What do you think of H&M's latest ad?

Take into consideration that some white people (in the past and now) refer to black people as monkeys/apes.

Pamela Taylor, who was director of the Clay County Development Corp called Michelle Obama an "ape in heels".H & M latest ad?H & M latest ad?

• It's racist
  • It's not racist
  • You don't care one way or another
    Vote C

71116

Most Helpful Girl

• I think the message isn't meant to be racist. A jungle, after all, is a perilous habitat that can only be withstood by the fittest and the resilient. I think the 'coolest monkey' message there stands for a notable kind of individuality.

There isn't anything inherently shameful about monkeys. However, people who perceive that this is racism seem to think otherwise.

• Black people are referred to as monkeys and apes as a racial slur/verbal attack, which is why people found it offensive. That's why they think otherwise.

• @Allie_Oops I don't know and neither do you of any parent or grandparent or just any adult that hasn't called little kids a monkey, in fact there are outdoor kids gym sets with monkey bars. Seems that everything today is way over thought to come up with some negative about it.

• @katie 👏👏👏 yes my point exactly. thank you!!

Most Helpful Guy

• i think it's impossible to say without knowing the intentions of the person created the idea for the ad.

they could truly have been oblivious to the intimations of such an ad. they could have overlooked the racist implications.

if it's not racist then the creator clearly lacks the foresight or insight to see the potential conflict that would arise. it does seem hard to believe that a person wouldn't see and draw the connections between the race of the boy in the picture and message on the clothing

What Girls Said 70

• I don't think it's racists and I'm black people these days are so ass sensitive and blow everything out of proportion.

• ..."We're only human after all"🌬

• Sorry in my last words I didn't answer so objective but white people we are also Apes!!! It's silly to offend with words that defines you to! So black brothers give them a discount. Withe people stop being silly...

• My mom both a short for my 6 month old cousin and it wrote "Aunty's little monkey" we all thought that it was cute and was worn by a black baby. My point is it's just a clothes it's not like it's was stated "Black people are all monkeys"

• I think its only racist if you think black people are monkeys. At the end of the day they didn't say its only for sale to black people so just because its advertised using a black boy doesn't mean that its meant for black people only. If it had been advertised using a boy of any other race then a boy who is black is seen walking with it in the street wearing it , is it still racist? I don't think it is racist. The celltone advert shows a white woman does it mean its only meant for white women? I don't think its meant to be racist but if it is I'm no monkey so I'm not taking offence from it.

• It's only racist if you think too hard.

• I sorta understand both sides in this debate. I don't think there was malicious intent behind the H&M image, but when taken into the context of POC being called apes/monkeys in the past (and present), I understand why so many people got upset and offended.
    "Coolest monkey in the jungle" is a very cute thing to print on a sweater for kids, because kids often think monkeys are cool and like to play like monkeys in the playground. That's what I used to do as a kid whenever I was climbing trees or jungle gyms with my friends. But when the context of racism is applied, I can see how it's a tactless thing to print on a sweater and to give to a little black kid to wear.
    But considering the context of this probably just being a brainfart on H&M's part, I think the uproar is maybe just a tad... silly? Like as much as I think historical context matters, what also matters to me A LOT is *intent*. I don't think it was H&M's intent to be racially insensitive - H&M is actually one of the few clothing companies whose models are incredibly diverse. Not just in terms of race but also height and build/size.
    I wish we could live in a time where even black kids could walk around in cute sweaters that said "coolest monkey in the jungle" without people automatically linking it to racism or making the assumption that the clothing company's intent was malicious. But I definitely understand how it's a sensitive thing to a lot of people.

• Although, I have to specify that I DO NOT agree with people who are essentially saying "if you think this is racist then it means you're racist". That just doesn't make any sense to me. Just because someone is capable of understanding and applying historical context to current events, it doesn't make them racist. What's racist is turning a blind eye to these types of things and not even trying to understand where the other part is coming from.

• People are overreacting and triggered per usual. so since women call men dogs and a man models a "dog" shirt is that offensive? complainers just ruined a perfectly good modeling career for this child.

• Best answer ever. Go girl!

• I'm white and married to a wonderful black man and we both would love to have a hoodie like that for our 3yr old son. We from first look never looked at it as anything racist. It is truly a cruel world anymore and I blame social media and technologically for much of it.

• @katie neither do i. his mom is upset at the fact that people are overreacting. she approved the photo for the ad. the sweater is cute it's a reflection of what kids his age do they play in the jungle gym at school the monkey bars. i didn't think anything of it

• Its slick racist. I always dreamed of goin in H&M. Visited a store a few months ago and it was just as plain. So they lost my support way before this

• They aren't American they are swedish the racial stuff that goes on here doesn't go on there or in Europe. so I don't think they seen it as racist. on top of that his mom said people are overreacting.

• @lilmissumshine either way, its “slick” racist

• It's not racist at all people are just reaching and even other black people are ashamed of the allegations.

The biggest term referring to a child is calling them a cheeky monkey. There are children's story books written on cheeky monkeys. I understand that black people have been referred to monkeys negatively but I just don't believe that's what's happening here. If a white kid was wearing the top it would be fine and they're not just going to exclude black children from their audience - that would be racist.

Recently there's a video of people trashing a H&M store somewhere in Africa (where I'm pretty certain it wasn't even being sold there) and it's stupid. You're not helping anyone. Only the black employees are gonna have to tidy up your mess and the black security guards are gonna get the blame. Even black people are commenting 'no wonder whites folks call us monkeys when this is how we act'. It's all been blown out of proportion.

• "It's not racist" 45% Oh, GAG doesn't surprise me anymore.

Yes, this ad is racist. Like you said, black people were called "monkeys" by white people for centuries, so of course this is offensive.
    Just didn't care because they wanted to make money and they're also racist.

• *They just

• Omg point exactly.. my point exactly obviously they aren't racist smh

• @lilmissumshine Okay. If they're not racist, then Europe must be nice.

• I can see the racism, but I don't think the thought behind it was racist. Way I see it, there are two explanations:

1: The marketing department at H&M didn't realise the implications.
    2: The marketing department at H&M damn well realised the implications but released the ad anyway in the hope of creating controversy and hence, they'd get tons of free publicity and more people would see the ad.

I think option 2 is the most likely. It's not the first time H&M has been deliberately provocative in order to get more attention and publicity.

• Totally agree.

• It’s hardly option 2 😂 my mum has designed at H&M’s children’s clothes in the past, she’s heard from her ex co workers that there’s absolute panic at H&M over this controversy.

Designers almost never see the end product on the model due to the amount of products they make and believe me putting anything racist or malicious on a shirt is the last thing they think about.
      Even if there was someone complaining about the slogan and model together the child’s mum said she saw nothing wrong with it, therefore refuting any argument if there was any.

• @Rainie_
      Did they even think this through for a minute?
      That's my go to question, like what the hell where these people thinking.
      The head of whoever approved t his is going to roll

• The kids parents literally had no problem with it. Plus, CHILDREN are called moneys because they like to climb on stuff. If the white kid had been the one advertising the hoodie would it still have been considered racist. They didn't intend for it to be racist and it shouldn't be taken as such. It's just a freaking hoodie, who cares who is wearing it? People just want to get offended by everything they see because they're overly sensitive and look into everything more than they should.

• I am going to go ahead and give them the benefit of the doubt, in that I don’t believe that it was intentional. However, that doesn’t make it okay.

• Its a cute shirt put on a cute kid with his parents permission. I can see how it might be taken wrong but honestly it was meant to sell shirts. Thats the kinda thing they put on kids clothes to sell more. No big deal.

• They were definitely insensitive and careless, but I don't think they had the intention of being racist. They did make a pretty bad mistake though

• I do not think the message was intended to be racist, but intention doesn't really matter. If I accidentally hit someone in the face, I still hit them and I have to take responsibility for that. There is a long tradition of black people being associated with monkeys as a way to dehumanize them and make people see them as less than. As a white person I have the immediate gut reaction of thinking people are overreacting. I look at this and see a cute kid in a cute shirt. But, that is because I am privileged to have never had to deal with the negative consequences of racism. To someone who was beat-up and had the word "monkey" thrown at them as an insult that shirt takes on a whole different meaning. I don't see what is so hard about owning your actions. If I step on someone's foot even accidentally I apologize. It's the same with inadvertent racism.

• If done on purpose obviously that is racist, there is no proof that they did this on purpose so i couldn't consider it racist, my nephew who is a white little boy, wear tops with monkey on him all the time, he has about 2 or 3 with stuff like "cheeky little monkey" written on them.

• And the tops your nephew wears were not made on purpose? The hoodie was made on purpose because it was cute and racist wasn't even given a thought up until the time of course that some good ole fashioned American racists called it out. I sometimes think that we have black folks here who will do everything in their power to keep racist card going instead of giving a hand at stopping it.

• He's a boy. That hoodie is made for boys. Boys are monkeys. I call my students monkeys if they bounce around all the time and cannot sit still. And they're Asians. If this is the ONLY clothing item in question, then that's just another proof of "American POC being so fucking butthurt they make a big deal out of nothing." (this coming from an Asian, so don't start with the whole white privilege thing). There is a line between fighting against racism and seeing things that aren;t actually there

• The ad isn't racist. I'm sorry, but racism has to include some kind of intent; intent to demonstrate that one race is inferior to another or intent to hurt members of a certain race or drag them through the mud. H&M's only intent was to sell more shit, and people took it as a message that the kid modeling this particular sweater is black. Would we be taking it as a message if a white boy were wearing a sweater that said, "Sweetest cracker in the box", or something? Nah, we'd just laugh it off.

• Maybe the problem is that the people offended still associate black people with monkeys. I mean I seen the pic and thought it was just a cute kid in a sweater and had to read the comments to figure out the problem...

• I can see how people are offended there, but to be honest, people are triggered easily by anything that miiiight seem suspiciously provocative. Am I the only person tho who finds this ad really funny? I don´t think it´s meant to be racist so it´s really funny :D

• Not racist. Young children are often called monkeys due to their seemingly endless energy. If this was on a white boy the company would be called discriminatory for not using ethnic models.
    TDLR; Companies can't win, especially when Buzzfeed comes out to play

• The thing is, non black people most likely are going to think its not racist. I've seen the statement “I call my blah blah blah monkey” as if there isn’t a bigger history behind blacks being called monkeys. To this day, our features are alienated especially if you are dark, I myself have experienced this. I dont agree with what h&m did and I believe it was reckless of them, but I dont agree with the mother allowing for this image to be pinned to her son. I also dont agree with the South African protest groups that trashed a H&M store. Silent protest sometimes is the best protest and in this case, it was the best

• Maybe they weren't crazy morons who shout racism at everything, and instead see people as people. Racism may never just magically dissapear, but calling everyhing you see racist doesn't help at all.

• Crazy morons? See people as people? You're directing that to the wrong race 🤷‍♀️

• What? People who cry racism at everything don't help. If everything is racist then nothing is racist. Crying wolf does not help anything.

Why does this have to be racist? Why can't it just be two kids promoting animal themed hoodies? The only people who bring race into it are the crazy SJW morons, everyone else just sees two kids wearing hoodies in an advert.

• It's funny how the people who are apparently so against racism are also the ones who are so keen to point out the difference in skin colour and create an issue around it.

• The add isn't racist. The people reacting to it saying that it's racist, they are the ones who make it racist. They're basically saying that a kid can't wear something which refers to monkeys, simply because he's black. That's what I call racist. Does this mean that I can't wear a shirt with a cracker on? No.
    They could've avoided it though, there are a lot of easily butthurt people out there. Unless it's a big marketing campaign done on purpose, in that case they certainly became a top of mind company at the moment.

• Pointing out racism is not in and of itself racist, that's asinine. Nobody's saying black kids can't wear clothes that refer to monkeys, the issue is that the hoodie is referring to the wearer, in this case a black child, a monkey. Regardless of whether or not it was intentional, referring to black people as apes/monkeys has been used as a racial slur. It's happened in the past and it's happening today, just look at the pictures of the Obamas above. Is this ad egregiously racist? Not in my opinion but it is still racist.

• I presume the only people that see that as racism are likely racists themselves.

• Is it not more racist to say that he shouldn't wear that hoodie 'because he's black' when the message isn't intentionally derogatory?

• I actually use the word little 'monkey' as a term of endearment for children in my family.

• I just think it was a careless mistake. Sure they could have been a lot more cautious when picking out the outfits, but I don’t think anyone can reasonably say that H&M was intentionally sending a racist message when they published that ad. It’s popular for kids’ clothing and accessories to mention something about or depict images of lions, monkeys, tigers, bears, etc. Poor choice in who they put it on considering the probable backlash but still, not racist.

• Mamn how you people like to dramatize. smh
    H/M made the ad, people complained as it has a racist connotation, they apologized and put it down. END OF STORY

Does it benefit you look for yapping about it all the time? So folks wether it be racist or not doesn't matter anymore because it was already taken care of.

• I don't really care, there's more important things happening in the world

• It seems like an unfortunate marketing faux paux. This kind if thing happens a lot. Companies do everything they can to avoid being controversial and to be as consumer friendly as possible, so it was likely just a mistake.

• Especially since the company is Swedish. It would be surprising if they knew about old American racial slurs.

• They unintentionally made a racist comment. And because they didn’t say it in a racist way, in this situation, it isn’t racist. It’s just a kid with a cute sweatshirt. People are overreacting and turning this into something it’s not.

• Im having flashbacks of that Dove Commercial again.
    Surely their advertising team would considered the backlash it would cause if they put the two together. Whether if the selling point was harmless or not.

The thing is unlike the Dove commercial... I can't tell if its intentional.

• More from Girls
    40

What Guys Said 115

• The intention was most likely not racist and sometimes people perceives things differently than expected. I think people misunderstood H&M. Some children likes to climb in the trees and play monkeys; something the text is referring to. Maybe the boy was the only few volunteering to model. I doubt he would wear it and model if he found it offensive.

• Whether something is "racist" depends on the motivation with which it is said. . . right? I understand why many would consider the possibility but how can you infer an attitude solely on the basis of seeing the ad?

• I can see why people may be upset. This doesn't have to be racist though. Yes the person that decided for the black boy to model that sweater might have been racist, but they not have meant anything wrong by it. I'm more happy for the little kid to be having a nice modeling job.

Also I remember years ago Bush was compared to looking like a monkey. No one thought it was racist. Of course if he was black, the situation would be looked at different.

https://i.imgur.com/xdHVLMl.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/BabZHT5.png
    https://i.imgur.com/5eei6PY.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/9MR5Z5U.jpg

• I'm a left leaning lower middle class white man proud to have voted for Barrack Obama twice in presidential elections, even in hindsight. I call people apes, including myself, on a fairly regular basis. It's extra funny when you consider that I know modern man did not evolve from any form of modern ape. I make those comparisons somewhat ironically, to highlight the gross lack of intellect, skill and forethought in my peers. The race of my target is irrelevant. That said, I 100% believe this is a racial slur. Michelle Obama is intelligent, educated, poised, beautiful and compassionate. She doesn't resemble an ape in the foggiest sense of the term. Any suggestion to the contrary is grossly ignorant, and very likely hateful in its nature. I hope they lose everything as a result of this disgusting expression of racism, ignorance and hatred.

• Sorry, I mistook the text as the entirety of the question. I rarely pay attention to photos because a lot of people use irrelevant photos just to grab attention.
      If the posted photo is the controversy, I don't believe it's necessarily racist. A lot of people refer to kids of all races and ages as monkeys. Again, it's a comparison of their limited intellect, skill and forethought to our more "primitive" relatives, the apes. It's definitely in bad taste. You can't show that photo to an educated adult and not get some reaction, be it a laugh or gasp or a "What the?" You can't get to this level of advertising without a great deal of education and experience, so the idea originator KNEW this would be the result. They rolled the dice and won, because now EVERYONE is talking about it. At worst, they issue a public apology and continue to cash checks. Brilliant, really. Maybe racist, but mostly just shrewd PR.

• Racist.

• Couldn't are less. The idea that things are "accidentally racist" and should be apologized for is ridiculous. It obviously wasn't intended to be taken that way and who the hell would they apologize to, anyway? It's nothing but public shaming for something that wasn't even racist in the first place

• Eh, if you think thats intentionally racist either:

A - You think that black people look like monkeys, so the problem isn't with the AD, YOU are the problem.

or

B - You think that everyone thinks black people look like monkeys (I'm sure you'll find a few who do somewhere), and you're so incredibly paranoid about it that this triggers you. Again, YOU are the problem.

Its quite common for kids to be called monkeys by their parents, because they are full of energy always happy, running and jumping around. Its meant in an affectionate way, and describes that energy and joy. Its not derogatory, or meant to demean their intelligence or looks. And I think anyone interpreting it that way in a normal context has some serious self esteem issues to be addressed.

• Yeah, it depends on the culture. In America you folks hate the word n**, but in other parts of the world that word is normal for us and we joke around with it. In South Africa the equivalent is "kaffir" which is a really not cool word. Some racists will call a black person a "monkey" (I've met lots of lowkey racists)

I've found usually racists are older people, I never actually met a racist my age. We're just too smart for that shit, man. So this is why I dislike it when people are overly sensitive to anything slightly racist. I just feel like they have their head in the gutter to begin with. Why don't you focus on real racism and not pretend racism. It's not just about saying a bad word or making an obscure implication, it's about the undue hatred, frustration and ignorance hiding inside of people.

I can talk openly about any of this and use ugly words without censorship because I absolutely don't hate anyone for their race.

• Here is the issue, we're looking into to things to much thinking everything has some ultear motive.

This can be racist if you want it to be. But from a non racist view - its a picture of a kid wearing a hoodie calling him a monkey because kids can be cheeky, like to have fun and fool around - like a monkey.

Honestly - if most people just forgot about racism, treat everybody like another human then half the issues we have today would go away!
    If everyone could just accept we are all equal, let go of the past but remember the lessons and move forward. We would live in a much happier and friendly society!

• I think its hilarious, but I am kinda surprised no one in marketing thought it was a bad idea. It should be common knowledge by now that there are tons of oversensitive people who look for for things to be offended by. There have been enough examples in recent years of people going apeshit over trivial things that someone in their marketing department should have forseen that people would complain about this.

• I suspect marketing knew exactly what they were doing and wanted to deliberately provoke, in the hope of more attention and hence some free publicity.

• @DinaM
      Doesn't it hurt their businesses tho?
      They supposedly lost some of their celebrity endorsers and there are also people in the general public who are claiming that they will no longer shop there. I find it hard to elieve that publicity is always good regardless of context.

• I'm not saying it's the best strategy, but it is one that they have been known to use before. And it's not necessarily totally ineffective for them either -- just look at this thread, with all the people flocking to defend the decision.

• They mean monkey as in how kids can be referred to as monkeys affectionately.

But it’s seriously stupid that no one raised that possible connection in meetings before it went out to the public.

The picture would have been seen by multiple people before going online, so someone should have pointed it out.

• It's definitely racist, but I don't think it was intentional. I noticed some people (most of which are white) use the term "monkey" to describe their kids. Monkeys are often mischievous and playful, so that makes sense. However, you have to take into account context.

In any case, (fun fact) as human beings, we are not "monkeys"; We're apes.

• I don't think the ad promotes racial inferiority/superiority. I do think the ad execs failed to think about the optics. The company shouldn't be sanctioned or charged with a crime. But people should vote with their dollar, and have the freedom to boycott as they wish. That will force people to be more mindful.

