Do you believe in the gender pay gap?

What I find frustrating about the gender pay gap and the debate around it is that it should be a FACT whether women earn less than men or not. Either they DO earn so much less than men that it's a gender equality issue or they DON'T, at least significantly, earn less than men.

But I think, from the information I read, the reality is that women are still earning less than men, even after taking maternity leave and differences in job titles and industries into account. I also read that women don't negotiate salaries as well as men do. And I am in support of doing something to make pay between genders fair
  • Yes
  • No
  • Not sure
    Vote C
Before you get rude and call me a SJW with blue hair, I don't WANT there to be a gender pay gap and will be happy if that is the case. I'm doing some research and still coming up with conflicting sources.

The first thing listed when I google "gender pay gap" is : The Gender Pay Gap is 17.9% Australian Women's Empowerment‎ www.security4women.org.au/economic/wellbeing

46165

Most Helpful Guys

• If I'm not mistaken since many employers are required to pay for the insurance of their employees there are certain additional charges for female employees that may or may not be taken out of their pay check. So it's not so much that women are paid less for the same work but that they have greater expenses.

Maternity leave and such can cost a lot for an employer. In that sense if a pay check is smaller it may be due to that sort of extra benefit that men don't have. Men don't generally get maternity leave when their wife or parter has a baby but women do and quite frankly... that still has to be paid for.

So again... not lower pay so much as higher cost.

• have you heard of the 'pink tax' phenomenon? it's about products targeted at women costing more than products targeted at men. a pack of 4 pink razors costing $6 when a pack of 4 non-pink razors cost $4.50 for example.

I also think it's unfair on men that they don't really get paternal leave so they can spend time with their children. In Finland men are encouraged to take paternity leave and I think it should happen everywhere

• Well when I'm shopping and i see something that's targeted at men even though it's just shampoo, I immediately think "that's not for me" and only recently I started questioning and I realized "it's just hair, gender doesn't have a bearing on hair types that requires catering to" but a lot of people always fall for advertising. just like a lot of people see berry-flavored processed snack foods "but there's a bunch of real berries on the packaging so it must be a healthy alternative", but it isn't. lots and lots of people fall for it.

It's all psychological trickery that work on people that businesses purposefully use. women aren't being forced, they're being tricked

• They are letting themselves be tricked. The choice is always there. It's not as though they can't help it. They make a choice to buy what they buy. It's not sexist or prejudiced. It's making a profit by taking advantage of psychology and the same thing happens to men in other ways.

• It's not a "fact" because there is no way to define or measure it. It's a constant state of comparing apples to oranges. As an example, you hear things like "equal pay for equal work". But there is no such thing as equal work. No two people do equal work. Apples and oranges.

No two people have equal value either. Talk to just about any manager, and the actual work performance is only one criteria, and probably not even the most important. Most things they are concerned about are not easily defined or measured. This is the main reason for job interviews. It's not about your experience, it's about you as a person. You can't measure that. It's totally subjective.

You can never say that one person and another person have equal value. So it's impossible to talk about pay scale as if person A should get the same/higher/lower pay as person B.

In reality, with a few exceptions, pay is about how well you sell yourself, and how well you negotiate. You could make a valid argument that you are worth what you are able to get. There is so much talk about pay gaps for women, but two men can be sitting side by side, doing similar work, with one making triple what the other makes.

Any time you see numbers on these things, it's mostly nonsense. It's based on some arbitrary variables and definitions, which can never reflect the reality of how it works.

• True. Like they say "There is no gender pay gap" and then they say "More women work in minimum wage jobs than men"... so there is a pay gap. They contradict themselves. Have you heard of the adjusted vs the unadjusted pay gap? I read it on wikipedia. Adjusted basically takes every income of every woman and compare to every income of every man and man make more money therefore there is a pay gap. ajusted takes into account part time work, taking time off to have kids, qualifications, rank, professions blah blah blah and then the pay gap is smaller but still there

Most Helpful Girls

• The gap only exists because a lot of women select jobs which are traditionally lower paid than ones a lot of men select.

I'm an engineer and the best I can tell, based on salary surveys I've seen, I'm getting paid as good as, if not better than a lot of guys in my field.

• Yeah in STEM as a woman you will get a ton of incentivisation to come into the field.

• @Caaarl a good reason to be in the field. I love my job and I get paid better than I ever imagined I would be at my age.

• STEM is great if you have the mental capability and the skills for it. You make very good money.

• While I believe there is a gap I don’t think it’s unfounded or discriminatory against women. When chosen profession, lifestyle factors (like working hours, maternity leave and career breaks for having children) and generic personality attributes are removed from the equation there is very little gap. For it to be called a discrimination gap the comparison between men and women needs to be like for like, apples with apples yet when two people in an industry standard job with the same education, experience and the same hours worked are put side by side there is no/very little discernible gap.
    Why should women be paid more JUST for being women to cater for the fact they want to take off to have children? Why should they be paid more for a pink collar career they chose, such as nursing, teaching or social work instead of something that is well known to pay far better like STEM, industrial work like mining or trade and labour? It’s a choice, and one women are equally free to make when entering the career playing field

• www.wgea.gov.au/.../what-gender-pay-gap
      Causes of the gender pay gap
      The gender pay gap is influenced by a number of factors, including:
      -discrimination and bias in hiring and pay decisions
      -women and men working in different industries and different jobs, with female-dominated industries and jobs attracting lower wages
      -women’s disproportionate share of unpaid caring and domestic work
      -lack of workplace flexibility to accommodate caring and other responsibilities, especially in senior roles
      -women’s greater time out of the workforce impacting career progression and opportunities.

The gender pay gap starts from the time women enter the workforce. The pay gap, together with time out of the workforce for caring reasons and women’s higher likelihood of part-time work, impacts on their lifetime economic security.

• @Wonderer89 that's a shame.

• Even after all those factors have been accounted for one exists.