What do you think about white people using the "I can't be racist if I have black friends"?

And please state your definition of racism, if you may.
  • Yes, one can not be racist if they have friends of the other race/s
    Vote A
  • No, one can still be racist even if they have friends of the other race/s
    Vote B
  • results
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Girls

• You can be racist towards a certain group of people and still associate yourself with them. A lot of times you have no choice but to interact with people you don’t particularly care for or like. And sometimes friendships in general are formed out of convenience. Racism is when you think you and your race are superior to others. So like if a black racist has a white friend or vise versa their mentality is “You’re cool enough in my book but I’m still better than you” It’s like how a man can have a blatant disdain for women and still chooses to fuck them. Or the Same way how a lot of women can have a sexist mentality but still chooses to interact with guys. People who do this sometimes end up belittling their “friends” only to keep them around as their trophy black (or whatever race) person to earn cool points with society...

0|1
    0|0
    • And other times these kinds of lopsided friendships can form when both parties share the same racist opinions and mentality. Plenty of black people hate each other. A white racist wouldn’t have trouble bonding with a black racist. Negativity draws in negativity. So it can definitely happen. But then there are others who genuinely do not recognize their own offensive mentality and prejudices for what it is, so when they’re called out on it they throw out “BUT I HAVE A BLACK FRIEND!”

• Show All
    • I would say one would be an associate of one whom they don't respect. Because why in the hell would you want. to even hang around with someone who you don't respect on multiple levels. That just seems manipulative.

• It is manipulative. A bad relationship is still a relationship regardless. So in someone’s mind they can believe that they are friends with whoever and still not respect them

• To me racism is thinking that another race is not equal to you and your race. Plain and simple.
    But if a black man has ehite friends doesn't sound like his degree of racism should be to high. I never say i won't have another race boyfriend or husband because love just happens it knows no color barrier.
    If you can do the job the MSN gets it or the woman get it. Or to be easier the person gets it.
    Its gotta stop somewhere do why not with this generstion. in our lifetime everyone will be equal as man and women on 1 nation under god.. Stand up for our national anthem. LETS TAKE THE FORM THAT GOT US ALL IN AN UPROAR AND ALL STAND TOGETHER YO FIGHT THE INJUSTICES. BUT OUR FLAG IS OUR CODE ITS OUR TEAMS LOGO.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I think that they clearly have no problems with individuals of that race per se, but might take their wider experiences with that race into account when assessing it as a whole.

I don't remember where I read this, and it relates to the United States, but the following makes sense to me.

"Liberals love the race, but loathe the individuals, and conservatives love individuals, but loathe the race."

Gross oversimplification and heavy stereotyping, but kind of makes sense to me.

0|3
    0|0
    • Leaving politics aside this makes perfect sense. It's hard to hate an individual unless they're a douchebag. It's easy to hate a whole race if one of them is a douchebag.

• Well its quite a bit more logical then the "I can't be racist because I am black/(insert minority name here)" excuse (which in and of itself is racist). I don't think your likely to be racist if you have friends of different races as that then means your dislike of a group isn't race based. So I do think that its true for the most part (but I'm sure their are exceptions). I think what people are doing is conflating prejudice with racism and they are two different things. Racism refers to a belief of certain characteristics being innate based upon race, prejudice is simply presuming a persons character traits or personality based upon appearance or association with a group. I think racism is wrong, from a logical view point, however prejudice is not actually inaccurate all the time. For instance if you see a person who is jewish and assume he is rich, that's prejudice, however if you look at the statistics jewish people are within the top five richest groups in the US and in most every other country. So while its not something that holds true for all, its definitely something that holds true for most. If we look at blacks in America for instance, people can see them as thugs and as violent. However their is two different ways of viewing this, one is racial, its the idea that they are violent and its because they are black and thus inferior, the other is that you view them as more violent then other groups because you believe its cultural. The first one is racism and is something we can disprove with statistics (African immigrants have low crime rates). The second is prejudice, you are pre judging (which is what that means and despite current belief its not necessarily a bad thing (within reason of course)) blacks as being violent but you see it as cultural. Now many would sit their and claim that both are wrong BUT if you actually look at the data, blacks are more likely to be violent and to get involved with criminal activity being responsible for half of all murders in the US and 60% of all robberies (despite being 13% of the population). For the record this actually started in the sixities and seventies as the black family broke down. So if we look prejudging a black person is not unreasonable as the data does support this view HOWEVER the prejudice person will make acceptions that is once it is shown they are not that way they will be accepted, for a racist person it doesn't matter. So I think those two things are being conflated.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 19

• It's perfectly possible to be racist even if you have black friends. Racism isn't just limited to hatred and violence; it can be patronizing, or just superior or aloof.

For example, you can have the "oh, this guy isn't like all the other black people, he's cool" attitude... or you can count him as a friend and still see him as inferior to you.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you have black friends you’re probably not racist against black people. Otherwise it’d be pretty hard to be friends with a black person. That has no bearing on your opinions of Asians or Arabic or Canadian etc... people

0|0
    0|0
    • I kinda agree. I don't get the people who say that you can think of someone as inferior and also be friends with them.

• Show All
    • @ZumbiGeneral
      "think about co workers you may not like"
      Emphasis on not liking.

You can't be real friends with someone you don't like. You may pretend to be as such, but you're not friends for real.

• When did Canadians become a race.9

• This is like saying I can't be mean to women because I have a mother and sisters.
    I know many people who hate certain races to their heartbeat, yet have some good friends from these particular races. It happens.
    My definition of racism is when someone thinks a person is inferior/treats them differently solely because of his/her race.

0|0
    0|0
    • You can't really make that comparison since no one can come into existence without a mother.

• Still, she's right with it.. Just change it to "I can't be mean to women because I have female friends" if you don't like it the other way.
      Also.. It's not just limited to one "race".. You may have nothing against black people, however you can still be one of those people who'd say "All Arabs are terrorists" or whatever.

• You can definitely be racist and still "have black friends". There are whole married couples that are this way. Being racist means that you feel like your race is above other races. If you don't think there are people out here that are friends with someone that they believe is below them, you're crazzzy haha.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's equally as bad as black people stating they can't be racist because they are black.

0|2
    0|0
    • Yeah I'm not sure where that came from. Something about being able to be racist because only people in power can be racist. Really dumb stuff.

• Exactly. All bigots are idiots

• It's like you'd say you can't be misogynist/misandrist because you're married/ in a relationship

1|0
    1|0
  • Just another idiot that the parents threw on the pile.

0|0
    0|0
  • Liking one black person doesn’t stop racial bias.🙄 racist? That’s extreme. Bias, or prejudice can still be present tho

0|0
    0|0
  • That's ridiculous, does that mean I have no black friends I am racist? Some people are craaaaazy

0|1
    0|0
  • It's annoying AF.
    I've been in that situation before and it was doffi

0|0
    0|0
  • I meant to click the no vote because of this damn app, but you can still be racist even if having friends of another race

0|0
    0|0
  • Can still be Anything and Under the Sun, hun. xx

0|0
    0|0
  • That doesn't mean anything.

0|0
    0|0
  • Lmao

0|0
    0|0
  • It's right up there with "I can't be racist, I'm black". Not true.

1|2
    1|0
    • That's false. Black people can't be racist because they have nothing to gain from an institution/system that was created fundamentally to be set against them. Black people can be prejudiced, oh heck yeah, but racist? No.

• Show All
    • @anonuser0831 I see someone's been indoctrinated by the left. Shame...

• Black guy popping in to say you're full of shit. Of course blacks can be racist.

• same as black people saying" black people can't be racist"

3|4
    2|0
  • You can have black friends and still think that they are inferior to you.

2|0
    0|0
    • How are those even friends then?

• I mean, you have friends you think you’re more attractive than, right?

• There is a monumental difference between thinking that you look better over thinking that someone is an inferior human being - the latter of which can't possibly be considered a friend.

• It is weird, to suddenly be out of the racist zone if you have some black friends. It's not like someone is out of the rapist zone if they haven't raped certain people.

0|0
    0|0
  • You can be friends with someone and still think they’re a retarded ape monkey or subhuman or some shit

0|0
    0|0
    • What kind of weird concept about friendship that even is?

• Show All
    • I don't think that's actually friendship at all.

• Not by our standards, but when they say they’re friends with a race they consider all way inferior to themselves, that’s probably what they mean

What Guys Said 42

• It's silly because they might just be racist towards a different group of people.

0|0
    0|0
  • It makes sense.
    Why would you be friends with a black person, if you'd think they were beneath you?
    However, there are those individuals who use that as some sort of a cop out.

0|1
    1|0
  • Racism: The belief that some groups of humans necessarily have different characteristics than others and that this causes a different inherent worth, i. e. inferiority and superiority of races.

I think a person can have black friends and be racist. I believe a person cannot have black friends and be hostiely racist.

Hostile racism: The form of racism in which one refuses to associate with lower races, often associated with a desire for genocide for a higher good.

0|1
    0|0
    • I screwed up. "Higher good" is a literal translation from my native tongue. I meant: "Something which will serve all members of a given society" with something in this specific case being the state in which lower races were eradicated.

• It's stupid. Its like saying I can't be racist because im black.

0|1
    0|0
  • that statement is definitely not true. I have white friends that use me to get better weed prices. and for some reason they always want my power tools. I know at the end of the day I couldn't count on them to help me so I treat my better friends better.

0|0
    0|0
  • The very fact that you are saying you can't be racist if you have black friends makes people realize that black friends are inferior. You will always feel superior to them if you are thinking in this way.
    Having white friends also doesn't makes u racist. But choosing friends depending upon their race is Racism !!!

0|0
    0|0
    • No one really 'chooses' friends - they just happen. And more often than not, you make friends with people more similar to you, which inevitably means that you'll be friends with people of your own race more than those of others.

• If they just happen , then its not about race. Its not like you become friends with those who belong to your own race because they looks similar to you. External appearance least matters when it comes to choosing friends. The reason why we have more friends from our race is because of the fact that we are surrounded by them. But when you go to a place where diversity of people is found then its not dependent on the race that u will make friends.

• I think the excuse holds a bit of weight. A real racist wouldn't have friends of other races because their racist. If a white person is racist against black people, but has black friends, it would pretty much defeat the fact that the person is racist.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a logical fallacy. You can be racist towards a group of people but be friends with members of said group, where this individual is "one of the good ones". It's unfortunate, but possible.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think that is an utterly vapid excuse that is utterly mistaken
    You can like individuals but still harbour negative biases towards a race ethnicity group or whatever
    You can have other race friends and be a racist you can have opposite gender friends and be a misogynist/misandrist
    You can be have friends across a social divide and be a classicist
    And so on

0|0
    0|1
  • people should really to a bit of research and get a handle on the real definition of racism before slinging it out on social media.
    truly believe it would decrease the number of postings on this site by a good 30%.

0|0
    0|0
  • Racism between friends can be accidental. I'm white. I've had black friends. Pretty sure I goofed sometimes. It's a learning process.
    When I was a kid, my mom, dad, and me went to a cafe. There was a black family there. I felt dirty being near them. I was just a kid. But I eventually graduated to giving a black friend a hug. Get off me man!

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as one thinks ''race'' - he/she is a racist. Not meaning that ''dis-affection'' must result from it. I see ''races'' more like: ''people looking like this or that'' or ''from a specific region''.

0|0
    0|0
  • There is a good kind of racism and a bad one, the bad one is when you take the rights of a person and treat him differently in a bad way because of his race, the good kind is the one between friends when you laugh at each other because well, life is short and who tf cares, color doesn't matter

0|0
    0|0
  • They could easily just be using that to ignore the reality that they are racist or to distract suspicion. Also, racism is about all ethnicities so they can definitely still be biased to other quote unquote races

0|0
    0|0
    • Racism is any prejudgment about a person based on their background prior to even meeting them and unfair treatment to them solely due to their ethnicity

• People who say such things obviously don't understand racism, or likely any degree of prejudice or marginalization, really. They probably never will, because their privileges exceed their dues.

0|0
    0|0
  • You can be friends with somebody whilst thinking they are inferior to you. My argument against somebody claiming that I'm racist would be that I don't think anybody is inferior because of their race/ethnicity.

0|0
    0|0
  • People have shallow ideas of what a friend means. Being friendly and sympathetic isn't the same as being your friend.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not true. That will be like saying those who don't have black friends are racist. Racism is about your belief and not the friends you keep

0|0
    0|0
  • That's basically saying "I might be racist, but I've made an exception for these few". They might not actually be racist, but doesn't mean they can't be because of it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Everyone can still be racist even when having friends of a certain race.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's more the tone of things you say then the words that make it racist. I tell my Nigerian friends we are twins but they were born at night and they think that's hilarious

0|0
    0|0
  • This is a common miscommunication I see a lot. What I think people mean when they say "I'm not racist, my [Insert related person] is [Insert race in question]." I think that they are trying to offer a counterexample to your conjecture that they are racist, they are trying to make the point that if they were in fact racist, (as stated in the initial conjecture), then their supposed hatred for that race would outweigh any personal attributes or intimacy they had with their [Insert related person], so therefore they must not hate [Insert race in question].

0|0
    0|0
  • It's illogical. Racism: The belief that individuals of a particular race are inferior to individuals of another particular race solely due to their race itself.

0|0
    0|0
  • The definition of racism is prejudice and/or discrimination against one because of race. How can you both hate and like someone at the same time?

0|0
    0|0
  • That's stupid lol, even if you have black friends you can be racist against other blacks. And racism is "discrimination against someone based on race"

0|0
    0|0
  • damn this racial stuff is an issue in America and Europe since today , like why can't you guys stop it

0|0
    0|0
  • i agree with the statement, but saying it sounds like virtue signaling

racism=prejudice based on race.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I think some white people say this because they constantly have to prove to minority’s they’re not racist.

0|0
    0|0
  • The definition is HUGE! Most liberals assume the definition includes a requirement of oppression or assumed authority or superiority of a race.

Conservatives tend to define racism either more broadly, ie, everybody is racist, or less broadly, ie, nobody is racist.

All 3 definitions are correct, but muddle conversations because the true definition is so Vague. Any word that is so loosely defined becomes meaningless. So any question about racism is always, "yes, no, and maybe" all at the same time.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I mean it's almost impossible to be racist and have black friends I mean you can but you have to be a huge dick and a huge racist to do so.

Because racism is the feeling of superiority over one group. Which I don't personally think I'm better than any of my friends let alone black ones. I mean I think I'm better at some skills or tasks then they, but they may be better than me in other areas. And I don't think most racist people would keep a black friendb around if they thought they were better than them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes