Why are tolerance supporting progressive liberals often intolerant, regressive and autocratic, especially to more right-leaning views?

I mean, they kinda go against their own mantra.

443

Most Helpful Girl

• I think the intolerance toward alt-righters generally is there because of their opinions on certain matters, such as
    -abortion and birth control
    -rape
    -lgbqta+ community
    -women/men

Their opinions on these matters usually lack any humanity and put the majority of liberals in a box. When one basically claims someone doesn’t deserve to be here, that’s not an opinion any more, thus it’s heavily fought against.

Acceptance of opinion on simple things is still very much there, liberals are just fed up with their opinions on the big stuff. Those opinions can’t simply be “accepted”.

• But I remembered when Liberals were the most free thinking people in society and it makes me sick when I see the current version of Liberals. I thought they were the ultimate "Live and let live" and aren't there to tell you what to do in society. Now its either believe in these things or else you're the absolute skum of the earth. Even if skums of the earth arr skums, they're still human and Americans.

• You don't criticise the far left

• she's just buased as hell. bothe the far right and far left are pieces of shit. but the people on the far rights are smaller in quantity and pose no real threat

Most Helpful Guys

• I really like the answer @bente2 gave you.

The German writer Wilhelm Busch once famously said: "tolerance is good - but not towards intolerance."

The problem with the far-right (or "alt-right" in America) is that they throw comments and statements out there that mainly serve to provoke people, scare people or rile up supporters. Only so they can then turn around and play the innocent victim card.
    For example an alt-righter might say: "I think it's cool that Trump is separating children from their parents. Immigrants are scum and they deserve this." As liberals, we basically have two options in such a situation. Either, we shut up about it and don't respond anything. This approach is highly problematic because it legitimizes the most despicable and odious of views. In the realm of public discourse, tacit disagreement often equals agreement. For example when the Germans cried after WWII: "c'mon everyone! We never liked the nazis! We didn't even know about the concentration camps!" The allies were right to tell them to fuck off. If you didn't like the nazis, then why didn't you ever say something? Why didn't you do something against it before it became so bad? So many insufferable lies and crocodile tears.
    And you know how that famous quote by Martin Niemöller goes: "First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out - because I was not a socialist. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out - because I was not a trade unionist.
    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out - because I was not a Jew. Then they came for me - and there was no one left to speak for me."
    Now, does this mean every alt-right guy is a nazi? Of course not. However, the alt right still spills more than enough odious views and liberals don't want to make the same mistake again.

So, the other approach is to respond: "fuck you man. That's such a dickish thing to say. Even if you don't like immigrants, you wouldn't have wanted to be separated by your parents as a small child."

At this, the alt-right guy will then react butthurt and sulky and play the fake victim card: "what? what's your problem? I'm just stating my opinion! Why are you being so mean and oppressive to me?".

And that's the point. Liberals are very accepting of actual OPINIONS that differ. However, we won't sit idly by as right-wingers say stuff that even conservatives 30 years ago would have considered outrageous and pretend like it's "just another opinion".

• There's OPINIONS and then there's "opinions". And to see the difference is very easy for anyone who possesses a healthy dose of common sense. For instance: "there are many decent immigrants but I personally think we should have less of them and make our immigration laws more restrictive because of blah blah blah" is a perfectly fine opinion. On the other hand: "Immigrants come here to rape our women and destroy our countries and we have to fight them in order to prevent white genocide" is just right-wing dumbassery. That's the equivalent of a liberal saying: "we should have a violent communist revolution and kill everyone who earns more than $100,000 a month". Interestingly enough, you don't hear any liberal saying that kind of idiotic stuff or make up lunatic conspiracy theories.

You can be a conservative/right-winger, that's totally fine. Just don't throw all of your humanity and empathy (which you hopefully have) out of the window.

• If you choose to compare your country to regions such as Africa or the Middle East, you clearly lack nuance. I don't know if you're doing this to troll me or because you lack some serious understanding of world history. The two are in no way comparable and I believe you know that. Latvia has never experienced colonialism. Neither has it been bombed back to the Stone Age by large superpowers. Neither is it the hub for drug and human trafficking that the west are consumers of.
      Also, colonialism hasn't ended. Maybe you should inform yourself a bit about all the horrific stuff multinational corporations and western governments do in African and central Asian countries.

And finally, it is ridiculous to claim that we are not responsible for these problem. Last time I checked, we live in democracies. Americans for instance have chosen time and again to vote warhawks and human rights abusers into office.
      Also, there's a thing called consumerism. Where do you think the cartels sell their drugs?

• It has experienced colonialism though.

Though this thing looks like it's going in circles so we should just agree to disagree since I fundamentally disagree with the notion that the people of one country have any responsibility for anyone other than themselves.

• I recognize the hypocrisy of liberals with their intolerance but, in all fairness, they do not have a monopoly on hypocrisy. The right is hypocritical when they say they want the government out of our personal lives but they want to legislate on issues concerning morality.

However, in general, it does seem that liberals are very quick to be intolerant, to be self-righteous, and to invoke the justification that - since they are so OBVIOUSLY correct - the end justifies the means and they will do whatever is expedient in accomplishing their objective (e. g., no respect for the orderly process of governance.)