Blocking people, a sign of weakness?

I see a lot of people blocking each other, including blocking me. I personally think that if you block someone for an opinion, you already lost any debate, period. Sure if someone is just spamming and insulting you, that's enough reason to block (why it exists), but a lot of people use it as if they are American College students (in need of a safe space, cuz words = violence cry cry). What is your opinion on this? Have you been blocked mid debate? Have you blocked mid debate? And do you think the block button is being abused?Blocking people, a sign of weakness??Blocking people, a sign of weakness??

1411

What Girls Said 14

• I've blocked people I was in discussions with.
    And it's always for one of two reasons - Evading questions and/or playing word games.
    If you want to debate subject X, that's great, I'm happy to have this exchange with you, but you have to actually want to have an exchange. Don't waste my time with mental gymnastics or argumentum-ad-dictionary. Present your case, answer criticism - that's how debates work. Refusing to answer a question just shows me that on some intellectual level you've already checked out of the conversation and at that point, you've forfeited any right to get the last word.

Oh, I also just block anyone who starts prattling on about insane conspiracy shit. I can't tell if you're mental or just a troll at that point.

• I understand your point, and to a degree I agree, I simply try to get the debate back on tracks when people try to slide off them, but when they keep doing what you said, I simply leave. But in general I understand and agree with that. Debate is great, but it should stay on subject

• >Refusing to answer a question

This shit happens so much here and usually when they refuse to answer yours they present another question to you even though they haven't even answered yours

• It appears that someone has angered you enough to cause you to make this question. I have discovered people who blocked me for the sole reason that I am a moderator. It is what it is.
    Why do you let it bother you?

• Does it bother me? No, seeing the people who block me aren't good at debating in general. When I get blocked mid debate I see it as a win, but I have had times where the debate was really interesting and then I got blocked. That is pretty sour, but mainly because I felt like it was an interesting debate.

I saw a topic about someone being proud of blocking others for their opinion being "recommended" by apparently the mod team (which is kind of dumb, because anyone who disagrees with the person gets blocked). So that's why I made this one. Want to discover people's stances

• Ah, alright.

• I don't care enough to block, as I'll just leave any conversation that turns sour. But I have been blocked by some guys that tried to flirt with me after I told them that this is not a dating site and that I am not interested in them. So yeah, in those cases blocking is a sign of weakness.

• Do some guys really block after you tell them it's not a dating site? 😂 I respect your stance

• Yes, they do. It's pathetic.
      Oh and there was this one dude who just wrote me a message saying 'you're shallow' and blocked me immediately afterwards so I couldn't respond. I'll probably never come across someone with so small balls again in my life.

• I've never blocked anyone but I was blocked within the first three days of being on here.
    It could have been because I was being a bit insensitive towards the person and the topic I was debating about though I didn't shout insults at them because it's not my style. I'm more inclined to back up m opinion with facts but even if I could be in the wrong I'll still argue because otherwise I won't be able to learn since people don't tell me straight up why I'm wrong or if they do then I'm inclined to not understand until I begin running out of power where I'll end up having a bit of a moment where I realise that I'm wrong and why I'm wrong.
    So I use arguments to help me grow and if I'm blocked halfway through then I'm inclined to think that I've won even if the evidence may say otherwise and then I wouldn't have learnt anything from it.
    I don't try to offend people. I just try to get answers when they do choose to argue with me if they get offended then they should tell me that it's offended them if not why rather than just blocking me since otherwise I end up being annoyed because the debate never reached it's conclusion.

• I think most of the time people use it when they feel harassed, victimized or overwhelmed. I get it's a bit lame to be blocked if you're having a genuine debate with people but a lot of people don't know how to handle debates these days and just see it as someone going out of their way to be mean. Soo, maybe avoid the temptation to just tear people down when they're being stupid and instead aim for the questions where you can help or teach people. Coz, if we're honest, everyone's a little bit stupid.

• Yea... blocking is fucking stupid... people who can't deal with the words of others are pathetic.

I dealt with a lot of bullying when I was younger but never wanted to be sheltered from it, I wished it would stop but when the things they say are true it makes you look at yourself in a critical way... it changed me for the better.

• Are there cases you would consider blocking them? Or are you a die hard "never blocker"? I like your take on things, it's interesting

• Damn 😂 massive respect. Really. Most guys would've probably blocked if they had that lol.

