How would you rate Catholicism on a scale of -10 to 10, based on it's actions both today and throughout history?

In order to answer this question, you have to consider an overview of Catholicism: what it teaches, its religious history (e. g. the contents of the Bible), it's actual history, recent actions, etc.

We are not discussing individual Catholics but rather Catholicism as a whole.

This is how the scale works: -10 means its the most evil and negative organisation to have existed throughout history, 0 is neutral, and 10 means its the purest and most positive organisation to exist throughout history.

#BakedHaggis #Cammysquestions
  • -10 (Worst)
    Vote A
  • Between -9 and -5
    Vote B
  • Between -5 and -1
    Vote C
  • 0 Neutral
    Vote D
  • Between 1 and 5
    Vote E
  • Between 5 and 9
    Vote F
  • 10 (Best)
    Vote G
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• All the Catholic people I've known (which is a lot) have been judgmental af and just downright shitty people. The Catholic high school in my hometown was full of assholes. Last year, the football team sodomized a kid and got away with it. The Catholic school wanted to hide it and never talk about it again.

2|2
    2|3
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • 7d

@VanityFiend It sounds pretty believable to me, brother!

• Show All
    • 4d

@Mr_Smile I don't know. I don't talk but it took like, 5 seconds. I talked to 1 mod guy, told him a couple things about myself and then he let me in. I really didn't want to talk to be verified but it wasn't a big deal. No one is going to judge you, I promise. There's tons of "omnivores" in there so they don't make fun of or judge anyone. People in the discord want to bring more people in so I'm just trying to help them

• 4d

I'm not scared or anything I just don't want to talk. There is a much simple and easier way to do it without having to find my mic and talk to some random guy. And if they're worried I'm a bot, just link them to my GaG profile. I have plenty of very colourful personality, I'm sure they'll see I'm not a bot.

• worst religion to exist. the amount of peopme theyve killed for not believing in their god is unmatched. no other religion comes even close. also the pedos and sexism, colonialism etc etc i can go on

4|2
    0|1
    • 7d

Do you know what religion that is? Christianity. The main religion in the United States. The difference is that the Catholic Church is an institution, and a political power.

They've done terrible things as an institution, but today believers in God that go to mass are not to blame.

The Catholic Church founded the first universities in Europe. The Catholic Church is the highest nongovernmental charity provider.

• Show All
    • 6d

Lol I respect your opinion but try to argument. You don't have to. I just encourage it

• 6d

The institution and the religions are two different things.

If all religions ended up being a lie. Totally untrue. But before the world would have to follow one. I rather live in a world where people believe their actions determine whether or not they go to heaven. At least a couple people would try to be good to others

Most Helpful Guy

• I'll just answer your question this way: I have no problem whatsoever with individual Catholics. I've known many of them and they are fine people. But I think the hierarchy of the Catholic Church is a corrupt, criminal enterprise that borders on something like the Mafia. The widespread coverups of the child sexual abuse scandals, which has gone on for years, is undoubtedly the most egregious contemporary example.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 13

• Every religion is beautiful, every belief is ideal well... If u dnt consider the believers though, I've tried it, it's the most effortless religion I've been to but , it's teachings are modest and just right, it doesn't force you to believe but represent an evident truth. Every content has answers and patterns collides.

0|0
    0|1
    • 7d

So religions that believe people should be stoned to death or should burn in hell for all eternity are beautiful?

• Show All
    • 7d

Maybe, u misunderstood Religion with Occultism

• 7d

Both of those things are heavily featured in two of the most popular worldwide religions. So if all religions are beautiful then you have to accept them in their entirety.

• 4, gaining points for unification of Europe, losing them for violent crusades and kid-diddling

1|1
    0|0
  • Just about all religions are toxic and unnecessary, and just excuses for racists to be racist, sexists to be sexist, and crappy people to continue to be crappy.

0|1
    0|0
  • Mhhh... crusades, redheads killed just for red hair, women killed for living alone and therefore a witch, women killed for creating medicines and therefore a witch, many raped kids by priests, controlling culture and hiding knowledge for decades, some priests taking money from church for themselves... And nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

media.giphy.com/media/CLrEXbY34xfPi/200.gif

0|0
    0|0
    • 1d

When did they kill redheads for having red hair? I've never heard that one before

• 1d

In Middle Ages was common to kill redheads, I thought outside Spain people knew.

You know, read hair is not a very common hair color, specially in South of Europe, so red head people were though to be sons of Satan, that they hair were the fire from hell, that they were sons of witches and bullshit like that.

• Considering catholicism in the present world and through the developement of europa I would slight above average. Same with protestantisme.

0|0
    0|0
  • 5\7.

0|1
    0|0
    xx
    ~ Mrs Manson

1|1
    0|1
  • I don't like any religion

1|1
    0|1
  • I'm neutral. 👍

0|1
    0|0

0|0
    1|1
  • 5/10

0|0
    0|0
  • 10/10
    Orthodox here

0|0
    0|0
  • In my opinion all religions are evil.. all religions are good.
    Some have dark pasts, and some have dark presents..

It’s all about the people.. who the people are is what makes a religion look good or bad..

So if for a time period most people fall into a belief that they need to act and do certain things in the name of whatever they believe in and those actions are awful, but they do them regardless because according to what they believe at that time, is what they need to do, then that religions will be frowned upon in the future by other religions, even if the new generation of people born into that religion no longe practice those old customs and such...

So you see... you can’t simply say to rate a religion over all considering everything that has happened since it was created or whatever... because I cannot go back in history and judge your family based on what your father’s father’s father did, simply because it’s still your family... you cannot judge a religion or anything for that matter based on what was done before or after because every group of people in different times have different believes and while something can be awful today that same thing can later be full of people who no longer do or practice crazy irrational things like the ones in the past did.

In today’s world, full of five million religions everyday a new one seems to be created... I do strongly believe that Catholic Church is the one that welcomes everybody in without judging you or condemning you if you’re not part of their religion... which most others do... they tell you you must convert to theirs to be saved and what not... bs.

Believe in what you believe and be a good person. That’s all. Don’t condemn others for have a different way of thinking or believing. That’s what I like about catholic.. even if I’m not a religious person.

0|2
    0|0

What Guys Said 31

• There's 1 billion Catholics in the world and the vast majority did nothing wrong. Hashtag not all. Therefore it is pure good.
    Oh wait... this rhetorical misdirection is for another religion.
    So yeah... it caused an estimated 100 million victims throughout history. Bleak! Nowadays it seems alright though its pushback against condoms and homosexuality are bad.
    Yeah, I know... there's more to say on the subject but I can't really discuss the thousands of competing branches of Christianity.

1|2
    0|1
  • It depends as how you see it.

If you see Catholicism as an institution. As the political power it is. I understand how many people can feel a certain way towards the Catholic Church.

I just think that the 86 year old lady that goes to mass every Sunday has nothing to do with the crimes the institution did many years ago. She goes there maybe because she loves her God, she wants to be saved or something.

0|1
    0|0
  • Right now, pretty neat, back then very bad, I'am a catholic but it's wrongdoings during the time of the Inquisition placed my country at a great disadvantage that's even evident nowadays, the brightest and most active went away for the northern European countries

0|0
    0|0
  • Catholicism just happened to somehow win the meme wars in the Roman Empire. If it hadn't been Catholicism it would have been something else.

0|1
    0|0
  • For most of it's history, the evil committed by the Catholic church by far outweighed the good it did. However, in recent years I would say the good and evil committed by the church is about equal or slightly more on the good side.

0|0
    0|0
  • 2. I'll give it credit for creating the first universities and the great art commissioned during the Renaissance.

1|1
    0|0
  • Between -9 and -5, a bit good but mostly bad.

Think about all the indigenous religions and tribes in Europe that have been wiped out in the name of Christianity, more specifically Catholism.

0|1
    0|0
  • Catholicism is 10/10.
    (Getting away with pedophilia is remarkable)

1|2
    0|0
  • I don't really care for any sort of organized religion. To me, Catholicism is just a gimmick that makes Daredevil's character even more interesting.

0|1
    0|0
  • It kept some education alive and united some though in a shitty way during the decline of western and Eastern Roman empires. It had utility, but it sure abused the hell out of it. - 5 lesser evil than pure chaos.

0|0
    0|0

They are not that violent anymore as a centrally organised unit.

But throughout history the Catholic church has caused crusades, pogroms, widespread anti-Semitism that it caused and massive murder of Jews, ridiculous exploitation of the Catholics by absolving (committed) sins for payment, the witch-hunts, widespread pedophilia, the Spanish and Roman inquisition which led to the murder of many and forced proselytising.

Regarding its history, it's a really incredibly crap thing. So I'll go for -8

0|2
    0|0
  • Can I give a rating lower than -10? Like -∞ for example.

0|1
    0|0
  • It may not be a problem now but Catholicism has done some terrible things.
    Executions, trying to control people with fear and it's the stem of traditional view style which is very out dated.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think catholics is one of the worst thing ever happened to the world.
    There are only two things that were worse.

0|1
    0|1
  • -10 ALL religion was used as a tool to control people

0|1
    0|0
  • -11 if possible. If you haven't guessed yet, I'm not a fan.

0|1
    0|0
  • The Catholic church is responsible for a lot of fucked up stuff. however I say neutral because there is always hope for change. but the catholic church went way off the beaten path for sure

0|0
    0|0
  • Catholicism hasn't and doesn't take actions.
    The Catholic church has. But the faith is not the church. Just as conservatism is not the republican party.

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't forget what happened to the cathars!

_10/10

0|1
    0|0
  • Catholicism= Demonic.

Don't believe me? Read Revelation 17 and 18

0|1
    0|1
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes