What do you think causes the physical differences between certain political groups in the US?

I am obviously generalizing here but what I mean by this is, why do you typically get fitness buffs on one side (typically right) and skinnier, and typically less healthy looking people on the other side (typically left).

I'm not saying that ALL people on one side are one thing. You get fat, thin, in shape, roided up, and whatever else on BOTH sides of the political spectrum. Yet there certainly seems to be a trend whereby a lot of conservative males are bulkier and could be classed as "gym nuts" while male liberals are usually skinnier and a lot of female liberals are overweight.

Again, I'm NOT claiming that this applies entirely to one side, it's just what I've generally noticed whenever I see protest videos or spokespeople. This question and my opinion of it are ENTIRELY based on my own observations. That is all! Don't bite my head off if you disagree with me, I can't help seeing what I've seen, you know?

Do you see this as well? If you don't, then maybe it's just me. If you do, what do you think causes this?

68

Most Helpful Girl

• I preface this with the caveat that I hate sweeping generalizations, they always piss someone off. Here’s my attempt to not piss anyone off with a general answer to a generalized question. (I’m sure I’ll fail miserably)
    Historically speaking, at least in the past 50-60 years, the republican party is comprised of the “old money” wealthier class. People with money, in general, tend to be healthier. They also tend to be more religious and more educated, and educated people tend to be healthier. When they make babies, their kids get proper nutrition, proper educations, are told they can achieve anything and one day inherit daddy’s money and proceed to making more little right wing babies.
    Republicans prefer small govt, certain tax breaks that tend to benefit the wealthy and a strong military. In general, the military and veterans tend to lean right as well, as do law enforcement and other government jobs because they feel like they get stronger support and more respect from republican leaders. This perceived support is not always reality. I could launch into an NRA talk at this point, but won't go there. My point is that there is a certain modicum of physical fitness for many of these professions, and they are largely associated with the right.
    The Democrats/left wing/so called progressives are (this is where I’m pretty sure I’m going to piss people off) historically known for better welfare practices, taxing the wealthier to pay for said better welfare, human rights, equality, peace, love, fluffy puppies, hippie tree huggin, pass the joint, utopian world where we all magically get along. More recently, they are for environmental issues like cleaner energy and healthcare for all, as well. People who utilize welfare tend to associate with the left. The left is also more tolerant on immigration issues, so those folks go left. The bottom tier of citizens often feel stuck in poverty, never finish school, get knocked up young and continue having babies they can’t afford to feed. Ergo, a large number of unhealthy folks wishing the world was fair as they trade their food stamps for a gram.
    So, you might think, wait! You said people on welfare go left, but there’s a lot of blue collar folks swinging right. Very true, but these are the hardest working folks in America. They have physically demanding jobs in fields and factories which negates the need for gym membership and they are the listeners of country music and Sunday morning gospel, which are very republican.

• Very interesting answer, thank you! I also hate sweeping generalisations which is why I tried my best to inform everyone that what I was suggesting was based solely on my own observations as a non-US based individual and may not be the reality of the situation. However, your answer makes a lot of sense and matches with what some other people have suggested.

Most Helpful Guy

• You are going to get some really thought out answers here - There are probably handsome/pretty and plain/ugly people on both sides - One thing that comes to mind is that the Vegan/Vegetarian diet probably doesn't support the bulked up version other than that answers become stereotypical - Jocks and nerds, Social Princesses and Emos in high school in later life - Just a side note to counter your vision there were some very hot Bernie Sanders supporters

• I love Bernie! I consider myself pretty middle of the road politically, and really think Bernie had a better shot at winning than Hillary. I just really couldn’t get onboard with her or Trump.

• @Jamie05rhs 👍🏼 The left really needs Bernie right now, he had a great message. Plus he had civility and sense. Dems have gone too far out in left field and the majority of the country, I feel, doesn’t want anyone too polarizing, left or right.

• America needs Bernie. Not just "the left."

And yes, the Dems have lost their f'ing minds. It's called TDS. I have my issues with Trump, but I'm not going insane over it.