Does anyone else agree that there shouldn't be a cap on overtime for government employees (as well as everyone else)?

I just read this https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/21/exclusive-secret-service-out-of-money-to-pay-agents-because-of-trumps-frequent-travel-large-family.html

and as much as I despise trump. It always makes me angry when any organization (nonprofits excluded) whether big business or government refuses to pay for the work their employees do, its one of the many reasons I'm very pro union.
The fact is that if we aren't goijg to pay our workers then we shouldn't expect them to protect the president

310

Most Helpful Girl

• Here are people literally putting their lives on the line and we can't even PAY them? This is ridiculous.

Most Helpful Guy

• Link doesn't work but if I get the gist of your question - No the secret service agents should not be expected to be out of pocket - The Trump family should curb travel, reduce protection or contribute towards cost - The idea towards curbing public service expenditure well I think they should priortise and stick to budget - Overtime needed to get pensions out yes definitely, protect and fly the Trumps to one of their resorts every weekend no there is adequate cover in the White House.

What Girls Said 2

• Yeah it is too bad for those secret survice agents. Protecting the orange baboon without pay. Dang. My company won't even let me work overtime.

• I could certainly see a cap on overtime _hours_, but a cap on overtime pay is ridiculous.

What Guys Said 9

• I don't think you understand how your government works.

The government is not refusing to pay their employees. The secret service does not have the money to pay them. Those are two very different things.

In your country, the federal government assigns budgets to various departments such as the secret service, FBI, US EPA, homeland security, pentagon and various agencies. These budgets are written into law, and they are not simply blank checks that allow unlimited overtime.

When the secret service coffers run dry, and employees aren't paid, that has nothing to do with the secret service. They have no control over how much money they are granted. The blame actually lies nowhere. Federal grants are based on future projections and modelling, which is not an exact science. When Congress passed the budget for the secret service years ago, nobody would have predicted that Trump would be president, and that he would have a much larger family to protect, or that he would spend most of his time outside of the White House to go to his own properties or golf courses.

It's like me asking you to predict the future, and if you are not accurate in your prediction, then it's your fault. It is nobody's fault, and is the result of the system which the US runs on, in addition to multiple events that were extremely unlikely to occur.

• That's a bummer. It is a job, however, I also thought that people with nation's pride joined the secret service, with money being a bonus lol.

im generalizing fyi.

• Youve mever had to raise a family on an air force captains salary, when my dad was still in the military when I was younger, we were nearly on food stamps

• A job is a job. I think they should be compensated fairly for the work they do, but unfortunately, that's not how the world works. and apparently, it just got worse for them with overtime being cut.

• As a business owner and consultant, there must be overtime caps. But this problem isn't so much about that as it is a failure of Congress to appropriate the necessary funds to properly run a vital agency at the same time as an unplanned increase in protectee expense.

by the way, CNBC broke your link.

• www.cnbc.com/.../...quent-travel-large-family.html

Didn't seem to bother you or anyone else when it was the Obama family, wasting money.

• That's up from 31 during the Obama administration and it makes no mention of them running out of money to pay people during that administration

• and I'm not sure why you posted that when its linked in the question

• Because I was tired and not paying attention.

• The reason there's a cap is that some agencies have historically kept themselves understaffed and used highly paid overtime as a perk.

By calling it they are trying to say "either hire more people to pay at a regular rate or scale back what you're doing".

• except these people are working and they should be paid for their work

• State workers are unionized and I've seen them go for months without payment until the budget gets passed if they're "nonessential". I lucked out because, when I worked for the state, I was an essential employee.

• You're paid for your worth and not how hard you work. Besides, unions are corrupt too. Now, that's the sad part.

• Well yea there shouldn't be a Cap simple reslly

• I agree