Edward Snowden: Hero or Whistleblower?

In 2013, Snowden was hired by an NSA contractor, Booz Allen Hamilton, after previous employment with Dell and the CIA.
Edward Snowden: Hero or Whistleblower?
On May 20, 2013, Snowden flew to Hong Kongafter leaving his job at an NSA facility in Hawaii, and in early June he revealed thousands of classified NSA documents to journalists Glenn Greenwald, Laura Poitras, and Ewen MacAskill. Snowden came to international attention after stories based on the material appeared in The Guardian and The Washington Post. Further disclosures were made by other publications including Der Spiegel and The New York Times.

On June 21, 2013, the U. S. Department of Justice unsealed charges against Snowden of two counts of violating the Espionage Act of 1917 and theft of government property, following which the Department of Staterevoked his passport.

Two days later, he flew into Moscow's Sheremetyevo Airport, but Russian authorities noted that his U. S. passport had been cancelled, and he was restricted to the airport terminal for over one month. Russia ultimately granted him right of asylum for one year, and repeated extensions have permitted him to stay at least until 2020.
Edward Snowden: Hero or Whistleblower?
In early 2016, he became the president of the Freedom of the Press Foundation, an organization that aims to protect journalists from hacking and government surveillance. As of 2017, he was living in an undisclosed location in Moscow.

A subject of controversy, Snowden has been variously called a hero, a whistleblower, a dissident, a traitor, and a patriot. His disclosures have fueled debates over mass surveillance, government secrecy, and the balance between national security and information privacy.
I have had a crush on him since the movie. I studied this case for months in school.
He's epileptic just like me🙂
You guys thought I was just about photos and dating. I'm smarter than I look believe it or not

537

Most Helpful Guys

• I have very similar feelings on him as I do to Julian Assange, which is to say mixed. Some of the things that both men have revealed have been admirable and for the good of free Democratic societies everywhere... and in other cases I believe their egos, carelessness, and over-eagerness to get information out quickly for personal reasons has gotten good people irresponsibly hurt and killed. They would probably both cite the greater good in response... but so would the US govt officials that have surveiled US citizens without traditionally established probable cause.

This is my problem with people who suborn themselves to a cause. Principles go out the window, inevitably, in service of the cause.

• Both of them get discussed a lot in IT and in cybersecurity circles in particular... They're surprisingly polarizing even though most InfoSec/CyberSec people are big into privacy

• Nothing wrong with being a whistleblower, whistleblowers can often be heroes.

I'm a big supported of WikiLeaks and Julian Assange. The CIA has a very secretive and influential role in events in the world and orchestrating events throughout the world.

I have a big respect for people who risk their lives to reveal things that the government doesn't want the public to know about.

If anyone is against WikiLeaks or Snowden, I welcome a friendly debate and am interested to know why they are evil.

• Annnnd there we go. I openly invite someone to debate and even still they can't do that and just hit the downvote.

Morons, I swear.

• @LuvMeSomeBoys What are your thoughts on the metoo movement? It's a similar thing. Follow a system of complaints and usually end up with nothing or share the issue with the public and get the masses behind you.

During the cold war, the government exposed soldiers to high levels of nuclear radiation. The soldiers were sworn to the official secrecy act and were not allowed to tell anyone of there terrible and life threatening experiences.

I do not support government secrecy when involves practices that the public would not be happy about and I support anyone who brings these practices to light.

The government should be accountable to the public after all.

• their*

Most Helpful Girl