Would you date someone if they were unemployed?

I certainly would, how about you?Would you date someone if they were unemployed?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
I'm a bit disappointed that the poll turned out the way that I expected. I thought you girls would be shallow and say no, so I hoped that you'd prove me wrong, and you didn't. Oh well, nobody needs you anyways

2|1

Most Helpful Girls

• It depends on the circumstances. What age is this person, what circumstances is this person going through, how many time has he been unemployed, is this person actively finding a new job, is this person studying or thinking about studying, would this person take care of the house if they can't find a job?

So in the right circumstances I wouldn't mind to date an unemployed person

1|1
    0|0
    • To the update: Well, it was obvious many girls would say no due to tradition: "men has to be provider". But it's a 50/50, so it's not that sad. Also we don't know what girls saying "it depends" voted or if they voted.

• Show All
    • 😁😆😀😀 what's wrong with what I said? you would date a 500lb woman would u?

• Read what I said again

• I fail to see the relation that could even remotely exist why one should not date an unemployed person.

Most of the unemployed are not in that state because they want it but most probably because of a lagging economy, health issues or because they are single parents, to name just a few.

When you develop feelings for someone, then this situation should not become a handicap for happiness. It may be a temporary state and this person may very well be very qualified. I know of doctors with a degree that are unable to find a job just because the market is dry or another circumstance that put that person out of a job.

An unemployed person is not a human that has the plague or is missing 2 limbs and deserves your love just like any other human that does not have this handicap.

1|1
    0|0
    • I am unemployed, due to injury sustained in service, i claim no benefit, so fuck you idiots chatting shit , i survive myself

• Show All
    • No problem, you are a beautiful person x

• @stuie74 beauty is not an excuse for lack of tact. And thank you for the compliment.

Most Helpful Guys

• I would much rather date someone financially stable. I want them to like and love me for my personality, not my wealth.

I have more respect for a woman who can take care of herself and has her life in order, ‘cause it weeds out the completely crazy.

0|0
    0|0
    • Being unemployed doesn't mean they aren't financially stable and doesn't take care of themself. It's quite hypocritical that you're judging (or attempting to) people based on their wealth, and you want women to love you for you, and your wealth not coming into play.

• Would you date someone if they were unemployed?
    How else is she gonna provide for me. My Netflix subscription won't pay for itself.

For real tho, Who cares if she's got a job? I certainly don't. I'm looking for a life partner, not a cash cow. I value a person's character more than their wealth, status and stature.
    Some people work to live while others live to work. Money don't mean shit to me.

1|0
    0|0
    • "How else is she gonna provide for me. My Netflix subscription won't pay for itself."

LOL.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 92

• If a guy is going through a rough patch but is actively searching for work to get back on his feet, yes, I wouldn't mind dating him. However, if he's simply lazy and doesn't want to work then no. I'm not interested in being in a relationship with someone who lacks ambition and work ethic.

0|3
    0|1
    • You could make the argument that people who settle for jobs that pay little and make them miserable lack ambition because they didn't go for a job they'd like

• Show All
    • P. S., sometimes a person's "dream job" is not at all what they imagined.

I didn't start out wanting to teach... well, not teaching children at least (I wanted to be a flight instructor). However, my father suggested I try teaching (he saw how I interacted with my niece and thought I was good at it... and he was right!). I went for it, and LOVED IT!!!

Sometimes, perhaps even often, what seems not to be a "dream job" turns out to be one.

P. S., I'm now considering a career in truck driving. Strange but true! I love to drive. I have no family holding me to one place. I love traveling. I have a friend who will teach me at a huge discount. AND THEY MAKE MORE THAN TEACHERS!!!

• They make more than teachers because they work for so many hours per week

• Yes

I would and I have. Most people do want to work. There's always a valid reason why people are unemployed.

Also, the interview process makes it even more difficult for a lot of people to find employment.

Being unemployed doesn't make a person undateable to me personally.

0|4
    0|0
    • Thai can't be more right. Great opinion!

• Show All
    • Following my heart resulted in my homelessness. I have a B. A. in English and communication and an M. A. in film. MY mom told me that I should learn to love accounting even though math was always my weakest subject (other than gym and industrial arts).

• @jmstarling

I think you have to be realistic when following your heart though. And not make hasty decisions. It's important to follow you're own heart in the sense that you don't do what others expect you to do, you do what's best for you. Sometimes people need to change their goals and aspirations, because it's not possible to always pursue them.

I had to change my goals in life due to circumstances beyond my control. So it's important to be able to accept changes in your life and adapt to changing circumstances.

• Depends on the reason they're unemployed. If they've been unemployed for the whole of their life & is simply lazy to find a job or do something, I'm nowhere near dating you.

2|0
    0|1
    • Dead @ how the person who asked the question thinks he has the rights to be "disappointed" in girls for having their opinion. Last I checked, who are you again?

• Show All
    • You do know you just sound like a salty unemployed person who's hating on females for not wanting to be with you.

• I'm not unemployed by the way, lol. And I'm not taking the bait

• If we were dating when he already had a stable job and got laid off then yes. But if we are now about to date and he doesn’t have a job and seems like a underachiever then that’s a big no.

0|0
    0|1
  • Unemployed? I would and have. Unmotivated to work? Not ever.

2|1
    0|0
    • As per your update. The majority of girls did say yes.
      And as for “nobody needs” women, speak for yourself.

• Show All
    • Are you looking for validation to being a bum or something?

• Yes, unless they were wanting to live off assistance/handouts or because they were lazy.

0|2
    0|0
    • I've got no one to help or funding me on musical stuff. Most of the things I've bought for me it'd all come from my money earning from the gigs. Guitars and rock and roll collection and food and bills. Etc. It's great how you can live off on your own and not depending much on your family over financial thing.

• Show All
    • @Rangers: Why were you wanting women to give you a shallow answer?

• I was hoping for the opposite, actually

• I would, as long as I knew the other person is actually trying to find a job.
    Let's put it this way: say you've been with someone for a while, and something happens to them, and lose their job. What would you do? Throw them in the streets? Dump them?
    BUT if the other person would accept the situation and decide to live together only on the money i'd earn, then there would definitely be a problem...

0|0
    0|0
  • I would if they were running some type of business or in school full time or if they didn't need money and were volunteering or recovering from an illness.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would but only if he actively looked for a job. I wouldn't want someone lazy.

0|6
    0|0
  • Nope. Unless he lost his job and is tryna work his way back up and is actively trying to look for a job.

3|1
    0|1
  • My boyfriend aged 26 is unemployed too but we're gonna complete almost an year together. He's unemployed right now, won't be unemployed forever. I want to be with him even if he has nothing, and I want to continue being with him even after he has everything because I love him so much.

1|1
    0|0
  • I left school without any grades and I done a hairdressing course in tech and was kicked out as I was always messing about and being a right bitch. So I tried for over a year to get a job but nowhere would take me. So I was unemployed or unemployable lol

0|0
    0|0
  • It would entirely depend on their attitude, whether they’re studying or not, their financial situation, etc.
    Like if you actually struggle to sustain yourself financially but have no intention to work and completely lack any ambition that’s a no go

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes and without all of these stipulations. If he’s a person I’m drawn to them I’ll date him. Employment doesn’t actually make you amazing.

0|1
    1|0
  • No, that would never be a smart choice for the future. But, I’m older so that is surely the difference. If I was younger. Yes, if they were in college and showed potential.

1|0
    0|1
  • It would depend on why they're unemployed. If it's because they got laid off, are having trouble finding jobs in their field, or are full time students I would consider it.

If they are just unmotivated to work, and/or living off trust fund money no.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would date someone who was unemployed only if they were actively looking for a job. If they could not get a job because of a disability or they had an illness I would not mind working for us at all.

0|1
    0|0
  • Well it depends on the circumstance I’m not that shallow. But if they just don’t have a job and they aren’t actively seeking one I wouldn’t bother wasting my time. I work too hard to come home to a guy doing nothing...

0|1
    0|0
  • If they were in a situation like me where they can’t find a job because businesses are only hiring people with certain skills but still actively looking for jobs, then yes I would. If they are just lazy and don’t want to work then definitely not.

0|1
    0|0
  • In the past yes. Now no. I am searching for someone serious. if he searches and can't find ok it's acceptable. But if he is just lazy fooling around and expects to live from my income then no.

0|0
    0|0
    • I agree with you.. if the person is trying that is different... but a lazy ass.. got to go.

• No I wouldn’t. My first love was unemployed but we were kids so I didn’t expect him to have a job.

0|0
    0|1
    • Why not?

• Show All
    • Okaybbut im not doing anything else so what’s the problem with me volunteering?

• I'm not trying to tell you how to live your life, I'm simply giving my side to the matter. And I just said, having a consistent paycheck moving in can allow you to experience new things. Probably not best for right now if you're going to college full time cause it was hell for me lol. But I wanted to speak in general what I thought about it.

• I'll have to say no. If it's something that was completely out of their hands, I might take a chance. But if they're able-bodied they have to make an effort to find a job and stick with it. This economy (USA) is terrible, a couple simply can't be together long term with one of them not receiving any income. Not unless one of them is making crazy amounts of money that both people can live on it. Otherwise they'll either struggle financially and/or get into arguments about why the unemployed one doesn't have a job.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would if they were working hard at college/uni, or looking for work constantly. I would also date someone who is on benefits for a reason, like.. unable to work due to their health. Long as they help around the house and things.

0|0
    0|0
    • Man, thank you for this I have Crohn's Disease and sometimes I think I'd rather stay home and work on my health and make sure my weight stays ok instead of working right now.

• @Euphoric Yeah, your health is more important. I'd support a partner until they were better. 100%.

• as long as they’re TRYING to do something then yes i would. i wouldn't date a bum that is unemployed because they are lazy.

1|0
    0|0
  • It would depend on why he's unemployed. If he's going to school or had a medical issue then no judgement. But if he's just sitting in his mamas basement doing nothing, I would definitely have some hesitations. However, if were dating, then it wouldn't be a big issue. I would prefer to do dates that didn't cost me a bunch of money. I'm financially independent and as long as he didn't have issues with ny financial success or me wanting to treat him then I wouldn't bother. But if things got serious, I would want him to be able to financially contribute to a home together before moving in with each other. So I hit no.

2|1
    0|0
  • yes, money isn't everything. it's about how they make me feel.

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes, if they were actively seeking employment/pursuing a true passion

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes but only if they are actively looking for employment or starting their own business. If they are the type to ask me for money then forget it. Been there done that.

0|1
    0|0
  • I probably would not date them very long. These kind of guys take for granted being unemployed and carry it out to the max on unemployment or other befits they try and live off.

0|0
    0|0
  • I woukd have to look into why, like do they have a solid work history and just hit a rough patch? Or are they always unemployed?

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

What Guys Said 101

• honestly no

0|0
    0|0
  • Love is love. I don't care if she's unemployed nor if she wants to stay like that--unless she wants a 5-star life. If she's happy with very little, fine with me. I've also been with a woman earning more than me, which is still very rare because women--they don't want to hear this--are very money focused and 99 times out of 100 they utterly insist on the guy earning more, which I think is very sad and represents un-love.

0|2
    0|0
    • You speak the truth good sir! Love is love, money or not, I just think it's say that so many of us have chosen money and what it buys, as more important than being happy in love and just going with what less money buys. On. Fucking. Point.

But bottom feeders are on the bottom... it's like homosexuals figuring out which one it's going to be... Doesn't matter which role you play, but someone is going to get fucked.

• Show All
    • @D_Bone_Steak Plenty of rich guys get a girl who's much poorer. So why not the opposite? If you love someone just because they're worth such and such, it's just not love and never will be.

• I'd buy you a beer if this was a bar.

• I agree with candy below, If there just out of a job for the moment , then yes i would but chances are there lazy SOB. that enjoys living off the government. I would ask them this " How long has it been since you last worked" . Answer me with 2 weeks or a month , And you have a date. Answer me with 1 year and your but is not going any where this lips , unless your just interested in sex only. Then Maybe "I am a male" after all... But if i was female. If would be a 100 percent NO...

0|0
    0|0
  • Economically speaking, unemployed means they are actively seeking work. (Hidden unemployment implies they have given up/are unable to). So the fact that they're at least trying to find work its fine I would say.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, I wouldn’t date someone unemployed, unless I make enough to carry both of us. But the work drive of my partner is sexy.

But unemployed us relative. Does she have an income?

0|0
    0|0
  • I did, I was well employed at the time and I like dhelping out, learning to skimp and work together.