• XD yea guys can be creeps but whatever.

• Blocking=an option you can use when you're dealing with someone to whom you don't want to talk anymore and he/she can't or doesn't want to understand it.

• I block once I discover the one I'm debating with is plain ignorant and stupid. There's no point to discuss further with such a person especially if they're obnoxious as well. It's a waste of time and effort. They'll never stop shitting from their mouth anyway.

• Does that mean people who just throw insults and not backing up their arguments, or is it when they use arguments you don't like?

• Thank you for clearing that up ^^. It's interesting to see people's views on things, but once it starts becoming an insult match, then the debate already died. I understand now ^^

• Ah I don't know. If I'm in an argument with someone I never block them, and take it as a victory if they do block me. Though, for example, I've seen a guy I've never spoken to on here post shitty opinions and he's obviously a troll, and so I blocked him.

• I was blocked by one person who mattered to me then I deleted the account. I just joined this year so.

• Blocking is necessary if the person is being a creep. But otherwise yes it seems petty and stupid.

• Harassment and insults are legit blocking reasons, nobody likes it when people are being creeps I agree

• I block every person I hate. It's not weakness, I'm just too tired to argue and put more effort into it. They are weak and they don't deserve arguing, it's up to them and those pervy indian men.

• I block people for many reasons. And if you think an online debate will boost your ego just because another person decides to block you, I think that's personally sad. No one has time to debate allll day long. I'm just saying ✌

• I honestly enjiy debating, that's why I don't block people in this situation, but if it is like an argument abiut something personal and my "partner" won't understand me and just spams me I'd block the person because he/ she would annoy me

What Guys Said 11

• i disagree. i think there are different reasons to block and reasons why people block.

there are members who literally harass members. i've had women screen shot members who literally harass them daily. i don't think when that person decides they are just tired of it and block that person they are showing any sign of weakness

• Yeah it seems to be the trend these days.

I personally don't block people unless I know that they're the kind of people who are going to actually spend time seek out my every opinion and start an argument or debate on it.

If that's the case I'll block them because I mean honestly who has the time or patience to deal with that kind of childish bs.

But if I just happen to disagree with them, hell even if we argue if it ends right then and there, not gonna block em, just bygones be bygones and continue on with our lives, I'm sure we'll laugh about it later.

• Well, it kind of depends on the context. If you block people because you don't like that they have a different opinion than you, it can be a bit of weakness. If you block somebody because you are getting harassed, I don't think it's a sign of weakness. Just like when one gets a lot of creepers, I imagine that could be far more annoying if you don't block them.

So I agree with you essentially, although I can't be bothered to block in any situation. I haven't blocked anyone although I'm blocked by multiple people.

• Harassment and stuff like that is indeed why the block button exist. I love debating but when it becomes simple harassment or just insult throwing, then I don't see the point of my inbox getting cluttered with notifications. So in a sense I fully understand

• There is a saying that arguing with a stupid person is like playing chess with a pigeon, no matter how good you are at the game the pigeon will just keep on knocking the pieces over and strutting around like it has won the game.

And I believe this saying very much applies on a lot of users who frequent this website.

• That's an interesting saying to think about, I've never heard it before but it is really interesting.

• What CountessSarah said. When people dodge my questions and arguments and continue with their bullshit the debate is going on in circles.

• I agree that a debate should go somewhere, I personally would leave and not block if it just becomes running in circles, but I understand it can get tiring

• If you block someone just to get the last word in then that's pretty pathetic in my opinion.

However, if you block someone because you find them unpleasant then I think that is understandable.

• I've never blocked, but the amount of sissiness in our society and on this website is high. Funny how you say the thing about American College Students because I am one and sadly, most of the people in my school are ignorant and a shame to our society

• Yeah, I have even been blocked by people I have never spoken to, heck just recently I was blocked by some 25 year old because I was having a joke with her.

Even joking with someone gets you blocked and insulted

• Blocking is like walking away from a fight or argument , if the person is uncomfortable or it's cool to block someone.. I see a lot of things I don't like , and I block nonsense is always going to be nonsence. If you except it that's you , other people don't have to. If they are not interested, let it be.. good luck

• i only block people that don't actually answer the question at hand..

• Question as in when you post a question or? Don't fully understand what you mean

• yeah, if im posting a question, and they go off topic, or they answer it with another question that just doesn't answer it at all, that's when i block

• Nope