Edward Snowden: Hero or Whistleblower?

In 2013, Snowden was hired by an NSA contractor, Booz Allen Hamilton, after previous employment with Dell and the CIA.
On May 20, 2013, Snowden flew to Hong Kongafter leaving his job at an NSA facility in Hawaii, and in early June he revealed thousands of classified NSA documents to journalists Glenn Greenwald, Laura Poitras, and Ewen MacAskill. Snowden came to international attention after stories based on the material appeared in The Guardian and The Washington Post. Further disclosures were made by other publications including Der Spiegel and The New York Times.

On June 21, 2013, the U. S. Department of Justice unsealed charges against Snowden of two counts of violating the Espionage Act of 1917 and theft of government property, following which the Department of Staterevoked his passport.

Two days later, he flew into Moscow's Sheremetyevo Airport, but Russian authorities noted that his U. S. passport had been cancelled, and he was restricted to the airport terminal for over one month. Russia ultimately granted him right of asylum for one year, and repeated extensions have permitted him to stay at least until 2020.
In early 2016, he became the president of the Freedom of the Press Foundation, an organization that aims to protect journalists from hacking and government surveillance. As of 2017, he was living in an undisclosed location in Moscow.

A subject of controversy, Snowden has been variously called a hero, a whistleblower, a dissident, a traitor, and a patriot. His disclosures have fueled debates over mass surveillance, government secrecy, and the balance between national security and information privacy.
Updates:
I have had a crush on him since the movie. I studied this case for months in school.
He's epileptic just like me🙂
You guys thought I was just about photos and dating. I'm smarter than I look believe it or not

1|1

Most Helpful Guys

• I have very similar feelings on him as I do to Julian Assange, which is to say mixed. Some of the things that both men have revealed have been admirable and for the good of free Democratic societies everywhere... and in other cases I believe their egos, carelessness, and over-eagerness to get information out quickly for personal reasons has gotten good people irresponsibly hurt and killed. They would probably both cite the greater good in response... but so would the US govt officials that have surveiled US citizens without traditionally established probable cause.

This is my problem with people who suborn themselves to a cause. Principles go out the window, inevitably, in service of the cause.

1|1
    0|0
    • Both of them get discussed a lot in IT and in cybersecurity circles in particular... They're surprisingly polarizing even though most InfoSec/CyberSec people are big into privacy

• Nothing wrong with being a whistleblower, whistleblowers can often be heroes.

I'm a big supported of WikiLeaks and Julian Assange. The CIA has a very secretive and influential role in events in the world and orchestrating events throughout the world.

I have a big respect for people who risk their lives to reveal things that the government doesn't want the public to know about.

If anyone is against WikiLeaks or Snowden, I welcome a friendly debate and am interested to know why they are evil.

1|0
    0|1
    • Annnnd there we go. I openly invite someone to debate and even still they can't do that and just hit the downvote.

Morons, I swear.

• Show All
    • @LuvMeSomeBoys What are your thoughts on the metoo movement? It's a similar thing. Follow a system of complaints and usually end up with nothing or share the issue with the public and get the masses behind you.

During the cold war, the government exposed soldiers to high levels of nuclear radiation. The soldiers were sworn to the official secrecy act and were not allowed to tell anyone of there terrible and life threatening experiences.

I do not support government secrecy when involves practices that the public would not be happy about and I support anyone who brings these practices to light.

The government should be accountable to the public after all.

• their*

Most Helpful Girl

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 35

• he's both. he blew the whistle but his actions were somewhat heroic

0|0
    0|0
  • Treason is usually simply a matter of dates. The Nazi officers who tried to kill Hitler were traitors - to Hitler, but after the war they were heroes to the Allies.

The trouble with this guy is we don't know yet the full impact his actions have had. For all we know, his disclosures may be the reason Trump won the White House.

In which case he should be hung by the balls.

0|1
    0|0
  • He's an agent fighting for transperancy. The reason people hate him is because he let the truth out and many either don't like the truth, are benefiting from ignoring it or are so gullible they believe what the people who hate the truth and are benefiting from it tell them.

2|0
    0|0
  • Hero for the commitment to being a whistleblower. I can relate in that it will majorly screw up your career if not your life.

