'Climate change is _______.' Fill in the blank?

• I beleive climate change is real and that it is largely the result of man AND that it will be catastrophic if we do nothing about it
    Vote A
  • I beleive climate change is real but mankind has little to do with it and is also not as bad as people make it
    Vote B
  • Climate change is a hoax through and through
    Vote C
  • Other (please say)
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Climate change is real and the polar bears are dying

0|2
    0|1
    • the polar bear thing is false thefederalist.com/.../

• Show All
    • @SirRexington yet mediabias/factcheck lists them as high in factual reporting and noted only one instance of them making an outright false claim https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-federalist/

• It says that they are "on thin ice". And It mentioned that politically, they have had inaccurate sources. That's not to say we should not read it, merely in my experiences we should not trust that site. But there are certainly worse sites out there.

Most Helpful Guys

• Global warming is real but it's not the bullshit that democrats and liberals believe.

Global Warming/Cooling is natural and has been going on for millions of years what it is, is a system that ensures the survival of the ecosystem. And further more it's been happening long before humanity was ever able to impact the environment in anyway.

There are periods that are around 300-600 years each period is either cold or warm.

Cold periods exist to give colder climates a chance to expand and rebuild and give species that thrive in the cold a chance to repopulate.

It does this so that when the global cooling stops and global warming starts that all of the species and ecosystems that can only thrive in the cold don't get instantly wiped out and go extinct. But rather can actually survive the warming period and then once the global cooling starts they can replenish their numbers and envioronements.

Likewise the species and environments that depend on warm repopulate and spread during the warming period so that they can survive the cold period.

This back and forth ensures that species and ecosystems don't go extinct and get wiped out and have periods where they can freely spread and repopulate their numbers.

On top of this there is actual evidence both historical and scientific that supports this.

During one of the cold periods the lakes froze over so much in Europe that villages actually built entire bazaars and marketplaces on top of the ice because it was so thick and strong. And the how long this cooling period happened fell right in line with what scientists found about these periods.

Also the climate literally changes every second of everyday climate change is a joke because the climate is literally always changing it always has and always will.

0|3
    0|0
    • You are implying that what's happening in nature is the will of someone "Cold periods exist to...".

There is literally zero science supporting that.

• Show All
    • Like it says, opinion.
      We were told that by this date, the polar ice caps would be gone and Flordia and most of the low lying areas would be under water this was back around the mid 90's. So what happened? Someone got a Nobel for false info.

• @OldDad You were told by politicians like Al Gore. Not scientists. Try again.

• There seems to be about a degree of warming, but we don't know where climate change will go. I studied meteorology and there was no doctrine that global warming was happening by my observation. They just talked about the scientific principles. But back to not knowing what is happening for sure, C02 may hit a large diminishing effect on warming at a certain saturation level. I'm not saying we won't keep warming, but the way this story is reported is more political than scientific. They seem to believe that warming will happen indefinitely.

0|3
    0|0
    • Do you think it will be as catastrophic as people say?

• Show All
    • @goaded

I hope to do philanthropy at some point in life, and, actually, animal habitat preservation is my biggest visceral passion. I don't want animals to go extinct. I was just being honest when looking at what I think the effects of global warming will be. A much bigger issue happening that's rarely talked about is their habitat loss.

Regarding el nino, and weather change in general, there's more moisture in some areas and less in others. So there's winners and losers. The media focuses on the extreme losers. They never cover the country that got lots of beneficial rain they normally wouldn't when not in el nino.

People tend to not like change. Whatever is current, they want. I see lots of clients and I'll often ask if they'd like the air conditioner on if it isn't and if they'd like it off if it's on. 90% of the time they want whatever the current setting to stay the same. I could have easily flipped that setting, and the same 90% would still pick to keep the new setting.

• When the status quo is a world that can support 7 billion people and may well be able to support the expected peak population of 11 billion, that's not a bad one to try to keep, in my opinion.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 7

• Climate change is real & has been going on for millions of years now.

0|1
    0|1
  • Real, rip to the polar bears... what a sad way to go.

0|4
    0|1
    • I wouldn't be that sad they've moved inland and started breeding with grizzly bears to make a fearsome blood thirsty hybrid.

• Show All
    • In school during the 70s and 80s they were teaching cooling. That went to the side along with acid rain.

• @OldDad Acid rain was real, and it went away because of new regulations; countries did something about it! It should be the same with greenhouse gas emissions.

"A number of international treaties on the long-range transport of atmospheric pollutants have been agreed for example, the 1985 Helsinki Protocol on the Reduction of Sulphur Emissions under the Convention on Long-Range Transboundary Air Pollution. Canada and the US signed the Air Quality Agreement in 1991. Most European countries and Canada have signed the treaties."

• climate change is real
    if you don't know now you know

0|1
    0|0
  • Climate change is climate change

0|1
    0|0
  • Real.

0|2
    0|0
  • Happening

0|2
    0|0
  • Real

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 27

• I will admit that I am not knowledgeable enough about the subject matter to be able to give any meaningful insight. As are 99.99% of the people on this site.

But I do believe that humanity is having a negative impact on the environment, that's for sure. But to what extent, I don't know.

0|1
    0|0
  • Climate change is real... the climates change. This is not some abnormal phenomenon that has just started. It is a cycle that continuously happens over time. The climate is not changing because mankind is changing it, it was hotter than it is today back in the middle ages based on archaeological evidence and no one can even begin to pretend that there were more carbon emissions created by mankind at that point.

The principle idea that it is our carbon emissions which cause a greenhouse effect thereby heating the earth's atmosphere has been demonstrated to be a false notion. The famous graph Al Gore displayed of the temperature/CO2 level correlation in his movie "An Inconvenient Truth" has been shown to be deceptive. The timeline showed a correlation of CO2 rising several hundred years after a spike in temperature, NOT a spike in temperature as a result of increased CO2 levels.

The idea that it is a horrendous apocalyptic thing that has come upon us is a complete lie. So long as people are afraid of global warming/climate change they will be willing to pay money to scientists to research and fix the problem. Between 2003 and 2010 the U. S. government spent $122.8 BILLION dollars on climate change research... those who think scientists aren't lying about the seriousness of the situation seem to be ignoring just how much those same scientists have to gain from our panic.

0|2
    0|0
    • Do you think climate scientists just carve up the money between themselves and make themselves millionaires?

That money will have bought spacecraft and ships, funded research trips to far-flung areas of the Earth and various other expensive, but necessary, sources of data.

"The average salary for "climate scientist" ranges from approximately $30,890 per year for Program Assistant to $90,259 per year for Scientist."
      www.indeed.com/salaries/Climate-Scientist-Salaries

• @goaded The fact remains that their living is made off of the panic they induce. No it doesn't make them crazy salaries but they are reliant on that panic for donations and a general livelihood, and you have guys like Al Gore who went and purchased three giant homes that, while they are energy efficient for their size, demonstrate pretty clearly that he couldn't care less about the actual effect he has on the environment or about energy efficiency. He's just happy he got paid. If he lived his life as though he believed his own words I would put more credence in them... but he doesn't and thus I have no reason to believe him or anyone else who profits from telling others that climate change is real.

• You think climate scientists couldn't get employed elsewhere? There's plenty of fields for talented people to work in, and many of them are better paid.

I know it's a tried and true sales tactic to make people buy in a rush, but most scientists are not sales people.

Compare Al Gore against other people with his wealth, and I think he'll come out pretty well.

• I believe climate change is real but that it's a cycle which occurs throughout time but that we have helped push it along unknowingly.

Regardless of whether it's real or not, whether we triggered it or it's naturally occurring, we should still fight to protect and preserve our environment as much as we can.

0|1
    0|0
    • By fighting to protect it would government involvement be on the table in that for you? such as banning businesses from handing out plastic straws for instance?

• Banning straws? No. Incentivize recycling and enforce regulations that prevents corporations from directly harming the environment around them. I'm all for the free market, but the free market doesn't mean we should just bipass international laws and rip up resources taking them from other people. Nor does permit unrestricted access to the earths natural sources.

I know people will disagree with me, but I don't care. There are things we can do to help, we can't rely on selfish and greedy corporations. The organizations that want to preserve the earth should continue and help the governments. The academic community that works in environmental science should cooperate to help steer the U. N and other nations in the right direction.

Also, let's not blame America for climate change. You want to blame someone, blame China.

• All of the sane scientists admit that it is real.
    As for "more ice than ever goes" I know that is just a meme and has no evidence to back it up. However it worries me there are people who believe that.

Earth is the only planet we have to live on and melting of the ice caps are already fucking up the balance.
    Every month is starting to be either one of or THE hottest ever recorded.

Another horrible thing which will happen is that sea levels will rise and coastal cities will Flood.

0|1
    0|0
    • so you think it is real, but do you also think human beings are the main cause of it?

• We are. All of the antivities we have done has caused it.
      Even just the roof of your suburban house has been proven to heat the atmosphere in summer time. The hot tile surfaces creates the same conditions as a rock desert. This heats that suburb up to 5° c above the surrounding temperature.
      The logging of our largest rainforests has changed the balance of those weather systems. Massive areas of agricultural land housing livestock which release millions of tons of methane gas into the atmosphere is also contributing. Larger human population has the same effect and one doesn't happen without the other. That goes for every cause actually.
      And one of the biggest causes is the burning of fossil fuels. Coal, gas, oil, cars, trucks, planes etc. Billions of tons of this goes up into the atmosphere every single day. The smog layer traps heat in and nights are not as cold as they should be. Ocean temperatures get effected and ultimately this causes the ice caps to melt.

• Many glaciers around the world have disappeared already.
      A guy from new Zealand actually showed me pictures of a glacier that was near his town since he was a kid and then showed me a picture of now and it's gone. This glacier was permanent before! Now it's gone! And that's just a single example.

The main cause IS people and it is too many people.
      There are over 8,000,000,000 of us now and many of them are in developing countries like India who don't have access to the cleaner energy technologies like Europe does and thus adds to the problem even more.
      It is definitely caused by people.
      One needs to have rocks rolling around in their head not to see it

• Climate change is real because the climate is always changing. Humans on Earth are like fleas on a dog's ass. If the Earth wants to shake us off or get rid of us by earthquakes or volcanoes, it will.

0|1
    0|0
    • but it isn't the result of human beings?

• The earth itself isn't a living thing.

Also your analogy is stupid because a microscopic virus can kill a human... So "if you wanted to shake a virus off..."

• @Toad-1 The change has become exaggerated because of humans, but humans are not the direct cause of the change. All it takes is one large volcano to fill the upper atmosphere with ash and soot and the planet's temperature will begin to cool by blocking the amount of "normal" sunlight. There are many volcanoes on the planet that are long overdue for a catastrophic eruption. If and when that happens, we'll be wishing for extra warmth.

@OshriPz1 That's right. The Earth is a large molten irom rock nearly 8,000 miles in diameter. It's arrogant presumption by humans to think we're the sole cause of the planet changing, for bad or good. Thea Earth will do what it wants, when it wants... regardless of what humans do or say or want.

• Climate change is real. While it is part of a natural climate cycle, human greenhouse gas emissions are accelerating the change and altering the climate cycle. When one considers that there is far less ice on the arctic ocean now than there was 30 years ago, it is a major thing.

0|1
    0|1
  • Well for the fact that Sweden had almost 40C THIS summer and broke many years old heat records from the early 1900's. 40C is something you only find in in like sahara desert and Arizona and some more southern parts of America but in the latitude of Alaska? Oh hell nah! And the soon 4 months long draught and our now biggest forrest fire in history... Yeah it's goddamn real...

0|1
    0|1
  • … ''fake news''? :D /// Seriously: it is something to deal with; climate has changed a number of times in the planet's history. Why finger pointing? Better: React, adapt, and survive.

0|2
    0|1
    • So, you're suggesting moving a few billion people to more habitable regions of the Earth that are already populated? If everybody from Texas on south, say, including central America has to move to the northern states and Canada, what do you think will happen?

• @goaded That's not what I had in mind. Migration might be a trouble to face. Yes. But I rather thought of local adaptions to local changes.

• Real, but...
    climate change happens all the time. They changed it from "global warming". We went through a period of slight warming, and now I think we're going into a cooling period.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's about opinion, whether or not we listen to what we are told, do our own research, ir just say screw it, let's have a beer.

0|1
    0|0
  • Climate change was made up by the Chinese so they can stop Americas production. They've bought out all the scientists. They already own half the continent.

0|1
    0|1
  • Climate change is a natural cycle and the time just before the last Ice Age had more green house gases in the air than we do. Ice is inevitable

0|1
    0|0
    • No, it didn't, the current levels of CO2 haven't been seen for 800,000 years.

• Show All
    • I have.

"The longest ice core record comes from East Antarctica, where ice has been sampled to an age of 800,000 years.[5] During this time, the atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration has varied between 180–210 ppm during ice ages, increasing to 280–300 ppm during warmer interglacials." (wikipedia)

"Not only can scientists see past concentrations of carbon dioxide and methane - the two principal human-produced gases now blamed for global warming - in the slices, they can also gauge past temperatures from the samples.

This is done by analysing the presence of different types, or isotopes, of hydrogen atom that are found preferentially in precipitating water (snow) when temperatures are relatively warm. "
      news.BBC.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5314592.stm

• Its getting hotter ever year, def feeling it here in cali , winters are getting colder to. Los Angeles might melt and die next year who know

0|1
    0|0
  • Climate change is real, and is influenced by human activity.

0|1
    0|0
  • Climate change is real and it has been accelerated my human activity.

I gotta laugh at all the folks who say "it's real but natural". It's like they think such a concept never occurred to the 1,200 some odd climate scientists in the world. Like, they all collectively forgot that the Earth goes through natural cycles of heating and cooling and it's a big D'oh! You gotta remember that 10-20 years ago, these same folks were denying up and down that the climate was changing at all. Now it's "yes, but..." and it's entirely politically motivated. There's no real science behind it at all.

Yes, the Earth has natural cycles. And this is different. For every piece of evidence you have that it's a natural phenomenon, there are 20 that says it's caused by humans.

0|1
    0|1
    • That last bit about evidence makes the often shaky assumption that they even know enough about science to talk about it intelligently.

• It's pure unadulterated BULLSHIT ! Heaped upon us by the irrelevant
    liberal left wing media.

0|1
    0|0
  • Is what it is

0|2
    0|0
  • Accelerated by human activity.

0|2
    0|1
  • Option B

0|1