Do you think colourism in the black community is real?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• "My skin color and particular mole configuration is not represented in European or Asian media." Jeez.

But yeah, it is true that light skin is considered an ideal trait in India, and also in ancient China and Japan up to today. You see the qinglou nvzi and geishas which are painted up to be basically as white as this background.

Maybe light skin is just more attractive to people, naturally? What other reason would various cultures around the world have thousands of years of history of desiring lighter skinned women?

It's also true that there are many traits that are just more attractive than other traits. Some traits are more desirable than others, would you not agree? Sorry, that is biology. Why aren't short guys ever represented in the media? Is that women damaging men?

That isn't men causing women damage. That is biology and genetics causing women damage. Not everyone can be desired. This is a biological competition.

No, no, no. They're not trying to just be "valid". They are whining that they should be more fuckable and more desired. Well then work on yourself. If you've got a disadvantage, then grow and become desirable in other ways. Don't whine and moan "woe is me, everyone should be attracted to me."

1|0
    0|0
  • I think colorism can be as real as racism and other types of bullying. People through history have always bullied other people for the way they looks and the way they're.

Colorism isn't a black or Asian-community thing. Like regular racism and bullying it exists among all races. Racism and colorism goes both ways. Colorism was a thing among whites too. Whites have different shades too like brown people. Example blondes, redheads, hazel and light-brunettes. In some areas redheads was rare and seen as weird. If the majority in an area was blonde for example and saw a redhead, they could use him/her as a scapegoat. It's not only in the past in the witch hunt times the redheads were discriminated, but in more modern time they've been bullied too - in school for instance.

Other types of white people may also be teased for the way they looks. Regular blonde people are darker than those one with albino, so people with albino would still stand out and risk being bullied for their appearances. Most white people have either blue, gray, green or hazel eyes and blonde, orange, hazel or light-brown hair. Blondes also often have some brownish colors in their hair. Albinos often have light-yellow or whitish hair and lighter blue or purple eyes.

Some whites also teased biracial people; half-white and "half-colored" people. Many of these biracial people would nowadays be considered as white-passing in the US. But they would still stand out in a white-majority society. Especially in the north. I've met one of those and she was called the n-word once.

Since I've grown up in Scandinavia and learned about Nordic history, therefor I can tell that colorism isn't a black or Asian-thing only. Why I used albinos, gingers and biracial people as examples is because they're rarest among whites and more likely to stand out. Regular medium blonde is most common.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes, it is real. There is a lot of things you may miss if you aren't paying attention. Darker skinned people may be shamed by people of their own race, for being dark, sometimes even for having common characteristics for this race, such as frizzy hair. Look in clothing magazines, people of color are now being represented more, but mostly by people who are light skinned! There is a lot of pressure in some places to lighten skin and straighten hair. It's very sad, that people of your own race will say "you need to do this, or you aren't pretty".

0|0
    0|0
  • It's real. And this is coming from a white girl looking in. What it comes down to as horribly simple as it is, is that lighter-skinned people of color generally are considered more attractive than their darker counterparts, and honestly I think in most cases, they are. This isn't because I'm such racist cracker bitch, but because lighter skin is a general result of race mixing. People that are biracial are proven to be both aesthetically and scientifically attractive than any person that is "purebred" because it widens the gene pool and genetically creates healthier and therefore more symmetrical and highly stylized features. It's not that I don't find darker POC unattractive, I've been with more WOC and MOC who are dark than light because I PERSONALLY find them attractive, but the general community and culture we live in today do not see eye to eye with me.

Simply put, people who are perceived as attractive are treated better. I think it's not something you can justify but it's true.

1|1
    3|1
    • Darker-skinned women are more attractive. I know that, because I feel more attraction to them. Therefore, you are wrong.

Do you see how stupid your claim is in that context?

• Most halfies range from average to strait up ugly as sh*t, So cool it with the bi-racial supremacy nonsense.

• It’s true guys

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 44

• White women wants to be black and black women wants to be white, and Asian women wants to be white. Only American indians are true to themself. This is becoming hilarious.

3|1
    4|0
    • Black women definitely don’t want to be white 😂😂💯

• Show All
    • Oh no no
      I never wanted to be white. XD
      I'm grateful to be alive, and in good health. That's just ridiculous. O. O

• @xEmmorixX I know right? I am glad we agree on that subject. :)

• Jesus we need another pandemic or better world war. You see that people have too much free time on their hands and no real problems + stupid people get too much attention and voice for themselfs.

1|1
    0|0
  • no matter the attempts to accommodate all, there will ALWAYS be someone who is butt hurt, mad at the world, and looking for someone with whom to commiserate. this is the very bs that equality is supposed to avoid, not create.

1|0
    1|1
  • So it's different from racism because it specifically refers to darker skin tones. Sounds like a load of shit if you like me. But shit is dark in color so was that an example of colorism?

In reality, people are more likely to discriminate against beliefs and cultures rather than skin tone.

0|0
    0|0
  • It can be but I see dark skin kids and dark skin women with black men all the time soI don't know what's the problem, it seems like y'all make the amount of black men who like light skin more than dark skin bigger than it really is. Besides women of all races have never had a broader spectrum of what they view as attractive , like for instance there are men who are chubby chasers who love obese women, there's no women out there that like obese men unless 1, he's rich 2 She's obese too.

0|0
    0|0
  • "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - MLK

0|1
    0|0
  • Think? I have seen it in action. My wife has what I consider the most beautiful of complexions, very close to 85% cacao chocolate. I have seen how has been treated because she wasn't a high yaller or cafe-au-lait. Even the cinnamons and milk chocolates got preference over her.

0|0
    0|0
  • I always find it hilarious when blacks and other minorities criticize each other for not being black enough. And at least they're leaving us whites alone.

0|1
    1|0
  • I've certainly seen evidence of it and I think a good way to help mitigate and start overcoming it is a healthy dose of not giving a damn.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I think there are quite a few black people that care too much about the color of their skin and other people's skin when instead they should be judging others by their individual actions and character.

0|0
    0|0
  • Oh look. Something else which affects a minority who feel victimised.

Honestly, can these people just think about things for just a little bit first?
    Just a little bit?

1|0
    2|1
  • Exists but black women seriously need to stop obsessing over it.

2|2
    6|0
  • I couldn't care less.

I think this planet has a enough things for boring, uptight, anal, hypersensitive freaks to be "offended" about.

Oh dear, now we can be outraged and offended over makeup bias.

My gosh this generation is the most offended, outrage, "VICTIM", no sense of humor bunch of pansies imaginable.

My gosh these people are boring. Who would ever want to hang out with a class of people that are so uptight and ready to play the offended victim over EVERYTHING.

Now, it's makeup?

My gosh this generation is uptight.

I couldn't care less about the poor "VICTIMS" of makeup "DISCRIMINATION". What a hard life you have.

1|1
    2|0
  • YES. Very much so. And not just in the Black community.
    In the South Asian and Latin American community as well

0|2
    0|0
    • Do you also think that happens among West Asians who are Turks, Iranians, Arabs, Jews and Caucasus people? I have never paid attention before so I could not observe whether it happens often or not.

• Show All
    • @mdn12345 Yeah, so much love for Palestine, so much hatred for Israelis and Christians. It surprises me especially since her mother is Armenian.

• Interesting in fact.

• i did not know that was a thing. learn something new everyday. In my mostly white community you get made fun of if you are too pale or blotchy but its just jokes & we all laugh about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's a fair term. Because the people on about it are not saying that darker skinned girls are a subspecies or inferior intellectually or all the usual long since debunked pseudo-science that comes along with genuine racism. It's literally just about them not being the color they find desirable, even if the person on about it is the same color.

Not so much racism as it is a knock-on effect of globalism. The world is incredibly interconnected now. People that might seem more exotic and and therefore more appealing are more accessible and even obtainable than they would have been even 50 years ago.

0|0
    0|0
  • It doesn't matter whether we "think" it's real or not-- it's real.

3|1
    1|0
  • it seems to be a competition on being the greatest victim...
    seriously, why have everyone gone crazy these days?

0|0
    0|0
  • I think that people will ALWAYS find a new issue to be offended by

1|0
    1|0
  • all i hear is WAHHH im a victim, here is my victim card..

1|0
    1|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 29

• Yes, it's real in many communities of color, not just among blacks.

2|2
    1|0
    • It has also been a thing among whites. You didn't need to be biracial to stand out and be teased for it. Gingers and albinos have also been teased.

• Quite true.

• I was gonna come annoyed. I'm debating the term itself, but the concept I can understand a bit. Considering the fact my boyfriend recently told me he adores the fact that I'm light skinned. And he's not fond of super dark women when it comes to attraction.

0|0
    0|0
  • issa fact-black people, Asian people, white people... everyone goes gaga over one thing while putting another down

it's so weird how the women basically all agree that colorism is real in the black community (and beyond) but many of the men are pointing the fingers at black people and saying they just want to be victims... brah...

1|1
    0|0
    • Men are more straight to the fact, and they can't perceive the emotional factor that comes out of a situation or issue. That's why all the men are saying it's not real because they don't SEE it, but the women have experienced it the most with the pressure on being beautiful.

• @JanetJa I think it's because most of the guys on here are white... some fingers are accusing black people in general and it's very sad bc that's not what this question is about at all

• Jesus we need another pandemic or better world war. You see that people have too much free time on their hands and no real problems + stupid people get too much attention and voice for themselfs. It's real. my boyfriend likes light skins (he's dark skinned) and I'm insecure that I'm not light enough for himSo called "colorism" is nothing more than personal preference. Trying to make it an "ism" is like trying to make heterosexuality sexism. I couldn't care less.

I think this planet has a enough things for boring, uptight, anal, hypersensitive freaks to be "offended" about.

Oh dear, now we can be outraged and offended over makeup bias.

My gosh this generation is the most offended, outrage, "VICTIM", no sense of humor bunch of pansies imaginable.

My gosh these people are boring. Who would ever want to hang out with a class of people that are so uptight and ready to play the offended victim over EVERYTHING.

Now, it's makeup?

My gosh this generation is uptight.

I couldn't care less about the poor "VICTIMS" of makeup "DISCRIMINATION". What a hard life you have.

0|0
    0|0
  • Lmfaoooo What the fuck did I just watch? I would have told them all to fuck off and make a straight line OUT OF THE DOOR. No it's not real it's just people want to play the victim card all the time. Not my fault that mommy and daddy didn't love you enough or give you hugs. This is utter nonsense.

1|1
    1|0
  • Colorism is real everywhere thanks to colonization.

3|1
    3|1
    • You'd think, but historical investigation shows otherwise. Yes, colorism is everywhere, but it is actually older than colonialism in most regions outside sub-Saharan Africa. The tradition of a "light" nobility and a "dark" laboring class is thousands of years old around the world.

• It's not because of colonization, honey. Stop blaming everything on that shit and take a step out of your box.

• @JanetJa You can really get off of my post with the hostility, pressed hoe

• I know its real. I’ve experienced. I think dark girls probably have it the worst though. All this light skin vs dark skin stuff is just a mess. We’re all in the same boat anyways...

0|1
    0|0
  • Colorism in general is a thing. Colorism within the black community is a big issue. You don't have to be apart of the black community to see that either.

1|0
    0|0
  • Have a confidence and let go of those people as a lover who is not wanting black people as a lover. Keep those n love those who r supporting ur cause.

0|0
    0|0
  • Do you think racism is real? Yes! colorism is very real within the black community sadly. Black women, especially dark skin black women are those ones who experience it the most and sadly if from our very own men. It's funny i saw this post cause i was just watching a video on colorism, look up Chrissie on youtube. She talks about colorism and promotes dark sin women. But yes, colorism is real, i can't tell you how many black men say awful things about black women and uplift non black women over them cause they been brainwashed to think lighter skin is better/beautiful.

0|0
    0|0
  • FUCKING YES!! TAKE IT FROM A DARKSKIN BLACK GIRL!! YES!!

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, but I also think it would be in other communities as well

0|0
    0|0
  • Don’t ask that here... join a black community group.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, i used to see team dark skin or team light skin growing up all the time. It's crazy

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes the Lightskins vs Darkskins bs is all over social media platforms

1|0
    0|0
  • It’s not real 👎

1|1
    6|2
  • Perception Is reality.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course