Do you think mandatory military service in the US would be a positive thing for people? Why or why not?

I personally believe that mandatory military service in the US would be a good thing for the majority of citizens because they will be exposed to the realities of the world and how hard work and effort are very real and sacrifices are made everyday by people with families. I think during hard times produce hard people, and soft times produce soft people. The majority of citizens today do not know what is truly going on around the world today and are coddled by the many commodities and resources they have around them. Most cannot understand the hard work and sacrifice that was undertaken to ensure a place for people to live free, have many opportunities, and live in happiness. I think many take for granted their current positions. I think mandatory military service would be a good way for everyone to truly learn how to work within a cohesive team structure, see how multiracial people live, what it means to keep their country safe, and work hard. I think this would make a stronger more unified society.
It does not have to be a combat position, but any position within the US military.
I want to clarify and say that I think mandatory military service in the US would not be a bad idea and I think it could have a fairly high net positive for the citizens. I don't think there are many other ways for people to truly understand the reality of the world they live in and what it took to be in the privileged country that they currently live in. I do not think this would necessarily be an awful thing.

2389

Most Helpful Girl

• Mandatory military service has seemingly good intentions. However, enforcing it may be in direct conflict with the private interests of civilians. The time that ought to be allotted for other endeavors (productivity) will, instead, be allotted for participating in matters that are against one's will.

Military service should be voluntary instead of mandatory. This is to ensure that participants exercise their choice to take part or to not take part in military service. This is also ensure that the unified mindset to protect their nation remains to be consistently upheld by parties who have consented to participate.

• Tell that to the Singaporean Government. Im due for enlistment next year. And its only for males.

Most Helpful Guy

• It would be a positive. However, I would add, what other countries who have “mandatory military service” offers, as an alternative. Countries with such programs, in fact I used to live in one of those countries, also offers community service as well. So, if you don’t want to serve the traditional military program, you can, for example, work in an elderly home and take care of old people for a year. Or, you could work in a community center for the homeless or work in a program for disadvantaged youth.
    I’ve felt for a long time, The US would greatly benefit by having such a program, particularly because i feel teenagers are screwing their own futures up with their entitled attitudes, and not experiencing what it means to experience self-growth via being selfless and working for a greater good

• I really don’t think anyone should feel they are stuck in the wrong generation and don’t want to be associated. Trust me, there is no way, any generation can mess up and squander resources, more spoiled and stupid as “The Baby Boomers” they have squandered so much, and basically have got a free ride after WW2 economic swoosh, you basically could of been a millionaire as a janitor if you were born in the 40s, knew how to save a little, you could of bought a house as a bank teller

• Check it out: in the early 60s, you could of gotten a job, as a bank teller, janitor or administrative assistant, make enough to buy a nice apartment in the center of the city, even finance a car, you can have an extra room in your apartment plus... you want to go to school? It’s free. Junior colleges were free, if any one of them bought property or invested 10%, millionaires, they have no excuses