Where do you think morality comes from?

And why don’t we all follow the same moral compass?

i just want thoughts and opinions. Feel free to debate. Just be friendly ☺️
Lots of great answers! But the few of you who say morality came from god... umm how did you come to that conclusion?

But anyways, I think I’ll let the automated Gag thing pick MHO. Do any of you want it? If so, lemme noooo

2981

Most Helpful Guys

• Morality as I see it like a guide to playing poker without being able to see the opponent's hole cards. You do the best you can with limited information and so many unknown variables, and there is actually an optimal way to play statistically against those unknowns.

The Golden Rule is an example of GTO (game theory optimal) strategy. Assuming you don't have any information which would suggest that they would be hostile and that your attempts would backfire, it helps to err on the side of treating them as you'd like to be treated, since that has a greater probability (not guarantee, people should think in terms of probabilities rather than 100% certainty), that you would turn him/her into an ally rather than an enemy who could threaten harm to you or your loved ones.

The problem is that, unlike Poker, life is a lot more complex. It's not such a simple game. And so I think we tend to deviate a lot in terms of how we think to best fulfill of goals. That's where the subjectivity usually comes into play, unless you're dealing with a complete psychopath or sociopath whose goals are so different from everyone else.

• * Assuming you don't have any information which would suggest that [a stranger] would be hostile and that your attempts would backfire, [...]

• That ignorant certainty is a trait I find in all hostile ideologues who are extremely immoral: radical feminists, communists, tyrannical dictators, religious zealots, etc. They are all certain that, whatever the costs, what they are doing is right. That is the sign of a shitty poker player who fucks up their bankroll and keeps on gambling in spite of bleeding money left and right. They think their means justifies the end.

• And I always disliked fucking retards for that. I have a prejudice there, but only when they hold a position where they influence others with their stupid ideologies whether secular or religious in nature while blatantly contradicting the most obvious scientific knowledge. Otherwise I'm usually sympathetic towards retards. But the ones who seek to change society in favor of their fucking retarded ways with all their stupid answers and no fucking questions -- that is true evil as I see it. And the counter for that is more science and research along with a more logical and mathematical mind which seeks to gather as much data as possible before jumping to any conclusions, and never reaches any level of perfect certainty.

• I sell drugs to lethargic children and listen to Ariana Grande so maybe I'm not the best person to speak on this subject. But what I've noticed about children is that they're modest by nature. They're not shameless but they learn to be shameless. And what I've noticed about society lately is a degeneracy of moral values and a loss of the sense of shame.

I believe we are all born with certain innate inclinations, inclinations towards a greater good. However we often become corrupted by our surroundings. What child wants to be a drug dealer, prostitute or tyrant when they grow up? Children are naturally innocent, sometimes their innocence is gradually lost and other times it is taken from them by force.

Most Helpful Girls

• Morality was developed by society as a crucial element of coexisting in harmony. Most of modern-day morality stems from archaic religious laws that help humans get along. It us fundamentally understood across most continents and religions that hurting people is bad and helping people is good. But different societies can decide their own morals or laws, creating problems, war, and any amount of disagreement

Morality is taught to us at a young age, beginning with our parents. Each family has their own ground rules of what is right and wrong. Government laws and religious obligations affect a family's arbitrary morals. Each neighborhood, community, state, college campuse et cetera designates a specific set of morals or laws

My coworker's daughter knew it was wrong to take a second crayon from the box "behind my teacher's back," but she didn't understand why or that she would get herself into trouble for telling her mom. Now she lies to avoid getting into trouble, so it's difficult for her mom to explain what is right and wrong

In a religious neighborhood, nudity is I huge moral flub, but nudist colonies have a much more lax view of morality in this sense

Difficulty arises when governmental laws do not dictate what is or isn't morale and people are left to determine it for themselves. Cheating on your wife may not get you stoned to death anymore (depending where you live), but it is still considered to be amoral because it harms another person and breaks a legal contract that is pricy to nullify, and it harms and children you may have for years to come. Promiscuity is considered amoral to many religious devotes, but is no longer considered amoral by a large subject of the population that holds no religious ties because it is no longer considered punishable by law (depending where you live)

Basically something is amoral if you king, God, or country tells you so. But the specific society, club, family, or association you live in can dictate their own set of morals. We mostly learn it from our parents, but also teachers and people we meet along the way of growing up

• This has been said a lot but I believe it is the person and their background. But even then, they could be a completely different person from where they grew up.

When we are kids, many are fortunate woh being able to be taught what’s right from wrong; but there are others who have to learn the hard way.

Even hen those who were taught right from wrong, when growing up, can completely change. The right becomes the wrong and the wrong becomes the right.

Yes people can be influenced by everything. Influence is bound to happen, it just depends on how the person takes it in. We can’t all have the same morals because not every person has the same thought process.

We react differently. Talk differently, think differently, and believe in different things. It just depends on how the person has been molded and how they have reacted, pondered and believing in the influence they have received.