Why do humans love being in gangs/groups and not stand out?

I wants to hear the scientific answer on why many humans likes being in gangs/groups and prefer not to stand out. Many prefer following the crowd more than thinking differently. Often it's common in high school, middle school etc. for example. But also in other situations. #HumanGroupMentality

427

Most Helpful Girl

• Human beings, like all primates, are deeply social creatures. It's literally in our DNA to seek social acceptance and companionship.

Most Helpful Guy

• Humans are social creatures. Have you ever heard of the bystander effect? It's kind of like that. We act and think as what the group or society would like us to do. We don't want to be the "black sheep" or isolated from the crowd. We act and look on what the crowd is doing and follow them. It's biological 100%. We also want validation from our peers. No one wants to stand out, especially in a stigmatized way. The crowd shuns those people and that person's personal flourishing is hindered because they now have lost the support of the whole. The support of the group.

What Girls Said 3

• I used to be liń∑e that. mostly cause I didn't want any attention on myself since when i did receive some, it was to make fun of me about my weight.
    Now that I've grown, and look and feel much better, I realise that it is by standing out that I can find people like me who I can create a bond with.

• I think it's because it's reassuring.

• It's a lot less to worry about. If you fit in you have a lot less chance of confrontation or expectations from others.

What Guys Said 26

• Same reason herd, pack, flock animals do it. Many species of animal are social. Humans are a social species. We are not loners like a grizzly bear.

When it comes to adolescents, on the surface it does seem like the desire for acceptance is more intense than other species. But how well do we know those species? With social animals, others of the species are not automatically accepted.

Primates have been known to murder their own, apparently for violating some social norm. There are some sort of rules in any social species, whether we understand it or not. I think it's safe to assume the kids learn those rules as they are growing up. If they violate them , they will be shunned. Will they feel bad if they are shunned? I think they do.

It's a complex system of survival of the individual, but more importantly the species. Even more important is survival the total ecosystem.

Humans love to set themselves apart from other animals. But in the end we are still animals and largely ruled by millions of years of evolution.

• Because humans fear being ostracised from the group because in old times being alone meant death and that survival instinct has been kept in place with ever generation.

Humans do have a desire to stand out and be special in our current generation but only if it is deemed positive/social accepted.

• Humans are social creatures, and conformity means acceptance by the rest of the tribe, whereas being an outcast would mean certain death in nature.

• We're biologically social creatures meaning we need that group/social setting. Usually people who like to be alone are the outliers, literally and biologically

• Well most definitely as has previously been said, humans are social creatures but then they can be social without grouping up. The reason why people group up is the fear of being left alone in a world full of billions of people and hence there hang with some people of a similar niche to fit in.

• Because there is power in groups, people have always stuck together for survival for thousands of years

• Because of the great power dumb people in huge groups have.

• People try to blend in. The reason may be for social acceptance or maybe they are attracted by others of their kind.
    Standing out takes courage. It involves a risk factor. You don't want to look diffrent.
    But I think people don't stand out because they are not taught to do so. They are taught opposite of this.
    People are taught to be like someone, blend in and follow what oters follow, be part of a race for survival, and look at the statistics.

• It creates a sense of belonging, and people are, overall, social creatures that don't function as well on their own.

• When were cavemen, we banded together to hunt and fight off packs of animals, and that mindset has stuck with us since then. It's gotten bigger though, as in tribes who lived in the same area began to come together to form countries and ethnic groups

• Humans are drawn to being groups. They love being included by others. We love to socialize with others who we have a common ground.

• Because, meep-morb, humans are social creatures and have survived this long by teaming up to overcome challenges.

• Not always true, I enjoy being a lone wolf and being fully able to defend myself.

• It exists exceptions, but many humans are like sheep.

• @razor97 Not 100% of the time do you engage in social media. An intelligent lone wolf listens to the hoof beats of the masses, even just out of curiosity.

• i didn't say that i engage 100% in the social media, i am trying to avoid socialization 100%, totally. but that's not possible as seeing now, i'm not lonely now

• it's human nature, we're social creatures that prefer to be with those like us

• we are also afraid of loneliness. and when we spend some time with another person for too much we became addicted to them. i am not one of these people, i try to avoid friendship and other beings.

• @razor97 Why do you personally try to void people

• @MysteriousDarkness statement: i was always hated by other people and i'm still, i am ugly.
      and i don't need their friendship, they have nothing to give me, and i don't need them, all they do is cause troubles.
      return: i am not a social sheep, my heart is all about myself and my plans anyone else is not well come, now please leave me alone, you're annoying me

• since the stone age, humans have gone in packs like wolves to survive and hunt, so naturally people just feel safer in groups because it's their biological senses kicking in

• they want something they are missing, a "family" environment.

• Because we are pack animals. It goes back to the cave days when we hunted mammoths.

• In a Group of humans everyone has a better Chance of survival

• its safe, being with 5 people is safer than being alone

• People like to belong

• it's in our nature, if the caveman was not in a tribe he dies.

• Because it feels good to be a ganster?

• I think that standing in groups makes you stand up more instead of being alone.

• Sometimes you've more freedom if you're alone instead of being in a group where you've to follow trends etc. High school is an example at that. It gets maybe a bit better when you gets older.

• But being alone makes me bullyed:/

• * Normies are not people.

• its about pornograph industry