What do you think about white people using the "I can't be racist if I have black friends"?

And please state your definition of racism, if you may.
  • Yes, one can not be racist if they have friends of the other race/s
  • No, one can still be racist even if they have friends of the other race/s
  • results
    Vote C

2144

Most Helpful Girls

• You can be racist towards a certain group of people and still associate yourself with them. A lot of times you have no choice but to interact with people you don’t particularly care for or like. And sometimes friendships in general are formed out of convenience. Racism is when you think you and your race are superior to others. So like if a black racist has a white friend or vise versa their mentality is “You’re cool enough in my book but I’m still better than you” It’s like how a man can have a blatant disdain for women and still chooses to fuck them. Or the Same way how a lot of women can have a sexist mentality but still chooses to interact with guys. People who do this sometimes end up belittling their “friends” only to keep them around as their trophy black (or whatever race) person to earn cool points with society...

• And other times these kinds of lopsided friendships can form when both parties share the same racist opinions and mentality. Plenty of black people hate each other. A white racist wouldn’t have trouble bonding with a black racist. Negativity draws in negativity. So it can definitely happen. But then there are others who genuinely do not recognize their own offensive mentality and prejudices for what it is, so when they’re called out on it they throw out “BUT I HAVE A BLACK FRIEND!”

• I would say one would be an associate of one whom they don't respect. Because why in the hell would you want. to even hang around with someone who you don't respect on multiple levels. That just seems manipulative.

• It is manipulative. A bad relationship is still a relationship regardless. So in someone’s mind they can believe that they are friends with whoever and still not respect them

• To me racism is thinking that another race is not equal to you and your race. Plain and simple.
    But if a black man has ehite friends doesn't sound like his degree of racism should be to high. I never say i won't have another race boyfriend or husband because love just happens it knows no color barrier.
    If you can do the job the MSN gets it or the woman get it. Or to be easier the person gets it.
    Its gotta stop somewhere do why not with this generstion. in our lifetime everyone will be equal as man and women on 1 nation under god.. Stand up for our national anthem. LETS TAKE THE FORM THAT GOT US ALL IN AN UPROAR AND ALL STAND TOGETHER YO FIGHT THE INJUSTICES. BUT OUR FLAG IS OUR CODE ITS OUR TEAMS LOGO.

Most Helpful Guys

• I think that they clearly have no problems with individuals of that race per se, but might take their wider experiences with that race into account when assessing it as a whole.

I don't remember where I read this, and it relates to the United States, but the following makes sense to me.

"Liberals love the race, but loathe the individuals, and conservatives love individuals, but loathe the race."

Gross oversimplification and heavy stereotyping, but kind of makes sense to me.

• Leaving politics aside this makes perfect sense. It's hard to hate an individual unless they're a douchebag. It's easy to hate a whole race if one of them is a douchebag.

• Well its quite a bit more logical then the "I can't be racist because I am black/(insert minority name here)" excuse (which in and of itself is racist). I don't think your likely to be racist if you have friends of different races as that then means your dislike of a group isn't race based. So I do think that its true for the most part (but I'm sure their are exceptions). I think what people are doing is conflating prejudice with racism and they are two different things. Racism refers to a belief of certain characteristics being innate based upon race, prejudice is simply presuming a persons character traits or personality based upon appearance or association with a group. I think racism is wrong, from a logical view point, however prejudice is not actually inaccurate all the time. For instance if you see a person who is jewish and assume he is rich, that's prejudice, however if you look at the statistics jewish people are within the top five richest groups in the US and in most every other country. So while its not something that holds true for all, its definitely something that holds true for most. If we look at blacks in America for instance, people can see them as thugs and as violent. However their is two different ways of viewing this, one is racial, its the idea that they are violent and its because they are black and thus inferior, the other is that you view them as more violent then other groups because you believe its cultural. The first one is racism and is something we can disprove with statistics (African immigrants have low crime rates). The second is prejudice, you are pre judging (which is what that means and despite current belief its not necessarily a bad thing (within reason of course)) blacks as being violent but you see it as cultural. Now many would sit their and claim that both are wrong BUT if you actually look at the data, blacks are more likely to be violent and to get involved with criminal activity being responsible for half of all murders in the US and 60% of all robberies (despite being 13% of the population). For the record this actually started in the sixities and seventies as the black family broke down. So if we look prejudging a black person is not unreasonable as the data does support this view HOWEVER the prejudice person will make acceptions that is once it is shown they are not that way they will be accepted, for a racist person it doesn't matter. So I think those two things are being conflated.