Is it true that American's like the "British" accent?

By British accent, I mean the stereotypical British accent because there are actually over 50 different accents with around 5-10 local variations in each one.

An accent like this (not jimmys :P). It's typically called the RP accent and is mainly found in the far south of England.

• Yes, i like it
  • Meh, don't really care
  • No, I don't like it
    Vote C
  • I'm British
    Vote D
5d
I speak like the guy in the video, is that good?

1610

What Girls Said 16

• Do they? I always wonder why so many American movies use British, more specifically English accents for their antagonists so often. Hiddleston himself being an example.

• There are different accents and slang terms in America too. There's Southern, Bostonian, Latino (I consider it American because some American territories were originally Mexican). British accents are just like any other accent to me.. the appeal will have more to do with their voice.

• I personally don't like American accents, mostly because I feel like American think that they're better then everyone else. British accents however are super attractive, Emmy exes cockney accent was phenomenal. I'm an not British however I sometimes have a English accent when I speak probably because I have many British friends with whom is speak English with. Australia accents come close 2nd

• Only if he cute.

• I love the British accent tbh

• 4d

(I'm not American tho xD)

• 4d

What do you like about it? It just seems like normal spesking to me :P

• 13h

Haha xD we all view how we talk as normal, even when others find it attractive to listen to lol.
      Well, I don't know, I just find it nice. When they've got a really heavy accent its not as nice since it's difficult to understand haha. But I really like it. And since I've lived in the UK as a child and I've had a great time there, I just love everything about England, accents included lol

• I'm not American but still love the British accent, I mean Queen's English precisely since their accent is so different everywhere.

• Get me that good Brit shit. Scottish, Irish, idgaf man.

• 5d

Even a Glasgow accent? :P

• 4d

Sounds fine to me if I can understand most of what you're saying LMAO

• 4d

I can't understand some Scottish accents to be honest haha

• British accents are cute!

• It’s my favorite accent

• I could listen to his accent all day

• 3d

I think that's just because his voice is so soothing :P

• 3d

possibly, I don't know I feel like the accent itself sounds sophisticated and intelligent while still being calming

• Everybody is different. But I like American.

• I think English accents are very soothing!

• Yessss omg I love British accents

• Yes, I think the British accent is sexy. The Australian accent is sexy too.

• They're pretty cool

• Everybody likes it

What Guys Said 10

• I think that it's an exaggeration for the main part. Some do, some don't. Some just like to hear something different because it brings the excitement of foreign shores. Just as an English guy might find a Spanish accent on a girl to be hot. I don't believe that American girls are all lining up for British accents at all. Besides which, once the British guy smiles they'll see that his teeth are shitty and the accent will no longer work.

• Won't be true for all Americans, but in my experience, yes, definitely.

It's an ice breaker, and the women seem to love it.

• I strongly dislike it.

• Technically that accent is called RP which stands for reciprocal pronunciation. It's also known as the Queens English or Posh British. 3% of the population speak it and they also speak it on the BBC. My personal favorite is cockney.

• 3d

I know it's RP, I said that in my question and RP is "Received Pronunciation", I'm one of the estimated 3% and I said that in my question

• Pete gold is still the best though
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NtQka-nySc

• a lot of people do

• I wonder how that accent became so popular besides the obvious movie and tv stars having them.

• i have a strong Irish accent and everytime i am in the States, women love it

• 5d

Argh, so jealous, i have a super super Irish name, but a really strong southern English accent. I always feel really posh wherever I go and people assume I'm a snob :/ but ngl, an Irish accent makes anyones knees weak :P

• 5d

Whenever we lose a game I always think to myself "could be worse, could support Portsmouth" :P and at least you didn't go from BPL to league 1 in 2 seasons like we did haha, we even started in league 1 with -10 points haha

• 5d

Plus you can always you-tube Matt le Tissier highlights after a bad game

• I think women like it. Men do to some extent, but I think men like Eastern European accents more.

• I'm from West London. So, I guess I have a London accent.