Those in the U. S., do you live along the path of totality? and if so, what are your plans for the day?

• I do and I'll be... (details below)
  • I don't
  • Sarah, what are you talking about?
    Vote C
Select a gender to cast your vote:
Its really surprising that many in the United States do not know what I'm talking about. People really need turn on the news. It's the "path" of total darkness that will occur over a 65 mi wide area from Oregon to S. Carolina. This VERY RARE event will occur 8/21/17
svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/.../...9_1920x1080_1920x1080.jpg
This is called a Total eclipse of the Sun the last total eclipse for the US occurred in 1979.

832

Most Helpful Guy

• Damn I live in Florida. The last Solar Eclipse in North America occurred about 100 years ago! It must have been in Canada, Mexico or some other region since you said the last for the US was in 1979.

• The last U. S. COAST to COAST solar aclipse occurred about 99 years ago but in 1979 the eclipse shadow passed through the U. S. states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana (where totality covered almost the entire state), and North Dakota. Also the Canadian provinces Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec, the Northwest Territories of Canada, and Greenland.

• Well, the next one is a partial eclipse and is in Antarctica, but The next total Eclipse is in July of 2019 in South America, Central America, the Galapagos and Polynesia.

• Antarctica LOL!!! South America great! Thanks for the info girl! You must be a Astronomy major!

Most Helpful Girl

• I think we are somewhere in the 85-90% range.

I'll be at home with my mom watching it with our Amazon NASA approved glasses.
    😎

What Guys Said 31

• I live right in the path of totality here in east-central Missouri. I'll be watching it with my elderly parents at their house to make sure they know when to take off the eclipse glasses. I'd rather attend the event at the local library but parents come first. We will get 2 minutes 30 seconds of totality.

• My home is about 3 miles from the centerline of the zone of totality. I was going to head home today, but I am stuck in the northeast.

• Go to work as usual.

• I was thinking of going up there, but it only lasts a few minutes, and it's too far. I do have a relative I could probably have stayed with in central Oregon, right near the path.

My co-worker is driving up with his brothers to see it in Idaho. I would rather spend my time off on something that lasts a bit longer.

• It's about 50 miles south of where I live. I'm going down the day before and spending the night there.

• Going to the local science museum for their viewing party

• Me? Going to work for a 10 hour day making sure my tax dollars are being spent on welfare and free everything for all those muslim terrorists who came to this country. That's what I'm doing.

• Oh never mind, I get what you're asking. I'm about 93% coverage, it's going to be dark here. My sister is in Idaho Falls and it's going to be total coverage there

• 90% here in Tallahassee. It'll be noticeable but not totality

• I live in Los Angeles. So I got the album early. I also got lunch, ran at the beach and went to work.

• What you wrote makes zero sense. Using past tense words for a future event leads me to believe you should have voted C.

• You've obviously chosen the perfect image for your profile pic.

• FYI. "Path of Totality" is a album by the band Korn. It was issued in 2011. Since you were not very specific as to your question. I answered accordingly. But if being condescending to me and others that want to answer your question, makes you feel better. Then I am happy for you.

• Nope. I'm supposed to get 79% where I live.

• We're having about an 80% eclipse, but I don't really care. Today I'm working on a Fortune Teller display for Halloween. She'll be in a wood display box, and have a glowing crystal ball. Last year, she just had a cardboard box and a crystal ball that didn't light up.

• I am way too far south...

• You'll still be able to experience it to some degree. Look at my update image to see what you'll have where you are.

• boarding a plane

• Nope but i know we should be able to see notice it. Hoping I'll be able to see it. Talking rain on Monday by me, so it will be dark anyways lol.

• I lie about 60-80 miles north of the center of the path of totality

• Live close to the path but I don't want to drive. Don't have solar glasses so I'm kinda screwed anyway. Total eclipse is not that rare, plan vacations to other countries when a total eclipse will be occurring.

• Not rare planet wise. If you're poor as dirt or terrified of planes and water then this is rare.

• You called me a dumbass. Those type comments are prohibited. Please stop. You really do have a nasty attitude but I imagine that comes with being a 17 yo boy. I'd appreciate if you don't comment on any more of my posts please.

• Yea I'll just block. Hypocrisy.

• Same thing I do everyday.

• Oh wow thank you I had not even heard about it until now yes I do I'm so glad k saw your post I live in California just on the lower part of the San Joaquin valley.

• My primary home is dead center of the path of totality. :-)

• Oh, the eclipse.. not driving to see nothing, survived several already LOL.. and a 900 mile jaunt just to see the lights on isn't the party everyone thinks it is..

• Ill be at 50% during the rainy month so no one here will notice

• Here in Arizona it will be cloudy. Plus I've already witnessed two solar eclipses in my lifetime.

• That's pretty cool considering a total solar eclipse only happens where you live on average of once every 375 years.

• No unfortunately i live in the state that i can't see it.

• I wish it was coming through Pennsylvania.

• Look at my update image. You'll still experience it to a large degree.

• Yeah I'm going to be watching on TV cause their suppose to tell us what time it will be happening. I will watch outside cause i believe we will experience some darkness from it.

• What are you talking about @SarahsSummer?

• I'm in New Jersey and I think it goes past me.

• I won't be able to see the eclipse but it's past the New Jersey area

• You sound like you ate a hand full of shrooms.

• Lol. You sound like you've been living under a rock for the past month.

• Google "path of totality" and get back to me on it not making any sense.

• Oh. Yea there's an eclipse in a few days.

• Not quite close enough for 100% totality, but I'm always down for a good occultation.

• More from Guys
    1

What Girls Said 7

• We'll get about 98% coverage. We were going to stay with family where it would be totally covered but the traffic is already crazy here. I can't imagine trying to get over there. Like the gas stations are running out of gas and the firefighters are hoarding it because it's so out of control around here.

So we're staying home and not leaving the house until like Wednesday XD 3.bp.blogspot.com/.../misfits.gif

• I don't think I'm directly in the path. Based on maps I've seen, I'm just slightly north of it. People in my area should still be able to get a really good view though, although I don't personally really plan on watching. I will just be working and staying inside out of the heat. Lol

• I do considering I'm on the east coast. Even worse that I live in a town where some of the civil war happened. Worse still because I work in a civil war building and I work the next few days.

• So I just realized my tired brain looked up a different word and you're talking about the eclipse.

So revision: im off work that day and most likely staying in the comfort of my own home. Unless it occurs around the time I have to go take care of my grandmother, then I'll probably be doing whatever she wants to do. Though I can see her freaking out over it.

• It'll be over 90% in my city. No big plans, but we will take our lunch break late so we can go outside and see it.

• Yes and I'll be hiding in my room until everyone leaves.

• I don't even know what the path of totality means

• It's the total eclipse happening on Monday. Hopefully you see my update for its effects near your location.

• I live about 100 miles north of you so I don't think we're in the path... what are your plans?

• I'm gonna stop to look to see it. I think I'm in the 75-80% zone so it'll still be interesting to watch.