Conservatives vs. Liberals: Right vs. wrong or honest and reasonable differences of opinions?

Will we EVER move beyond calling each other names?
Will we EVER move beyond calling each other names?
I am a conservative and I believe in the Second Amendment. I also support many environmental issues. I like Rush Limbaugh but dislike Sean Hannity. I respect Bernie Sanders and Joe Lieberman, but I think Nancy Pelosi and Maxine Waters are idiots. I like Ted Cruz and Trey Gowdy but dislike Mitch McConnell and John McCain. All conservatives are not alike and the same is true of liberals.

In our current political climate, there is a pervasive attitude that "we are right and they are wrong." That, of course, does not help to bridge any gaps or heal any wounds. I dated a liberal woman for two years and never thought that she was stupid for being liberal. I thought that she simply had different ideas about the role of government in our lives. I disagreed with those choices, obviously, but I can't say they they are wrong.

How do you feel about the political opposition? Are they idiots or are they people who have simply made different choices about the role of government in our lives?
  • I am a Conservative and Liberals are simply WRONG!!!
    Vote A
  • I am a Liberal and Conservatives are simply WRONG!!!
    Vote B
  • I am a Conservative but I believe that political beliefs are matters of opinion and reasonable people can have different opinions
    Vote C
  • I am a Liberal but I believe that political beliefs are matters of opinion and reasonable people can have different opinions
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• None of the above.

Americans are more confused than most.

Generally what seems to happen is that people pick a side based on which one seems to fit them better than the other one based values they have heard other people assigning to a particular side.

Then what they do having picked a side is they believe that whatever they think is what the side they picked thinks.

You have done this yourself.

The 2nd amendment is the right to bear arms. It is an objective fact that this is a liberal position. You and others assign it to the conservatives because you want to, you just decided to do that, but it isn't true.

The left right scale is an extremely poor measurement because you cannot define every political position properly.

The minimum axis is 2 axis, as in:

https://www.politicalcompass.org/

When you try to use a single axis authoritarian and captialist share the right side and anarcism and communism share the left side.

Conservative is right wing.

Liberal is left wing.

An authoritarian state wants gun control because it increases its power hold over the people.
    The liberal positon is trying to minimise state power and control and promote freedom and personal choice.

Therefore 2nd amendment is a Liberal position. As is anything which includes choice, such as the pro abortion position.

This is also why its hilarious to watch Americans bashing liberals and then screaming Woooo! land of the free! Because they dont understand that the freedom loving parts of the constitution are liberals positions. Pretty much all of the good stuff belongs to the liberal position.

1|1
    0|0
    • Enviornmental issues are all liberal positions as well, the conservative or capialist position is pro big business doing whatever it wants to make a buck.

• Show All
    • The Constitution initially protected economic freedom by protecting contracts through the Contract Clause. Also, the Privileges and Immunities Clause protects pursuit of work (if properly interpreted). As for taxation, no the Constitution did not initially guarantee low taxes. However, I would argue that is because the Founding Fathers had structured the Constitution in a way that would keep the role of the federal government limited enough that high taxes wouldn't be needed in order to fund it. It was only through misinterpretation and in some cases blatant disregard for the Constitution that the powers of the federal government were expanded so greatly. Even worse, the power to tax for the purposes of redistribution was and is not granted to the federal government by any of the 18 enumerated powers. It wasn't until the 16th amendment that the Constitution was manipulated to allow for wealth redistribution of any kind, which need I remind you was not originally a part of the Const.

• @ShortCircuit So you are just going to run off and cry to mommy?

Suit yourself, welcome to ignore.

There is literally no point trying to talk to you anyway because you refuse to listen, dont understand even when you do and then deliberately talk about something else because you know you are are wrong.

• I'm guilty of my fair share of name calling, but at the end of the day I don't really hate anybody for their political beliefs. I do rail against factually incorrect information when the topic of debate isn't subjective, though.

For example, if you think some of our problems are better solved through a market based approach rather than government programs, then that's a totally valid viewpoint - one that I'm on the fence about myself. But if you tell me something I can disprove by spending 5 minutes on a government website and then continue to argue about it regardless... then we have a problem.

This happens with both Conservatives and Liberals. The other day one of my friends said something about how Justice Kennedy's son gave Donald Trump a loan of a billion dollars and that's why he stepped down when he did. That's blatantly false, and I told him so. Now, I think Trump is an incompetent clown but wrong is wrong.

So, I do often think people are idiots and those people are often Conservatives but I'm under no illusion there aren't a lot of Liberal idiots out there, too. I guess I'm anti-willful ignorance rather than being against one political ideology vs another.

1|1
    0|0
    • "I'm guilty of my fair share of name calling," I respect your willingness to acknowledge faults in yourself. If only all of us could do that!

• I try to live by logic and rationality as much as possible, but I do have a bad habit of making assumptions. And once you've made an assumption then you can make more and it all goes down hill after that.

• I don't know why Kennedy stepped down, probably just to make a space on the bench for a Republican president to fill.

Justin Kennedy did work on one Trump loan of $650m, though.

"In 2005, Deutsche Bank and others loaned the future president $640 million to build the Trump International Hotel and Tower, which is now the second-tallest building in Chicago. This appears to be the only Deutsche Bank loan to Trump that involved the younger Kennedy.

Justin Kennedy through a spokesman declined to comment. Two people familiar with his thinking, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said this was the only Trump loan he worked on during his time at Deutsche Bank. Justin Kennedy does know Trump and knows the president’s children socially, the two people said."
      www.washingtonpost.com/.../

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 19

What Guys Said 67

• Well good for Fucking you do you need your ego stroke get over yourself acting like we should care about your own personal interest

0|0
    1|1
  • I am an anarchist but conservatives are a lot more right than liberals, a lot more moral as well

0|2
    0|0
  • Money, Pride and tribalism. Last 3 things we need to kill before we can start exploring space.

1|2
    0|0
  • I believe most people on both sides are open-minded and sane. It's just the minority of loud-mouthed retards that give the rest bad reputations.

0|2
    0|0
  • it seems most of people r conservatives i wonder cuz i ve asked same question and most were conservative if most of Americans r conv how come they support

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm in an odd position where I lean socially liberal, but have a conservative mindset on how to get there. For example, I think that gay marriage should be legal in all 50 states, but I don't think the Supreme Court should have overthrown state law to make that a reality. This can put me at odds with people on both sides of the isle.

A lot of the rhetoric in politics can be really obnoxious and disingenuous, and people often try to paint their opponent as completely unreasonable and as holding an extreme view that the don't even hold. If you get past the chaff, and actually find out what people believe, rather than just talking points, there are only a few points of view that I find so extreme to be beyond reasonable differences of opinion.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm a conservative and liberals are just children that never grew up

0|3
    2|0
  • I'm a centrist. I think they're both hypocritical fools but it's fun watching them throw stones at each other.

0|2
    0|0
  • Lol why am I not surprised most conservatives on the poll say liberals are simply WRONG!!!

0|1
    0|0
  • Left created all the shit going on right now. White shaming, SJWs, PC culture, modern feminism, no borders, islamists support, and so on...

0|2
    1|0
    • And the right also created a lot of fucked up shit. W hats your point? Both sides are wrong or right in certain ways.

• I’m pretty liberal myself but at this point, I think it’s the 99% Vs the 1% in terms of income. The income inequality gap is getting higher than ever.

0|1
    0|0
    • The 99% includes anyone who makes over 350k per year. The Super rich are the top 0.001%. Including all the self-righteous assholes in Washington and Hollywood.

• I believe both sides have valid arguments and many people on both sides have become very extreme these days (worst it has ever been I think), both narrow minded and bigoted in their own ways. Both sides are refusing to listen to the other nor give them a chance to speak, and frankly most are acting like immature children. I'm not speaking of the wise and good of each side. I'm merely talking about extreme ones of each side, i. e. the worst case white supremacist Trump supporter make-me-a-damn -sandwich type of male vs the tattooed green hair having Hillary supporting lesbian transgender student with 10 piercings on her face who think all white men should die and Father's day should be removed

0|2
    0|0
    • @Filmbuff- excellent description of the two extremes- hilarious but also accurate

• There seem to be more close minded conservatives than close minded liberals. In my experience, most open minded people are liberals.

0|1
    0|0
  • I am conservative and I feel as though there are good liberals and there are bad liberals. I won't lump them all together. For example you have people such as the guy from The Rubin Report. I respect him and he respects others with differing opinions. He's very well mannered.

On the other end of The spectrum you have sub human trash like Antifa who are fascist and terrorize communities during protests. Then the KKK on the right.

Each side has their bad members and their good members.

There are plenty on both sides however that are more than willing to have a nice friendly chat on politics and I'd be more than happy to participate.

I agree with Trump on some things, though I still would have preferred Ted Cruz over anyone else. I also love watching The Daily Wire with. Ben Shapiro and Klavan and hold much of their ideals.

0|1
    0|0
  • We're going to have to ask you to leave. Several news organizations will be put out of business if your brand of using common sense and sound reasoning spreads.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am a republican living in California. I am a gun owner but don’t think everybody should be armed. I am pro life but believe there are exceptions to every rule. In my opinion, we are infested with liberals over here. Yet I believe without an “equal and opposite and reaction” we would be way worse off. Somebody needs to stand up for both sides of every matter. That’s how it should be. We need to remember that an opinion is just that. An opinion. We each acquired our opinions by walking in our own shoes. How could it be possible for us to all have the same ones. Try to be respectful and compromise.

0|1
    0|0
  • I am a Liberal but I believe that political beliefs are matters of opinion and reasonable people can have different opinions

0|1
    0|0
  • On a general level yes it is different opinions based on different values that are personal and not ultimately right or wrong
    But there are also some facts that aren't really open to interpretation
    And unfortunately there are lots of people on any side of the political spectrum who approach these with the never let the truth get in the way of good ideology... And that is where it starts going bad
    Like you say you support the 2nd amendment I am not America so it doesn't apply to me and private citizens here do not have the right to own firearms I think that is better I don't think private citizens should have firearms
    That is my opinion
    It is contrary to yours
    Neither is right or wrong
    We just have different values
    But there are people against gun ownership who lie about facts to support their opinion
    And there are people for it who do the same
    And in the long run it hurts us all

0|1
    0|0
  • None of the above, but they are opinions, everyone should have their own, even different ones.

0|1
    0|0
  • I am LIBERTARIAN and CONSTITUTIONALIST and Liberals are mentally ill.

0|1
    1|0
  • Liberals love immoarality. That's what makes money. Money is all the left cares about.

0|1
    1|0
  • I think both are right and wrong about a great many things.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm independent (am against the very existence of political parties) and am mostly conservative. I disagree with leftists on most issues other than legalizing drug use for adults, I think abortion should be legal (though id prefer that be decided at the state level), and I like the idea of researching renewable energy.
    However, I have zero desire to live anywhere run by social liberals, Democrats, or other leftists and have no desire to compromise with them. Their ideology is corrosive to the culture of any nation it takes root in.

0|2
    0|0
  • I am neither. I consider myself an independent I don’t vote because I belong to a party. I choose whoever makes the most logical sense. Is closely related to my personal belief system and whoever is will to work with everyone to create positive and meaningful change and solutions to important problems in our government today. Sadly their is no one in politics that shares those values. So for me personally and I’m sure for every one in our position... we have to settle for someone... and that’s irritating! But to answer your question their are idiots that are in roles of government. Not necessarily what they believe in, but the fact that they are so out of touch with the every day problems of people they swear to serve.. that’s the biggest issue. Along with making promises and never delivering on them.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think that 90% of us agree on most things. It’s the 5% occupying each extreme that fuck it up for the rest of us

0|0
    0|0
    • Also I think it should be noted that conservative think liberals are wrong. Liberals think conservatives are pure evil.

• Conservatives use facts, liberals use feelings to try & win a debate.

0|1
    0|0
  • As far as im concerned everyone in office sucks, the parties are just two heads of the same snake :p

0|1
    0|0
  • all them left wing liberals HATE trump with a passion so what ever he does is wrong no matter what

0|1
    0|0
  • There are rational people on both sides.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm neither

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes