Why is the world so lonely with 7 billion people on the planet?

Divorce rates have increased suicide rates have increased, everyone's cynical and have "realistic" distopian views. Why do you think people are so lonely and how do you think it could be solved?Why is the world so lonely with 7 billion people on the planet?
Updates:
Correction divorce rates have actually lessened, but fewer and fewer people are getting married.

Suicide is largely caused by depression which is a wide spread epidemic that we shun ourselves for having.

In my opinion there are many reasons why we don't get along, I may add them but I'd like to know what you all think. Thanks

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Divorce rates have increased probably because it's actually legal now and you don't need to murder your spouses to do so. Suicides because people don't believe every word from a guy in a white robe and pointy hat, so they can choose for themselves. Everyone has always been cynical, since humans have been humans. You just don't see history as cynical because you didn't have to live through it or care about it

1|0
    0|2
    • do you think there is any solution though? How can we advance or make any progress in a more positive direction?

• We can't. That's up to the individual to choose

Most Helpful Guy

• To start with divorce rates are rising for the simple reason as its not really being "prevented" anymore and not because more people are in bad relationships. Secondly humans have never been in a better situation than currently. If you think this is bad it was simply worse before. Lastly a lot of people suffer because they are not equipped to handle living a life with so much open free will and we got more time than ever to get bored and think pathetically depressing thoughts.

0|0
    0|0
    • For the most part, I agree. But I'm curious, do you think words like "pathetic" or "weak" should be used to describe depressed people and their thoughts, i. e. attributing them to their character? I ask because societies have a tendency to do that, which I think stagnates or makes the issue worse because it doesn't get enough attention.

• can't remember typing "weak" but whatever. Point is that few people are prepared against what reality will bring and the rest have to learn through a trial by fire. Doing something pathetically is not really surprising or wrong if you were never prepared for it in the first place.

I bet most people could not even properly identify depression in the first place, much less know how to properly deal with it.

• I was using a word that can be associated with pathetic to give more perspective. People hide what they go through because there isn't incentive to reveal it, but in rather punishment. And thank you for the response, valid points.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 3

• I don't know

0|0
    0|0
  • Because it's about quality, not quantity.
    There may be a ton of people out there , but you will rarely run into someone you get along with 100% of the time.

2|1
    0|0
    • I definitely agree for the most part, vut since everyone is flawed, I shy away from the 100% figure and replace it with something slightly lower. Do you think this state of social dynamics we're in can stand to improve, and if so, how?

• Instead of flawed, maybe different

• The Internet destroyed the natural mating process.
    It's done. It's gone. Toast...

0|0
    1|0

What Guys Said 6

• Because the world as a whole, which has 7bn+ people in it and is still growing, isn't the same as the western world. And according to a study, published in the Lancet, following trends in every country from 1950 to 2017, there has been a remarkable global decline in the number of children women are having, with feminism cited as the primary cause.

In 1950, women were having an average of 4.7 children in their lifetime. The fertility rate all but halved to 2.4 children per woman by last year. But this masks huge variation between nations- the fertility rate in Niger is 7.1, but in Cyprus, it's only 1. Most Western European countries, and North American countries, average around 1.5-1.8. And the required rate to maintain a stable population size is 2.1- whenever a country's rate drops below approximately 2.1, then populations will eventually start to shrink.

At the start of the study, in 1950, there were zero nations in this position. But as a result of fertility rate falls, nearly half of countries are now facing a "baby bust" - meaning there are insufficient children to maintain their population size. According to the study's researchers, "We've reached this watershed where half of countries have fertility rates below the replacement level, so if nothing happens the populations will decline in those countries. It's a remarkable transition. It's a surprise even to people like myself, the idea that it's half the countries in the world will be a huge surprise to people."

Which countries are affected? Why, the entirety of the non-Muslim world, of course (with the exception of a couple of Christian-majority exceptions, like Uganda, Angola and Madagascar). Even India and China's fertility rates have fallen below replacement levels. And it's only the Islamic world, and migration from it (along with the rest of the 'Third World'), which has served to mask this terminal decline, because low fertility has been compensated with migration in the West. But at a global level, there is no migration solution.

Countries are now facing ageing and shrinking populations, and the researchers state that workplaces are going to have to change; with both retirement and pensions set to become unsustainable, all will be forced to work until the day they die, for less and less. Most men want children, want families- but women 'liberated' by 3rd wave feminism hate them with a passion, so they aren't having them any more. Is it any surprise that the world's getting lonelier?

0|0
    0|0
  • Because nobody has an open mind with dating. They think they know what they want right away before they've even talked to anyone, and never change things up when it doesn't work.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think you have to understand that in America and part of the "West" this is probably the case. In many non-Western cultures, people do not have these kinds of loneliness issues. In America, there is this de-emphasis on culture and cultural bonds. I guess because of our issues with racism, we think all group identity is bad. That makes for a lot of lonely people. We have a very robotic overall culture. And you can tell this instantly when you go to a different society.

I was just so amazed in Turkey where people freely engaged each other, even as strangers. And how happy they were doing even the most menial jobs. Hard work was appreciated. It was just so different than being back in the States and seeing people interact with each other.

0|0
    2|1
  • Can we worry more about panda extinction? Or Japanese population decline?

0|0
    0|0
    • Or global warming, I understand there are other issues. In a way that's a great answer. When we help others, we may very well help ourselves.

• Because of modern technology , life was much simpler and happier back in days before internet.

0|0
    0|0
  • No answer but beautiful question, well done

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes