Is morality important to you?

Define morality how you want.
  • Yes it is.
  • No it isn't.

1448

Most Helpful Girls

• Morals are important to me. I could never associate in a positive way with someone who harms children. Spanking I'm okay with, but the moment I find a child with a bruise the shape of a hand or fingers you best believe the only association I will have with them is the kind which will end with me in jail.

• Very important. It’s how you live your life and I would like to surround myself with people who share very similar morals to my own.

Most Helpful Guys

• Morality is the subjective interpretation of good and bad, most commonly learned by a form of brainwashing or social conditioning from your social circles while you grow up. It's your own subjective definitions of what constitutes "good" and what constitutes "bad", which determines your actions and thought processes throughout your life. It is inherintly a big part of what makes us human, or in some cases inhumane, as it gives us guidance throughout life.

• "Yes" for me, though I'm no saint. I give into pleasures and temptations at times that aren't so optimal for me or the rest of society.

I define "morality" as a guide, in the presence of unknowns, on what sort of decisions we should make that might yield an optimal outcome for ourselves, the people we care about, and potentially even the rest of society if people consistently make such decisions.

It is like learning how to make good moves in Poker when you don't know the opponent's precise hand, but can narrow it down to a certain hand range and then figure out whether to check, bet, raise, fold, based on the limited information you have available, to maximize the probability of coming out a winning player in the long run.

• Like treating people as you'd like to be treated -- Golden Rule. That to me is similar to like, "Don't assume every time the small blind open-raises you, he has a strong hand. He might just be trying to steal the blinds." It's not guaranteed to lead to an optimal outcome, but it's better than doing otherwise and treating every stranger like an enemy which is almost certainly going to yield a bad outcome in the long run.

• I also think morality has no point if unknowns became knowns. If I had a magic ball that can reveal the future and knew for certain that robbing a bank was the only way I could get money to save someone I loved who suffers a rare illness that can only be cured by the most costly and groundbreaking treatment, and that robbing the bank would guarantee success and no one would be too badly hurt from it, I'd be robbing the bank. It's only because of the unknown information that I choose not to do so, and it is in the presence of such unknowns that "morality" becomes important to me. It is a guide on how to navigate unknown information when it comes to making decisions.