Does overgeneralization cause a problem in today’s society?

In today’s society, there are many problems that have escalated and prevented changes because of overgeneralizing. Most of these example are about race relations, the most popular being “white privilege” and the resurfacing of “Black vs. White” racism.

I do not believe that all white people inherent this “white privilege” from birth, that they are apparently destined for great things based on the lack of melanin in their skin. It is an excuse for some black people to victimize themselves, give up before they’ve reached their full potential, and ask for handouts. Yes, as a race we had to start from a point below where white people were, but now, in today’s day and age, we are perfectly capable of reaching heights just as high as other races.

My ex from when I was high school came from Jamaica when she was 5 and she worked her ass off, I’m talking A’s in every class, and when she got B once she couldn’t leave it alone. I had the grades and extracurriculars that could get me into the Naval Academy, but I declined and went somewhere else. She upped me and got into the Naval Academy and Yale. That was all from hard work.

Then there is the other problem. Apparently, all white people are inherently racist too. That is a lie. Every bad thing that’s happened to black people is because of racist white people apparently. That is a lie. Some of us blame the white people of today for slavery when they had nothing to do with it, and some of us demand reparations when we’ve already been given so many advantages over groups of people like help with college acceptance, financial opportunities, and loan opportunities.

We need to treat these situations as the individual cases they are instead of overgeneralizing an entire race for something another group of people did a long time ago. It’s like sending your neighbor to jail because his ancestor murdered your ancestor. Anyway, what are your thoughts on these two situations? Do you agree or disagree? Why?
I completely agree...
I agree but this...
I completely disagree...
Vote C
I disagree but this...
Vote D
GirlGuy
1
2