Why is the world so lonely with 7 billion people on the planet?

Divorce rates have increased suicide rates have increased, everyone's cynical and have "realistic" distopian views. Why do you think people are so lonely and how do you think it could be solved?Why is the world so lonely with 7 billion people on the planet?
Correction divorce rates have actually lessened, but fewer and fewer people are getting married.

Suicide is largely caused by depression which is a wide spread epidemic that we shun ourselves for having.

In my opinion there are many reasons why we don't get along, I may add them but I'd like to know what you all think. Thanks

47

Most Helpful Girl

• Divorce rates have increased probably because it's actually legal now and you don't need to murder your spouses to do so. Suicides because people don't believe every word from a guy in a white robe and pointy hat, so they can choose for themselves. Everyone has always been cynical, since humans have been humans. You just don't see history as cynical because you didn't have to live through it or care about it

• do you think there is any solution though? How can we advance or make any progress in a more positive direction?

• We can't. That's up to the individual to choose

Most Helpful Guy

• To start with divorce rates are rising for the simple reason as its not really being "prevented" anymore and not because more people are in bad relationships. Secondly humans have never been in a better situation than currently. If you think this is bad it was simply worse before. Lastly a lot of people suffer because they are not equipped to handle living a life with so much open free will and we got more time than ever to get bored and think pathetically depressing thoughts.

• For the most part, I agree. But I'm curious, do you think words like "pathetic" or "weak" should be used to describe depressed people and their thoughts, i. e. attributing them to their character? I ask because societies have a tendency to do that, which I think stagnates or makes the issue worse because it doesn't get enough attention.

• can't remember typing "weak" but whatever. Point is that few people are prepared against what reality will bring and the rest have to learn through a trial by fire. Doing something pathetically is not really surprising or wrong if you were never prepared for it in the first place.

I bet most people could not even properly identify depression in the first place, much less know how to properly deal with it.

• I was using a word that can be associated with pathetic to give more perspective. People hide what they go through because there isn't incentive to reveal it, but in rather punishment. And thank you for the response, valid points.