The moment a mentally ill person gets diagnosed he loses his freedom: true or false?

Time for a philosophical discussion!
  • True
    Vote A
  • False
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Like I once said on someone's question, there's only spiritual freedom, not any other kind. We're all trapped till we have limitations.

Now I think the true question here is if a mentally ill person starts living his life in a depressive state or not. Yep, definitely. See, the moment a person finds out that his mental state is scientifically proven to be different, in a bad way, than most people, he's going to start looking at himself differently. Most people, when facing trouble in life, can find some sort of comfort believing that everyone has the same trouble at some point in life because it's all part of life. The feeling of not being the only one to face the problem, and knowing that people overcome that eventually, gives people peace. A mental illness is an ILLNESS. It's a bad thing and it's not a part of everyone's life. This makes a person feel lonely, they close people out, they isolate themselves.

0|0
    0|0
  • Define freedom? I mean under law? No, actually they have more rights then non mentally ill people (have a cousin who works with them, one attacked her, grabbed her hair but legally she was not allowed to defend herself so she had to just try and maneuver her body out of the way while he tried to rip her hair out and drag her closer so he could attack her (luckily another patient actually attacked her attacker so she didn't have to get sued and potentially arrested for abuse just for defending herself. We have a backwards system honestly). If however your talking about in the personal sense, I would say they are freer because now they know what they experience is not real and they have options, like medicine or also to ignore it (if they hear voices) or to confront it.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• When you don't control your mind of course you feel trapped. There is not so much of the things you want, that you can accomplish and you become a prisonner of the only things you get out of your actions. It is really sad. Mental illness isolates you.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 21

• I was diagnosed with PTSD from war time. It is a challenge to work through, but it is not anything but myself that is limiting my freedom. Also, the diagnosis itself is just paper in some-one's notebook. The issues that eventually become diagnosed existed before diagnosis, so what's the difference other than confirmation that an issue exists.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would think that for a person suffering from a mental illness that getting a diagnosis would provide a medical explanation for what they are going through, as well as the knowledge that it's a condition recognized by the medical (psychiatric) profession that can be treated. I don't think that means he/she has lost their freedom. I would think it would be reassuring that they're not alone and that other people have experienced what they're going through.

0|0
    0|0
  • www.abc.net.au/.../8262772

This guy is free as a bird!

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends upon the situation, if your family supports you then your freedom is not lost, if you live in a country where there are relaxed laws and family is allowed to take care again you are fine and so on

0|0
    0|0
  • Not entirely true. A lot depends on location, and circumstances, and severity. I have close a family member who has serious mental issues, but who has had a fairly reasonable amount of freedom over there life, thanks to treatment and medication.

0|0
    0|0
  • of course - this depends upon the diagnosis and definition of "mental illness."
    for those who must be institutionalized, their lives will never be the same - kinda like having a felony conviction.

0|0
    0|0
  • If a person is mentally ill, is he even free in the first place? He spends every second of his life living with whatever he has.

0|0
    0|0
  • What's is this freedom you speak of? If we narrowed it down to the basics (Life, Liberty, Property) then there is no reason he should lose said freedom.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have been suffering from mental illness and depression since 10 years ago. I am still in the process of recovery, however I will not feel that my freedom has been taken away.

0|0
    0|0
  • true, you're being put in a straight jacket and sent to the pillow rooms

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 3

• Being "Pill Free."xx

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. It be true

0|0
    0|0
  • We do not do a good job in America with people with mental problems but there are lots of good options if family and friends help.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes