The moment a mentally ill person gets diagnosed he loses his freedom: true or false?

Time for a philosophical discussion!
  • True
  • False

423

Most Helpful Guys

• Like I once said on someone's question, there's only spiritual freedom, not any other kind. We're all trapped till we have limitations.

Now I think the true question here is if a mentally ill person starts living his life in a depressive state or not. Yep, definitely. See, the moment a person finds out that his mental state is scientifically proven to be different, in a bad way, than most people, he's going to start looking at himself differently. Most people, when facing trouble in life, can find some sort of comfort believing that everyone has the same trouble at some point in life because it's all part of life. The feeling of not being the only one to face the problem, and knowing that people overcome that eventually, gives people peace. A mental illness is an ILLNESS. It's a bad thing and it's not a part of everyone's life. This makes a person feel lonely, they close people out, they isolate themselves.

• Define freedom? I mean under law? No, actually they have more rights then non mentally ill people (have a cousin who works with them, one attacked her, grabbed her hair but legally she was not allowed to defend herself so she had to just try and maneuver her body out of the way while he tried to rip her hair out and drag her closer so he could attack her (luckily another patient actually attacked her attacker so she didn't have to get sued and potentially arrested for abuse just for defending herself. We have a backwards system honestly). If however your talking about in the personal sense, I would say they are freer because now they know what they experience is not real and they have options, like medicine or also to ignore it (if they hear voices) or to confront it.

Most Helpful Girl

• When you don't control your mind of course you feel trapped. There is not so much of the things you want, that you can accomplish and you become a prisonner of the only things you get out of your actions. It is really sad. Mental illness isolates you.