Autism, nature or nurture?

Is autism biological inborn or is it a result of the environment you're raised in? #Autism #NatureVsNurture #Discussion
  • Nature (Explain WHY)
  • Nurture (Explain WHY)
  • Both (Explain WHY)
    Vote C
  • Other (Explain what and why)
    Vote D
I'm diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome that's in the autism spectrum. Before being adopted by my parents, I lived as an orphan in an orphanage in a year. In such places like that with hundreds of children, I doubt they could take properly care of everyone. They were busy I guess. That's the story behind asking a so "ignorant" question.

1831

Most Helpful Girl

• Nature. But it can depend on the nurture of PARENTS. For example, mothers who do not eat iodized salt lack iodine and so they have goiter. Iodine is very important for the development of a baby's brain in the womb, so lack of iodine causes their children to become autistic.

• Update, do you mean to say proper care would eventually help those with autism become more normal overtime? That's definitely true.

• If you raise a child properly and very well, the child would get an easier life and know how to behave. That applies to children in general speaking. Also none-Autistic. But my theory is that some children are born without autism, but is developing autistic tendencies and traits if they experience something traumatic and not being taken care of like orphans for example.

• That is too rare. But it is possible.

Most Helpful Guy

• As someone who is diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Autism is a part of who I am, it always has been. I didn't develop autism, I grew up with it, I've tried and failed to deal with it, Explosive outbursts that I'd rather forget, People that I've lost through me and the autism. Days when I thought I would never be happy because I wasn't 'normal'. After 17 years, I still struggle some days. Those are the days I dread. But now I've devolved coping systems, a support system and lead a fairly happy and content life. Sometimes.