• Palestine
    Vote A
  • Israel
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Voted neither as, from an American perspective, it should properly be viewed as a strategic calculation, not a moral decision. That said, your characterization of it as two children fighting over a toy is an unjustified trivialization of the question.

There are serious moral issues at stake, and it has been an accepted principle of international affairs - at least since the end of World War I if not before - that national self-determination is the right of a people. It's partly the reason why the victorious Allies broke up the Austro-Hungarian Empire and it is why imperialism is in such bad repute today.

That said, international affairs are about power, not principle - except insofar as sovereign powers have the ability to assert their moral principles. In the Palestinian-Israeli case, there are conflicting nationalisms, though in the Palestinian case, the sense of national identity is somewhat weak - with Palestine divided between Palestinian nationalist, Islamist and (to some degree) pan-Arab identities.

These splits within the Palestinian community have significantly weakened the Palestinian cause, with about the only thing holding the Palestinian factions together is their ardent right to return to what they consider historic Palestine. In that connection, it should not be forgotten that the United Nations Organization divided the territory in a two state solution and it was the Palestinian Arabs, not the Israeli Jews, who rejected that compromise solution.

As to the situation now, the Palestinian cause is largely over - the media images notwithstanding. The decision by the Palestinians to support Saddam Hussein's Iraq against Kuwait in the 1990-1991 Persian Gulf War effectively ended Arab support for the Palestinian cause in fact if not in name.

Throw in the rivalry between Persian-Shiite-republican Iran and the Arab-Sunni-monarchies (as well as Egypt.) You now have a de facto alliance between Israel and the Arabs, effectively shutting out the Palestinians (who are increasingly looking to Iran.)

From the American viewpoint, that Arab-Israeli alliance is useful for hemming in not just Iran, which is small beer, but Russia - which in geostrategic terms matters more. In that connection, then, support for Israel makes sense.

The Palestine issue for the U. S. is secondary and if - as they recently states - the Palestinians do not see the U. S. as a mediator, then that is their affair and the status quo will suffice. Palestinian options are few.

0|1
    0|0
    • As always, so insightful and informative: explaining our geopolitical interests in supporting Israel so biasedly.

You not follow me, and based on your settings, I cannot write you privately, and you put too much thought in your content (based on years of reading and learning) and wording for only me to see it.
      Right of return is completely unreasonable. What do you think of my suggested solution of coercion on both sides said under Putin answer?

That is what U. N said, and Arabs did reject it. But it is still the decision.

Why did the Palestinians support Saddam Hussein? What was the reaction to it in Arab world such as Kuwait and Saudi Arabia?

• @PeterB1517 Let me "Follow" you then you can reach me. Sorry, but as my girlfriend will tell you, the word that best describes my relationship to technology is "Hopeless."

As to your idea, please reiterate it in your private message. I will respond to that and your Iraq question there.

Most Helpful Girl

• Neither, the United States should stay out

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 13

• neither. i support a peaceful resolution. i support two groups of people deciding that a piece of land is NOT worth loss of human life

0|0
    0|0
  • Well to be fair, before the second World war, the area was from the muslims, and they just took it away to give it to the Jews. I understand the Jews needed an own country, but its not cool to just take an area and make it a country. So im for Palestine.

0|1
    1|0
    • Before that, the Moslems took the region from the Christians by force.

• I support "Canaan", the single secular state the Israelis and Palestinians should form together. Anything else is a waste of generations of time and lived borne from misguided egocentric hate.

0|1
    0|0
  • Don’t think either qualified for the World Cup so I’ll be supporting England!

0|4
    1|0
  • Israel, they don't use human shields, and they don't send their kids to terrorist summer camps.

1|1
    0|1
  • Israel is probably the safer side to do checkpoint work for

0|0
    0|0
  • C

Don't give two shits.

0|0
    0|0
  • Both

0|1
    0|0
  • Neither

0|0
    0|0
  • Neither side

0|0
    0|0
  • lol heartless people voted for isreal

0|1
    0|0
    • Sane*. Palestinians are just muslim terrorists. Read the PLO charter

• If I have to pick one Palestine because I see Israel as a leach but the infection that is Palestine isn't much better.

0|0
    1|0
  • I dislike both sides.

0|2
    0|1

What Girls Said 1

• I don't support either of them.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes