Why is the US so against universal healthcare?

US is the only developed country to not have it and last time I was discussing about it, some Americans called me a communist. wtf.

519

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Several reasons. But other than the fact universal healthcare sucks and creating it would normalize the entire field to that shitty level..

Because it's fundamentally not a right. Its a commodity. A right is something you can impose on another person. If a doctor is done at the end of their shift and a new patient comes in, with a problem that can wait. Are cops going to come in and arrest that doctor for not staying after? Because he just infringed on your "right" to healthcare.
    That's not how it works. You don't have a right to another person's service. They're not your slave.

• Thats not how it works. doctors do not get arrested for that in places with UC.

• In order for there to be strong enough justification for Universal Health care you pretty much have to argue it is a human right. Just like someone like Bernie Sanders does.

Since it's not a right there's really no argument for why it's okay to have a "right" to someone else's labor. If it is a right and that's what you want to argue, then what happens to people who choose to decline their labor? Are they now a slave?