Where do you think morality comes from?

And why don’t we all follow the same moral compass?

i just want thoughts and opinions. Feel free to debate. Just be friendly ☺️
Updates:
Lots of great answers! But the few of you who say morality came from god... umm how did you come to that conclusion?

But anyways, I think I’ll let the automated Gag thing pick MHO. Do any of you want it? If so, lemme noooo

2|3

Most Helpful Guys

• Morality as I see it like a guide to playing poker without being able to see the opponent's hole cards. You do the best you can with limited information and so many unknown variables, and there is actually an optimal way to play statistically against those unknowns.

The Golden Rule is an example of GTO (game theory optimal) strategy. Assuming you don't have any information which would suggest that they would be hostile and that your attempts would backfire, it helps to err on the side of treating them as you'd like to be treated, since that has a greater probability (not guarantee, people should think in terms of probabilities rather than 100% certainty), that you would turn him/her into an ally rather than an enemy who could threaten harm to you or your loved ones.

The problem is that, unlike Poker, life is a lot more complex. It's not such a simple game. And so I think we tend to deviate a lot in terms of how we think to best fulfill of goals. That's where the subjectivity usually comes into play, unless you're dealing with a complete psychopath or sociopath whose goals are so different from everyone else.

0|0
    1|0
    • * Assuming you don't have any information which would suggest that [a stranger] would be hostile and that your attempts would backfire, [...]

• Show All
    • That ignorant certainty is a trait I find in all hostile ideologues who are extremely immoral: radical feminists, communists, tyrannical dictators, religious zealots, etc. They are all certain that, whatever the costs, what they are doing is right. That is the sign of a shitty poker player who fucks up their bankroll and keeps on gambling in spite of bleeding money left and right. They think their means justifies the end.

• And I always disliked fucking retards for that. I have a prejudice there, but only when they hold a position where they influence others with their stupid ideologies whether secular or religious in nature while blatantly contradicting the most obvious scientific knowledge. Otherwise I'm usually sympathetic towards retards. But the ones who seek to change society in favor of their fucking retarded ways with all their stupid answers and no fucking questions -- that is true evil as I see it. And the counter for that is more science and research along with a more logical and mathematical mind which seeks to gather as much data as possible before jumping to any conclusions, and never reaches any level of perfect certainty.

• I sell drugs to lethargic children and listen to Ariana Grande so maybe I'm not the best person to speak on this subject. But what I've noticed about children is that they're modest by nature. They're not shameless but they learn to be shameless. And what I've noticed about society lately is a degeneracy of moral values and a loss of the sense of shame.

I believe we are all born with certain innate inclinations, inclinations towards a greater good. However we often become corrupted by our surroundings. What child wants to be a drug dealer, prostitute or tyrant when they grow up? Children are naturally innocent, sometimes their innocence is gradually lost and other times it is taken from them by force.

0|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Morality was developed by society as a crucial element of coexisting in harmony. Most of modern-day morality stems from archaic religious laws that help humans get along. It us fundamentally understood across most continents and religions that hurting people is bad and helping people is good. But different societies can decide their own morals or laws, creating problems, war, and any amount of disagreement

Morality is taught to us at a young age, beginning with our parents. Each family has their own ground rules of what is right and wrong. Government laws and religious obligations affect a family's arbitrary morals. Each neighborhood, community, state, college campuse et cetera designates a specific set of morals or laws

My coworker's daughter knew it was wrong to take a second crayon from the box "behind my teacher's back," but she didn't understand why or that she would get herself into trouble for telling her mom. Now she lies to avoid getting into trouble, so it's difficult for her mom to explain what is right and wrong

In a religious neighborhood, nudity is I huge moral flub, but nudist colonies have a much more lax view of morality in this sense

Difficulty arises when governmental laws do not dictate what is or isn't morale and people are left to determine it for themselves. Cheating on your wife may not get you stoned to death anymore (depending where you live), but it is still considered to be amoral because it harms another person and breaks a legal contract that is pricy to nullify, and it harms and children you may have for years to come. Promiscuity is considered amoral to many religious devotes, but is no longer considered amoral by a large subject of the population that holds no religious ties because it is no longer considered punishable by law (depending where you live)

Basically something is amoral if you king, God, or country tells you so. But the specific society, club, family, or association you live in can dictate their own set of morals. We mostly learn it from our parents, but also teachers and people we meet along the way of growing up

2|0
    0|0
  • This has been said a lot but I believe it is the person and their background. But even then, they could be a completely different person from where they grew up.

When we are kids, many are fortunate woh being able to be taught what’s right from wrong; but there are others who have to learn the hard way.

Even hen those who were taught right from wrong, when growing up, can completely change. The right becomes the wrong and the wrong becomes the right.

Yes people can be influenced by everything. Influence is bound to happen, it just depends on how the person takes it in. We can’t all have the same morals because not every person has the same thought process.

We react differently. Talk differently, think differently, and believe in different things. It just depends on how the person has been molded and how they have reacted, pondered and believing in the influence they have received.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 79

• many places. family, friends, religion, education, etc, etc. we don't all have the same morality because we all come from relatively unique backgrounds.

0|3
    0|0
  • It is entirely a nurture thing. Your morality grows along with you and developes based on your upbringing, environment and experience.

0|2
    0|0
  • I’ve been running with the theory that morality grew from primal natural group behavior. Like how dogs, monkeys, zebras and other animals that move in groups kinda have a mutual understanding of how to behave with each other. I think over time those natural feelings around theft and murder became spoken and written. The really obvious ones clearly come from thoughts about safety. If most of us don’t murder we can go through most of life without fear of being murder. Same thing for theft. I’m sure you could trace most laws back to some fear we as a collective wish to avoid. I think as we spoke and wrote these laws and feelings out more people who didn’t agree with or couldn’t understand the laws challenged them. People at the time probably didn’t have the clearest answers about their history so they gave reasonings that were the best they could give and most people believed it. Then it makes sense that as the roots of morality got mixed in with folktales, religion, and government people could still tell they were all referring to around the same concept. Then someone named it morality and people went on to over analyze it as some magic phenomena rather than a natural evolutionary adaption for organisms that live in groups.

0|0
    0|0
    • And to answer the part about why we’re different. I think we all pick up our behavior as child through observation. If you saw and liked it you did it. If you didn’t like it you fought against it. You’re not consciously thinking about it. You’re just a kid reacting. As you get older you start to actually think about your behavior and then you start noticing how other people behave. So it’s kinda like nature gives you a genetic template then your brain tries to fit your instincts into the surrounding environment and you develop a personality and that personality only grows from there. The younger you are the more weight certain events carry in your life because as you age the events feels smaller in comparison to your life as a whole. So most of your personality seems like it’s been part of you forever. Including your “moral compass”

• We don't all follow the same moral compass because humans are not all the same.

Here's an informative video, regarding a certain segment of the population. Psychopaths, sociopaths, and narcissists. Basically, most people are born with a sense of empathy. They are sympathetic to others in pain, and they feel guilt when they do something wrong. Most people have these feelings to various degrees.

And then you have... the psychopath. Those who are born with absolutely no regard for others. Who feel no sympathy for others. They were born this way, and exhibit no empathy/sympathy/guilt even when they are toddlers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dv8zJiggBs

It is this innate difference among people which makes us all value things differently. Serial murderers, serial rapists, and chronic thieves... they don't give a shit about the well-being of others. They probably start out as cruel children and bullies, and continue into adulthood. Other people are too empathetic... to the point of being weak and stepped on by others.

You can teach children to be a certain way... essentially molding them to some extent. But there are many cases of extreme psychopaths who are beyond any form of treatment or redemption.

Like this dude literally talks about planning his own brother's murder as a teenager... as if he was taking a walk in the park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60vK6Uw9sSE

0|0
    0|0
  • Deepest question I've seen asked in such a long time. Newborns have no concept of morality. Since its not Inherant, it much an external learning process. It does IMPLY that raised in an environment with no moral standards the child will lack morals as well,, BUT... deeply buried below all that is the knowledge of right and wrong. The child, grown still holds the value of right and wrong of higher importance than moral or not moral.

0|0
    0|0
  • The moment God created man in His image, He decided to be the source of human morality. Man is made in God's image, beast are not.

Yes, people who believe there is no God can have morals and even live up to their morals but under what obligation are they needed to? For if there is no God, then there is no good and no evil. Why would anybody need to conduct their life in a manner than is upright and righteous if they could also not live up to their morals and lie, rape and kill. For their death would be just as equal. They would have no accountability to make sure their morals are followed. They can claim they hold themselves accountable but they can't because they could easily change their morals and what good would it be to punish yourself for going against your morality. All it leaves is you set the punishment you wanted it to be. There's nobody setting your punishment.

All people living in a world void of God's existence would not even be subject to any punishment for not living up to their morals. Sure, a government or another person could punish you for not living as they thought was moral but they are wanting you to live up to their moral standards.

To be in God's image means to love and not abuse grace and it means to know and have wisdom. Animals can't compare to our language skills and have no concept of why they should be moral. They may have some morals but not knowledge of why. Anybody who claims there's no God would know there's no morality except what you want morality to be. You can basically make up your own morality and even if you didn't live up to your morals, you wouldn't be punished for it.

Without God, a person could rape, murder and torture others. You could say but I don't need God to avoid doing evil but what is evil and what is good? You set what good and what evil is if there's no God. Even if you did rape and murder by going against your morality, how did it change your impeding death? It didn't. You experienced the same eternity as all others.

If there's no God, you can't condemn rape or murder because they wouldn't be upcoming punishment for them. Saying you still ought to do it because it's right and it's wrong to murder, then what evidence can you present that murder is wrong? So says that indulging in fleshly desires is immoral? Remember if there's no God, your conscience shouldn't be there. It's there because you know that you can live as if this world was void of God. God stamped our soul with knowing good from evil.

0|0
    0|1
  • I'm an Atheist so I can a non religious answer. I get my morals mostly from logic and common sense, but also the way that I was raised was a large part of how I got my morals. The best quote I've ever heard was "Treat others the way you want to be treated", so there is a bit of selfishness involved because I don't do certain things because I don't want that to happen to me and I do certain thing because I want that to happen to me.

0|0
    0|0
    • But you don't have to live up to your moral standards. If you wanted to rape and kill, then who is there to punish you. If I wanted to kill and rape, how would your death be any different than mine?

• @Under_Maps_OF_twigs I still have to live up to my society's standards (laws), if I go against society's standards (breaking the law), my death could be be different depending on what happened when I when against society's standards or I could get the death penalty depending where I am, since my state doesn't have the death penalty, a part of my life or even the rest of my life could be spent behind bars. So maybe I don't have to live up to my own moral standards (which I'm going to) but I do have to live by society's standards no matter what and who I am.

• Family and your heart. Everyone’s born as an evil piece of shit but parents, family, upbringing and Religion teach morals. So kids with none of that are almost always “fucked up”.

But yeah most humans are garbage anyways.

1|1
    3|1
  • I think it's taught to us as kids and would link to how empathetic we are as individuals capable I remember my girlfriend telling somthing like kids upto the age off 2 or 3 need to see or feel a German amount of empathy for it to truly stick and teach them it

0|1
    0|0
  • Morals? If you mean basic respect for others and the group (empathy), this is observed in other higher primates. It's adaptive for individual and group survival. Humans aren't the only species that punishes bad behavior.

0|0
    0|0
  • Uh yeah I’m late to the morality thing. God! Usually by faith. The bible it paints a picture of him being only good. The deeper question is “is it good for this being to imbue a homo sapien with his own and then lead to him to the cross for every other sinner on earth?” Hope this is of some insight for you Ellie.

0|0
    0|0
  • We're innately aware of some morals (it's wrong to torture babies). Others are learned (it's wrong to eat a family pet). Still other morals vary from tribe to tribe (it's wrong/ok to wear skimpy clothing).

0|0
    0|0
  • Morality, as it is used, is individual and comes from within. Each person gets to decide what is and is not moral. That is why legislation of morality has never worked short of execution as punishment.

One could use logic to develop a consistent set of fundamental human rights. Such rights can be exercised by all without violating anyone else's rights, noting that those who violate someone's rights waive their rights.

0|0
    0|0
  • Animals don't generally kill or destroy their own, there may be some inter-species murder but generally, it isn't advantageous or sustainable to destroy your own species.
    But we don't follow the same moral compass because we do not have a hive mind or collective think.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think those moral are our default factory sittings we are born with them.

Then they are shaped by the people around us and society... etc.

For example, all young children (ages 0-3) are pure.

0|0
    0|0
  • It comes from the instinctual need for survival.
    For instance, killing is wrong only because you would NOT like someone to kill you.
    However, if no one could kill you, would you care? I don't know.
    All humans can easily kill each other and because of that, we all want to live harmoniously.
    It doesn't matter how much "power" a person has, because a bullet to the brain ends him quick.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you have reason you can deduce morality based on the information to hand.

If you don't, then you'll generally follow what you perceive as the largest/strongest authority figure, whether it's government, god or dictatorship.

0|0
    0|0
  • Morality comes from the individuals society. Once upon a time western society thought it was okay to burn people at the stake. Times change, it has nothing to do with imaginary gods, but sometimes it has to do with the law makers following gods.

0|0
    0|0
  • Personal interpretation of good an evil.
    Would person who willingly sacrifices the few to save the many be good or evil?
    Would the person that put him in that position be good or evil?
    What if the few were good and the many was evil?
    Who decided who was good and who was evil?
    It's mostly subjective and completely depends on the choices and interpretation of an individual.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think morality comes from years after years from ajustements for living all together in the best way possible.
    Exemple Why is it bad to leave a girl with young child? Because ir would better you stay with in order to take care if the child and also the girl. It would be the best for the child.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well it comes from how I raised and how I see it as wrong or right
    There are somethings that I don't see as morally correct but they don't, vise versa
    As I grow up I now think of the things and asset them based on my own thoughts and logic. 😀

0|0
    0|0
  • Morality is, by it's very nature, demonstrably subjective. This is evidenced by the fact that nobody has the exact same morals to the exact same degree, as they form based on our neurological connections, our social connections and our personal experiences.

0|0
    0|0
  • Compassion, empathy, love, awareness... and more. These are all fundamental human traits. We feel certain things

Seeing a animal suffering when we stab it to death for food still make us feel bad for it A lion feels no sympathy for their prey.

0|0
    0|0
  • We don't all follow the same moral compass because we have different religious beliefs and different life experiences in general. Everybody's moral compass is likely to be unique because of their unique life.

0|0
    0|0
  • Morality is a human societal construct. It is literal that simple.

1|0
    0|0
  • morals are a social trait so as a social species, we develop them through society based on how we have emotionally and/or physically experienced reward and punishment.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because of evolution, all humans avoid pain. So anything that causes harm to humans is naturally avoided, forming the basis of our morality.
    The reason we don’t ALL follow this moral is because if religion. Nurture crowds the nature, I suppose.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it comes from temperamental inclinations that are determined by a combination of biology and environment.

0|0
    0|0
  • Morality can only come from one of 2 places.
    1) some supreme moral entity like god.
    2) Its an illusion which we subject ourselves to. If we can invent our own morals they kind of cease to make us behave in a certain manner.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think morality cames from common sens. and everyone have not the same "equipment" in common sens therefore we all have not the same vision of morality.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 27

• It is what humans view as right and wrong and the mind is very complex and people view things differently

For instance, if there are 3 people in a room, and a dog walks in, one person will be okay with the dog being in the roon, while another person might be freaking out because they had bad experinces with dogs, and the other person might think its just wrong to have a dog inside and that dogs should be outside.
    Those are three different reactions and ways of thinking. And that shows u that not every humans thinks the same.
    So when it comes to what we feel is right and wrong. MOST humans have common ground on what we think is right and wring such as murder is wrong, lying is wrong, etc. But when it comes to how one should dress, speak, even eat, its all different. Culture and religion plays a major role in that tbh.
    So that is why people can't really get on one accord when it comes to having the same morals because what someone views as okay, someone else can view as completely wrong

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, not everyone possesses the same moral compass, but as a general rule, it's something that we evolved as a herd species. It comes from our sense of wanting to do what is good for the herd, and ourselves through a sense of empathy.
    I don't kill people, because I recognise that I, myself, would really prefer to not be killed. People without that sense, although not always - tend not to survive very long, and effectively Darwin Award themselves.

0|0
    0|0
    • What's interesting about people who posit that gawd is responsible for morality, is that they never have a real answer for why their gods morality would be any less subjective than any other thinking agents morality. It's basically just might-makes-right with no more thought given to it.

• I don't believe in morals per say. Morals would mean it's definite and applies to all people. I'd say we all have ethics, and that they come from our different cultures, life experiences, people we surround ourselfs with and so on. I don't believe we can ever define morality because no two people think of it the same

0|0
    0|0
  • Morality is affected by internal and external factors and influences. Internal: personal beliefs and value; external: society (what's considered good and what's bad by majority of the society), education, the way the person is raised/parents, authority figures, peers, etc.

0|0
    0|0
  • To me morals are learned as you grow. It becomes a basic understanding of treating someone the way you want to be treated. Then there's those you are raised with like no elbows on the table you'll either agree with or don't to pass on to your kids. I found that one to be stupid. This is why we don't all have the same exact morals.

0|0
    0|0
  • I believe it’s 100% nurture/socialization.
    Just look at children‘s behavior. Humans aren’t born with morals.

0|1
    0|0
  • It comes from the heart. Everyone is different. Truth is the ultimate morality.

0|0
    1|1
  • genetics (your personality)
    how you were raised
    society

0|1
    0|0
  • Parents, friends, surrounding, education and own experiences plus definetly own personality

0|1
    0|0
  • Our ability to empathize with others, as well as our desire to have people’s approval.

0|0
    0|0
  • I feel like religion and are own human nature created morality

0|1
    0|1
  • I think character, even if environment has influence, I don't think its entirely, two brothers can view different moralities.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it comes from human nature coupled with upbringing to know what is wrong and what is right.

0|0
    0|0
  • The way we were raised and grow up. I mean from generations to generations

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it depends on how you were raised.

0|0
    0|0
  • It comes from God

0|0
    2|3
  • My anus

2|0
    1|0
  • Self love and inner peace

0|0
    0|0
  • Family and tradition play a big role

0|0
    0|0
  • Spiritual guidance

0|0
    0|0
  • God.

0|1
    0|1
  • the Internet?

0|0
    0|0
  • In the big scheme, we do have the same morals.

0|0
    0|0
  • Morality comes from your society and culture

0|0
    0|0
  • How you're raised basically

0|1
    0|0
  • Society, learned behaviour and education

0|0
    0|0
  • Religion 100%