Conservatives vs. Liberals: Right vs. wrong or honest and reasonable differences of opinions?

Will we EVER move beyond calling each other names?
I am a conservative and I believe in the Second Amendment. I also support many environmental issues. I like Rush Limbaugh but dislike Sean Hannity. I respect Bernie Sanders and Joe Lieberman, but I think Nancy Pelosi and Maxine Waters are idiots. I like Ted Cruz and Trey Gowdy but dislike Mitch McConnell and John McCain. All conservatives are not alike and the same is true of liberals.

In our current political climate, there is a pervasive attitude that "we are right and they are wrong." That, of course, does not help to bridge any gaps or heal any wounds. I dated a liberal woman for two years and never thought that she was stupid for being liberal. I thought that she simply had different ideas about the role of government in our lives. I disagreed with those choices, obviously, but I can't say they they are wrong.

How do you feel about the political opposition? Are they idiots or are they people who have simply made different choices about the role of government in our lives?
  • I am a Conservative and Liberals are simply WRONG!!!
  • I am a Liberal and Conservatives are simply WRONG!!!
  • I am a Conservative but I believe that political beliefs are matters of opinion and reasonable people can have different opinions
    Vote C
  • I am a Liberal but I believe that political beliefs are matters of opinion and reasonable people can have different opinions
    Vote D

1969

Most Helpful Girls

• To answer your question: I voted D. There is no right or wrong to me, and I find that mentality extremely divisive and ignorant. In my opinion, political views are shaped by our experiences, upbringing, level and quality of education, our religion or lack thereof, where we live, our careers, and so many other things. That's why I believe there are only honest and reasonable differences of opinion, to use your terminology.

I may not agree with conservative people on many things, but I realize that there's a reason they hold those opinions. I can only hope that they come to the same realization. It's hard to determine that as politics in general evokes such strong emotions in people – precisely because our views are a product of our lived experiences and our personal moral compass.

I rarely, RARELY ever engage in political discussion on this site, simply because I'd rather avoid the drama that always ensues in comments under my posts (I've been called a "libtard" here far too many times and I'd rather not stoke the fire, so I stay away). However, this question piqued my interest and I've been drawn out of my shell, mostly because YOU are asking the question. You're one of the few polite people here when it comes to political discussion. I'm a liberal in the simplest sense of the term, but a Canadian liberal and Canada is far more left-leaning than the US.

• I appreciate your kind words!

• You know, I was thinking about this particular question again earlier today. It could also be applied to the endless debates surrounding other opposing philosophies and beliefs, mostly in terms of religion and spirituality. For example, religious vs non-religious, atheism/agnosticism vs theism, Catholicism vs Protestantism vs Orthodoxy, etc. Regarding those, I also believe that there is no right vs wrong.

• That is an important lesson to learn!

• There are good folks on both sodes. There are idiots on both sides. A lot of us want some of the same things, we just have different ideas on how to get there.

Most Helpful Guys

• None of the above.

Americans are more confused than most.

Generally what seems to happen is that people pick a side based on which one seems to fit them better than the other one based values they have heard other people assigning to a particular side.

Then what they do having picked a side is they believe that whatever they think is what the side they picked thinks.

You have done this yourself.

The 2nd amendment is the right to bear arms. It is an objective fact that this is a liberal position. You and others assign it to the conservatives because you want to, you just decided to do that, but it isn't true.

The left right scale is an extremely poor measurement because you cannot define every political position properly.

The minimum axis is 2 axis, as in:

https://www.politicalcompass.org/

When you try to use a single axis authoritarian and captialist share the right side and anarcism and communism share the left side.

Conservative is right wing.

Liberal is left wing.

An authoritarian state wants gun control because it increases its power hold over the people.
    The liberal positon is trying to minimise state power and control and promote freedom and personal choice.

Therefore 2nd amendment is a Liberal position. As is anything which includes choice, such as the pro abortion position.

This is also why its hilarious to watch Americans bashing liberals and then screaming Woooo! land of the free! Because they dont understand that the freedom loving parts of the constitution are liberals positions. Pretty much all of the good stuff belongs to the liberal position.

• Enviornmental issues are all liberal positions as well, the conservative or capialist position is pro big business doing whatever it wants to make a buck.

• The Constitution initially protected economic freedom by protecting contracts through the Contract Clause. Also, the Privileges and Immunities Clause protects pursuit of work (if properly interpreted). As for taxation, no the Constitution did not initially guarantee low taxes. However, I would argue that is because the Founding Fathers had structured the Constitution in a way that would keep the role of the federal government limited enough that high taxes wouldn't be needed in order to fund it. It was only through misinterpretation and in some cases blatant disregard for the Constitution that the powers of the federal government were expanded so greatly. Even worse, the power to tax for the purposes of redistribution was and is not granted to the federal government by any of the 18 enumerated powers. It wasn't until the 16th amendment that the Constitution was manipulated to allow for wealth redistribution of any kind, which need I remind you was not originally a part of the Const.

• @ShortCircuit So you are just going to run off and cry to mommy?

Suit yourself, welcome to ignore.

There is literally no point trying to talk to you anyway because you refuse to listen, dont understand even when you do and then deliberately talk about something else because you know you are are wrong.

• I'm guilty of my fair share of name calling, but at the end of the day I don't really hate anybody for their political beliefs. I do rail against factually incorrect information when the topic of debate isn't subjective, though.

For example, if you think some of our problems are better solved through a market based approach rather than government programs, then that's a totally valid viewpoint - one that I'm on the fence about myself. But if you tell me something I can disprove by spending 5 minutes on a government website and then continue to argue about it regardless... then we have a problem.

This happens with both Conservatives and Liberals. The other day one of my friends said something about how Justice Kennedy's son gave Donald Trump a loan of a billion dollars and that's why he stepped down when he did. That's blatantly false, and I told him so. Now, I think Trump is an incompetent clown but wrong is wrong.

So, I do often think people are idiots and those people are often Conservatives but I'm under no illusion there aren't a lot of Liberal idiots out there, too. I guess I'm anti-willful ignorance rather than being against one political ideology vs another.

• "I'm guilty of my fair share of name calling," I respect your willingness to acknowledge faults in yourself. If only all of us could do that!

• I try to live by logic and rationality as much as possible, but I do have a bad habit of making assumptions. And once you've made an assumption then you can make more and it all goes down hill after that.

• I don't know why Kennedy stepped down, probably just to make a space on the bench for a Republican president to fill.

Justin Kennedy did work on one Trump loan of $650m, though.

"In 2005, Deutsche Bank and others loaned the future president $640 million to build the Trump International Hotel and Tower, which is now the second-tallest building in Chicago. This appears to be the only Deutsche Bank loan to Trump that involved the younger Kennedy.

Justin Kennedy through a spokesman declined to comment. Two people familiar with his thinking, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said this was the only Trump loan he worked on during his time at Deutsche Bank. Justin Kennedy does know Trump and knows the president’s children socially, the two people said."
      www.washingtonpost.com/.../