Do you believe the femenist movement is losing its purpose?

I respect everyone's opinion on this topic and I ask anyone commenting to do the same, so keep the debates clean.
And just remember that the poll results will only show what gagers believe not what the rest of the world does. Do you believe the femenist movement is losing its purpose?
  • Yes, it is not clear anymore what the purpose of the movement is. As a result many people are getting the wrong idea, damaging the movement image and dividing society even more.
    Vote A
  • No, the movement has always been solid on its goals. Opposition has been harsh nontheless noticeable progress has been made. The more support the movement gets the more united our society will be.
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 11

• Absolutely. The movement has seemed to stray so far from its original purpose. Not to say there aren't good feminists, but there are also extremists, or feminazis, that honestly have ruined it.

1|8
    1|0
  • I´m not a feminist, I´m an individualist. Equal opportunities for all, not equal outcome. I also want meritocracy, which is blind to race and gender. The feminist movement has turned into manhating communists promoting honor violence and oppression of women in the name of islam. And the organization blocked me on twitter :-D

0|1
    0|0
  • Feminism is equality between men and women, but now it's literally "women are more superior than men, here's 100 reasons why." I believe a majority of feminists know the purpose and are only in for equality, but then we have good old Tumblr.

1|1
    0|0
    • 6d

Feminism has never been about true equality. Equality means equal rights AND equal responsibilities. Never in the history of the movement has a prominent feminist or feminist organization ever fought for men's rights or women's responsibilities.

• I don’t know if i’d go as far as saying it’s losing it’s purpose, but I think a lot of people are mistaken on what feminism is, I think a lot of people think it’s an ‘I hate men’ campaign.

0|0
    0|4
    • 6d

It was originally that women and men should be equal. Now it’s turned into a men vs women thing. It’s wrong to think that it is. But there are a lot of male issues ignored by feminists.

• Show All
    • 1d

There are less male issues ignored by feminists than you think. I've met plenty of feminists who are tuned into Male issues.

The biggest problem I see is that some women blame men, and some men blame women. In reality, it's a culture of power that a few men have enjoyed that they abuse at the expense of women and other men.
      Cultures of Masculinity and Femininity that reduce both to limited purpose, meant to serve these men.
      Want men to do hard labor and go to war for you? Tout it as quintessential manliness.
      Want women to look pretty, take care of your kids, and flirt with dashing young men? Have them believe it is the pinnacle of femininity.

The people who try to rigidly define these things are your enemy, because they know they can use these identities to manipulate others.

• 1d

I have noticed that a lot of Male activists tend to be hijacked by people who are trying to rigidly define masculinity again.

I can understand Feminism combating them. It's just unfortunate that these men lose voice when this happens.

And Feminism is definitely not equipped to empower men and help them with their issues like it does women.

• Yes, it is not clear anymore what the purpose of the movement is. As a result many people are getting the wrong idea, damaging the movement image and dividing society even more.

1|0
    1|1
  • It was good at first but corrupted people just kept changing what the movement was for in the first place so it's just making the movement and the people involved look bad

0|1
    0|0
  • I am a feminist but I want equality for both genders, so to me the definition of a feminist is a person that wants equality for all genders, I do not hate men and I don't hate women but I do hate bigoted men and women, people that blame everything on the opposite sex. Men are suppressed they get assaulted and raped, but because they are men their told to suck it up or be happy that they were assaulted, even the definition of rape is against them in a way, they're told how to look and how to act just like women so when people ask if it's easier to be a men or a women the answer is obviously neither because both sides have pressures dictated on to them by society. This fight between genders needs to stop so we can come together and fix what we have struggled with for awhile there shouldn't be things like oh he's a man he needs to look masculine or she's a woman she should be small and feminine, men can wear makeup and be pretty, women can belch and curse like sailors.

0|1
    0|0
    • 1d

I would argue that that would detract from the purpose of Feminism at all, which is Female Empowerment.

If Feminism begins to include strong male voices and male leadership in the group, and focus on male issues from a male standpoint, will it really still be Feminism?

Would this not just further divide and dilute Feminism's core message of Female Empowerment?

Or should Feminism support and allow a separate group dedicate to male liberation from societies oppressive norms and narrow, toxic hierarchy take place instead?

• 1d

the last thing a feminist wants is equality. men have higher rates of unemployment, homelessness, suicide, job related deaths, longer prison sentences, higher rape rate (after prison population is factored), and lose custody of children regardless of circumstances. trust me, you don't want equality.

• 58min

@x4v13r It's very easy to lose focus on what Equality consists of, right?
      After all, how do you quantify and classify equality?

Equality of class? Equality of wealth? Equality of opportunity?

Difficult stuff.

Bettering the quality of life for all individuals should really be the end goal. Rarely does that have to come at the expense of another person's true quality of life.

But regardless, it's a complex situation.

One of the problems I see about equality is that people want to make life at the top better, but never life at the bottom.

• Message mr

0|0
    2|1
  • The problem lies in feminazis, not in feminists.
    Female supremacists and misandrists are not feminists, because feminism is about gender equality.
    If you don't follow the ideals of the original movement - you're not it, you're fake.
    Feminazis may falsely call themselves "feminists", but they are obviously lying.

0|0
    0|0
    • 1d

I don't know If I agree with that kind of gatekeeping.

Plus, those women are feminists. You just don't like the way they portray Feminism. But they are.

Feminism is not a monolith. It does not have a hierarchy or leader at the top. It does not adhere to a strict code. It focuses on one thing. Empowering women.
      Gender Equality is debatable, since Valerie Solanas was a notable and celebrated Feminist. The SCUM Manifesto, of which she authored, is a piece of Feminist literature.

However, those works and that person are nothing more than a minority of Feminism. But still, it is Feminism. It is just considered radical.

You can still call yourself a Feminist and disagree with other branches of Feminism. It is not a monolith. There are good Feminist projects and because of it's non-hierarchical structure, you are free to pursue your own ideals within it.

• Show All
    • 1d

@SomeOtherGuy Feminazis are not feminists, and they don't portray feminism because they don't follow the main ideal of feminism, which is gender equality, not female empowerment.
      Furthermore, they are female supremacists and misandrists, therefore, they are obviously a hate movement, not a part of feminism.

• 56min

Say that all you want. Ignore them. Hate on them.

Better yet, go to your gender studies class and tell them that Valerie Solanas wasn't a feminist and the SCUM Manifesto is garbage.
      See how far that gets you.

Try to be the gatekeeper of a non-monolithic group. Keep saying that your narrow idea of feminism is true feminism.

You obviously have a very narrow experience and understanding of Feminism. You're going to piss a lot of feminists off.
      Have fun with that.

• I can’t tell you what’s currently happening SPECIFICALLY in the US because I’m currently living in Canada.

Feminism in theory, is a movement that wants women to have equal rights AND treatment. This implies that women have less rights and are being treated as inferior or as objects.

I think women have all the rights we need. That’s the legal aspect. But when you really take a look at what’s happening on the social aspect? Totally different story. Women aren’t treated as they should be, socially. A few of the issues women (mostly) face are: rape, catcalling, patronizing attitudes, not being taken seriously, stereotype and unfair gender roles.

All of these add up and then women protest against this unequal treatment. Men, seeing that happening, believe women are just being dramatic (again appealing to the stereotype, without even knowing it) and complain about women’s complaints. This turns into a huge war between the sexes... and so on and so forth.

0|0
    0|1
  • Nope

0|0
    0|2

What Guys Said 42

• For most of us, the word "feminism" evokes thoughts of very angry women who want to spew venom at men, women who hate the idea of heterosexual sex, and women who would even favor eliminating men from the planet (though they will never openly admit to harboring such extreme feelings.) Of course, these women epitomize hypocrisy because, while they hate men, they would not exist if their mother had not engaged in sex with a man.

0|1
    0|0
  • It has strayed from it’s original cause. While the movement has always had issues within it, it has gotten so much worse in recent years (2010-present) with it’s gynocentric and misandrist ideology causing males and females to become divided.

0|0
    0|0
  • good question. i don't think it's losing it's purpose as much as there are less things to fight for and the things they fight for are often times more difficult to accomplish or even figure out how to truly fight them... early it was far easier accomplishments (voting, workplace equality, pay gaps, etc) but now you get into more difficult to accomplish issues like sex trafficking and what not which are already illegal so you are not working against a single offender but rather a cloaked unseen plethora of offenders.

kind of like black civil rights. the fight was easier when there were clearly defined institutions that you could address (schools, government, etc) but now you are simply fighting general racism which isn't coming from a single source and isn't always readily apparent who it comes from or how to fight it

1|0
    0|1
    • 6d

This needs to be made most honest opinion. It's succinent to the point and paints a clear picture of what is going on. There is still work to be done for the feminist movement but it is more or less dealing with societal issues that come from culture and other unseen forces. Of course there are radical feminists who have entered into misandry, but they don't paint the entire movement. Like anything it's always the most radical who have the loudest voices.

