What will we do when automation takes most of our jobs?

What will we do when automation takes most of our jobs? What will all the people we have no work for do? How will our society change and evolve?

As a pro-progress and tech-friendly person I like that we're constantly pushing forward and I'm fine with automation taking away all the menial shit jobs but when this happens we will have to come up with some kind of a solution or all those unemployed people might be fucked.

What do YOU think?What will we do when automation takes most of our jobs?

112

Most Helpful Girl

• Socialism- we'll distribute resources in a way that serves humanity rather than profit, and have more time for leisure, education, spirituality, etc. :)

Most Helpful Guys

• It really depends on which field we're talking about here. People who are interesting in the designer and social fields would keep their jobs. Designers, politicians and the inventors are the people who comes up with new ideas. Social jobs here are jobs that require people communicating with other ones. Some people would still prefer a human to talk to when going to the psychologist, psychiatrist, nurse or doctor. Teachers are also needed.

Factory and farming jobs would be automated, so fewer people would be working. But if we changes the way we thinks and are willingly to change our ideology, it wouldn't necessary be a problem. Basic income/citizen wage would become more common. Instead of everyone working in traditional jobs, some would rather just do what they're enjoying instead. They may contribute in a charity, have a hobby, join a club, socializing with people etc. Humans are able to adapt if they wants to.

I wouldn't complain if I stayed unemployed as long I had good economy and could do what I enjoyed doing. The main reason people have a job is because we needs to survive and make things happen. If robots are doing the jobs for us and we gets resources without lifting a finger - then we can just become creative and create hobbies we're enjoying to do. It may be a challenge for the first generation, but the second generation and so on wouldn't have that much of a problem adapting to the new system.

It's similar to a 80 years old thinking that learning computers are more difficult than an average 15 - 20 years old person. That's just my theory.

• And people have been asking this question for how long? It hasn't happened yet. The Luddites were breaking machines 200 years ago. People still have jobs.

My bigger concern is not the elimination of jobs, but the decrease in options. In first world countries especially, we've already seen a huge shift from agrarian, to industrial, to technical and service. Tradesmen have been given second rate status. So what happens if the trades are given third rate status? Will they no longer be a viable choice?

• This argument is stupid. A modern automated robot can do magnitudes more than any machine from few 100 years ago. Technology has started to evolve ridicolously fast in just the last 50-100 years and keeps doing so. To compare it to earöy industrialization and such is just fallacious.

• I worked for a company that made automated systems. They had 18 processors each, and automated what used to be done by a bunch of women doing repetitive tasks. Our first large sale was for nine systems, each of which could do the work of a couple dozen workers.

The buyer had been a previous customer, and I was pretty familiar with them. The building where I installed the systems used to have a couple dozen cars in the parking lot. The first day when the system went on line, I showed up seeing maybe 5 cars in the lot. I thought "oh shit, all those people lost their jobs".

• I later found out that most got moved to other parts of the plant. I trained four of them to operate the new systems. Only two got laid off. It was still not a loss of two jobs, because you have to take into account my job, and my co-workers. These nine machines which could do the work of a couple hundred people, resulted in *NO* net loss of jobs.

I started working in engineering when I still used a slide rule. I did all my drawings by hand. I used no electronic equipment whatsoever. It was another decade before desktop computers were a regular sight in the office. I watched all of this happen, and worked on the design of much of it. There has been no net loss of jobs, only a shift from one thing to another.