Should healthcare be a right or a service?

• It should be a right, obviously.
  • It should be a service, obviously.
  • The two aren’t mutually exclusive.
    Vote C
  • Other
    Vote D

37100

Most Helpful Girls

• Its hard to say. For the most part I look at things like the crazy price for an epi pen or insulin and im gobsmacked that these people pay so much just to assure that they can stay alive, and thats not right.

But on the other hand i dont wanna pay for some old geezers Viagra and i know other people dont want to pay for my birth control. Or maybe someone doesn't want to pay for narcan for people who OD.

But when i look at the overall picture, I'm fine with my tax money buying a boner if it means someone else can be assured chemo, dialysis, insulin or whatever.

• " the crazy price"
      That is a result of government regulations that restrict competition. Prices for many medications could drop by half, even 90% in some cases, overnight with a vote of congress and the stroke of a pen.

• You conclude "thats not right." But the REASON why those things cost so much is because of government regulation. The high prices are not the result of a free market, but a government controlled one, a government that specifically increases the costs to consumers for the benefit of favored cronies.

Those people who want nationalized healthcare are asking for MORE regulation, which is what drives up the prices in the first place.

• @WalterRadio I redirect you back to my original post

• It should be a right , yes. If everyone who uses it pays a little bit in each month to cover each other then it works as an insurance policy to enable the poorest and most needy to have access to all medical treatment required. It reduces any health inequality, and in a world where that can be provided why should we say no just because of money and greed? It’s ridiculous! It’s not black and white, no. But ultimately when it comes down to it, regardless of all other complex issues involved, it CAN work, and there’s no reason it shouldn’t. Tax based healthcare systems are proved to work best in so many ways.

• there's one issue, when government invests in such things the prices tend to stay high because there's going to be no competition, when it does become competitive prices of such services lower quite a significant amount.

• You’ve told me nothing I’m not aware of so far and I feel you’re misusing the point. I’m extremely busy at the moment but if you want to continue the debate you’ll have to wait to let me get back to you on it.

• *missing

Most Helpful Guys

• I sees it as a right and is a big supporter of universal healthcare. There would always be people who are either born disabled or sick - and people who becomes either sick or disabled later on; both children and adults. People don't choose to get cancer, paralyzed or any other forms of medical conditions. Sometimes people can't work because of their health and therefor their income would be much lower than what it would be if they could work. Some would never be able to work anymore because their conditions are permanent.

So if the healthcare system isn't universal, not everyone can afford a properly and good healthcare. People would either go bankrupt or both bankrupt and die. The gap between rich and poor would get a lot bigger. They can't be depended on charity only because if there are no government in the picture, there wouldn't be enough to help everyone. It's too few people who does charity to it being effective enough on a big enough scale. When the government are controlling the taxes and distributes it - it would reach more people because it has more power. Private persons or commoners don't have the same opportunity to do so.

A good healthcare for everyone would bettering people's well-being and therefor it should be a right. If it's possible to reduce someone's suffering, then we should try to do something.

The next injured or sick person could be me, you, your parents, your siblings, your children or your dear neighbor. It can affect us all, so working together as a community isn't a dumb idea in my opinion.

• I think we should have healthcare for all, but it should NEVER be called a right. Calling something a right means you have to make it someone's responseablty to follow and insure that right. This would effectively enslave doctors, and if people stop becoming doctors by their own will you must force people to become a doctor to fulfill that right. A right has very real, legal obligations that we can't willy nilly be determinibg everything as. Think of it like this, rights are used to allow freedom, if you are dropped into the woods and are told that you have the freedom of speech, well you can yell and fulfill it. But if you say you have the right to a house, and look around, a house will not.

• The legally binding meaning of the word "right" is not the same in America as it is in Norway. In America the best term to match Norways word is "goverment assisted privilege" as odd as that may sound. And i would support having a government assisted privilege of healthcare. Using the word right in America is mainly different due to our constitution and it's orgins.

• @TacoFamine, I've experienced confusion and misunderstanding earlier on GAG because of in my country we're using the language different about things than Americans do.

• This issue is uber complex, so many moving parts that not many people have knowledge on. I think what I’ve seen is that many people instinctively or inherently feel healthcare should be a right, yet there’s surely much more going on that furthers this topic more into ambiguity than simply an issue of black and white. If I had to talk on this issue, I’m leaning more towards health care being a right than just a service. Again, I have no knowledge on this matter so, I’m just going on pure feeling or instinct. There’s a lot of questions to be asked like what quality of healthcare? What is included in the umbrella term “healthcare?”, and much much more