• 6d

@coralee thank you... you are right unfortunately like all civil rights movements there will be those who are loud, proud and vehemently shouting things that are basically just their own views under the guise of the larger label. so there are many so called "feminist" who as you said are just misandrist

• The original intent was to bring equality to women, but nowadays it's more about giving privilege to women.

0|0
    0|0
  • It already lost.
    I don't see feminist movement being active in countries like Saudi Arabia. Maybe because SJWs would tell me, that that's their culture and I'm racist being against muslims. But we all know that muslim ain't race.
    I'm against every religion. Against that very concept. And also about social justice. Or some other things.
    Why do I talk about SJWs in feminism article? Well, let me ask you this. What's the difference. No, no. Not ideology, what they ACTUALLY do. I'll give you an example. People's republic of China. People's would suggest me that it's higly about the will of the people. Republic would tell me…well…it's republic. However. Current president Xi, aka winnie the pooh (I'm sorry, but…how retarded do you have to be to say to the internet that you don't like when people call you like this and you make it punishable? You are asking for it at that time!) is president for life. So much for democracy, right? How about censorship? So…the label is just big lie. The ideology isn't what's actually happens. Same with feminism.
    So, please. All feminist women. Go fight in middle-east countires for right of women. Go on. We'll se, how many of you will remain alive.
    And SJWs, if killing people because of religion is cool, then…well, I acutally don't have anything to say about that.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm voting B, because there's way more anti-feminism than there is ridiculous feminism (e. g. the "all PiV sex is rape" woman.)

Do you believe the femenist movement is losing its purpose?

0|0
    0|1
  • 20 years ago when I hear "feminism" I was thinking about a great movement fighting for good things like equality of treatment, income or rights beetwin men and women. It was something very positive in my mind.
    Nowadays, when I hear "feminism", I just roll my eyes and wonder : "what did this retards found to blame men again this time? lack of pockets on female clothes? the size of the new Iphone?"

0|0
    0|0
  • The thing is that more and more people see it as an act of extremism, in which only creates people who walk away from the whole truth of what it once was.

0|0
    0|0
  • The only purpose of the feminist movement was to place women on a legal pedestal above men. And now that they have accomplished that, they are intent on further devaluation men and removing any rights we still have. Artificial wombs and sex robots are soon going to make females obsolete.

0|0
    0|0
  • No way. College educated, white upper middle class Western women are more oppressed than EVER these days. Why just yesterday I saw a guy sitting with his legs spread too wide on the subway. How could you think its losing its purpose?

1|0
    0|0
  • It's easy to say it's lost it's purpose, but the fact is it hasn't. It's purpose is the same as it's always been: hatred and envy of men and special privileges for women.

0|0
    1|0
  • Nope, just it's direction. There are plenty of women and girls truly suffering all around the world. There just isn't any justifiable reason for their attitude and behavior in western society.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course it has. It went from equal rights and pay, to 'we don't need no stinkin' men'. That's where they pretty much lost everyone, from both genders.

0|0
    1|0
  • Depends on the feminist in question, some take it too far others are very grounded, in the US things went crazy, here in Portugal civil discussion is still possible

0|0
    0|0
  • It's starting to collapse and I for one am enjoying every moment. The Kavanaugh case was the beginning of the end for SJW Feminism. Now the left can get back true equality movements.

0|1
    0|0
  • i voted b but i would add some feminists have the wrong idea of what it means and many more anti feminists have taken it the wrong way too.

1|0
    0|0
  • feminism never had a true purpose. it was funded by the rockefellers (richest family in america) from the beginning as a means to make women pay taxes and end homeschooling. (it succeeded)

0|0
    0|0
  • It's purpose was to implant communistic ideas in the minds of impressionable young people. I'd say it's succeeded.

0|0
    0|0
  • Neither of the two options hers are accurate. No ones "getting the wrong idea". Feminism is a cancer, filled with deluded misandrists.

0|0
    0|0

0|0
    2|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes