Does culture influence how we perceive periods?

I always wondered if this can be true.
In my culture when a woman has her period, she should just go on, even if she feels like dying. She can't really talk about it. Not everyone in my culture is exactly so, but the most are.

1 what's your culture
2 does it affect your period
3 how does it affect it

Guys, your opinions are welcome. Does culture influence how we perceive periods?

65

Most Helpful Guy

• Buy and read this book to answer your question. In fact, I know the author. PM me if you wish...

Flow: The Cultural Story of Menstruation

www.amazon.com/.../B0045JK6CY

Product description
    In this hip, hilarious and truly eye-opening cultural history, menstruation is talked about as never before. Flow spans its fascinating, occasionally wacky and sometimes downright scary story: from mikvahs (ritual cleansing baths) to menopause, hysteria to hysterectomies—not to mention the Pill, cramps, the history of underwear, and the movie about puberty they showed you in 5th grade.

Flow answers such questions as: What’s the point of getting a period? What did women do before pads and tampons? What about new drugs that promise to end periods—a hot idea or not? Sex during your period: gross or a turn-on? And what’s normal, anyway? With color reproductions of (campy) historical ads and early (excruciating) femcare devices, it also provides a fascinating (and mind-boggling) gallery of this complex, personal and uniquely female process.

As irreverent as it is informative, Flow gives an everyday occurrence its true props – and eradicates the stigma placed on it for centuries.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes.
    1) Modern USA.
    2) feminism has raised expectations for women. It doesn’t matter what we are going through. Childbirth? Get back to work in 6 weeks, or less... painful periods? Stop whining and complaining, every woman has those.
    3) people forget that periods can be so painful. Some woman pass out because of the pain, throw up, can’t walk, some women have endometriosis.. If you are a guy and doesn’t know what endometriosis is, it would be amazing if you could look it up.
    Many women that have it don’t even know.
    Because women feel like we just have to deal with it, some don’t speak up if the pain is unbearable. We just suck it up...
    Not just that, but we have to be discreet about it. We can’t hold a feminine product in front of a guy, because it makes them uncomfortable. Imagine blessing from your hoo-ha for a week straight, with bad muscle cramps and constipation. It’s terrible, and we are just expected to act like everything is okay and act like we don’t have it...

• Bleeding, not blessing... lol

• It's the same here, I'm from south Africa and basically everything you said is true, for the Afrikaans white culture.

I grew up thinking it was shameful, just because of society...

Yes, I've heard of the feminism there. We should have some here..!