• I don't know. It's bad taste, but I think it's more ignorance on the part of H&M than malicious racism. I'm willing to give them a pass on this one, but I understand if someone isn't willing to.

• Looks like I was right... the majority of us either think it's blown out of proportion or we simply don't care.

• If you're black and this is somehow a refrence to your race then it's my opinion that you are the racist because you yourself are recognizing that monkeys are somehow simular to African Americans :/
    How is this not more understood? The mother and the child had no problems with it because it didn't even come to their minds that it was racist because they aren't.

• I think it's ridiculous that people (mostly liberal white women) are still outraged over this.

They already know that it's obvious when a child no matter their skin colour is referred to as a 'monkey' means that the child is filled with positive and cheerful energy, but no, they just want something new to be offended about in their sad lives.

In fact, those who think the ad is "racist" are most likely the racists themselves, since they are the ones who started attributing this black child to monkeys.
    Sane people just see a cute kid wearing a hoodie. Even the child model's mother has already told these pussies to get over it.

• its not intentionally racist, but it is an advertiser fuck up.

it would have taken barely any effort to choose a different shirt for the black kid, and use a white kid for that one to avoid the potential misinterpretation.

• But honestly wouldn't it be racist to give the kid another shirt that didn't say "monkey" just becausr he's black?

• Don't go too far with the point all those fights were and are for such things... Now and I do and dare although I'm not comparing I'm just saying they fought fought for such things like this won't happen yes a black boy in a hoodie with such quote to standing and sitting on the bus to drinking from different fountains or using different toilets and bars to educating the white little boy and put the black boy in the farm... Yes they fought for such things... I should be the one to say how dare you!

• And yes a monkey is an insult, boy is not.

• I think its wrong on so many levels, racist? Yes sterotyping? Yes. But that does not condone the vandalism of stores or any acts of violence of any kind. Such behavior is childish regardless of race.

• I'm positively sure they didn't mean it to be racist, but come on. People call kids "monkeys" all the time as a term of endearment. I hardly doubt that H&M wanted to make a racist statement with that shirt and the mother of the boy didn't care at all either. I can see where a problem lies and that they just made an oversight but people are just being oversensitive about it

• It's racist for those who look for racism everywhere, professional indignants who made a career of crying for racism 24/7.

• I feel like the only people offended by this are white 20 something students with too much time on their hands. The kids mother says get over it so I won't let it bother me.

• H&M is an English brand. "Monkey" has been a pet name for children for a long time, probably more British than American. The people who created the hoodie probably weren't aware of the racist history of "monkey" in the US.

• a little, and what the actual fuck was the board thinking when they approved this, heads are going to roll

• Oh, I thought that was hilarious. It was racist if it was intentional but I just don't feel it was, but it was rather funny how that worked out. Racists will get a different kind of kick about it but I mean, who cares what racists do or think if it doesn't involve someone else?

• Did you hear that?
    It's the sound of waves and hordes of angry social justice warriors rushing here to spread their unrest and tears.

• I don't give a fuck. It wasn't racist at all. Plenty of my white friends called their kids cheeky monkies and shit, and they're all white as fuck. Literally hundreds of thousands of white families will call their sons or daughters a monkey this year. It's a common name for a kid with a lot of energy. Africans just want to play the victim card and an excuse to break shit.

Can't believe people are so easy to offend these days. What happened to honour?

• The kid looks cute. If you look at it in a racist context, it could be interpreted as 'owning it', couldn't it?

It's like: "I know you think I'm a monkey. Well I'm the coolest monkey in the jungle. Suck it!"

• H&M is a Swedish company. This post is acting as if it is American and has the same implications.

It was a stupid ad for nobody to pick up and go "hey, this might be a little bit of an issue" yet when even the mother of the child comes out to defend it you know it wasn't supposed to be taken this way.

It wasn't racist. It wasn't intended to be so either.

• More from Guys
    85