Autism, nature or nurture?

Is autism biological inborn or is it a result of the environment you're raised in? #Autism #NatureVsNurture #Discussion
  • Nature (Explain WHY)
    Vote A
  • Nurture (Explain WHY)
    Vote B
  • Both (Explain WHY)
    Vote C
  • Other (Explain what and why)
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
I'm diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome that's in the autism spectrum. Before being adopted by my parents, I lived as an orphan in an orphanage in a year. In such places like that with hundreds of children, I doubt they could take properly care of everyone. They were busy I guess. That's the story behind asking a so "ignorant" question.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Nature. But it can depend on the nurture of PARENTS. For example, mothers who do not eat iodized salt lack iodine and so they have goiter. Iodine is very important for the development of a baby's brain in the womb, so lack of iodine causes their children to become autistic.

0|0
    0|0
    • Update, do you mean to say proper care would eventually help those with autism become more normal overtime? That's definitely true.

• If you raise a child properly and very well, the child would get an easier life and know how to behave. That applies to children in general speaking. Also none-Autistic. But my theory is that some children are born without autism, but is developing autistic tendencies and traits if they experience something traumatic and not being taken care of like orphans for example.

• That is too rare. But it is possible.

Most Helpful Guy

• As someone who is diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Autism is a part of who I am, it always has been. I didn't develop autism, I grew up with it, I've tried and failed to deal with it, Explosive outbursts that I'd rather forget, People that I've lost through me and the autism. Days when I thought I would never be happy because I wasn't 'normal'. After 17 years, I still struggle some days. Those are the days I dread. But now I've devolved coping systems, a support system and lead a fairly happy and content life. Sometimes.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 17

• Biological. Sometimes it can be a result of problems during childbirth, but more often it's something you're born with, like predisposition to all manner of other problems.

0|1
    0|0
  • How is that even a question. You are born with autism, you don't get raised to be autistic. The only exception where a child could underdevelop certain parts of it's brains is in extreme abuse cases. But that's so rare.

0|1
    0|0
  • Maybe a combination of both but I think mostly nature considering how young most people are when diagnosed and that the general conclusions are that it's something to do with the brain (I've heard it described as the 'extreme male brain') from birth.

0|0
    0|0
  • It happens pre-birth and then presents itself within the first few years of life. People can get it from having it run in their families, trauma in the womb, the mother having an infection whilst pregnant.

1|0
    0|0
  • My ex boyfriend was austism. I am 18p. it very rare learning a disability. My current boyfriend has prader willis syndrome. We were all been with learning disability.

0|0
    0|0
  • They can have the best nurture but if they were born This way it won't change

1|0
    0|0
  • it's nature, some people are born with faulty genes or it could run in families.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's something you're born with.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's nature, period. People are born with it.

0|2
    0|0
  • I have it and i was born with it

1|2
    0|0
  • I hear it's hereditary

0|0
    0|0
  • I believe most conditions can be caused by both.

0|0
    0|0
  • You're born with it to what I heard.

0|0
    0|0
  • It’s biological

0|0
    0|0
  • Nature

0|0
    0|0
  • The Spartan Agoge brings together every physical and mental strength as well as everything a person has learned in life. Finishers become innovative thinkers, prudent risk-takers, and expert decision-makers. They will embody the Spartan Code, a code of honor and respect that breeds trust and inspires action.

0|0
    0|0
  • I voted c

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 30

• I have it so I can weigh in
    You are born with it, but environmental circumstances during childhood do affect how "bad" it turns out for most of your life. I say this based both in personal experience and on studying publicized research on the matter

0|2
    0|0
  • It's something you are born with but parents who work with their child early on get fantastic results. My cousin had a child who is autistic and the last time I met her was when she was maybe 3 years old and I just saw her a few months ago and she is 15 now. For all intents and purposes she was just a normal 15 year old girl.

0|0
    0|0
  • According to Temple Grandin, from her book The Autistic Brain, there's some new research to suggest the possibility of a certain gene being susceptible to mutation. I haven't continued to follow this research, so I don't know if it's still ongoing or, conversely, didn't turn up enough data to warrant further research or investigation. I'm not saying I believe this to be true, but I also don't believe it should be discounted.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nature.

I have Asperger's syndrome, which is considered a mild form of autism. All research on both Asperger's and regular autism shows that the person is born with it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nature for sure. Some parts of the spectrum I don't see as bad. Just a different way of thinking that doesn't fit most of the world. Many of the autistic people I know where great people you just need a guidebook to understand how to connect to them.

0|0
    0|0
    • And with the right guidance you can more easily fit in the world and work with it. But even in a scenario where you have loving parents that take care of you. Learning to work with autism is not a standard way of nurture. I have ADD and I had loving parents but they didn't know I had it until puberty and could not help me to learn and live with it. Now I have guidance and can function normally.

• The environment that you are born and raised in can cause biological changes along with pure mutation causing autism.

0|0
    0|0
  • It’s either nature or nature combined with environmental cues. Not so much nurture perhaps chemicals, impact on gut microbes etc.

0|1
    0|0
  • Biological. You either have it from birth or you don't.

0|1
    0|0
  • Don't be a dick. This is a scientific fact already known. Go read about pretty much anywhere and don't be so ignorant.

0|2
    0|0
  • There are no scientific studies, that show parents are responsible for autism in their children.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nurture. Autism doesn't actually exist. Nurture leads them to believe they're "autistic" and they continue acting socially withdrawn cause they choose to.

0|0
    1|2
    • Severe autism is apparent in 1 year olds. They’re nit choosing to act socially withdraw.

• Definitely nature.

Trust me, there's some people that think it's caused by vaccines, when they don't know how vaccines even work.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's an anomaly of brain physiology and it's present at birth. What you can take from this is that nurture has nothing to do with it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have Aspergers Syndrome (On the spectrum) which was a result of a disorder I have called Phenylketonuria

0|1
    0|0
  • Neither, it's to do with chemicals you put in the pregnant woman during pregnancy and the baby after birth.

0|1
    0|0
  • The disorginaized brain cells attributed to autism have been found in fetuses before birth - demonstrating the issue begins before nurture.

0|1
    0|0
  • I believe it's a mixture of things. Exposure to certain events and experiences in the past and wrong doing of the parent leads to this

0|0
    0|1
  • This is an incredibly crass and ignorant question the promulgates disproved junk science as fact.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nature is clearly genetics.
    Epigenetics crosses from nature to nurture
    Why do we need to put nature/nurture labels on?

0|0
    0|0
  • its a childhood problem basically during development that should not be ignored so parents have to make environment friendly to the kid

0|0
    0|0
    • Are you kidding me? You think people have autism based on the ignorance of the parents? The environment could be a mansion or the slums, but the Autism would still be there.

• It is a neurological disorder that you are either born with or you are not born with.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, i inherited Aspergers from father, but i don't know about others.

0|0
    0|0
  • Having a brother with Autism, I can safely say it's nature

0|0
    0|0
  • The answer to nature vs nuture is virtually always yes

0|0
    0|0
  • Because it's a "Characteristical development", when "Natural".

0|0
    0|0
  • It’s biological.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think it's already known.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its nature, its genetic

0|0
    0|0
  • Nature

0|0
    0|0
  • Well as far as I know you are born this way...

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes