Do you believe in conspiracy theories? What are conspiracy theories you believe?

I’m not a conspiracy theorist. I’m the farthest away from one to be honest. I don’t believe the US government was responsible for 9/11 and I don’t believe the US government got involved in Iraq and Afghanistan because of oil.

1241

Most Helpful Girls

• I like conspiracy theories but most of the time there are no solid facts and evidence to prove them. I still enjoy listening and reading up them.

Most Helpful Guys

• It wasn't exactly about the oil itself, rather it has to do with the Dollar and it's relationship to oil, or I refer to it as the "Pricing of Oil on the Global market" because of important things in history.

The US dollar was once backed by gold at a fix exchange rate of $35 for 1 ounce of gold. This was known as the Bretton Woods system:

i.pinimg.com/.../...c32166db82c40ca5d7b688be10.jpg

Thanks to the expenditures from the Vietnam War and welfare programs from President Johnson's "The Great Society" this inevitably lead to the collapse of the Bretton Woods system.

On August 15th, 1971, president Richard Nixon had removed the gold backing of the US dollar, it was thought to be only temporarily at the time.

Then because of the Yom Kippur War in the early 1970s and because of the US's involvement in supporting Israel in that war, it lead to retribution and retaliation from those oil producing nations in the Middle East (OPEC), and they all had decided to impose oil embargoes tripling or quadrupling the price of oil to those involved in the Yom Kippur War and had supported Israel.

This is very bad for the US at the time as it's already an deteriorating situation economically with the gold backing of the dollar gone, and to make matters worse there was an energy crisis, at that time the US had been relying on a significant amount of energy imports, especially oil. They also can't keep printing dollars when the gold backing is gone, as that would only result in further inflation, meaning things would only become more expensive.

But this lead them to an idea that would usher them into a new era into becoming the most powerful and might nation on the planet.

So in order to kill two birds with one stone. They figured out the solution that would save the nation economically and to resolve the energy crisis from the embargoes, Nixon sent his national security advisor and secretary of state Henry Kissinger to Saudi Arabia to negotiate a very important deal. The arrangement was very simple. The US promised the monarchy family of Saudi Arabia military protection and ensure they remain in power and rule, protect them from all possible threats in the region, such as their main rival, Iran, and as well as from Israel.

And in exchange they would

1. price their oil sales on the international market exclusively in US Dollars.
    2. invest their surplus oil proceeds in U. S. Treasuries.

• Not particularly.. Especially not the one where the government is responsible for 9/11.. Although I don't know about the oil one..