What do you think causes the physical differences between certain political groups in the US?

I am obviously generalizing here but what I mean by this is, why do you typically get fitness buffs on one side (typically right) and skinnier, and typically less healthy looking people on the other side (typically left).

I'm not saying that ALL people on one side are one thing. You get fat, thin, in shape, roided up, and whatever else on BOTH sides of the political spectrum. Yet there certainly seems to be a trend whereby a lot of conservative males are bulkier and could be classed as "gym nuts" while male liberals are usually skinnier and a lot of female liberals are overweight.

Again, I'm NOT claiming that this applies entirely to one side, it's just what I've generally noticed whenever I see protest videos or spokespeople. This question and my opinion of it are ENTIRELY based on my own observations. That is all! Don't bite my head off if you disagree with me, I can't help seeing what I've seen, you know?

Do you see this as well? If you don't, then maybe it's just me. If you do, what do you think causes this?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I preface this with the caveat that I hate sweeping generalizations, they always piss someone off. Here’s my attempt to not piss anyone off with a general answer to a generalized question. (I’m sure I’ll fail miserably)
    Historically speaking, at least in the past 50-60 years, the republican party is comprised of the “old money” wealthier class. People with money, in general, tend to be healthier. They also tend to be more religious and more educated, and educated people tend to be healthier. When they make babies, their kids get proper nutrition, proper educations, are told they can achieve anything and one day inherit daddy’s money and proceed to making more little right wing babies.
    Republicans prefer small govt, certain tax breaks that tend to benefit the wealthy and a strong military. In general, the military and veterans tend to lean right as well, as do law enforcement and other government jobs because they feel like they get stronger support and more respect from republican leaders. This perceived support is not always reality. I could launch into an NRA talk at this point, but won't go there. My point is that there is a certain modicum of physical fitness for many of these professions, and they are largely associated with the right.
    The Democrats/left wing/so called progressives are (this is where I’m pretty sure I’m going to piss people off) historically known for better welfare practices, taxing the wealthier to pay for said better welfare, human rights, equality, peace, love, fluffy puppies, hippie tree huggin, pass the joint, utopian world where we all magically get along. More recently, they are for environmental issues like cleaner energy and healthcare for all, as well. People who utilize welfare tend to associate with the left. The left is also more tolerant on immigration issues, so those folks go left. The bottom tier of citizens often feel stuck in poverty, never finish school, get knocked up young and continue having babies they can’t afford to feed. Ergo, a large number of unhealthy folks wishing the world was fair as they trade their food stamps for a gram.
    So, you might think, wait! You said people on welfare go left, but there’s a lot of blue collar folks swinging right. Very true, but these are the hardest working folks in America. They have physically demanding jobs in fields and factories which negates the need for gym membership and they are the listeners of country music and Sunday morning gospel, which are very republican.

0|4
    0|0
    • Very interesting answer, thank you! I also hate sweeping generalisations which is why I tried my best to inform everyone that what I was suggesting was based solely on my own observations as a non-US based individual and may not be the reality of the situation. However, your answer makes a lot of sense and matches with what some other people have suggested.

Most Helpful Guy

• You are going to get some really thought out answers here - There are probably handsome/pretty and plain/ugly people on both sides - One thing that comes to mind is that the Vegan/Vegetarian diet probably doesn't support the bulked up version other than that answers become stereotypical - Jocks and nerds, Social Princesses and Emos in high school in later life - Just a side note to counter your vision there were some very hot Bernie Sanders supporters

0|2
    0|0
    • I love Bernie! I consider myself pretty middle of the road politically, and really think Bernie had a better shot at winning than Hillary. I just really couldn’t get onboard with her or Trump.

• Show All
    • @Jamie05rhs 👍🏼 The left really needs Bernie right now, he had a great message. Plus he had civility and sense. Dems have gone too far out in left field and the majority of the country, I feel, doesn’t want anyone too polarizing, left or right.

• America needs Bernie. Not just "the left."

And yes, the Dems have lost their f'ing minds. It's called TDS. I have my issues with Trump, but I'm not going insane over it.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 5

• [Citation needed]

1|0
    0|0
    • As I said many, many, many times, it's only based on what I've observed as a non-US resident

• ?
    Let me guess you're gonna vote republican tomorrow?

When I look at a trump rally I don't see a lot of buff dudes , just a lot of ... normal looking people. Mostly White, mostly middle aged
    I know shocking
    What do you think causes the physical differences between certain political groups in the US?What do you think causes the physical differences between certain political groups in the US?

And when you look at a I don't know Sanders or Hilary rally you see mostly... normal people. Maybe a bit younger and more diverse
    What do you think causes the physical differences between certain political groups in the US?What do you think causes the physical differences between certain political groups in the US?

0|0
    2|4
    • I'm not American. Overall I'm pretty neutral on a political level actually. There are a lot of right wing ideas that I support and a lot of left wing ideas that I support. Very few political parties tick all the boxes that I have. In my home country (Scotland) the only reason the vote the way I do is because I want Scottish Independence and so I choose the only party that supports that idea.
      As I said, I'm not trying to claim that one side is one thing while the other side is something else. My question is based on my own observations and nothing more. However, as someone else commented down below, studies have shown that higher testosterone levels (which is typically associated with "buff dudes") increase the likelihood of someone being right wing, while lower testosterone levels increase the likelihood of someone being left wing. So it seems that my observations can't be completely off the mark, at least to some extent.

• Show All
    • "If people are reading titles and taking something away from it without reading the description then I think we have a larger problem at hand."

Well I'm sorry but that's exactly what's happening in most of the internet

"a larger conversation to take place"
      A larger conversation about what?

Look what I'm saying is we all know clickbait, false information, tribalism, extremism and ignorance are rampant online.
      And if you're putting any kind of content online you should ask yourself "Am I part of the problem? " and I think in this specific case, you are !

• A larger conversation about all the things I just mentioned in my previous comment

• Interesting... I have not observed this!

0|0
    0|0
  • Money is god lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I've never thought about this, but it's also (as a generalisation) true in the UK, too...

0|0
    0|0
    • I notice it less in the UK but I think that's because the weather is always so bad that people have layers on and you can't get a glance at their fitness level. Whereas in the US it's always suns out, guns out.

What Guys Said 7

• Because leftists are effeminate, low-T, soyboys... Multiple studies have confirmed that the more T a man has, the more right-wing he is.

0|2
    4|0
    • Really? I hadn't heard of such studies but I'll definitely take a look. That's pretty interesting that even politics are ultimately influenced by something as simple as testosterone levels.

• Show All
    • I very much doubt that they will, somehow...

• They almost never do!

• I don't know man i think more conservatives tend to be heavier Rush Limbaugh and Newt Gingrich were heavy for years Chris Christie always heavy it seems like Republicans enjoy a burger and beer we love our food while a lot of liberals are into health food and stuff like that which is fine

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it has to do with hormones. I think there is something about testosterone that makes individuals more resistant to tearjerker anecdotes, and thus frees them to advocate (right wing) policies that maximize liberty. It would explain why being female correlates to being left wing, and why being male correlates to being right wing.

So it's not that being right wing directly correlates to more muscle mass, but rather being right wing correlates to having more testosterone which in turn correlates to having more muscle mass.

Just a theory...

0|0
    0|0
  • its probably conservative attitude. i guess its a more disciplined ideology, as opposed to liberals who are more relaxed

0|0
    0|0
  • Hmm... I guess because they live how they see fit based on their political standpoint?

0|0
    0|0
  • Right wing tends to be more on board with personal responsibility. Hence they work to fix their own problems. They work, the go to the gym more, they start businesses.

The far left is more about absolving responsibility.

0|0
    0|0
  • Money and racism

0|0
    0|0
    • Can you explain that a bit more?

• Some other sterotypes to politics I observe is that rich people vote republican and that poor vote democrat. Your view you made above does hold some truth observsation but it depends on the state and area since the usa is so big. Some parts have skinner people then fat people and vice versa. I think racism exists all over the sprectrum in politics.

Recommended myTakes