Crush? You do know he's gay, right? lol

1|0
    0|0
    • Noooooo 😀

• @Wowgirl10q - not sure that's true, he was was in a relationship with a girl for some time, they were living together in Hawaii till he left to go into hiding in Asia and talk to the international press

• The truth might hurt but hopefully, if you can make it to the end, it will set you free. CIA and NSA are competing parts of the United States government and have developed into two different and opposing agencies. Both are engaged in activities that are a violation of its citizens rights to privacy under the constitution. But the CIA has a part of its organization that has gone completely rogue to the law and is in actuality supporting foreign entities. Due to its secret design and lack of congressional oversight, they have developed operations and subversion, with many agents taking powerful positions in major political offices and media outlets. The NSA, though not completely constitutional, does have some leaders who have given oath to support the constitution. In essence the NSA has more support to the citizens, and has the capabilities to expose the CIA's treasonous activities. In an effort to to subvert the NSA's abilities to surveil and reveal the CIA's heinous violations of constitutional law, the rogue part of the CIA dispatched operatives to try to take down the NSA. One of those operatives is Edward Snowden.

0|0
    0|0
  • Like everything in this world, it tends to not be cut and dry. It's based on viewpoint. For instance, if his actions got people killed or ruined an innocent perons life, then he could be seen as a hero but also a piece of shit. I have no opinion personally.

1|0
    0|0
  • Whistleblowers especially in the intelligence areas of countries usually provoke love/hate feelings. I personally believe in transparency, if you allow cloak and dagger stuff, someone at some point may abuse it.

0|1
    0|0
  • It was good that he exposed the government for what we already knew they were doing. It's a shame that they are still doing it though.

1|0
    0|0
  • Hero and whistleblower. Takes a lot of guts and conviction to stand up to the man. That's part of what being an American means. Even if he was wrong, (I dont think he was) I feel he stood up for us. He did what he thought was right. That's admirable.

1|0
    0|0
  • He exposed illegal, unconstitutional government practices. They responded by making a move to arrest (read: probably torture and detain indefinitely) and then legalize all of the things he had revealed so they would look innocent retroactively.

Why would he be the bad guy?

0|0
    0|0
  • He definitely is not a hero. His defection with highly classified information led directly to the death of American Intelligence Agents.

1|2
    1|0
  • Hero definitely and also this is a guy who is worthy of the asylum that Russia granted him someone like this deserves asylum not illegal aliens trying to sponge off of another country a little lesson for the liberals

0|0
    0|1
  • He is a hero that showed us how corrupt my government is, he should be pardoned and welcomed home as the hero he is immediately

2|0
    0|1
  • Hero. Although I believe in mass surveillance to prevent violent crimes I also believe the public should understand and participate in how such a system would be implicated.

0|0
    0|0
  • He's a hero who should be allowed to come home and be pardon.

2|0
    0|1
  • what do you mean whisleblower "or" hero? he's both. cause he exposed lots of illegal shit the American government was doing and he's facing the consequences for that to this day.

0|0
    0|0
  • His secret agent was a girl and her name was owly the owl 😄

0|0
    0|0
    • @Wowgirl10q i knew it before you say it, i'm still smarter owly girl 😂

• I'm a good girl we have ended on good terms no cheating ex... just wasn't meant to be
      And then I met you Tony...

• Hahaha, the owly girl wants king tony the 1st to feed her and take care of her so she turns into a big vicious owl 🤣

• He is a conflicting character, Have spent 30 years in the defense industry, I received much of the same training on keeping our nation's secrets as Snowden had. The number one thing you learn is lives are at risk.. From one life to thousands. I understand doing the right thing , but the risk to life is to great. There are other means to rectify issues with out the risk to life and limb. I believe he thought he was doing the right thing, but the recklessness of what he did is terrifying if you understand the repercussions... Believe me, there are always repercussions , the web of connections is vast and intertwined. It was not patriotism, it was ideology that he had.

0|2
    0|0
  • Both! I put him in the ranks of Assange, O'Keefe, and Rich.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, he is a hero.

However, I doubt whether it's really feasible to completely omit the mass surveillance thing. For example, he had a conference in Israel and of course was against massive Israeli surveillance and privacy breach.

However, if you look at the reports of Shin Bet and police you'll see that they literally prevents hundreds of terrorist attacks every single year (as of June, over 250 in 2018 alone).

That can literally kill thousands and thousands.

Of course Israel is a special case in terms of threat, but should you as a government make it yourself infinitely more difficult to stop thousands of citizens being murdered?

I'm not sure.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know. I’m not going to say anything about him. I want to stay off the CIA radar.. lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Hero and whistleblower.

1|1
    0|1
  • Good guy Ed

2|0
    0|1
  • Hero without a doubt

2|0
    0|0
  • Neither.