How do you feel about the destruction of confederate statues and monuments?

How do you feel about the destruction of confederate statues and monuments?And there's even talk among Antifa members about destroying George Washington and Thomas Jefferson memorials since they were slave owners.

how do you feel about all of this?

• I support it. It's a good way to get a message out
    21%(4)21%(14)Vote21%(10)
  • I don't support it. Destroying historical monuments is just wrong
    63%(12)67%(45)Vote69%(33)
  • I feel differently (please say)
    16%(3)12%(8)Vote10%(5)
Select a gender to cast your vote:
https://youtu.be/s8wrfKGErEo

Heyyy lookie here. It's al sharpton calling for the destruction of the Jefferson memorial.

Most Helpful Girl

• I personally think it's not a material concern, but I think there should be some compromise to be worked out. I disagree with what they seem to want which is basically to expunge the history. However, there are some things that just shouldn't be done. You want to take a statue down for some civil war general, great, go for it. George Washington... nope. Or any figure of historical significance that wasn't tied only to the civil war, nope. Get over it. Honor the people that died as well, not every person was a culpable slave owner or believed in slavery or was even racist for the time.

What Girls Said 5

• I think history, whether good or bad, is a fact that happened and removing things or changing the names of things does not change the fact that it happened.

In other words, I find it pathetic and stupid,

• i don't care

• It had to leave.

• i think statues are good

• bring them all down . then display them at the Slavery Museum at the Whitney Plantation
    in Wallace, Louisiana . and also at the Lynching Memorial in Alabama that will open in 2018 .

• so you're ok with this?

• @Max_winner1
      Lunatic alt-right extrtemist losers freaking out over the fact their symbols and monuments
      to white supremacy, racism, bigotry, hatred and lynchings aren't safe spaces on a
      pedastal to glorify and to shed a tear over anymore . and are not 'free speech' proof .
      How white supremacy morphed into pathetic white victimization . too funny to pity .
      White supremacy and the White (Supremacist) House is more of threat to America and
      American history than Isis religious fanatics.

• Do you want the confederate soldiers dug up? What's next

What Guys Said 27

• removal by government is fine with me if that's their decision

individuals should not be running around destroying statues.

• I don't know about the generals but at least some memorials should left for the average joe who fought because he was told to/had little to no choice or just because he had to put food on the table for his family. Chances are he had little to no grand ideals of his won - all he cared about was surviving and hoping that he didn't shoot his cousin who moved north beforehand.

• It's wrong seriously wrong, we're not Germany we don't go around trying to erase our history from existence.

That's our history and past like it or not you just don't do that. If I ever caught someone doing that I'd beat the living shit out of them, not because I'm defending a confederate general but because I'm defending our history.

This gotten way out of control what's next do we start burning books that have bad parts of history in it or things we don't agree with? Banning music, movies, TV shows hmm?

What's next where do you draw the line?

If this isn't stopped it's going to go to far and get really bad really quick.

If you want my opinion those people who are desecrating monuments should be arrested and charged accordingly. Like it or not those men were Americans who were fighting for what they thought was right.

But it was more then that the confederacy was fighting against the North because the North was trying to steal and claim land from Southern citizens, the North was also fucking over the South on trade badly.

The war was about a hell of a lot more then slaves, hell the south wasn't even fighting for the slaves. What they were fighting against was the North's horrible treatment of the south and it's citizens. In case you forgot the South compared to the north was in horrible poverty. But of course all these ignorant people think is that the war was about nothing but slaves, slaves, slaves.

You don't take out your anger by destroying pieces of history in historically significant locations.

Good and bad history needs to be preserved period, lest history gets lost to the sands of time and we forget it.

Then years later we'll just repeat the same mistakes of the past because the history we could have learned from is gone thanks to a bunch of butt hurt snowflakes who got triggered by a bronze statue of someone they don't even know.

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it
    -George Santayana-
    -Winston Churchill-

And destroying history, desecrating monuments and historical locations is not going to erase what happened.

And what about foreign tourists who come to America to see these historically significant locations and these monuments, the history the past.

What are they going to see if your destroy everything that triggers your simple, helpless little minds?

• Liberal leftists and these terrorist groups antifa are no different than ISIS. Isis who killed people who did not follow their train of thought were killed. As where the ancient monuments of long long age old relics of time. They are doing exactly the same thing Isis did and there is no difference. These groups need to be arrested and thrown in jail for destroying historical pieces. Reminds us of our past and what not to do. But now here we are destroying our past because we hope to not be reminded of it.

• All of this statue toppling and destruction reminds me of what the Taliban did when they came to power in Afghanistan.

• Don't forget to hit up the cemetaries. Here's the tombstone of the confederate camel that needs to be taken down.
    www.roadsideamerica.com/.../MSVICcamel_nugent1.jpg

• The people that support white nationalism should be condemned and looked down upon. Taking out your anger by destroying pieces of history in historically significant locations is wrong. I view a large portion of population in the U. S. as educated ignorant toddlers.

• Extremist liberals be crazy. Giving me and others a bad rap n shit. Like they could be doing something better with their life, working and building up their career, progressing themselves.

• I'm not American but if you remove confederate monuments then surely you have to remove Washington and Jefferson monuments or any others that honours a racist so basically most monuments before 1970. Let's not forget the same federal army that defeated the confederacy also committed mass genocide of the native Americans, which was worse and more evil the confederacy or federal government. I'm not for revisionist history but this does seem to be a seceterian bigotted attack and witchunt on southern whites and their culture. Should we remove statues of Martin Luther king for being a devout Christian and not believing in gay marraige, like where do you stop.

• It's defacing historical statues. If I go as a tourist to America now, there is a part of the history I can't see.

All history should be preserved both good and bad in my opinion.

• If they have a valid reason... and fighting for a cause that is real to them - I say go for it...
    The world seems to do whatever the F they wanna do either way... so hell with these 'fake' laws and rules when most of the assholes running the show don't even follow any of these...

• They are no more than petty terrorists. No better than IS destroying historical monuments.

• In the case of confederate monuments, maybe you put them in a museum but ultimately it should be locally up to the people who live nearby to decide. The presidents are our presidents though, I mean, they didn't declare open rebellion against us and slaughter Americans like Robert E. Lee did. I don't Like that they owned slaves but, Andrew Jackson committed genocide & he's on our 20$ bills for fucks sake.

• Answer to first question: we had to take down Hitler and Stalin statues too. Statues of hateful men who may or may not have accomplished something.
    Second: your idea about antifa wanting to take down George Washington and Thomas Jefferson is nothing more than right wing propaganda with a small hint of truth behind it.

• did you watch the video?

• Not every liberal is level headed and do believe him. Those are the antifa people.

• That's my whole point: how does his crazy views represent liberals?

• One in five SUPPORTS this? I'm staggered...

• I think legally doing this is right, I think antifa ripping them down is wrong. Don't celebrate seceding from the Union. Put them in a museum.

• I am ok with confederate general memorials being torn down, but as for the founding fathers, yes, some of them had slaves, but with out them we would not have our country. Now, let's go ahead and bring up the fact that the slavers had slaves, and let's talk about the fact that it is wrong.

As for the Confederate generals, let them fall. All they contributed is hate.

• Its disgusting and part of the lefts effort to silence free speech. After all they admit that they're communists

• the problem with the Confederate memorials is that they have been adopted by bigots and racists to mean something else entirely. they are being used by racist groups as symbols of hate and divisiveness. what also pisses me off is idiots sporting the Confederate flag in states that not only fought for the north, but in the case of west Virginia, seceded from Virginia over the issue to side with the north.

• Its pure barbarism.

• The powers that be are pushing for total social upheaval to take our attention away from something else. Else these clowns would be in the jail right now

• It's nice to see people rebel against some of America's dark past.

• I don't really care. Put it in a museum. They're losers after all, lost the war.

• It's doesn't really affect me

• I think that that confederate statues and monuments should be taken down, but put back up in museums so people don't forget about them and learn about how horrible the stuff they did was, and we don't celebrate them like founding fathers

• if you were a slave held captive by these people then I'm all for it.

• There are things you do not do and messing with American historical figures is one of them. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were important men at their time. They had flaws like owning slaves. They were only human and so are we. SO keep their monuments up.

As for Confederate monuments, don't do it yourself, let the state or county remove them. That's defacing property and you or someone else could get seriously injured. Statues and monuments are heavy and care has to be taken to remove them. So allow the state or county to do it.

• against its part of our history