It could be stressful so depends on the scenario. It's more about the person than their circumstances.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just because thier unemployed they might have more time to show you who they really are as being themselves spend moretime with you. Then they might not be employed but have social security, that shouldn't be a problem, they have steady income. They might be looking for employment, just haven't found a job yet. People that think people have to have a job even if they have social security is wrong, having social security is steady income regardless what people argue against!

0|0
    0|0
  • If she is unemployed the only time I would be interested is if she is looking for work or if she has other means. I want an equal partner not a dependent. If they are disabled and can't work that is a different story. But if they are in fact able, they should supply their own means.

0|0
    0|0
  • It of course is different for men and women. Men would naturally be more open to the idea of an unemployed woman, because he assumes she will do housework, whereas unemployed men are typically pictured as lazy slobs, who drink beer all day and live off somebody else. In this modern age, this is certainly not always true, but that is the idea.

0|0
    0|0
  • My sister was a nurse when she met and dated my now brother in law. He was unemployed at the time and I told her she was crazy. Now 7 years later she doesn't work and he brings in all the money. Looking back Im proud of her for not being as shallow as most. She saw he had the capability to perform well even though he was jobless at 31.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's very hard to get women interested in dating me because I go through long periods of unemployment due to the fact that I'm medically limited to a desk job, offers are almost all short term, and there are long gaps between them. I'm not willing to have sex outside a serious relationship, so that may also be a factor, since a broke guy might seem more like fling material..

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes ! Like between jobs. I my self have been on an extended vacation. Getting ready to go back. This time off has been fantastic ! If I could figure out a way to stay away I would.
    After 35 years it would be nice to do something that is more rewarding. Teaching, Volunteeing start my nonprofit back up.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure most girls in their early twenties are in school and don't have much money anyway

0|5
    1|1
  • I wouldn't date anybody at all anymore either way, regardless. No point in doing so, and I just find it simply as unnecessary.

0|0
    0|1
  • If they have no intention to stay that way and is working on it, yes, if they are perfectly content being a slouch, no, never.

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess it depends who they are as a person, why they are in this situation, and where I am in life. I wouldn't be against it but I'm not going guaranteed to say yes even if they're great in every other way.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, it depends on what situation they were in, school, depressed and being in-between jobs makes a difference. But just because they are lazy would be a big difference

0|0
    0|0
  • The person counts to me - how they treat me, they will get a job. How you are treated by a person is what matters. If you like being around them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends why and for how long. I work seasonal jobs so spend time in between work. And for those in school it makes sense to focus on that.
    But if she’s just a bum that has no interest in work, then no way

0|0
    0|0
    • What were you expecting? Most people, not just girls, want a partner that has their shit together. I’m surprised 65% said yes

• 55% said yes, and I was expecting them not to rumble so much on the surface. Just because someone is unemployed doesn't mean their life isn't together just like it doesn't mean an employed person has everything together.

• If I made enough to support us both I'd be OK with it. But she has to do something with her time, I don't want to date someone who just sleeps all day.

0|0
    0|0
  • In my current situation, I don't have an either opinion since I'm not employed anywhere. Women usually reject guys who aren't employed or actively ambitious for life anyway.
    After I do get employed somewhere, I'll probably lean towards "no" myself.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would prefer a partner that chose to stay home and raise a family over a career. Not very realistic living in CA. Where the “blue collar house wife” is on the endangered species list.

0|1
    0|0
  • My choice is not dependent on how much she earn.. Love matter more than this. People run for money that is why they are not happy even after marriage.. They need to search a partner who wants to listen their feelings and thoughts..

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes but if they start mooching off me then I’ll tell her to get a job.
    If she refuses but still tries to use me for my hard earned money then she needs to go.

0|0
    0|0
  • If she was going to school I wouldn't mind. As for being unemployed herself depends on why she is unemployed maybe in between jobs or got laid off. I honestly wouldn't want to support someone who didn't want to work.

0|0
    0|0
  • I was unemployed...10 years later she's still staying with me... and I'm still unemployed.

Just get buff and get a girlfriend.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on circumstances. If they're in between things with a plan for their future then it wouldn't be an issue.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, but if i found out they have been unemployed for a long time or because of some shit. Then im going to dump them quick!

0|0
    0|0
  • Are you seriously asking? Women love broke losers! I'm not sure why, but they do.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends. If they're unemployed due to being in school full time or getting laid off but still looking for work then yes. If they choose not to work when they can then no.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes