Do you think mandatory military service in the US would be a positive thing for people? Why or why not?

I personally believe that mandatory military service in the US would be a good thing for the majority of citizens because they will be exposed to the realities of the world and how hard work and effort are very real and sacrifices are made everyday by people with families. I think during hard times produce hard people, and soft times produce soft people. The majority of citizens today do not know what is truly going on around the world today and are coddled by the many commodities and resources they have around them. Most cannot understand the hard work and sacrifice that was undertaken to ensure a place for people to live free, have many opportunities, and live in happiness. I think many take for granted their current positions. I think mandatory military service would be a good way for everyone to truly learn how to work within a cohesive team structure, see how multiracial people live, what it means to keep their country safe, and work hard. I think this would make a stronger more unified society.
Updates:
It does not have to be a combat position, but any position within the US military.
I want to clarify and say that I think mandatory military service in the US would not be a bad idea and I think it could have a fairly high net positive for the citizens. I don't think there are many other ways for people to truly understand the reality of the world they live in and what it took to be in the privileged country that they currently live in. I do not think this would necessarily be an awful thing.

2|2

Most Helpful Girl

• Mandatory military service has seemingly good intentions. However, enforcing it may be in direct conflict with the private interests of civilians. The time that ought to be allotted for other endeavors (productivity) will, instead, be allotted for participating in matters that are against one's will.

Military service should be voluntary instead of mandatory. This is to ensure that participants exercise their choice to take part or to not take part in military service. This is also ensure that the unified mindset to protect their nation remains to be consistently upheld by parties who have consented to participate.

4|3
    0|0
    • Tell that to the Singaporean Government. Im due for enlistment next year. And its only for males.

Most Helpful Guy

• It would be a positive. However, I would add, what other countries who have “mandatory military service” offers, as an alternative. Countries with such programs, in fact I used to live in one of those countries, also offers community service as well. So, if you don’t want to serve the traditional military program, you can, for example, work in an elderly home and take care of old people for a year. Or, you could work in a community center for the homeless or work in a program for disadvantaged youth.
    I’ve felt for a long time, The US would greatly benefit by having such a program, particularly because i feel teenagers are screwing their own futures up with their entitled attitudes, and not experiencing what it means to experience self-growth via being selfless and working for a greater good

0|1
    0|0
    • Show All
    • I really don’t think anyone should feel they are stuck in the wrong generation and don’t want to be associated. Trust me, there is no way, any generation can mess up and squander resources, more spoiled and stupid as “The Baby Boomers” they have squandered so much, and basically have got a free ride after WW2 economic swoosh, you basically could of been a millionaire as a janitor if you were born in the 40s, knew how to save a little, you could of bought a house as a bank teller

• Check it out: in the early 60s, you could of gotten a job, as a bank teller, janitor or administrative assistant, make enough to buy a nice apartment in the center of the city, even finance a car, you can have an extra room in your apartment plus... you want to go to school? It’s free. Junior colleges were free, if any one of them bought property or invested 10%, millionaires, they have no excuses

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 22

• No, I don’t. I don’t think it would change people much.

0|2
    1|1
  • I can see where you're coming from, however, I don't agree 100%. I entirely agree that it would help them to realize things, however, forcing them to do it might not actually help them to come to these realizations. The problem is, the only way this would work, logistically, is if the government or federal law mandated it and enforced it through the judicial system. This could lead to a spiral down to an oligarchy or even a tyranny eventually. Politics would become so screwed up and eventually the people, who would be fighting in these wars and being forced into military positions, would stop fighting and began a new revolution. Then we'd be back at the beginning.

We do have the draft, however, so if need be, people might get a wake up call. 😂 ideally, it sounds good, logistically it is chaos. Our country has a volunteer process in order to weed out the weak and those not capable, why ruin that and keep our military from being fit with the best soldiers possible?

Anywho, this is a really good question!

1|2
    0|0
  • It's a bad idea for several reasons. It could also be a good idea, but the cons outweigh the good here.

Cons

Someone already mentioned that the training alone is costly, and many will leave after their required years are over. It's not worth the cost.

You could be tearing families apart, causing rifts. There aren't necessarily us army stations in every city. I doubt there's one in the small town I sometimes work in - their downtown is about 3 blocks long. The rest of the town is small. Families could be forced to move, uprooting everything they've worked for, simply to work for a job for 2 or 4 years that they don't want.

It'll take away from college - less people will go, because they're going to be forced to take a job that doesn't need college anyways, so why go?

Eventually there won't be enough non combat positions. Some will be forced to go into combat. And that can screw with people. I have never been to war with another country, but I was at war in my home for years. The screaming, fighting. How close my family was to dying. It does something to your head. I have ptsd, and many more will too if they have to take on a combat position.

Those are a few cons.

Pros

People can learn the value of hard work, sure.
    People learn to work together
    People.. I can't really think of a 3rd right now lol

0|2
    0|0
    • Another cons is pacifism is a thing and that should be respected. Peaceful political ideologies should be allowed too.

• Nope. I was naïve like that as a teenager. _If you want peace, prepare for war... because weakness invites aggression whereas strength make it too costly._

Instead, public service instead of military would be a far better mandate. I agree that the MIC wastes trillions and exploits political “don’t you love our troops?” flag-waiving for neocolonial occupation.

• No. No one should be forced. It’s not exactly a job full of sunshine and rainbows. Not everyone has the stomach for it. Think about the amount it would cost to train everyone as well. All of that for many people to drop out after their two years service is up. Wouldn’t be worth it.

2|4
    0|0
  • Yes. I like the way military service is in Israel, despite the fact many Israelis dislike it. It makes young people rough and responsible and empowers nationalism which I like.

It'd probably have the same effect on Americans. America needs nationalism and responsible tough youth to become great.

2|2
    0|4
    • But God forbid when Germans (or Europeans in general) want to do that, right?

• Dude, you know how stupid you sound? A mandatory military service means a bigger government. A bigger government is terrible

If you are a conservative, turn in your conservative card

3|4
    0|0
    • Conservatives don't want every single aspect of gov to be small.

• Conservatives, especially hardcore republicans, are contradictory. They don't want free healthcare, college, support for the needy etc. because then the government would control too much. And they want the freedom to own a gun. Yet many of them wants a bigger military which gives the government bigger control again.

• @BeenShook Yes we do, the Libertarian kind

• Mandatory military service is not a good idea. You can educate people about life at school.

3|5
    0|1
  • I believe every citizen, man or woman, owes his or her country at least two years of public service. Having served in the military, I have mixed feelings about reinstating compulsory military service though. For starters, it’s been well over 45 years since the draft ended in the US and I doubt there would be public support for it. Secondly, a lot of people just aren’t cut out for it. I fear diluting an all volunteer force with people marking time and a passel of malcontents would degrade effectiveness and readiness.

2|5
    0|2
    • Why do you feel every citizan owes that?

• Because those who have served the public tend to have a greater sense of community, commitment, and teamwork.

• So it's not that there is some sort of debt or owing the country. Just that you think it creates those ideals in people right?

• When I had a cousin of mine from Singapore visit, he explained to me how it's a requirement for male citizens and residents to work in national services by the age of 16. I thought this was a rather cool system in bringing protective services into light for citizens as well as a neat way in strengthening their country's forces in the case of ig any tragic accident were to occur. I just found it sexist that it isn't required for women!!

0|0
    0|0
    • *if any tragic

It just baffled me that their government dosen't believe that women are capable of contributing. I mean, okay sure physicality comes to mind... but services such as medics, analysts, operators... comes to mind.

• Show All
    • I am singaporean myself, and i wholeheartedly agree with the opinion owner. Also, the system sets us guys back by two years before university, so our female friends would be a lot more advanced than us, and thats really emasculating. Not to mention that we would have forgotten all we learned in school by the end of the two years. Which does NOT help in further education. Im due for enlistment next year. 😐 I mean, im fine with being conscripted because i understand the shortage of manpower faced by the defense forces, but at least allow me to complete my education first! And conscript girls too. The more people the better.

• by the way the age for enlistment is minimum 18.

• No, not everyone is cut out for that and in a way wouldn't that cause a problem cause it's taking away people's freedom of choice? You want the best of the best, not just anyone in the military. Also it sound very dictator like if the US started doing that.

0|2
    0|1
  • I agree with your point of view in that it would unite the people on a more equal level but i dont agree with all that is involved in the military such as there training style and hierarchy, my husband is a 100% disabled Marine corps vet and a lot of the trauma ( emotional and physical abuse) he still has with him was because of his leaders and the fact that they are forced to blindly follow orders

0|0
    0|0
  • In smaller or poorer countries maybe that can't recruit the numbers they need or can't afford a professional army.
    The US military is a non-conscript professional Corp and the best thing is ever did was to stop recruiting conscripts.
    Even Russia is cutting back on conscription as it's so 1914-1919.

0|0
    0|0
  • While it is not a bad idea, I think it should be mandatory for every person to participate in some kind of group like charity or cleaning up rubbish in tourist areas. More humanitarian activities and protecting the environment would be better.

0|1
    0|1
  • No, simply because despite the benefits, no government should have that kind of control over its citizens. That would be like the government pre selecting your job for you- how would you like that?

0|0
    0|0
  • You can't force people to fight in the military. That's very wrong to force people

Shame on you

1|4
    0|2
    • You're forced to pay taxes, is that sovwrong? You're forced to get a driver's license, is that so wrong?

• Show All
    • In Finland every man is forced to join the military and after the service allmost everybody remember it as one of the best times of their lives. Sure it is rough sometimes but most of the time its fun as hell and really makes you a man in the end.

• Consider the vugler display of power the us military is at time, over half of the federal spending, the treatment and of military personnel and how the US is filled with civil unrest and adding a mandatory military service is just. Hypothetically Catastrophic

• I think it’s probably a waste of resources, especially in Aus where we don’t really have a big military to begin with. I doubt you’d actually support combat positions, which is probably the worst thing I’d ever heard, but something like the Swiss army training program. It could be alright for school aged children, like 16 for a short amount of time but I wouldn’t exactly support it. At 18 it’s really not a good idea because it would really hurt kids that had to provide for themselves. I know in Israel they don’t get paid so after a whole long, gruelling week of unpaid work and 4 hours of sleep a night they have to go out and work all weekend. It’s pretty cruel actually.

1|1
    0|0
  • No. The military is corrupt. They also teach you to avoid using higher reasoning abilities and just follow orders. The military is not a good organization for society to rally around

0|0
    1|0
  • At the very least, national guard service. A local militia for times of crisis.

0|0
    0|0
  • That idea went down like a lead balloon... Ha!

3|3
    0|3
  • No. It’s the us not Egypt

0|1
    0|0
    • Or North Korea. I think that the dude is a communist

• Show All
    • @izumiblu. So, correct me if I'm mistaken. You agree. That it should not be mandatory, but a choice. I just want to be clear

• @GreedyGiver651 Like I said in my opening sentence “no, (sic... it should not be compulsory) we are the us not Egypt.

• More from Girls

What Guys Said 88

• I'm against mandatory military service in general speaking because there's many good reasons people don't want to serve and it would go against their freedom to force them to do so.

In the US it's very focused at the American dream, freedom etc. It's so much focus on taking care of yourself and taking your own decisions that the US let's people buy guns, but don't let poor people getting properly health care. So it would be contradictory to the US "freedom thing" to force people in the military. In addition the US is a country with a large population with many voluntarily soldiers and it use so much money at the military, so not only do the US have one of the world's strongest army to defend themselves, but they do also have a large military that they can use to play the world police and mess up the world.

Another reason why a state should respect people choosing to not join is pacifism is actually a thing. If people are against war and violent solutions, the state should accept that. That's political freedom. To people who are concerned about the country not having a strong enough army, if the majority of the population choose to not join, they're willingly to take the consequences.

As a pacifist I knows that if Norway gets invaded and I don't join the military, it would have a member less. But it still don't change my mind that violent solutions are bad. I don't want to join the military although I know not all participants are killing people. I just don't want to support an "organization" like that even if my task were serving them food.

The US's population should learn to soften their hearts and not harden it. Their president don't teach love. He teach biased politics!

0|1
    0|0
  • I think you can be "exposed to the realities of the world and how hard work and effort are very real and sacrifices" without joining the military.

mandatory conscription generally occurs in places where there is a small or no standing military and thus they want their citizens to be trained (like Switzerland) or places where conflict is ongoing or a permanent threat (like Israel).

as there is no guarantee that military service will have a positive impact on a person's life the reasoning mandatory conscription shouldn't be that you want people to learn about hard work, sacrifice, etc

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not going to talk about the US.

No, it's a waste of time and money. We already have an army where there are not enough bullets to train with, equipment breaks all the time, helmets had to be shared and where soldiers initially get wooden mock-ups for guns.

We've got a severe lack of funds and increasing the military with 90 thousand people every year, also resulting in less net income, is just idiotic.

There is no point in military service. You have military service as a way to protect national security. We have got pretty much security no concerns regarding the military from anywhere. A couple thousand are deployed and that's about it.

Mandatory military service just to show people life isn't easy is pointless. It's just a way of forcing people to waste multiple years of their life for something they are likely to experience (that life isn't easy) anyway.

Unless you have got any serious security concerns and the survival of the state depends on it, conscription ought not to be in place.

Every time I speak to my Israeli family, they often express that one of their biggest wishes for what could possibly happen is that the conscription is ended. They understand they currently have no choice, but it's telling that those who do have conscription yearn for it to be disbanded while we in the West have people yearning for conscription based on trivial reasons.

1|3
    0|0
  • Absolutely not. That is a very very quick way to bankrupt the country. Soldiers are not cheep and USA could not even afford to train them.

Just training everyone who is 20 years old for 12 weeks cost around 400 billion dollars without any specialization or the facilities needed to train them. To put that into context, Trumps proposed insanely military budget is 681 billion.

2|3
    0|0
  • You are an authoritarian prick, this is not North Korea. Go live there, this is the land of the free

4|2
    0|3
  • I'll admit, good order and discipline is important, and being forced to lack a lot of the freedoms people take for granted would do a lot of good as well.

Buuut, think of what it means to be a veteran now, all the respect they get, and moreso the benefits they're due... And imagine it was due to 200 or so million people. Respect would mean practically nothing, and the only benefits would be voting rights and maybe

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. People do not feel pain when we go to war, ESPECIALLY those in office. My brother (and some other relatives) did not see combat. However, they very well could have if they somehow ended up needing to call them up. They were still active when 9/11 happened, but I think they were in the (Active) Reserves. So, only if it got to that point where they would need to serve they would've. They had no problem serving in the war if needed. But there were many others who joined the military as active service-people. If you know anything about the military, you know that the Reserves are 'backup". People in office are cowards when they deferred themselves from war. They know NOTHING about losing a loved one to war. If they did, I would find it quite hard pressed that they would support such a thing. That's why we need to bring the draft back but to eliminate deferments - unless it's medical and only medical. And get three different opinions from different parts of the country at the military's behest.

0|0
    0|0
  • The issue with that is that you're gonna have people with disabilities that physically or mentally can't do anything as well as what do you do about people who are dying of something like cancer, are you gonna force them to go into the military at some point or are you gonna lock them up for being physically unable to join the military because you can't have one set of rules for some and another set for others, that's discrimination and is the worst thing possible in a country as big as the usa

0|1
    0|0
  • I agree with everything you've said here, and I have had some experiences that support that. I think it's due to a radical difference between military and civilian culture. In the US specifically, civilian cultures emphasize individuality above all else, while the military promotes camaraderie to the max. The military emphasizes discipline and cooperation, which would help avoid a lot of stupid drama that you frequently see in civilian life, especially in the workplace.

I'm not saying that military service is perfect and problem-free, but I'm saying that there are a lot of positive aspects that are almost completely absent in civilian life.

0|1
    0|1
  • Well, it would be an interestin development.. I don't think it would be terrible idea honestly..

0|1
    0|0
  • I think 6 months in your given state's National Guard at age 21 (like helping rebuild after a natural disaster) would be a good idea.

0|1
    0|0
  • Although I don't believe everyone should actively serve, because of how the vast majority of the population simply can't due to their physic and mentality. I do believe everyone needs to go through the training. The military would be great for people who don't have any accountability.

0|2
    0|0
  • I understand your thought process behind this, but I think it would be a bad idea. Simply because the US military is the best, because they are an all volunteer military. Making it mandatory, would dilute what makes them so good. But you could make it public service instead, like planting trees for the forest service, fighting forest fires, or things like that. Not easy things to do, that would get people out into the real world and away from their comfort zones.

1|1
    0|0
  • No I don't. Then people would intentionally injure themselves just to avoid going to yet another "war without a cause" besides oil/"Goddamn Regime Change" yet again... Couldn't blame them personally tbh tho personally.

I'd be ineligable anyway, but that's a diff story all together...

0|2
    0|0
  • Long-time family military history from the Revolutionary War, Civil War, WW2, Korea to Vietnam. If you ask the military, a draft is a move of desperation because skilled, well-trained volunteers are better for morale, effectiveness and retention.

Public service requirement around 16-20 yo for 1-2yrs in any of numerous job fields would be a positive civics experience to connect people to their country.

0|0
    0|0
  • rofl mandatory military service would be so stupid as to on the scale of retarded. Violence has never been nor will ever be the answer to anything in life. So long as people think it is we do not deserve to survive as a race. there is a reason why it is illegal in the constitution even the founding fathers knew that violence wasn't the answer so they made sure that people in the future could not make such a stupid choice.

0|0
    0|0
  • you know what, it's true. Some people have never been to other parts of the world. They'll see people so happy making $1 USD an hr. That wasn't sarcasm. They're actually happier than most of US millennials. What's their secret?
    stop asking for a quick fix and solve your own problems!! Walk in your own shoes so you'll learn.
    And explore your mind, you yourself and stay humble

Thank you :)

0|0
    1|1
  • No, you don't want people in the military who don't want to be there. What you need is better education system and educational opportunities so that even if you do poorly in school as a kid you can still become a decent adult.

0|3
    0|0
  • U deserve an insult. I just can't deliver.

You have Detroit. Mandate the country take a trip to fix their own shit. Plenty fucking responsibility that even YOU want to neglect. Bakayarou

0|3
    0|0
  • Mandatory national service might be better. Meaning you get the experience of doing a job for the benefit of society. It may may you feel like you have a stake in society, and thus make you act a bit more responsibly.

From personal experience, anyway, that is what happens.

0|0
    0|0
    • The only difference is it's not limited to the military. It's broader.

• More from Guys

Recommended myTakes