women get equal rights, women aren't killed for dating whole their family sees as the 'wrong' person', etc..) because they do NOT embrace religious values?

&Muslim countries are morally fucked up because they DO embrace religious values?
      Hm. Seems like you've understood this whole issue as a bit of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• No...

I'm saying European societies are good because they don't currently embrace religious values (back when they did they burned people at the stake). They are peaceful and have good values because religion rakes a backseat in European society.

• I'm a muslim myself, I think niqab and burqa should be banned since that's cultural and not related to religion (It's what people made up with the time) and I think it's totally nonsense to cover up your face, because that's like hiding your whole identity. As for the rest, I think it's alright and it shouldn't be banned.

• I think that it shouldn't be outright banned but I think that there should be workplace rules that allow certain religious symbols to be worn and that people can wear whatever they want to in private or at their place of worship but not in public unless it does not obscure the face e. g. the hijab, dupatta and possibly the chandor.
    I think that the hijab and dupatta should be allowed to be worn in schools and in the workplace because religion is part of someone's identity; fully banning the religious symbols would be like going up to a Christian and telling them that they cannot wear a cross because it's a religious symbol or going up to a Jewish man and telling him that he is not allowed to wear a skullcap (if he was an Orthodox Jew he would refuse as it would be against the teachings of the Torah).

• I see nothing wrong with a niqab except a few highly secured areas where your face HAS to be shown, like in highly secured areas or just places where people need to identify you. Some places have private checkup rooms on their way to enter where niqabi women show their face and ID card with picture only to the female guard in secutiry there and then they are allowed to enter. In many schools girls show their face once they enter the school and cover again before they go out.

Most women in my family wear hijab... and I believe I'll be wearing it soon too. I do cover my head when I go to certain places. I have even drawn my veil down to my nose/chin while crossing some places at times. Full-time niqabis simply have their face covered anywhere outside the house.

• I have Lived out in Egypt with a Muslim husband and his Family, and we spoke about me wearing a Burqa if the day ever came that I needed to do. so. I would wear the scarf from time to time. And I always covered my arms out in public.
    As long as you follow One's own Rules in One's own Country, it's not How you dress that should be Banned but how you Follow Command. xx

• I don't think they should be entirely banned, but I think it is okay for schools and jobs to have their own dress codes, especially when it comes to full burkas.

• People should be allowed to wear what they want. If you want to wear it, go for it! I'm all for that.

• It should be encouraged to not wear

• Well I think we nobody has a RIGHT to force a ban. But there are some businesses that could discourage it, maybe a salon isn't the best place to work for someone who covers there hair? The other thing is, headcovering is religious, anything else is purely cultural. At the same time, people from places like SA or Afghanistan (only place I know of that does this!) where its forced to cover dont really have the right to complain of a ban, but we shouldn't do the same thing right? How can we claim thats a violation of human right and then go and do the same thing?

• Everyone should be allowed to wear what they want.
    And our most important amendment is the first amendment, which gives us freedom of religion, of course as long as it does not violate another's rights. Someone wearing a hijab, burqa, or niqab has no effect on another person whatsoever, and it's religious wear. Not sure why there's even a talk about banning it, it does nothing to you.

• I think the burqa and niqab (and chador) should be banned. A burqa was enforced by the taliban and doesn't resemble freedom to me, even if the woman chooses to wear it. The niqab doesn't show face, and that just seems unsafe.. what if you want to board an airplane but are wearing a niqab? How are they going to check if it's really you? They'd have to get a female attendant and go to an enclosed room just to check if someone is who they claim to be.

Also, I feel like most people take what's in the quran (or other religious books for that matter) too seriously. The only thing that is clear is that you should cover your hair according to quran, can show it to relatives and women and children, and shouldn't look at men. Islam also says you should be modest and not flaunt your beauty.

I believe the usage of cloths to cover the body even started to stop rapes? So that poor women and rich women looked alike, because they had to walk outside the city to use the "restroom".

• Would you defend free speech? Why not free clothing then?

• @bente2 strict clothing instructions for women, ormen or children -be they an obligation or a prohibition- are despotism. If people take example on M E totalitarian states to justify it in a democratic country, it's just an excuse to take our rights away, just like in the M E.

• @jacquesvol yeah, ok so you are comparing those two. Then this talk is pretty much over.

• As long as their face isn't covered I don't mind at all. It's their choice if they want to cover everything else but they should remain identifiable.

• I don't think anyone should be forced to wear it. Not should anyone be told they aren't allowed to wear it. It should just be up to personal choice. Its about their relationship with god and its no one elses business.

• As long as it doesn't cover their face. If they want to be oppressed... more power to them.

• Excuse me everyone.. the west talks about person's rights and liberalism.. where is it now? It should b a girl's personal choice whether she wants to wear it or not..

• Very hypocritical comment on your behalf. You expect western countries to abide by your expectations, but in no shape or form are you willing to adjust to their. Your profile says you are from Pakistan, so you as a south Asian are more then aware that if a woman were to wear revealing clothing in certain areas in your region not only would she get judged but probably stoned or killed. Same applies for other "conservative" countries, even in the Middle East. We want to set expectations on conservative clothing for visiting foreigners and expect them to follow, but we refuse to respect others expectations. Don't be a hypocrite.

• I say all that to say this, if you and many others (including myself) come from different conservative countries, that demand specific behavior of not only it's citizens but their visitors... who are we to demand different treatment in foreign countries? And why is it that, when they refuse to mend their rules to our linking, why are we quick to call them unjust? Let us not be hypocrites.

• @qa12017
      Why are u being so critical n judgmental dude? I have my opinion n u HV yours.. I am only saying that it's the girl's right what to choose.. whether she wants to wear it or not.. this have no link to the honour killings.. at least be relevant.. n please dont point out my nationality again n again. I m a proud pakistani alhamdullilah. Every country has its own flaws i admit that. we can't correct them all.. there are many issues in foreign countries as well.. we don't compell any foreigner to change their dressing here.. Many Chinese people are coming to live in Pakistan.. they wear shorts, jeans, skirts etc.. no one critisize them.. we know they have their own culture n we accept that..

• if they wanna wear it, let them.

if they dont wanna wear it, let them.

i dont see why they are being policed about what they wear... its as good as someone telling me i can't wear a tshirt anymore cos its offensive.

what?

• No one is suggesting it should be illegal in private! In countries which don't allow it it's also only in public.

I think covering your face is too much and I totally support it not being legal

• That is extremely bad territory.
      If you want to protest or go somewhere without all kind of camera recognision now you have the option to wear a mask and be anonymous when you want or need to be. It is something that protects you. Making facial wear illegal serves as a disarmment of the people as they can then be identified and taken away during or after these protests.

The world is changimg and perhaps the governament in your country will one day act not so kind to a protest. Then you are out of luck as being seen with facial wear would get you fined or jailed.

• @sawno actually it's already illegal to protest with face covering. So it has literally no impact on that

• It actually is over there? Thats something that needs to be reversed asap tgen.

• Dude, it clothing. It doesn't harm us that they wear that stuff. Granted, I'm not used to seeing anything other than hijabs worn nor can I undstand why they let their religion make their feel obligated to wear such, but these clothing are still important to them.

Though these outfits seems strange to me, I will not go around trying to tell people what they can or cannot wear, especially with clothing that is so important to them.

• I'm for the extreme versions. just like Im against anything oppressive. making people cover themselves like that is torture and is unhealthy in the heat, I dont care if they "want" to do it or not. people in the middle ages wanted to whip themselves for god but thats not legal today either.

• I'm for banning any garment that fully covers the face.

• I think it's totally fine on their own time but schools, workplaces and even businesses should be able to set their own regulations against them.

• I'd say only ban the ones that are covering the face, and the ones that are very baggy, where I can potentially hide dangerous stuff underneath.
    I don't care if it's just their head that's covered, but the face has to absolutely be visible. And they shouldn't wear baggy dresses, floorlength.
    My opinion.

• More from Girls
    18

What Guys Said 67

• I would probably vote in favor of a ban on burqas and niqabs. I don't have a problem with hijabs.
    As for work places and schools: I'm very strong about secularism. ANY type of religious symbol should be forbidden in public jobs and schools. That includes hijabs, crucifixes, jewish kipas, turbans etc. It's just appropriate in those places. It's like wearing a t-shirt of your favorite political party when you work at the civil registry office or you're a teacher. You can do that in your free time but not when you're working.
    Private companies can make their own rules.

• I think your too secular in life

• @Crazy123456 Well, I think culture is far more than a "norm". I know what you mean by that but I consider it... richer than just social propriety.
      Also, culture is rather a set of practices than a belief, which makes it more likable to me. Anyone can have beliefs but if you want to bring yours into public life and affect other people who may not share them, the beliefs should be provable. Unfortunately, this is not possible with religious beliefs and/or claims.

• I meant the sociological meaning of 'norms' which includes their practices

• There is an issue of public safety since someone wanting to rob a convenience store, bank, etc. could hide behind one of these headgear.

• If it covers the face then it should be banned, plain and simple. Unless if it's a cold winter or when there's smog.

• I would be pro-ban for clothing that completely obscures the face. Religious clothing also has no place in the workplace.

The reason?

While I acknowledge the need for one's freedom to wear what they want, there also needs to be a balance in terms of what is acceptable in the society you live in. If I were to immigrate to a different country, I would have no expectation that the society that I immigrate to should adapt to me. It is the other way around. When you go to a foreign land, you adapt to the customs of that place.

In western societies, it is fundamentally important to see one's face whether it is in a private, work or business setting. Just as shaking hands as a greeting is a standard custom, so is seeing one's face and smiling. Workplace clothing like suit and tie are important in one's image. You would never go to a job interview wearing dirty/shabby clothes because you know it reflects poorly on you. So too does clothing that does not conform to the norms of this society... that includes religious clothing that is customary in a country across the planet.

In such instances, I favor the balance to lean towards society rather than the individual.

• I live in a large town in England with a high Muslim population. As you said, there has been a lot of political discussion recently about banning Burqa etc. So I wanted to test something. Myself and a female Muslim friend walked into a shop; She was wearing a Niqab (Full-body coverage), and I walked into the shop wearing a black-hooded jumper and a balaclava showing only my eyes.

As you can imagine (and rightly so) i was stopped and asked to remove it for security reasons, however my Muslim friend was not asked to remove her Niqab. I asked the security guard to explain himself as both of us had our faces covered.
    He said because she's a Muslim she's allowed to wear it. I think that's a terrible way to think.
    People should not be allowed to circumvent safety/security rules just because of their religion (any religion).
    Imagine if I had gone into a bank wearing a balaclava? I'd probably be shot! But wearing a Niqab is fine? It doesn't make any sense! So I vote that you should ban them In public places, however they can wear them in their own home if they choose to.

• Personally I find the idea repulsive and repugnant that anyone should have to hide their face for religious or cultural reasons. However, I don't agree with the government banning certain types of clothing because it sets a dangerous precedent for the government to interfere in people's daily lives. However, an employer should be able to ask the employee to abide by a reasonable dress code. Unless there is a disfiguring medical condition, I see nothing wrong with an employer expecting the face to be visible.

• I'm against a general ban but for a ban in certain situations. For example you can't wear religiously influencing attire if you're a teacher. In my country, teachers aren't even allowed to wear a Christian cross necklace. I think your personal practice of religion conflicts with your status as a teacher who's supposed to be neutral. So yeah unless it's specifically a religious private school, teachers shouldn't be allowed to. Also some other offices but I'm too lazy to count them all and reason for each individually

• I'm for a ban.

It isn't a religious obligation to wear any of those items, it's done to identify separately from the majority of the population.

It's also often done under duress from male relatives.

I don't see a good reason for wearing them.

• It would never have come to this if there is common respect for the new country you migrate to... their house their rules BUT when you come in and push your own agenda that's when I agree to enforce a ban...

Many people that travel to Islamic country actually dress modestly and some wear similar clothes... out of respect

• Depends.
    I would ban all of it, for some people. If someone represents the state as a teacher or something, I would not want them to wear religious symbols.
    The state is secular.

This goes for Christians and wearing a cross too.

In places where security is an concern, I would ban at least the full cover.

What somebody does at home etc, is none of my concern. If somebody wants to run around in public with a hijab, that's none of my business. Otherwise I'd had to ban those plastic bags old east european women sometimes wear on their heads too.

• I do not want the government to dictate what we can and can't wear. Whether that's a full hijab or full nudity. That should be up to the individual.

• I am not against it but as soon as a large group of Muslims try to use violence to get others they should immediately be kicked out of the country. Freedom of practice goes both ways. That's what a lot of Muslims don't understand they want to be tolerated and tolerated, but they don't know how to accept or even tolerate others. I am only against the niqab when it comes to ID and airport security checking for common sense reasons. You need to know that person is who they say they are.

• Burka is covering the whole person, but niqab is covering everything except their eyes. Muslims who's immigrants can easily gets kicked out of the country if they've done anything illegal. But what are we supposed to do with regular citizens who convert to Islam and does something illegal, or with second and third generations immigrants? They're citizen, so it's a bit different then.

• Yes the burka shouldn't be allowed either. Just showing the eyes isn't enough either. You should have to show your whole face. Yeah when I was speaking about Muslims I was referring culturally from the Muslims from Arab countries. And its more of a country law situation. When an immigrant comes into another country they have the right to be deported cause its like hey we don't want any other extra problems being created that our own country already has to take him or her back.

• I'm for the ban. Each country should have the right to make it's own rules and should have the right to enforce them. If people don't like it, they can see their way out of it.

• I'm Muslim, even my parents, my aunts, and uncles think the burqa from head to toe (just showing their eyes) is too much. But in terms of a girl wearing a hijab, it's the girl's choice to wear a hijab, the parents can't force her. What you see in places like Saudi Arabia is simply a dictatorship country that doesn't value women, that does not represent what Islam is.

• Yes, the parents can't force her according to islam. No one can according to islam. But the thing is, that does happen. It is forced upon women. So we can say it shouldn't be according to islam all we want, the truth is in a lot of countries it is. I even know families who've forced their daughters and cousins to wear it. A friend of mine is muslim, everytime she visits her family they comment on why she isn't wearing a headscarf, why she is exposing her shoulders etc.. and they cover her up.

• Wow!!! You're 31!! Amazing!! Such an accomplishement!! You must know everything better than anyone below your age!!! Ever!!!

Politics&law has nothing to do with income, apart from the obvious benefits and taxes et cetera.

• @bente2 you sound like a child, oh I forgot you are... conversation is over. Good bye.

• If you're going to ban those, you then have to ban every conceivable Halloween mask, every conceivable ski-mask... basically anything that ocvers the face.

• I support the ban, because it does not represent the countries equality and liberties of women. In Arab countries these women don't have a say at all in if they can take it off, period. I look at it as a tool of oppression, I certainly don't like talking to women through a little black slit or a girl who I can't see for who she is. The Veil has no place in public at all. Put it on in church or at home but when you are in public and or in the presents of using a public service you should be seen.

• Freedom is key so if people want to wear this they should be allowed. At the same time an organisation should be allowed to request a dress code as they see fit if they made this part of the emplyees contract.

We should NEVER have politics dictate how to express ourselves as thats an open door to censorship and by extent enslavement.

• I'm not for an outright ban, but it needs to follow the same standards as any other headwear.
    If a hat wouldn't be considered acceptable, neither should a turban, burka or whatever.

• I have only two questions related to stuff like this:
    1) Are these articles of clothing isolated objects or is there some sort of cultural baggage attached to it--as in, is there an affinity for these clothing choices to be attached to certain cultural practices? And does the cultural baggage attached to the clothing outweigh its utility or is it the other way around?
    2) Do people wear them by desire or coercion?

• I personally find the whole burka thing silly and when you listen to their reasons and read their book among other things you find all the different reasons kind of contradict one another especially when they try to link it to Christianity.

• Im for banning most of them, i think in a sense cultural freedom is the death of duty to the society. But at the same time society kills cultural inclination. A healthy balance is good.

• I think anything that covers the face should not be worn in public. Unless you're skiing at the time.

• Against Hijab ban.

I asked myself why all this blah blah against Hijab in some western countries?

Then i found the answer, (Women are paying an existence tax "a tax that a person pays to have the right to exist" by revealing some parts of their bodies). and Muslim women must pay this tax.. LOL.

• I dont shame women who wear revealing clothes but it sounds like there is a secret law for girls

(The more revealing clothes you wear the better you are and the most acceptable you are in society..)

• No one can deny the hidden law that society sets for girls "reveal in order to live".

• I wouldn't want to make wearing anything in particular banned.
    I would just advise against wearing something like that on a hot day.

• they shouldn't be banned but in places where a terror attack is a likely thing just make them show their face if they have the burka or niquab to security then let them put it back down

• Those who want it have the right to wear it

• I'm against people who force women to wear this.
      I'm against people who prohibit women to wear this if the women want it.

• Who the fuck am I to decide what someone can and can't wear? Especially for religious purposes. 100% against a ban. Everyone needs to chill and let people do their own thing. If it's not hurting anyone, leave them alone

• I say companies should be able to ban where it inhibits the requirements of the job. Examples would be secure areas (face and body visual necessary), operating heavy equipment/working around heavy equipment (construction, machining, anything where inhibiting vision would be a safety concern or where clothing getting caught in machinery would be a concern), I'm sure there are others I'm missing.

• It represents a culture of oppression, sexism and lack of freedom. I don't want that in my country. To me, it's like walking around dressed as a KKK member.

• Nope. Hooligans and antifa wear muslim veils to hide their identity when ransacking cities.

• More from Guys
    37